PDA

View Full Version : Club building....

TheNuclearOne
28th June 2009, 01:49 PM
How many guys in here active in doing their own driver and wood reshafting? What toolage do you use?

Would these be smick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140326734569&fromMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBERTS-PRO-HYDRAULIC-SHAFT-PULLER-the-best-for-less_W0QQitemZ110407648998QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_ Clubmaking_Products_US?hash=item19b4cf06e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Just being able to do my own woods would be fantastic.

What else would one need for the minor basics of this. I imagine some good epoxy, ferrules, a lil handsaw for shaft cutting, grip glue, some sort of knife for removing ferrules? Sandpaper for tips?

Cheers

Grunt
28th June 2009, 01:53 PM
Looks the good that i was looking at making/buying when I was right into this. Just got al too hard. Was easier just to buy another club.

TheNuclearOne
28th June 2009, 01:55 PM
That's what i feared lol. I'm one for trying different shafts and zeroing in so i think it'd be worthwhile with the bare requirements. I have no need to do irons.

perci
28th June 2009, 02:12 PM
Don,t do it you will drive yourself {and your misses} mad!

Timbo
28th June 2009, 05:38 PM
The shaft extractor looks pretty good. I made one myself, but at that price I wouldn't bother. Get a butane torch rather than the heat gun, it works much faster. Check out some of the Youtube videos featuring JB's shaft extractor (similar to the one on eBay), they are really easy to use.

And yes, your missus will be pissed off at the amount of time you will spend dicking around in the shed on the stupid bloody golf clubs.

Minor_Threat
28th June 2009, 05:46 PM
The shaft extractor looks pretty good. I made one myself, but at that price I wouldn't bother. Get a butane torch rather than the heat gun, it works much faster. Check out some of the Youtube videos featuring JB's shaft extractor (similar to the one on eBay), they are really easy to use.

And yes, your missus will be pissed off at the amount of time you will spend dicking around in the shed on the stupid bloody golf clubs.I wouldn't recommend a butane torch when dealing with graphite shafts! :shock:

perci
28th June 2009, 05:52 PM
Definitely not Butane heat gun is the way to go,I picked up a Mitchell shaft puller about 3 years and 200 shafts ago.Also got a loft lie machine that I regularly spend time with,the Misses just shakes her head!

henno
28th June 2009, 06:20 PM
I picked up a Mitchell shaft puller about 3 years and 200 shafts ago.Also got a loft lie machine that I regularly spend time with

And most Brisbane ozgolf members thank you for it. :)

Timbo
28th June 2009, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend a butane torch when dealing with graphite shafts! :shock:

I have removed plenty of graphite shafts using a butane torch (not propane) with no adverse effect on either the shafts or the heads. You are heating the head (moving the torch constantly) and the epoxy gives long before the graphite. The hydraulic extractor also pulls directly up off the shaft, there is no twisting whatsoever. The hydraulic extractor I made is also spring tensioned like the JB Pro model (don't know if the one on ebay is or not).

I know it's a bit long, but have a look at this demo on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjU7DrYb1qc

Minor_Threat
28th June 2009, 07:24 PM
I have removed plenty of graphite shafts using a butane torch (not propane) with no adverse effect on either the shafts or the heads. You are heating the head (moving the torch constantly) and the epoxy gives long before the graphite. The hydraulic extractor also pulls directly up off the shaft, there is no twisting whatsoever. The hydraulic extractor I made is also spring tensioned like the JB Pro model (don't know if the one on ebay is or not).

I know it's a bit long, but have a look at this demo on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjU7DrYb1qcYou stick with the Butane and ill take the Heat Gun.. ;)

perci
28th June 2009, 08:07 PM
You stick with the Butane and ill take the Heat Gun.. ;)

Shit yea,its about gettng them out with the least posible heat required!

Tomson
29th June 2009, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't recommend a butane torch when dealing with graphite shafts! :shock:

I prefer it to a heat gun.. especially if I have to get the heat into one particular area. Heat guns are to general, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing.

PeteyD
29th June 2009, 07:45 AM
Heat gun takes about 30 seconds and not a lot of chance of over heating. Better for amateurs like us.

chappy1970
29th June 2009, 08:06 AM
Another one for heat gun here, low heat shaft pulls are always preferred.

TheNuclearOne
30th June 2009, 06:15 PM
What are the basic options for sanding and prepping tips guys. How simple can we go.

