PDA

View Full Version : 20 x 20 overs

Onewood
13th January 2005, 07:50 PM
What does everybody think of Australia A playing Pakastan every second day, it seems :roll:

Mixed bag for me....Its good to see the A player get a go, "BUT" look at all the oneday practice we are giving them :evil:

Today we're giving them batting practice for the last 10 to 15 overs of a main game :roll:

amanda
13th January 2005, 08:01 PM
I don't mind the format - usually with one-dayers I never get to see the first innings - nice to see the whole game. I'd buy a 20/20 ticket over a day-nighter.

Onewood
13th January 2005, 08:08 PM
Make that good batting practice for the tail enders :D 4/25 off 6 :shock: chasing 186 :roll:

Fishman Dan
13th January 2005, 09:11 PM
Fun to watch, and will appeal to the Amanda's, but it's just not cricket. You get Team A through some luck and good batting scoring well, and Team B falter and the game is over in 5 overs (or vice-versa).

Only rewards slogging, no room for sustained tactical batting, seeing the Michael Bevan's of the world rescuing seemingly unwinnable games through good thinking cricket.

Game is over in 3 hours, so it will be a winner with the fans, to the demise of 1-day games? The crowd was huge, i wonder what the ticket price was?

damoocow
13th January 2005, 09:33 PM
20/20 is not enough to save cricket - I propose 2/2 -
[each player must bowl one ball - incl 12th man] -
each over must take no longer than 4 mins.

that way we could do an entire world cup type championship in one day - now that would be something to see .
damoocow

Onewood
13th January 2005, 09:53 PM
20/20 is not enough to save cricket - I propose 2/2 -
[each player must bowl one ball - incl 12th man] -
each over must take no longer than 4 mins.

that way we could do an entire world cup type championship in one day - now that would be something to see .
damoocow

2 X 2 now you've got me thinking about this social game again....I'm keen as now..

damoocow
13th January 2005, 10:05 PM
Oh Kev you are a silly sausage - what about the sun ! - I guess if you only have to bowl one ball every hour or so it should be ok.
damoocow

Ona
13th January 2005, 10:12 PM
$10 entry I think.

India V Pakistan series played over there would be a corka. Imagine the atmosphere at one of those :shock:

Onewood
13th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Ona........break....what happened to your name?

Ducky
13th January 2005, 10:24 PM
It seems his name is going through a rather nasty seperation...

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

markTHEblake
13th January 2005, 11:36 PM
my old uncle is a passionate cricketer. He was pretty handy at the game, and is now an umpire. Ask him any question about cricket and he knows the answer. He refuses point blank to watch one day cricket - and has no interest in even knowing who won or lost. But he will watch every test match that he can see. I dont think there are many bigger cricket fans than he.

Perhaps his grandfather lost interest in test cricket when they introduced the 5 day limit, and hated the fact that teams played for a draw. My uncle beleives that a draw is entertaining.

Maybe our grandchildren will lose interest in the new form of cricket becuase it demeans the tradition of Twenty/20

Ona
13th January 2005, 11:54 PM
I asked clikchic to cut it down last night.. fast work, must have been my added insentive 8)

my golfing break has ended, although it may restart very shortly. just realised my seasons ticket runs out on the 16th :(

Jarro
14th January 2005, 12:42 AM
i loved the game tonight ... thought that 20 overs was just long enough to make it a "real" game.

Imagine what Gilly would be like in this format :shock:

Fishman Dan
14th January 2005, 08:11 AM
I think it came about because in 20 overs you get all the shots in a standard 50-over game without all the blocked/left balls, singles to boundary sweepers etc.

If you take Aust A's score from last night, then add 30 overs at about 4-5 runs per over, you've got a sensational ODI score of about 320 - which based on their batting yesterday would have definately been achieveable.

I think the added bits'n'pieces - fielding restrictions, time to bowl the overs, new batsmen at the crease in 90 seconds etc is clever. Not big on the Free Hit ball concept, but Ritchie was correct last night - you shouldn't be allowed to change the field for the Free Hit delivery.

AndyP
14th January 2005, 08:38 AM
What does everybody think of Australia A playing Pakastan every second day, it seems :roll:

Mixed bag for me....Its good to see the A player get a go, "BUT" look at all the oneday practice we are giving them :evil:

The first two were against the Windies, Kev.

Fun to watch, and will appeal to the Amanda's, but it's just not cricket. You get Team A through some luck and good batting scoring well, and Team B falter and the game is over in 5 overs (or vice-versa).
Yesterday's game showed the big negative of the format. The game was all over in 25 overs (when Pakis were 4/17, you could call it). Where was the entertainment in the next 15 overs.

