PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a Corner Lounge with sofa bed on the Gold Coast

moree golfer
1st July 2009, 09:42 AM
As the title says my wife is bunging the weights on me to find a new corner lounge suite with a lift out sofa bed for guests. I have checked a few online sites incl. Super Amart and Freedom. IKEA don't have in stock the one we had our eye on. Not looking for a flash lounge just a plain jane fabric number. Super Amart looks like it may have a suitable model for around $2K which is about the dough I am willing to spend.

If anyone has been shopping lately for the same style of furniture I am keen to hear your thoughts.

BrisVegas
1st July 2009, 10:48 AM
I just bought two new lounges. Definitely worth looking at Super Amart. If you can get to their Springwood store (the old Ikea) ask for Malcolm and tell him Dion sent you. He might be able to get you a deal (he's my F.I.L.). I was wanting to get the Melrose corner suite as it's very solidly built and big enough to look ok in my living area. I lost the battle for the corner suite in the end....

I actually got a Bay Leather Republic 3+3 seat lounge on the weekend from Big Brand Outlet at Aspley. BBO sells overstock and 2nds stuff from Freedom, Bay and a few other places. Worth a look if you're after a bargain.

PeteyD
1st July 2009, 03:00 PM
Oooh. What sort of $$ are they like?

BrisVegas
1st July 2009, 03:06 PM
Oooh. What sort of $$ are they like?

Are you asking about the BBO lounges? If so, then it's luck of the draw on what stock they have and whether they're marked or as new etc.. fwiw, the couch we got was $700 cheaper by buying it through BBO than by getting direct from Bay Leather Republic even with their mid-year sale that's on currently.

moree golfer
1st July 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks BV, I was going to visit Logan Central as it is sort on the way to the GC via Toowoomba. Is the Melrose bloody huge as the dimensions seem massive ie 3.5m wide and nearly 2.8m deep? Unless we rethink where we put the lounge it's not going to fit where our current three piece suite is. I am looking at the Cathay model as it has a foldout sofa bed for inlaws/visitors to sleep on. Again it's nearly as big as the Melrose.

PeteyD
1st July 2009, 04:43 PM
thanks BV, that is what I wanted to know.

goughy
1st July 2009, 06:41 PM
Check if the sofa bed sections are dual fold, not triple fold and if the mattress is an innerspring instead of a foam mattress.

In general sofabeds don't make great seating as they tend to sink in the middle more than the sides etc etc as the tramp base and the mattress are the seating support. I find that dual fold mechanisms with an innerspring mattress tend to make a better seat.

Or go for the rolls royce. The bed action in our lounge chair would retail for about $700 on it's own without the chair. Sits great though ;)

moree golfer
1st July 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the tip on the dual vs triple fold Goughy. I found out the Amart model is just too big for our small lounge room, no matter what I do to rearrange things. I need the depth sub-2.4m, at 2.7m either blocks the front door or limits the room to get past it.

goughy
1st July 2009, 08:51 PM
So with the corner section about .9 square, you're only left with 1.5mtr including arm. Another .1 to .2 off for the arm and you have about 1.3 for seating. Basically more a standard 2 seater size, not a 2.5 seater and too small to fit the standard sofa bed mechanisms in. They need a seating width of about 1.54 between the arms.

How much do you really think you will use the sofa bed. Honestly, they are an aweful seat, unless you have something like we've got which you just don't find. A sofa with a bed like ours would run in the 3k+ range. I'm not a fan of them for that reason.

Looking around you can find some different styles of bed mechanisms. There are some that pull out from under the seating and then lifts up into place. They usually have a slat base in them. In a corner suite you would then probably have the bed section as well as the other corner length to act part of the bed. You'll never get that from Amart though. They basically import all their furniture these days (friend who works there told me that) and custom options through them are now days out the door. You used to be able to order a couch in a specifc fabric 'cause they used aussie manufacturers (and it used to cost a bundle extra. I can compete with those prices).

With your area restriction you are maybe having to look at a custom made option. I can tell you that it's not cheap. But you can get what you want. And it doesn't have to be anywhere near Jimmy Possum prices where a corner suite can set you back 16k!!!!

BrisVegas
1st July 2009, 08:57 PM
yeah the Melrose is a big lounge. That's why I liked it! (and of course why mrsbv didnt like it) We went with 2 x fairly big 3 seaters so we still have the right scale of lounge for our room, but it's a bit more flexible.