Minor_Threat
30th June 2009, 06:18 PM
What are the basic options for sanding and prepping tips guys. How simple can we go.Bench grinder here and give it a slight roughness..

pt73
30th June 2009, 08:42 PM
What are the basic options for sanding and prepping tips guys. How simple can we go.
Bench grinder is easiest for steel shafts. I use a box cutter for graphite just to remove the paint then finish off with a piece of sanding belt.

simmsy
1st July 2009, 11:35 AM
where is the best place to buy epoxy for reshafting heads??

also what sort of solvent, grip tape should you use for redoing grips??

virge666
1st July 2009, 12:13 PM
where is the best place to buy epoxy for reshafting heads??

also what sort of solvent, grip tape should you use for redoing grips??

Buy some cheap sidewinders off me and use your air compressor - no one with any talent uses solvent/tapes/bostik any more... just too hard. If anyone tells you you need glue and tape - just nod and ignore.

Get some Araldite 24 hr 2 part epoxy and use that when starting out... you won't get bubbles in your glue... once you work out how to get rid of bubbles you can use 5 min epoxy.

When you buy your shafts - DONT FORGET to ask for ferrules - for the 50 cents they cost it is way easier than trying to save them.

zigwah
1st July 2009, 07:32 PM
do you put anything over the grip to put it on virge, how many psi do you use?

just
1st July 2009, 07:47 PM
Helpful vid here! (http://www.stargrip.com/Accessories.html)

henno
1st July 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't need the fancy nozzle as the $5 connection I bought works just fine, but what do you guys use when taking off grips to stop them exploding? (I have as yet only replaced worn grips, so I just cut them off.)

zigwah
1st July 2009, 08:03 PM
Helpful vid here! (http://www.stargrip.com/Accessories.html)

Thanx Just

Does this become harder to do if you have say more than 4 tapes on the shaft?

I have a set i'm going to do in the next day or 2, not sure if they have been glued or not, and i want to save them, so should i just get a syringe and pump some turps in?

zigwah
1st July 2009, 08:08 PM
I don't need the fancy nozzle as the $5 connection I bought works just fine, but what do you guys use when taking off grips to stop them exploding? (I have as yet only replaced worn grips, so I just cut them off.)

My dad made my nozzle bit, but we had trouble trying to get a grip off that had the sticky tape underneath was just blowing the grip up.

moree golfer
1st July 2009, 08:20 PM
I use Shellite tipped in the mouth of the grip with my finger over the hole at the butt end, swirl it around and then pour over the buildup tape or the bare shaft where the grip is going on. It will glide on without air even with a heap of buildup tape. Set aside in the sun near warmth and the Shellite evaporates without leaving a smell. Can get it next to Turps, Metho at any store that sells these hydrocarbons.

jonti
1st July 2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Henno,

Havn't done it myself but i have seen it done with a piece of PVC piping (45cm) that is larger in diameter than the grip.

Seem to work well, and would be a cheap option.

henno
1st July 2009, 08:35 PM
How do you grab the grip to pull it off if it is covered by pvc pipe? Or is that just until the seal is broken, then slide off the pipe and blow off as per normal?

zigwah
1st July 2009, 08:49 PM
I use Shellite tipped in the mouth of the grip with my finger over the hole at the butt end, swirl it around and then pour over the buildup tape or the bare shaft where the grip is going on. It will glide on without air even with a heap of buildup tape. Set aside in the sun near warmth and the Shellite evaporates without leaving a smell. Can get it next to Turps, Metho at any store that sells these hydrocarbons.

What is Shellite mate?

Is it another name for thinners

henno
1st July 2009, 08:59 PM
What is Shellite mate?

It's Shellite. Don't bother wondering what it is, just go to your local hardware and ask for Shellite.

It is great stuff. Although very very (and I mean very) flamable.

henno
1st July 2009, 09:00 PM

Sort of. That's like saying that unleaded is another name for diesel.

zigwah
1st July 2009, 09:11 PM
Sort of. That's like saying that unleaded is another name for diesel.

Zippo lighter fuel?

henno
1st July 2009, 09:15 PM
I can only assume it is a major part of the mix that is Zippo Lighter fluid. Of course, I have no facts to back that up.

zigwah
1st July 2009, 09:24 PM
Will it dissolve masking tape? i assume it would have to?

henno
1st July 2009, 09:25 PM
Just the glue bond.

zigwah
1st July 2009, 09:41 PM
Just the glue bond.

Which would be the same again when the shellite dries?

moree golfer
1st July 2009, 09:51 PM
Zig I have used clubs I have done in this fashion for over twelve months without a hint of slippage. Shellite is a fuel for camping stoves.

Henno, I use a piece of old shaft protector tube that a mate was throwing away. If you can get something in a similar diameter, cut to just longer than a regular grip and I slip it over the grip, insert air and grap the very end of the grip and twist while the air is flowing under the grip and voila.

zigwah
1st July 2009, 09:56 PM
psi from the compressor?

zigwah
1st July 2009, 09:59 PM
Zig I have used clubs I have done in this fashion for over twelve months without a hint of slippage. Shellite is a fuel for camping stoves.

