PDA

View Full Version : If a mate borrowed your irons and hit the ball off the chrome, what would you do?

braddles
25th June 2009, 08:43 AM
Hi Guys

I lent my Callaway X-Forged 09 irons to a mate to try, as he was going to buy them. I had only used them for three rounds and was going to sell them. I bought them brand new from Drummonds. I told him to only hit a couple of balls, as I was going to sell them on ebay and didn't want any scratches/ball marks on the faces.

I got them back today and it looks like he was hitting everything off the toe. The 9 iron has a massive ball mark on the toe (I have no idea what ball he was using!), with a few hits looking like they have been hit on the chrome (noticeable scratches).

The condition of the irons has gone from 9.5/10 to probably 7/10.

The marks on the irons make me look like a C grader. I have been playing badly lately, but I have never been close to hitting the ball off the chrome!

What would you do? Does the "sky it, buy it" rule apply to toe hits for irons? They guy I lent the clubs to is a pretty good golfer, however one of his mates also asked to hit them. I wouldn't be suprised if it was his mate who put the toe marks on the clubs.

Tongueboy
25th June 2009, 08:49 AM
mate I would lend my missus before I would lend my clubs

3oneday
25th June 2009, 08:59 AM
I have to agree with rabidoh boy, unless he was a golfer of equal talent ?

razaar
25th June 2009, 09:00 AM
He most likely hit some dirty ball with your clubs. A dremel & polishing paste may mask some of the minor marks, worth a try.

Jarro
25th June 2009, 09:00 AM
I'd put it on him to buy them

braddles
25th June 2009, 09:01 AM
My mate is a good golfer. He once played off 2. I think it is his mate that is the problem.

Chris32
25th June 2009, 09:07 AM
I'd try and clean/polish them, if they don't come up then they are all his

moree golfer
25th June 2009, 09:10 AM
Sell them to your mate's mate who you believe hit them.

poidda
25th June 2009, 09:13 AM
If he's a decent golfer he'd understand your queries. Definitely put it on him, and leave it up to him if he sub-lendeded ;) your new clubs. Of course a 6 pack of XXXX heavies first will help.

AndyP
25th June 2009, 09:17 AM
He can't be a great mate, if you are accusing him of lending them to another guy.

kingslayer33
25th June 2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Braddles,

Thanks for camparing me to being a good golfer once but I have told you I was buying the clubs. ;)

Well at least I'm buying the RAC's. Sorry to hear about the X-forged's though.

I have some contacts who you could borrow to put the hard word on the other mate if necessary. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2009, 09:27 AM
I would never let anyone hit my gamers without me being present. You're too trusting.

It appears that he thinks there is nothing wrong, but you should still approach him about it.

Captain Nemo
25th June 2009, 10:02 AM
I had similar situation!
Lent me Scotty to a mate, he was playing Pennants and was putting badly so needed to try something different and liked mine.
He had it for about 6 weeks, when i got it back he had the grip changed!
Said the one that was on there looked a little off.:-k
The original grip tore when the tried to blow it off, so i ended up with a Lamkin?:oops:
One of his best:smt038

braddles
25th June 2009, 10:05 AM
From now on I won't lend my clubs to anyone!

I know his mate used them, as he wanted me to give him a call to discuss price. He said he hit them well, but wanted to take them out for another round. Lucky I said no, as I hadn't seen the clubs at that stage.

The 9 iron is the worst. I could probably live with the other clubs. Maybe I just request a new 9 iron?

I bought a set of used MP32s from 3Balls a couple of years ago that had scratches on the toe of the PW. I didn't like them and sold them to a mate for an awesome price. He still comments everytime I play with him that I put the marks on the toe!

braddles
25th June 2009, 10:07 AM
I had similar situation!
Lent me Scotty to a mate, he was playing Pennants and was putting badly so needed to try something different and liked mine.
He had it for about 6 weeks, when i got it back he had the grip changed!
Said the one that was on there looked a little off.:-k
The original grip tore when the tried to blow it off, so i ended up with a Lamkin?:oops:
One of his best:smt038

I am suprised he didn't send it into the SC Cutom Shop for a new finish and to add a sight dot!

markTHEblake
25th June 2009, 10:16 AM
Unless a club is well used I wouldn't let anyone demo it. If they want it they buy it.

Captain Nemo
25th June 2009, 10:38 AM
I am suprised he didn't send it into the SC Cutom Shop for a new finish and to add a sight dot!
I would have liked that!:smt038
Sholud have requested some custom stamping!

Dennis
25th June 2009, 01:43 PM
Suck it up princess

It was your call to let him hit them. Ever heard of tape?

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2009, 02:07 PM
Suck it up princess

It was your call to let him hit them. Ever heard of tape?

This guy's funny. I liked his comment about SMS and breakfast last week too!

sms316
25th June 2009, 02:13 PM
This guy's funny.
About as funny as cot death.
:roll:

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2009, 02:18 PM
the breakfast comment was pretty funny at the time, i wasn't expecting it at all.

is there a history with pyongyang?

sms316
25th June 2009, 02:21 PM
is there a history with pyongyang?
Yeah - his parents are related. :wink:

I hear he reads Chrisco catalogues for fun in his spare time.

Jarro
25th June 2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe SMS pinched his breakfast one morning ?

AndyP
25th June 2009, 03:12 PM
This guy's funny. I liked his comment about SMS and breakfast last week too!Not really. Each post brings him closer to a banning.

razaar
25th June 2009, 03:32 PM
Another reason to buy Pings if you share.

markTHEblake
25th June 2009, 05:23 PM
Not really. Each post brings him closer to a banning.

Post away Ppongtang!

TheNuclearOne
25th June 2009, 05:57 PM
Post away Ppongtang!

:lol: