PDA

View Full Version : Orthotics for Golf

just
4th July 2009, 08:37 AM
Ladies and Gents
My feet, ankle and knees feel pretty ****ed these days after a game of golf. And before anyone says anything, I know part of the problem is the excessive poundage I carry around. However, I think part of the problem is shoes. Has anyone here gone to see a podiatrist and have orthotics? Use them for golf? Has it made a difference?
Thanks for the help!

adlo
4th July 2009, 08:40 AM
Yes, yes and yes. Do it.

Eag's
4th July 2009, 09:29 AM
Go to the gym ya fatty boom bah !

Speaking of which, how is the running going Rich ;)

razaar
4th July 2009, 09:31 AM
Do you do any stretching exercises for the legs, hips, ankles and insteps?

Flowergirl
4th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Orthotics will help but I hate to say that the extra weight will be the main problem. Your feet just can't cope with carrying the extra weight. Trust me - the difference with me losing weight has been amazing!!! I struggled to play 9 holes without pulling up sore - now 27 holes is easy.
Tackle the weight issue - you'll never look back.;)

zacdullard
4th July 2009, 10:06 AM
I went to check out orthodics a while ago.

They had special one made for golf which apparenlty add 5-10 metres onto your drive :lol: Not quite sure how they do that.

Anyway my feet are the same as yours as they get sore after a whole day at the course. I think orthodics would help.

Grunt
4th July 2009, 10:11 AM
I have never had a problem but I am pretty anal when it comes to shoe fitting. I try to get the best fit I can. If they start to hurt it must be time for a new pair.

Jarro
4th July 2009, 10:50 AM
just isn't fat ... he's big-boned

Golfer69 is fat.

oobsadd2
4th July 2009, 11:57 AM
I got fitted for orthotics because one foot would go numb whilst running. I tried to play golf in them as well and struggled. I gave up on them entirely and use running shoes for pronation. I think it was a 600$ experiment which didnt work for me.

markTHEblake
4th July 2009, 12:20 PM
Just, I was diagnosed with badly pronated feet a long time ago. I bought a $40 pair from the chemist a couple months ago, and i think they have some benefit, the definitely have me walking a little differently. I also got some 'funny' twinges in me chronically bad back for a while as my body settled into a different posture, but I think it was for the good. It is hard to distinguish between a placebo effect and a real benefit, but from what little I know about feet, it has to be an improvement for me.

I started a thread on this a few years ago, there was lots of good advice from the other Ozgolfers there as well that have used retail and custom made orthotics.

simmsy
4th July 2009, 12:51 PM
Just, i originally got orthotics due to working in steel cap boots all day and having a bad back and knees from various injuries. the orthotics really helped me walking 18 holes no question. If you have Private health, then it works out pretty cheap.
I now have a pair in my runners, work boots and golf shoes to save me having to change them around.
Definately worth investigating imo.

Yossarian
4th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Mate go see a podiatrist, saved me a lot of aches and pains. Are you arches collapsed?

just
4th July 2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The excess kilos will be departing at some stage hopefully. I am going to see a podiatrist and see what they say!

Mate go see a podiatrist, saved me a lot of aches and pains. Are you arches collapsed?
No, I have high arches.

Johnny Canuck
4th July 2009, 07:52 PM
hey just, my feet gave out about two years ago. instead of paying $600 to the podiatrist, i went and saw a physio guy that made up a couple of pairs from pre-existing moulds on the spot, about $40 a pop. they are fantastic and i don't go anywhere without them.

try that route before dropping big $$.

just
4th July 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks mate, I'll check it out!

Yossarian
4th July 2009, 07:56 PM
The podiatrist if he is a good one can do some cheapies up. My understanding, very limited, of the issues regarding feet is that if the arches are collapsed there is a problem if not your feet should be ok. That was my problem because when the feet are flat it rolls your ankles and knees on an unnatural angle to compensate. Happy to be corrected there though.

Have you played a lot of sport? Like footy and high impact stuff?

adlo
5th July 2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The excess kilos will be departing at some stage hopefully. I am going to see a podiatrist and see what they say!

No, I have high arches.

I have high arches too. They are a must.

MatthewM over at tgf is a podiatrist is you want to ask him a question or two.

PeteyD
5th July 2009, 08:07 AM
Man up! If you had feet and knees like mine I'd understand.

I have tried the Gel inserts and they seem to work ok. Bet bet is to see a podiatrist and see what they say. Panadeine is my friend.

dhills2
5th July 2009, 05:21 PM
Podiatrists are gods. Best $500 I ever spent. Helped my back as well. I got the hard plastic & leather topped orthotics but the soft inserts are probably better for golf & much cheaper... just not as durable.