Henno, I use a piece of old shaft protector tube that a mate was throwing away. If you can get something in a similar diameter, cut to just longer than a regular grip and I slip it over the grip, insert air and grap the very end of the grip and twist while the air is flowing under the grip and voila.

Moree, have you taken grips off with a compressor that have been glued or that double sided sticky tape?

Timbo
1st July 2009, 10:26 PM
I've never used it, but I wonder if a short length of 40mm layflat hose over the grip would do the trick to stop bubbling/exploding grips??? As long as it is strong enough (I think it would be), you could still grab hold of the grip quite easily.

henno
1st July 2009, 10:28 PM
I've never used it, but I wonder if a short length of 40mm layflat hose over the grip would do the trick to stop bubbling/exploding grips??? As long as it is strong enough (I think it would be), you could still grab hold of the grip quite easily.

Not a bad idea. :-k

PeteyD
2nd July 2009, 06:40 AM
you put the tube on leaving the last 1" or so of the grip (the butt end) exposed. When the grip is filled with air it should pull off really easily. from the end. Can be tricky with glued grips. Bit of thinners etc in the end and then air, and gently twisting the grip to break the glue seems to work, but saving glued grips is problematic unless you are patient.

chappy1970
2nd July 2009, 08:45 AM
The question of ferrules raised by Virge. I had trouble until dad showed me a quick trick, which was to boil the kettle. Poor some boiling water on the ferrule, it will expand for a brief time (1 or 2 seconds tops), make sure you are wearing gloves or have a towel nearby, quickly pull it up the shaft a couple of inches. Saved.

You can then pull the head of the club and remove the ferrule (hot water again), or just leave in place and move back down when you install a new head.

Chappy

sms316
2nd July 2009, 08:56 AM
Only if the person who put it on didn't get glue in there.

chappy1970
2nd July 2009, 09:16 AM
True SMS, but even in that case, I have had moderate success in moving the ferule.

Boiling water does amazing things

virge666
2nd July 2009, 09:20 AM

Rubbish. :)

40mm tubing is the answer - leave the butt of the grip exposed and just blow off as normal. Bit of air and twist off. Takes all of 5 seconds. But if you guys want to screw around with needles, solvents and injecting into the grip - be my guest.

I probably replace over a thousand grips a year - in my earlier days, a lot more. The only grips you have to glue are grips with corners like rib reminders, Lambkin torsion control and some putter grips. The others just blow on and blow off. No solvents, no lubricant, no saliva, just air out of a $68 air compressor.

As for PSI - as much as you like. The more - the easier it is. The PVC tube with stop any blowouts.

As for the adapter - you can get the star grip adapter for all of $25 or a spray gun adapter or anything with a nozzle that you can put inside the butt of the grip and keep it there.

For a shaft extractor - get this. i have one of these in my garage now for 4 years and it is still going strong.

http://www.theextractor.com/

sms316
2nd July 2009, 09:28 AM

Too much like hard work. :mrgreen:

I prefer this method....

When you buy your shafts - DONT FORGET to ask for ferrules - for the 50 cents they cost it is way easier than trying to save them.

A $20 bag of ferrules saves a lot of time and effort. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

zigwah
2nd July 2009, 09:28 AM

40mm tubing is the answer - leave the butt of the grip exposed and just blow off as normal. Bit of air and twist off. Takes all of 5 seconds. But if you guys want to screw around with needles, solvents and injecting into the grip - be my guest.

I probably replace over a thousand grips a year - in my earlier days, a lot more. The only grips you have to glue are grips with corners like rib reminders, Lambkin torsion control and some putter grips. The others just blow on and blow off. No solvents, no lubricant, no saliva, just air out of a $68 air compressor

Is it as easy as this for grips that have been glued? to blow off?

sms316
2nd July 2009, 09:29 AM
Is it as easy as this for grips that have been glued? to blow off?
Yep. The glue used isn't exactly Araldite.

virge666
2nd July 2009, 09:37 AM
Yep. The glue used isn't exactly Araldite.

Exactly - and agree on the ferrules. We use to save them using chappy's boiling water method - but in bulk they cost about 20 cents each .... who cares.

The only real thing to worry about is DO NOT leave the ferrule on when you heat up the hosel. Cut the ferrule off first - otherwise you will be cleaning bits of melted ferrule for hours.

Enjoy

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 09:37 AM
Zig the glue is only rubber cement or the like. Sharp burst of air is going to break the bond pretty quick.

I use the XT Extractor too Virge although I have found some graphite shafts hard to pull but were usually the ones factory installed. Anything I have done with my 24hr golf-specific epoxy pulls easily with a little heat.

