PDA

View Full Version : Rain Covers

just
24th June 2009, 09:36 PM
After Sundays effort in the rain, I was thinking about getting some sort of decent rain protection for the bag, something like this (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/rain-tek-golf-bag-cover.html) or this (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bag-boy-golf-cart-rain-cover.html).
Anyone used either of these? Thoughts?

markTHEblake
24th June 2009, 09:51 PM
The more expensive looks like its the goer. As i said on Sunday, the typical ones are a pain in the bum to get access to any other pockets. the modern golf bag does not have any pockets 'underneath' anymore, cos they are mostly built to suit stupid golf carts

Jarro
24th June 2009, 09:52 PM
That bag-boy one looks a goer just 8)

Lucasto23
24th June 2009, 10:02 PM
Lets not play in the rain!!
Were going to play in the rain aren't we?

Get the Bag Boy one it looks more tech savy

just
24th June 2009, 10:07 PM
Mate
I'm with you, I'd rather not play in the rain, but inevitably you do, and you may as well make yourself as comfortable as possible and keep your gear in as good condition as possible.

I am leaning towards the Bagboy one.

Moe Norman
24th June 2009, 10:11 PM
I'd be happy with one like the one blakey had on the weekend

markTHEblake
24th June 2009, 11:42 PM
You can have the stupid thing when/if i get a proper one. Just had me googling a bit and i see there are some around with a few zippers. If you can get one that is convenient to leave on the whole round then that is much easier to work with.

u8ergolfer
25th June 2009, 12:04 AM
This is the best I have used..

http://www.seaforthraingear.com/product.aspx?CategoryID=1&ID=2

walkerden golf distributes them in OZ I think..

3oneday
25th June 2009, 07:47 AM
I bought a $20 one off ebay here. How many pockets (other than the one in your shorts) do you need to get into ?

markTHEblake
25th June 2009, 09:45 AM
I bought a $20 one off ebay here. How many pockets (other than the one in your shorts) do you need to get into ?

Just need to get to spare balls, spare tees, spare towels, spare hats, spare gloves, spare sticky grippy stuff, spare rain gear, I could go on for ever.

3oneday
25th June 2009, 10:08 AM
Yes, I missed the bit about no pockets under the bag. I still have them.

zigwah
25th June 2009, 01:56 PM
If at all possible I try not to play in the rain at all, i havent bought any rain gear for my first Winter back may buy an umbrella, for sun showers.

If there is any rain on the BOM radar near me i'm not playin, golf in the sux,as far i can remember.

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2009, 02:10 PM
If at all possible I try not to play in the rain at all, i havent bought any rain gear for my first Winter back may buy an umbrella, for sun showers.

If there is any rain on the BOM radar near me i'm not playin, golf in the sux,as far i can remember.

Soft.:-({|=

Jarro
25th June 2009, 02:16 PM
Soft.:-({|=

yep, totally soft :cry:

ParMaster
25th June 2009, 03:36 PM

:-k

Zigwah you are :smt101.

(I request a "chicken" emoticon.)

Courty
25th June 2009, 07:51 PM
Whatever you get, make sure it has some form of ventilation. I find that when it rains in summer, the humidity causes condensation inside the raincover which forms on the clubs, so they get wet without getting exposed to the rain!

This is the best I have used..

http://www.seaforthraingear.com/product.aspx?CategoryID=1&ID=2

walkerden golf distributes them in OZ I think..

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Who is walkerden?

Minor_Threat
25th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Waste of time, space and money IMO.. What do you think they actually acheive?

just
25th June 2009, 08:15 PM
Saves me having to empty my bag after its been thoroughly soaked, and dry everything.

Minor_Threat
25th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Saves me having to empty my bag after its been thoroughly soaked, and dry everything.As Courty said, you will get condensation build up anyway which will make your bag smell if you dont dry it.. I have seen people use all different types, they are all cumbersome, and do not really keep your clubs any drier!

Courty
25th June 2009, 08:22 PM
As Courty said, you will get condensation build up anyway which will make your bag smell if you dont dry it

Only if the cover has no form of ventilation!

just
25th June 2009, 08:27 PM
As Courty said, you will get condensation build up anyway which will make your bag smell if you dont dry it.. I have seen people use all different types, they are all cumbersome, and do not really keep your clubs any drier!
The risk of mould or mildew (which cause the smell) is much greater if the bag is soaked rather than a little condensation build up. Its not like I am going to leave the thing on there 24/7, only if it is likely to rain, therefore condensation will never be a problem. I don't care if it does not keep my clubs drier, because a dry or wet club has no effect on the golf, I just don't like my bag and everything else in it getting soakoing wet wneh I play in rainy conditions, and this will hopefully stop that.

