PDA

View Full Version : CAD Program.

ParMaster
27th June 2009, 10:53 PM
Golfer69 reccomended that i buy a CAD program. I know absolutely nil about these things but i'd be using it to design/re-design golf courses.

Can someone shed some light on this? Just tell me anything there is to know about the system, what it is and just anything that could be of some use.

Any reccomendations aswell for a particular one?

Minor_Threat
27th June 2009, 11:01 PM
If you really want to go down the CAD path try AXCAD (http://www.axcad.com/) it has a decent trial period and is decent enough to learn on. However the trial does not do 3D if this is what you are after.

You should expect to go through a huge learning curve if you have not used any CAD software before.

What exactly do you want to do? I think you would probably have better luck hand drawing your designs.. See below for an example

http://www.carrickdesign.com/images/workingdwg.jpg

AndyP
27th June 2009, 11:06 PM
We have a draftsperson at our work that does all the CAD stuff with AutoCAD. Training courses are required to use these programs as they seem pretty complex.

Yossarian
27th June 2009, 11:09 PM
Parmaster are you good at maths, geometry and trigonometry?

ParMaster
27th June 2009, 11:12 PM
Im pretty decent at maths but not as good in trig.

Minor_Threat
27th June 2009, 11:14 PM
Parmaster are you good at maths, geometry and trigonometry?That is irrelevant. You do not need these skills in order to design good golf holes.

Do you think Norman, Nicklaus, Player or Faldo are good at Maths or Trig?

ParMaster
Well andy im into GCA and i just basically want to brainstorm ideas for my home course.

Yossarian
You don't need to be a genius, my Dad taught CAD for a long time at high school and there is definite advantage to being good at the maths and picking up the CAD.
Put your mind to it and you'll be right.
Pretty sure there was a specific CAD for landscapes and stuff which could be the go

ParMaster
27th June 2009, 11:15 PM
I know LESS than nothing about CAD. Can somebody explain the basics of it?

Yossarian
27th June 2009, 11:15 PM
That is irrelevant. You do not need these skills in order to design good golf holes.

Do you think Norman, Nicklaus, Player or Faldo are good at Maths or Trig?

Wasn't talking about the golf hole design, just picking up the program.

ParMaster
27th June 2009, 11:20 PM
Maybe this is a more fitting question.

I know enough about architecture but what is the best way to actually get the "blueprints" for my suggestions. (I can't think of the way to word this)

Know what i mean? :?

Im off to bed. Gotta wake up at 5:30 am. yay :roll:

AndyP
27th June 2009, 11:21 PM
That is irrelevant. You do not need these skills in order to design good golf holes.

Do you think Norman, Nicklaus, Player or Faldo are good at Maths or Trig?Isn't Bob Harrison the brains behind Norman's courses? I assume the others have similar guys behind them.

ParMaster
27th June 2009, 11:22 PM
Would the architecture firms use CAD to produce their ideas?

Minor_Threat
27th June 2009, 11:24 PM
I know LESS than nothing about CAD. Can somebody explain the basics of it?Basically it is a drawing application which allows you to draw in 2D vectors or 3D solids / models.

It wouldn't be my choice to do golf course design especially if you have never used it before.

A quick google search came up with this (http://3dnature.com/golfarc.html). I have no idea if it is any good.

AndyP
27th June 2009, 11:25 PM
If you are really keen, PM golfer69. It's his thing. That and bunting.

Hux
28th June 2009, 09:08 AM
Mate the idea behind CAD at least in course design would be able to draw a model of the hole with all contours etc and allow a theoretical flyover of the design and make relatively easy changes (easier than redrawing by hand).
I could only guess that course designers use specific products or at least specific add ons to high end products like Autocad.

IF this is just to brain storm ideas at your club I would suggest that you will spend more time getting up to speed on a product and actually trying to achieve an outcome with the product (all of which have a steep learning curve) than you would by getting a contour map and then drawing over it and building a 3D model by hand.

kpac
28th June 2009, 09:55 AM
I know enough about architecture

really? not many do, as in globally maybe a handful of people are regarded as understanding that much about architecture. (dead and alive)

Google CAD programs mate, Archicad Autocad Mirco etc. There are plety of specific forums that could help you. If you want to learn - download Sketchup and draw. Heaps of tutes on the net. Have fun, dont expect to be able to model golf holes straight away though.

markTHEblake
28th June 2009, 10:34 AM
Links LS 2001 (or above) the APCD (arnold palmer course designer) application that comes with it is a CAD program.

oobsadd2
28th June 2009, 11:33 AM
Im a CAD drafter and use Auto Cad. I think id be looking elsewhere for golf hole design software. I seem to recall the name "Pineapple head" or something similar when they were doing fly overs in some of the golf courses.

Grunt
28th June 2009, 12:59 PM
Just an observation but wouldn't it look better to see sketches and other hand drawn stuff to show ideas. I agree on CAD being professional but wouldn't it show more intent to have hand drawn it, if that is the right word to the applicable people.

ParMaster
28th June 2009, 01:48 PM
really? not many do, as in globally maybe a handful of people are regarded as understanding that much about architecture. (dead and alive)

Google CAD programs mate, Archicad Autocad Mirco etc. There are plety of specific forums that could help you. If you want to learn - download Sketchup and draw. Heaps of tutes on the net. Have fun, dont expect to be able to model golf holes straight away though.

Your definition of "enough" must be quite different to mine. I don't know everything about architecture but (maybe this is a better word) i know sufficient to be able to constuct a decent hole.

Grunt
28th June 2009, 01:51 PM
Well that comment means that you should put it too OzGolf. If it gets passed as decent here then you can call it decent. Remember that a golf hole as decent to yourself will not be decent to the masses.

GC
29th June 2009, 09:37 AM
Autocad is the industry standard for most Architects and designers and engineiers, the reason for using it would be when the drawings where passed onto some to complete the work ( surveys, Ground Staff ect ) they all need to be able to understand the drawings, but if you where only making the drawings for yourself you could use any program that you understand.

Diggaboy1
29th June 2009, 10:07 AM
Being a Draftsman I can only assume that the course designers would only use a CAD system as a way of laying out a course and all the utilities it would require in a 2D plan and maybe some approximate measurements or starting point in a 3rd dimension. Also the placement Sprinklers, Water , drainage, Greens, Bunkers, lakes, ponds, cart paths, hazards and some strategically placed trees, but it's many good for the distances.

As for the contour stuff, most course use the existing terain as much as possible, I can't see anyone taking the time to cut and fill a course to the exact specification of a drawing or 3D model. The biggests benefit of the CAD system is to beable to make copies, or ammend/change the design quickly to meet the requirements of the customers eg Norman and the likes.

Toolish
29th June 2009, 10:19 AM
Drafter by trade here. Use Autodesk Inventor for all our work.

Would be a difficult task modelling a golf hole. Do you have terrain maps as a starting point?

ParMaster
29th June 2009, 04:36 PM
After reading this thread and your informative post G69...i think it's best if i just stick to hand drawing these things. :)