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 09:38 AM
How do you cut the ferrule off without nicking a graphite shaft Virge? I am always a bit nervous going at it with a stanley knife.

virge666
2nd July 2009, 09:40 AM
I use the XT Extractor too Virge although I have found some graphite shafts hard to pull but were usually the ones factory installed. Anything I have done with my 24hr golf-specific epoxy pulls easily with a little heat.

Your right Tom, Titty are a good example - some of those can be real bastards. As long as you are using a heat gun - just heat it up more. You won't hurt the paint with the heat gun. Don't forget to heat up the heel side of the face as well. Neat trick I picked up off the "SST Pure" guys.

If you are using propane or butane... then you need to be more gentle.

PeteyD
2nd July 2009, 09:41 AM
I like the look of that shaft extractor. The nut and everything folds open?

virge666
2nd July 2009, 09:46 AM
I like the look of that shaft extractor. The nut and everything folds open?

Great bit of kit for the dosh.

It doesn't fold open, the bolt just pushes wider.

Tomson
2nd July 2009, 09:48 AM
The only problem club I have every had was a srixon driver its the only one I have had to ever cut and drill. I don't know what glue they used but it would not let go.

zigwah
2nd July 2009, 09:48 AM
OK got it, i think, just need to get the 40mm tubing, and wait for grips and have a go

zigwah
2nd July 2009, 04:42 PM
Do i have to do anything to a grip that i have blown off that has been glued on before i blow it back on another club?

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 04:46 PM
No

zigwah
2nd July 2009, 04:58 PM
thank you :)

moree golfer
2nd July 2009, 04:59 PM
I thought it best to keep my answer brief.

zigwah
2nd July 2009, 05:07 PM
no worries mate got the info i needed

cheers :)

perci
2nd July 2009, 05:53 PM
How do you cut the ferrule off without nicking a graphite shaft Virge? I am always a bit nervous going at it with a stanley knife.

I just sqeeze the ferulle with multigrips and twist them away from the head then after the head is pulled remove it,no need to use a knife,with steel shaft I leave the ferulle where it is and just point the heat gun away from it,works great!

TheNuclearOne
3rd July 2009, 06:12 PM
Some unreal advice in here and i have learnt heaps already.

How about the cleaning and prepping of the hosel for the new shaft?

Also, any glue application tricks? Virge, could you tell us more about bubbles in the glue?

Steel shafted irons sound like a reasonably easy pull, plenty of heat well down from the ferrule with no graphite like fragility.

I'm going with the Wishon 24 hour epoxy for starters.

Ferrule choices for woods?

Would we do a dry run, and place the ferrule just above where it finishes before gluing shaft and head?

Cheers guys, this is great.

Read some good stuff about heating below hosel for 30 secs, sit 1 minute, try puller, then repeat again as neccessary.

goughy
3rd July 2009, 06:36 PM
What is Shellite mate?

Also similar to dry cleaning fluids. I use it for getting greasy or oily marks out of fabric.

zigwah
3rd July 2009, 07:37 PM
Also similar to dry cleaning fluids. I use it for getting greasy or oily marks out of fabric.

Had a look in Bunnings and found it, but i'm hoping that i won't need it :)

Would carpet dry cleaners use it too?

simmsy
4th July 2009, 12:55 AM
My air compressor just has the standard car valve attachment on it.
can you get adaptors from SuperCheap Auto or somewhere to fit into the butt end of the grip?

Don't worry about it I am an idiot!

fergi
4th July 2009, 09:15 AM
hi guys, i have had a fitting for a set of irons to be made, i am in adelaide and found a guys name etc on the internet,i am still a bit apprehensive about it all as the guy hasnt actually told me what heads he is using, says he will see when he goes to pick them up at his supplier as to what is available,they are not the top of the range irons /shafts as i have a limited budget but they are costing me $600, they will have graphite shafts ,regular, irons will be slight offset and lambkin grips.he did all the testing and measuring in a huge shed out the back of his place, he didnt have any fancy equipment like drummond golf but he had a speed meter, and different head shaft combos that i tried.also he has all the gear to check loft/lie etc. just wondering if you guys still reckon it is worthwhile, drummonds have a set of calloways on special in all of their stores at the moment for $597 with steel shafts
. cheers
fergi
ps, anyone know where he may be getting the components here in adelaide

simmsy
4th July 2009, 01:04 PM

Henno, what $5 connection did you buy??
I've only got my car compressor and am looking for an attachment from the car nozzle valve to some kind of needle point to ram up the butt of the grip.

see the explanation above.

simmsy
4th July 2009, 06:37 PM
What can be used to safely hold a shaft securely in a vice??