Yet another format designed to suit the batters. :x
Give me Test Cricket anyday. That's a true battle between bowlers and batsmen. :smt045

INot big on the Free Hit ball concept, but Ritchie was correct last night - you shouldn't be allowed to change the field for the Free Hit delivery.
I don't mind the Free Hit rule at the domestic level. Drill it into the players before they play at an international level that no-balls are no good.
Saw a couple of Free Hits at the Gabba. It was definitely entertaining.

BTW, how good is Cameron White? :D

Bruce
14th January 2005, 08:44 AM
Channel 9 is gunna be all over this and pimp it hard. They get a whole game of cricket over in a single session of prime time television.

Apparently last night's game was not a good example. 20/20 is supposed to make things closer, instead the crappy batting by Pathetikstan ended the game by the 8th over of their innings.

AndyP
14th January 2005, 08:51 AM
Channel 9 is gunna be all over this and pimp it hard. They get a whole game of cricket over in a single session of prime time television.
And what great coverage it was too.

Since when did they change the rules to having 5 ball overs. Or did the other ball occur during the ad break. :roll:
I'm sure there was one over last night, where we only got to see a couple of balls. :x

Fishman Dan
14th January 2005, 09:14 AM
Andy - because of the time limits, we often missed the first ball of an over. The fielding team get ready and go as soon as they can. Failure to bowl overs means a runs penalty.

But how hopeless are TV commentators? We're 3 balls into the innings, Paki's have run 2 singles. TV puts up a scorecard that has not been refreshed yet - so it reflects the score as 0 for 1.

Ritchie's comment was that the score was currently 1 - after he saw, first-hand, and commentated on, all 3 balls and 2 singles scored??

I much prefer radio's coverage of the cricket, and not just for Kerry O'Keefe. It's a shame Channel 9 invented that 1/2-1 second delay between radio and TV, it's too distracting hearing what happens moments before the brain sees it :roll:

AndyP
14th January 2005, 09:34 AM
Andy - because of the time limits, we often missed the first ball of an over. The fielding team get ready and go as soon as they can. Failure to bowl overs means a runs penalty.
Ch 9 need to use the 15 second ads, instead of the 30 second ads for this format of the game.

But how hopeless are TV commentators? We're 3 balls into the innings, ..............
Wouldn't know, Fish. Qld didn't see the first half hour (17%) of a 3 hour game due to the news. Yet another great decision by Ch 9. :roll:

I much prefer radio's coverage of the cricket, and not just for Kerry O'Keefe. It's a shame Channel 9 invented that 1/2-1 second delay between radio and TV, it's too distracting hearing what happens moments before the brain sees it
Same for the footy too. :x

Fishman Dan
14th January 2005, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't know, Fish. Qld didn't see the first half hour (17%) of a 3 hour game due to the news. Yet another great decision by Ch 9. :roll:

17% eh? Nice work, Rain Man :lol: :lol:

AndyP
14th January 2005, 10:12 AM
Nice work, Rain Man :lol: :lol:
Yeeeeeaaaah, Charlie Babette.
Gotta watch Wapner.
Definitely lights out at 11.
:smt120

terryand
14th January 2005, 12:15 PM
AP, Its not nines fault the bloddy Qld Government won't get in line with the rest of the country wiht daylight saving :?

Terry.

AndyP
14th January 2005, 12:25 PM
AP, Its not nines fault the bloddy Qld Government won't get in line with the rest of the country wiht daylight saving :?
Are you saying that the news absolutely has to be on at 6pm every weeknight?
Ch 9 don't seem to have any problem moving the news on the weekend.

terryand
14th January 2005, 12:31 PM
Are you saying that the news absolutely has to be on at 6pm every weeknight?
Ch 9 don't seem to have any problem moving the news on the weekend.

As much as you and I would like to think so... The world doesn't evolve around the cricket :smt102

I guess nine leave the news there th cater for "we don't want daylight saving cause the extra hour of light will fade the curtains" mob :roll:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
14th January 2005, 01:03 PM
I guess nine leave the news there th cater for "we don't want daylight saving cause the extra hour of light will fade the curtains" mob :roll:

It's not so much the news - but when we have to watch "A Current Affair Summer Edition" is when i crack it. :evil: ](*,)

AndyP
14th January 2005, 01:05 PM
It's not so much the news - but when we have to watch "A Current Affair Summer Edition" is when i crack it. :evil: ](*,)
At least you are missing out on Brisbane Extra on top of that.

Jarro
14th January 2005, 02:41 PM
as far as the ads go, why doesn't channel 9 just run them across the bottom of the screen.... like they do at the big games in the USA.

.. that way you never miss the action, but still feel the need to go get some KFC :wink:

A Current Affair should be dropped anyway, what a pathetic program :evil: