PDA

View Full Version : Simple drills sought - have Out to in swing AND not enough / suffice left hand over..

s12raider
6th July 2009, 11:59 AM
Guys and Ladies,

I'm left handed (insert comments).

Ok that's out of the way. I went to Callaway today for fitting which was really good as machine showed what I had thought but also something I did not know.

1) I have a mild out-to-in swing which puts 2-3 degrees of side spin on the ball causing to slice and also lose distance etc

2) The "new" thing is that when I have impact with the ball (and mostly hitting at 86-90% consistency) I do not roll/flip/crosstransfer my left hand over my right until a good 15 CMs or so after hitting the ball causing even more slice.

So aside from finding out that my shafts were too light for me (which I knew) I came away not being pushed to buy (in fact the guy said to come back in 1-2 months) instead to look at the crossover / flip /etc -

SO ANY DRILLS YOU CAN RECOMMEND FOR THIS (aside from changing back to RH?).

Thanks

Toolish
6th July 2009, 12:17 PM
Don't flip it, learn to roll it.

Only real drill I can suggest is start with shorter swings and actively monitor it. Swing back to where the shaft is first parallel to the ground (about waist high), then through the same distance and focus on rolling the wrist so that by the end of this shorter swing the toe of the club is pretty much vertical. Do it by rolling the wrists/forearm, not flipping and bending the right wrist.

if you can do it for this length swing then work up.

BTW, who is that in your avatar?

Russ
6th July 2009, 12:24 PM
My coach gave me a little drill to help get me to understand how the arms should roll during my swing.

Grab a club, and put your top hand where it usually is on the grip. With your bottom hand, grab the shaft directly underneath the grip (think Happy Gilmore putting grip). Although the club will be about a foot or so off the ground, do everything else the same as you normally would - stance, posture etc - and do some practice swings. You'll soon get the feel of how your hands should rotate properly.\

.. and as Toolish mentioned, when on the range trying new things, half-swings are your friend.

s12raider
6th July 2009, 12:34 PM
Many thanks - tried to post a link to the Monica Bellucci clip (type her name and Malena and you watch one clip --- metacafe.com/watch/938353/monica_bellucci_clip/).

Cheers for the drill and advice. FLip was my word to describe what I needed to do - roll is what I meant and will likely be easier said than done but will try this.