Thinking maybe two blocks of hi density rubber with a small v-groove cut out of it?

any thoughts?

senecio
4th July 2009, 06:40 PM
I just sliced an old grip length ways and wrap that arounf the shaft before putting it in the vice.

It's cheap and it works.

Minor_Threat
4th July 2009, 06:45 PM
What can be used to safely hold a shaft securely in a vice??

Thinking maybe two blocks of hi density rubber with a small v-groove cut out of it?

any thoughts?Thats basically what the proper shaft holding devices are.. See image below:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ab/48/f6f7_2.JPG

PeteyD
4th July 2009, 07:10 PM
What senecio said is what I use.

chappy1970
6th July 2009, 02:41 PM
I have one of those holders MT and they are the great, cost bugger all to.

zigwah
6th July 2009, 04:21 PM
Did my first grips with a compressor today, and everything went well whole easier than i expected.

Just had to be careful not explode the old grips.

So yeah easy to get off then easier to put back on different clubs.

Just have to wait for my grips to arrive and i'll be in business.

Thanx for all the input from everyone :)

TheNuclearOne
17th July 2009, 11:14 PM

Major kudo's for this!!!! You'll see why later.

So here is how my so far education has gone.

Got the tools, shaft puller linked first post, a good heat gun, grips, ferrules, glue, angle grinder, tape etc, etc.

My first extraction went incredible. Low temp on the heat gun, 20 secs no result. 30 secs then and it came stright out :shock:

I knew this was against the grain, jeez. Next one was shafted local and god knows what with. Messed around for ages, longer periods on higher temp eventually and no luck.

Did two shafted by a guy i know uses the good gear and nailed them easily and with low heat. On one i got more aggressive with the shaft clamping and jack use and it pulled a head i was about to reheat.

Went back to hard one and got it on the second reheat this time with plenty of clamp and jack power.

Took on the two dangerous ones then, Cobra's with graphite crowns. Wet shammy and low heat (heated one softly 5 separate times before succeeding) and there were no drama's.

Glue arrived next day so onto that. Glued 3 up yesty and providing they hold together tomorrow i'm shocked at how well things have gone. Cutting the tips with a 4 inch angle grinder and 1mm blade was shockingly easy. Got to smooth some tips out with the wet n' dry, one new one with paint to the tip. Glued both surfaces and got a little seepage on each one so had enough in there i presume. Mixed glue heaps so that should be ok. A tidier job than i expected.

Now all i pray for is no heads fly off :oops:

But Moree saved me as i expected to be able to get my grip bostik locally and after going berko today trying to procure and failing i was getting quite irrate. Looked all thru Bunnings for ANYTHING even remotely suitable and nosiree 3 reshafts and looked like the two needing grips might not be getting hit for days!

Early tonight (after i'd given up on finding the glue) i looked into this thread remembering someone talking about grips and there it was. With great luck Bunnings not only had it but was open till 9. The grips are now on and apart from being too stingy on the fluid first attempt got them gripped without drama.

Cheers dude, now i can test em out tomorrow. Oh, and hope the heads don't fall off, my absolute last worry.

Only blemish in the whole affair was the damn knife slipping cutting a ferrule and scraping some paint off one of the damn heads. I'll try the boiling water mentioned earlier, and when it don't work i'll put a towel over the head.

My two challenges now are to drill out two lead tip weights out of their hosel and also want to work out how to do shaft extensions. I've got two or three shafts i want to tip 1/2 - 3/4 inch then extend back out to their former length.

Cheers all. Special thanks to Nige as well, he's fielded a few calls and give me some great tips and basics.

perci
17th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Yea Nuke rather than cutting Ferules with a knife try grabing them with muligrips or pliers and twisting them loose.

TheNuclearOne
17th July 2009, 11:43 PM
Will do Perci, i positively hate running that knife. So easy to nick the paint off the shaft too.

zigwah
18th July 2009, 12:17 AM
Ive had fun with this also made a shaft puller, pulled shafts out of a 909D2 and a MX500 easy as put in new shafts and put grips on with compressor the next day took me about 15 minutes to do 10 grips, awsome.

next, shaft extensions, whats the go here?

daMANiack
18th July 2009, 05:24 AM
Hi,

Goto your local hardware store with a club with grip installed and get a piece of PVC pipe just bigger than the grip so you can place pipe over grip prior to using air to remove.

If the grip wants to bubble, it can only expand to the inside of the pipe and you can mostly use these grips again.

Any exploding grip is confined to within the pipe.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Did my first grips with a compressor today, and everything went well whole easier than i expected.

Just had to be careful not explode the old grips.

So yeah easy to get off then easier to put back on different clubs.

