PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ozgolf Geeks ...

Jono
26th June 2009, 03:02 PM
Who uses Geek drivers here?

I'm thinking of getting a Geek head from the States.

I need a low low low spinning head. Which one is better? Fail Safe III or Dot Com This?

Until now, my Aurora has been the lowest spinning head as long as I catch it just right. I need something a little more forgiving.

just
26th June 2009, 03:08 PM
Henno has a couple plus fairways. I think Geek are going to release a new head soon.

Jarro
26th June 2009, 03:09 PM
Aren't low-spin and forgiving two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence together ?

Jono
26th June 2009, 03:41 PM
Aren't low-spin and forgiving two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence together ?

Put it this way. The Aurora seems to have a "hot spot". If I catch it right, it comes out flat with low spin and runs a mile. It's also 400cc so not as high MOI.

I want a bigger head without looking too big (if that makes sense) and something that feels even across a wider area (ie. no hot or cold spots).

henno
26th June 2009, 04:48 PM
The geek heads are great. The DCT is the pick of the bunch for me. Just bare in mind that they usually play lower than their stated loft, and measure just below as well. (i.e. Most 9* DCT heads are generally in the high 8.7-8.9 degree range.) So as a rule, compared to OEM heads you should probably play up a loft. My 12* doesn't go higher than most 10.5* drivers out there.

The fairways are so-so. Although I think in my case it is shaft-related so I'll reserve judgement until I put something a little heavier and higher launching in.

And yes, new heads will be forthcoming so I am hoping for a reduction in price on the DCT range.

TheNuclearOne
26th June 2009, 06:38 PM
The DCT is the go my man out of the Geeks. Similar to the J33R with a bit more forgiveness. Low launch low spin.

If you want to get real serious get a 8.5* 9015D with a shaft you favour and be prepared to be blown away. The DCT is good but this thing is GREAT. Stocko 60 Matrix leaves a bit to be desired for many. Sits a bit open.

TheNuclearOne
26th June 2009, 08:37 PM

Low spin and forgiving is more accessible than ever before. The TM TP 2007 Version 1 is unreal, the 9015D is pretty forgiving, the Rapture V2 is good both ways, the S9-1 Pro's are good etc. A lot of manufacturers now seem to see the need for a genuinely low spin model.

Courty
26th June 2009, 09:59 PM
Send Tomson a PM. He has/ had a few Geek heads.

oobsadd2
26th June 2009, 10:16 PM
I bought a Geek driver from Tomson, 10.5 deg with House of forged X stiff shaft. I used it for a few rounds then benched it. You can have it for what I paid.
('dot com this' driver that is)

Jono
26th June 2009, 10:56 PM
I bought a Geek driver from Tomson, 10.5 deg with House of forged X stiff shaft. I used it for a few rounds then benched it. You can have it for what I paid.
('dot com this' driver that is)

Too much loft. I'm thinking more like 8.5

Jono
26th June 2009, 11:00 PM
The DCT is the go my man out of the Geeks. Similar to the J33R with a bit more forgiveness. Low launch low spin.

If you want to get real serious get a 8.5* 9015D with a shaft you favour and be prepared to be blown away. The DCT is good but this thing is GREAT. Stocko 60 Matrix leaves a bit to be desired for many. Sits a bit open.

What do you think about the 9016D? I think that has even lower spin.

TheNuclearOne
26th June 2009, 11:07 PM
What do you think about the 9016D? I think that has even lower spin.

Haven't hit it but yes it does. Extra thickness for long drive competitors. Many love it, some think it feels a bit dead. Tho i've seen medium hitters love it i'd be careful unless a massive hitter. The 9015D is VERY low spin tho. The 8.5* in the S9-1 Pro D is also super low. I think the Pro D might launch a little lower than the 9015D. If you spin the ball too much with an 8.5* in either of these with the correct shaft you have problems. You'd be looking at a 7.5* in the DCT if so.

3oneday
27th June 2009, 02:13 AM
You must be flipping.

Jono
27th June 2009, 11:30 AM
You must be flipping.

Virge? Is that you?

:lol:

Aussielongdriver
28th June 2009, 05:48 PM
Jono ,

I have some Adams 9016D heads if you want to try some 6.5*,7.5* and a 8.5*.
A mate of mine in S.A is a Geek distributor if you want to get a Geek Head.
Give me a call

Stephen

freddy a
28th June 2009, 07:03 PM
if you got some cash try to source out a Titleist 901 D4