PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid vs fairway in same loft

macjackass
2nd July 2009, 10:15 AM
Just wondering how much longer a fairway wood will be than a hybrid with the same loft?

henno
2nd July 2009, 10:20 AM
COR and shaft length should be the only factors that would change distance, shouldn't they? (Assuming shaft weight/flex/kick, swing weight, etc were the same.)

I'm sure the gurus will correct me.

virge666
2nd July 2009, 10:21 AM
Depends on your swing.. fairways have more spin and a higher launch.

Think of it this way ... 21 degree club

Irons - low launch and spin
Hybrids - mid launch and spin
Fairway - high launch and spin.

match your swing to your preferred method.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2009, 10:37 AM
Just wondering how much longer a fairway wood will be than a hybrid with the same loft?

entirely depends on the length of shafts, which is also a major factor. If the length is the same, then the distance will be so close you cant determine the difference.

General rule of thumb for a typical (oz)golfer, Half in inch of shaft length, is going to be somewhere around 4-5m. you would have to be a really long hitter to get bigger distance gaps than that.

If you think about the distance gaps in your irons, half is attributed to 4 deg of loft, the other half is the 1/2 inch of shaft.

3oneday
2nd July 2009, 10:40 AM
There is no way I could hit a 5 wood as far as I hit my 18° hybrid.

No guru reason, except that my hybrid wouldn't fly as high as my 5 wood.

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 11:55 AM
Depends on your swing.. fairways have more spin and a higher launch.

Think of it this way ... 21 degree club

Irons - low launch and spin
Hybrids - mid launch and spin
Fairway - high launch and spin.

match your swing to your preferred method.
Is the higher launch because the weight is further back in the head? I was thinking a hybrid goes higher than a FW but then again until I shaft up my 15deg and 18deg heads I have never used high lofted FW.

razaar
2nd July 2009, 02:21 PM
At our level its all about which club you have more confidence in. The shorter shaft of the hybrid should encourage better contact because you are closer to the ball. Ball placement is another factor with the hybrid played more towards the centre than a fairway wood, encouraging a slight move onto the ball action than a sweeping, hit past yourself action. The hybrid will swing heavier than the fairway wood or it should. IMO it doesn't really matter because these aren't really our scoring clubs, more for positional play and recovery situations. Best bet is to have one of each if you can't decide.

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 04:36 PM
I soon will have 13deg FW, 15deg FW, 18deg FW and 18deg Hybrid to choose to put in the bag. The Fairway woods are all TM 200 series and the hybrid is an Adams Idea Pro.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2009, 06:46 PM
At our level its all about which club you have more confidence in.

exactly, the club that goes further for the individual is the easiest one to hit

daMANiack
3rd July 2009, 06:04 AM
Hi,

I decided to remove my Nike SQ2 15* f/way wood for an Adams A3 Boxer #2 16* hybrid as I wanted to add a Callaway X-Forged 52* GW to my X-Forged 56* SW and 60* LW. I now have roughly 10 metres between each club from 3 iron to LW and that's a hugh (+) on full swings.

I haven't noticed any concernable loss of distance and as shaft is slightly shorter, I'm keeping it in play more.

The Adams A3 Boxer hybrid has a maraging face and the ball is quite HOT off the face.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

macjackass
3rd July 2009, 11:29 AM
As a low ball hitter I think I need the fairway wood. Anyone hit an ozik altus in a hybrid? If it's as high launch as they say then it might be ok.

virge666
3rd July 2009, 11:47 AM
As a low ball hitter I think I need the fairway wood. Anyone hit an ozik altus in a hybrid? If it's as high launch as they say then it might be ok.

Try a Fuji Bonsai or an Axiv Blue in 75-80g

3oneday
3rd July 2009, 12:13 PM
Try a Fuji Bonsai
aren't they pretty short ???

;)

virge666
3rd July 2009, 02:17 PM
aren't they pretty short ???

;)

Yeah - and they take AGES to make...

just
4th July 2009, 08:45 AM
After the driver in my bag, I have a 4 or 5 wood as my next longest club. In the past three years I have now gone through about 7 or 8 variations and none of them work to my liking. Is it time to try a lower lofted hybrid, say a 17* or 18* on the assumption that the shorter shaft will get me better contact? I am thinking one of the TM jobs, like a Burner or 09 Rescue, happy to hear any other suggestions. Should I give up on a 17*/18* and just try a 19*/20*?

markTHEblake
4th July 2009, 12:23 PM
Is it time to try a lower lofted hybrid, say a 17* or 18* on the assumption that the shorter shaft will get me better contact?

Well thats roughly 4 Wood , so if you think you need better performance or reliability out of your 4 wood, then why not.

just
4th July 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Blakey, I am going to give it a go. I'm not after a massive amount of distance, just more reliability than I get out of my 4 wood. I seem to be very incosistent with the 4 wood and I am hoping the shorter shaft will help out.

markTHEblake
4th July 2009, 12:38 PM
I am hoping the shorter shaft will help out.

it will, shorter shafts are easier to hit. many golfers tend to forget that ;)