Just have to wait for my grips to arrive and i'll be in business.

Thanx for all the input from everyone :)

zigwah
18th July 2009, 09:56 AM
Hi,

Goto your local hardware store with a club with grip installed and get a piece of PVC pipe just bigger than the grip so you can place pipe over grip prior to using air to remove.

If the grip wants to bubble, it can only expand to the inside of the pipe and you can mostly use these grips again.

Any exploding grip is confined to within the pipe.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

I got a piece of 2 inch pipe, cut about a cm length ways out of it and pulled it together with hose clamps that i had lying around magic!!

grandmasterb
21st July 2009, 02:18 PM
Is there a general rule on how many times a shaft can be pulled/reused before you will have trouble with it???

kev
21st July 2009, 03:54 PM
Does that come under the "more than 3 shakes" theory?

grandmasterb
21st July 2009, 05:02 PM
Does that come under the "more than 3 shakes" theory?

You would think so considering i got jacked around by my local pro to only end up have the shaft come out of the driver after hitting 6balls :?

simmsy
22nd July 2009, 01:42 PM
whats best for building up a grip?
just normal old masking tape?

goonie
22nd July 2009, 01:53 PM
I just use masking tape, I've done heaps of clubs and it works a treat. I don't like using double sided tape.

henno
22nd July 2009, 01:54 PM
Wide masking tape. But I buy decent stuff, not the $0.99 from Bunnings just to ensure I don't get that nasty glue residue if and when I decide to take it off again.

simmsy
22nd July 2009, 02:08 PM
thanks lads.

virge666
22nd July 2009, 06:43 PM
whats best for building up a grip?
just normal old masking tape?

I use Gaffa/cloth tape for the base and top it off with painters tape.

I always buy 2 inch tape.

henno
22nd July 2009, 07:11 PM
That must be difficult to get off if and when you want to get rid of the gaffa tape, virge?

grandmasterb
22nd July 2009, 10:12 PM
Well i got charged $20 to have driver shaft changed and it lasted 5 hits before coming lose. Local pro said that it was the first time it had ever happened to him and blamed the shaft (reckons there wasn't enough paint on the tip???)

So now i either take it to someone else and get them to try or give it ago myself but am i kent for thinking that i've been ripped off a little when he didn't even offer to try again???

Oh and he took 4 extra days to get the club back to me which left me without a driver and still dont until i re-glue it!!!

zigwah
22nd July 2009, 10:17 PM
I'll sort it for ya whats his number :)

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2009, 11:05 PM
Well i got charged $20 to have driver shaft changed and it lasted 5 hits before coming lose. Local pro said that it was the first time it had ever happened to him and blamed the shaft (reckons there wasn't enough paint on the tip???)

Someone correct me if wrong, but i thought the idea was to get rid of all paint on the tip :shock:

Glues better to the raw graphite than paint, lord. Otherwise how on earth would we all sell our pulls :mrgreen:

The 6 clubs i built in like 3 days have now all been tried and smashed and all held together and i was an absolute rank beginner. The one i repulled tonight took a mountain of separating so i know my gluing was up to scratch.

You could easily get a small amount of epoxy and have a go yourself. I am shocked at how easy it all is with due care taken of course.

Bungeye
23rd July 2009, 09:19 AM
"reckons there wasn't enough paint on the tip"?? WTF?, there should be NO paint on the tip, unless you want to follow the head down the fairway one day....to pick it up. I reckon he should fix it for you, although, if he gave that answer, I'm not sure if I'd want him to.

Another thing I do is rough up inside the hosel using a dremmel to get a good epoxy bond. Also clean both the inside of the hosel and the tip of the shaft with acetone (a quick wipe) prior to gluing to get rid of any dust/debris which may get in the epoxy as well. Probably overkill, but haven't had a head come loose yet.

Good tip I got was to leave some of your epoxy from the batch you've mixed aside so you can check the consistency and cure later on. I mix up on some 2" masking tape glued to the work bench, and just leave the residue there to check the cure. Then, once I've checked it, rip the tape off the bench and chuck it in the bin.

virge666
23rd July 2009, 09:50 AM
That must be difficult to get off if and when you want to get rid of the gaffa tape, virge?

I use to think so with all grip tape - BUT... once you heat it with the heat gun... it jst falls off the shaft.

Gaffa is just there to save time... it is equal to about 2.5 wraps.

Anyone with a medium glove size will be - one strip of cloth tape and one of masking tape.

Save a fortune on tape . . !!

henno
23rd July 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm regripping my irons tonight, so I'll make sure I buy some gaffa today. Thanks for the tip Virge!

