PDA

View Full Version : Golf Digest US Open Challenge

razaar
3rd July 2009, 03:08 PM
Received from USGA today -

You saw how Bethpage Black challenged the world’s best golfers two weeks ago, as 29-year-old Lucas Glover overcame the toughest of course conditions and outlasted final-nine charges from Phil Mickelson, David Duval and others to win the 109th U.S. Open.

Now see how a star-studded foursome of amateur golfers fare on the Black, playing from the same tees and under the same rigorous U.S. Open conditions, when the Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge airs Saturday at 2 p.m. (EDT) on NBC Sports.

Headlining this year’s Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge:

• Michael Jordan, a six-time NBA champion and perhaps the most electrifying, clutch athlete ever, with tour star Fred Couples on his bag
• Ben Roethlisberger, the Pro Bowl QB who guided the Pittsburgh Steelers to two Super Bowl wins, with 2008 U.S. Open runner-up Rocco Mediate as his caddie
• Justin Timberlake, one of the world’s top entertainers, who vowed to better the 98 he shot at last year’s Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge at Torrey Pines. This year his looper is PGA Tour star Anthony Kim.

Our three celebrity contestants will be joined by Larry Giebelhausen, a 59-year-old police officer from Phoenix, Ariz., who will be representing 73,581 contestants in trying to break 100 on a U.S. Open setup – a challenge Tiger Woods sparked two years ago when he declared that a 10-handicapper could not break 100 at Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club the way it had been set up for the 2007 U.S. Open.

Tune in to NBC at 2 p.m., Saturday, July 4, to see all the highlights as our four brave amateurs battle the Black Course at Bethpage State Park, host of the 2009 U.S. Open Championship (http://usga.ionmx.com/apps/redir.aspx?type=1&l=UhjadBJ&t=e0e-11366-11366-262c-e4b76&U=http%3a%2f%2fwww.usopen.com%2fen_US%2findex.html ).

shavey
3rd July 2009, 04:24 PM
I remember reading something about this a few weeks ago.

Jordan had to take an unplayable on the first hole after an errant drive but finished the back nine in only a couple over.

shavey
3rd July 2009, 04:27 PM
SPOILER (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1904531,00.html)

razaar
3rd July 2009, 04:56 PM
Yep I had seen the results, kinda hoping it may get coverage on Fox (eventually).

PeteyD
3rd July 2009, 07:28 PM
They did this last year at Torrey Pines as well.

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2009, 07:54 PM
They did this last year at Torrey Pines as well.

Good work Sherlock. I take it you didn't bother reading Raazar's post that stated that?

PeteyD
5th July 2009, 07:20 PM
I had no interest in information on Justin Timberlake.

moree golfer
6th July 2009, 12:30 PM
If someone sees it advertised on Fox Sports or ONE please post the viewing date/time here as I for one would watch it.

Courty
6th July 2009, 06:46 PM
There's an outside chance I'll be going to the US next year. If I do, my buddy in Atlanta wants to do a road trip up to New Yawk to take on Bethpage Black & try to break the 100. :D

PeteyD
6th July 2009, 06:54 PM
Good ruck.