Tomson
23rd July 2009, 10:06 AM
Another thing I do is rough up inside the hosel using a dremmel to get a good epoxy bond. Also clean both the inside of the hosel and the tip of the shaft with acetone (a quick wipe) prior to gluing to get rid of any dust/debris which may get in the epoxy as well. Probably overkill, but haven't had a head come loose yet.

I don't know if this is correct or not but I was taught not to put acetone near the shaft or hosel because if there is a residule of acetone then the glue could have alittle trouble bonding to shaft and hosel.

I use metho to clean everything.

virge666
23rd July 2009, 10:11 AM
I don't know if this is correct or not but I was taught not to put acetone near the shaft or hosel because if there is a residule of acetone then the glue could have alittle trouble bonding to shaft and hosel.

I use metho to clean everything.

They are both solvents and they are both very volatile so they evaporate without much drama.

Shoudl not be an issue. I reckon the guy was just a dick.

Lastly - you always get the paint of the tip. Always. You can use whatever you like... I have a sanding belt... but you can just scrape it off with a stanley knife.

Bungeye
23rd July 2009, 10:16 AM
I did wonder about that Tommo, but acetone evaporates much more quickly than metho and with less residue (I think), and I wipe with a clean cloth after to make sure it's all clean. I used to worry about acetone and graphite shafts, but the small amount used, and the minimal contact I reckon the chances of it affecting the shaft is nill.

Having said that, metho is probably a better thing to use as acetone is a known carcinogen. I just have a big tin of it lying around from fixing epoxy on a boat! When it's gone I might try metho out. Only problem with metho I think may be the stuff they put in it to make it purple (to stop loonies drinking it) which may not evaporate, or may leave a residue (not too sure), have you noticed any?. Maybe ethanol is a solution?

3oneday
23rd July 2009, 10:17 AM
you can just scrape it off with a stanley knife.
That's usually what I do, use the stanley.

Tomson
23rd July 2009, 10:57 AM
Bungeye, I went to use to one time and was given the drum by the clubmaker, so I have never used it. I do use the acetone to turn my ferrules down (i use a cloth belt if I am doing large amounts) and I have noticed sometimes it takes the shine off the shaft but being careful there are no problems.

I take the paint of the tip in different ways, knife, file, sand paper, sanding belt, a done it well with a wire wheel. As long as you don't damage the graphite you're right.

Timbo
24th July 2009, 10:51 AM
Virge, how long do you normally give the epoxy to set on a driver before putting it in play? I put a new shaft in yesterday morning and I might get a chance to sneak off from work later this afternoon*. Araldite says maximum strength achieved after 3 days, but left-over glue seems quite set.

* Important: Lake situated in front of 2nd tee, deep water!

virge666
24th July 2009, 01:43 PM
Virge, how long do you normally give the epoxy to set on a driver before putting it in play? I put a new shaft in yesterday morning and I might get a chance to sneak off from work later this afternoon*. Araldite says maximum strength achieved after 3 days, but left-over glue seems quite set.

* Important: Lake situated in front of 2nd tee, deep water!

I played the club champs last year with a 3 wood that had 24 hour epoxy in it 12 overnight... did it at 4pm and played with it at 7am

Go and hit it. !

Timbo
24th July 2009, 06:27 PM
I played the club champs last year with a 3 wood that had 24 hour epoxy in it 12 overnight... did it at 4pm and played with it at 7am

Go and hit it. !
Thanks Virge, still in one piece.:D

zigwah
25th July 2009, 10:06 AM
What's everyonne using to cut shafts? a pipe cutter?

TheNuclearOne
25th July 2009, 10:26 AM
Don't use that for graphite Zig, whatever you do lol.

I last week nabbed a cheap crappy little 4 inch angle grinder from /bunnings on special right now for $39.95. I've also nabbed a wheel as small as i could get (1mm or maybe less). Made 8 or 9 cuts now with zero drama.

zigwah
25th July 2009, 11:05 AM
I was going to do that, i have a drop saw with a cutting wheel, but i thought a pipe cutter might be more accurate, i'm cutting steel shafts :)

Pipe cutter worked beautifully :)

TheNuclearOne
25th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Fine for steel.

zigwah
25th July 2009, 09:03 PM
just have to wait for glue to dry, cut to length, regrip and i've built my first set of clubs, spine aligned and custom made for me. yay ching ching, savings :)

virge666
25th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Angle grinder for me - pipe cutter just blunts too quickly on the tensiled steel of golf shafts.

zigwah
25th July 2009, 09:58 PM
what size blade? drop saw?

TheNuclearOne
25th July 2009, 10:31 PM
what size blade? drop saw?

The thinnest you can get mate.

zigwah
26th July 2009, 08:29 PM
what does everyone cut graphite with a hacksaw?

goonie
26th July 2009, 09:51 PM
I use a pipe cutter for steel (but virge is right, they do blunt quickly) and for graphite, masking tape and a hack saw.

zigwah
26th July 2009, 09:59 PM
I use a pipe cutter for steel (but virge is right, they do blunt quickly) and for graphite, masking tape and a hack saw.

Found out today they blunt quickly, blunt after one set of shafts and it was the old boys good one. :roll:

TheNuclearOne
26th July 2009, 11:24 PM
what does everyone cut graphite with a hacksaw?

Like i said earlier, the 4 inch angle grinder with super thin blade. It'll cut anything shaft wise. Goes thru graphite like butter.

zigwah
26th July 2009, 11:28 PM
what role does torque play in a shaft?

TheNuclearOne
26th July 2009, 11:47 PM
what role does torque play in a shaft?

A general rule of thumb is the strongest swings want lower torque and much smoother swings like more of it. Also bear in mind some companies claimed torque ratings are quite a bit different from what is real. A company like Fuji is known to be very strict when rating torque, and if it's claimed to be low you better believe it.

zigwah
26th July 2009, 11:57 PM
so what number range passes as low torque and so on?

simmsy
27th July 2009, 12:09 AM
i'm no expert but I thought anything sub3.0 was getting pretty low.
i feel i like torque around low to mid 3's.

TheNuclearOne
27th July 2009, 12:20 AM
so what number range passes as low torque and so on?

As Simmsy said, anything under 3 is pretty low. 4 or over i see as getting high.

Just for comment i had trouble hitting the 757 (2.5) On great swings or for very small periods shots could be incredibly rewarding, but day in day out it was too much for me, and it wasn't stiffness or weight so i assume it was the low torque. The WB73 is another on the cusp for me. The BB73 and F7M2 are smicko for me.

zigwah
27th July 2009, 12:31 AM
does torque affect ball flight or accuracy more?

TheNuclearOne
5th August 2009, 06:11 PM
The question of ferrules raised by Virge. I had trouble until dad showed me a quick trick, which was to boil the kettle. Poor some boiling water on the ferrule, it will expand for a brief time (1 or 2 seconds tops), make sure you are wearing gloves or have a towel nearby, quickly pull it up the shaft a couple of inches. Saved.

You can then pull the head of the club and remove the ferrule (hot water again), or just leave in place and move back down when you install a new head.

Chappy

You are brilliant mate. Worked a treat. The best thing is you can try a different shaft and still glue the stock shaft with original ferrule straight back in if need be. Cheers!

henno
5th August 2009, 06:13 PM
This thread is gold. Any other "obvious" tips?

(Obvious to the seasoned club builder, unknown to wannabes like me)

razaar
5th August 2009, 07:11 PM
This thread is gold. Any other "obvious" tips?

(Obvious to the seasoned club builder, unknown to wannabes like me)
Let the experts do it? May be cheaper in the long run.

henno
5th August 2009, 07:12 PM
Not taking up golf is cheaper in the long run as well, but far less interesting.

virge666
5th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Not taking up golf is cheaper in the long run as well, but far less interesting.

Top Answer !

:smt038

Captain Nemo
25th August 2009, 12:15 PM
Anyone know if there is a Dremel bit strong enough to cut steel and graphite shafts?
Has anyone got one or tried?

virge666
25th August 2009, 02:14 PM
Angle Grinder is the way to go.

Captain Nemo
25th August 2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, just thought if i get the air attachment, there might be a cutting wheel you can use?

virge666
25th August 2009, 04:34 PM
Ok, just thought if i get the air attachment, there might be a cutting wheel you can use?

Nah - Pipe cutter for $20 or Angle grinder for $30

Captain Nemo
25th August 2009, 04:46 PM
Done, off to Bunnings!

just
25th August 2009, 05:16 PM
I have used a Dremel with a cut off wheel with no problems.

Captain Nemo
11th September 2009, 09:11 AM
Virge, Thomson et al;
Anyone tried or have one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190334194825&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Only reason i ask is Virge that Nozel you gave me, i cant find a Butane cyclinder to fit?
I probably would have to go to a specialist Gas centre like BOC or welding/plumbing place?
Would these do the job, heat wise?

pt73
11th September 2009, 11:03 AM
From the heat output it looks like a butane powered heat gun.

I've got one like below that puts out more heat but less than propane:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IRODA-BLOW-TORCH-HIGH-OUTPUT-GAS-BUTANE-PT-500_W0QQitemZ200379655954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I _Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item2ea78ee712&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Tomson
11th September 2009, 11:54 AM
I have the same one as pt73 and I have a mapp gas as well and a heat gun.. all do the same thing... all good.

Captain Nemo
11th September 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys, will trawl the bay for one!