Minor_Threat
25th June 2009, 08:28 PM
Only if the cover has no form of ventilationAny decent ventiltion will let water through anyway! :shock:

The risk of mould or mildew (which cause the smell) is much greater if the bag is soaked rather than a little condensation build up. Its not like I am going to leave the thing on there 24/7, only if it is likely to rain, therefore condensation will never be a problem. I don't care if it does not keep my clubs drier, because a dry or wet club has no effect on the golf, I just don't like my bag and everything else in it getting soakoing wet wneh I play in rainy conditions, and this will hopefully stop that.No worries mate, good luck with the search..

just
25th June 2009, 08:31 PM
Any decent ventiltion will let water through anyway! :shock:
Incorrect, but anyway if you can't see value in them no problems, its your choice, however its certainly not going to affect my decision.

Courty
25th June 2009, 08:32 PM
I used to have one that had these little one way vents at the top of the hood. It was perfect. Can;t remember the brand now. It was a large one that fitted my old R500 Staff Bag.

Veefore
26th June 2009, 09:41 AM
I've got one of the Seaforth Slickers and really like it. It doesn't have any pockets on the outside but you can access most areas of the bag through the velcro on the top though it is a bit awkward.

markTHEblake
26th June 2009, 10:01 AM
Its not like I am going to leave the thing on there 24/7, only if it is likely to rain, therefore condensation will never be a problem

They probably need to put that in the instructions, not everyone has the navy experience to figure that out.

The ideal rain cover is one that can stay on all day, without inconveniencing you, and still letting you get the brolly in and out. Nothing worse than rain that is on and off all bloody day.

razaar
26th June 2009, 10:08 AM
The boss won a deluxe Proline rain cover which I use. Does an excellent job, the only thing is when folded & not in use it won't fit in my bag, so it stays on if the weather clears during the round. No condensation with this baby.

http://www.prolinegolf.com.au/products_detail.cfm?id=146&cat=8&sub=15

moree golfer
26th June 2009, 10:29 AM
I've got one of the Seaforth Slickers and really like it. It doesn't have any pockets on the outside but you can access most areas of the bag through the velcro on the top though it is a bit awkward.
Where'd you get the Seaforth version V4? I have asked my local pro if they can track some down without a reply yet.

Courty
26th June 2009, 09:39 PM
Does the Seaforth Slicker work as well when used on a push buggy or cart?

u8ergolfer
26th June 2009, 09:49 PM
Does the Seaforth Slicker work as well when used on a push buggy or cart?

'Course it does, A staff bag with the long pocket under means a bit of a get to, but it opens and closes with Velcro so its a rip off.. get to what you want then just push the swatches back on..

THe biggest advantage is the massive opening at the top of the bag with the Hoodie look..easy to get to the spanners..No zippers to muck around with.

Daves
22nd August 2011, 12:45 PM
Time to bump this thread.

I have a generic fold up clear plastic rain cover that does a reasonable job most of the time, but maybe there are better options?.

The one I use looks like this;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=701

Positives are it is made of soft clear plastic, it has zips and a couple of velcro straps and it folds up to a compact size that easily fits in a side pocket. It is also easy care to dry out and clean. Downside is it is a bit of a pain if there is wind, as it tends to blow off unless you fasten the velcro straps tight. And when they are tight it is hard to access anything.

On the basis that the grass is always greener, what other options do others suggest?.

I like the look of these rain hoods for accessing clubs etc? but you would still need a cover for the rest of the bag;

http://www.hobokengolf.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23&products_id=929&zenid=fad7a4mgre5mmfkupqsetl7133

A much cheaper option at Squizzys;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=2190

One of these looks like an improved version of what I have, with more access points;

http://www.hobokengolf.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23&products_id=930

A really cheap Izzo cover from Squizzys;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=2791

A more elaborate cover but in black plastic;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=2173

BrisVegas
22nd August 2011, 01:29 PM
how's that umbrella group buy going dave? :lol:

My umbrella went in the wheelie bin after the game yesterday. I don't care if my outer bag gets wet, but i like to be able to keep a dry towel up underneath an umbrella.

Daves
22nd August 2011, 02:36 PM
how's that umbrella group buy going dave? :lol:

My umbrella went in the wheelie bin after the game yesterday. I don't care if my outer bag gets wet, but i like to be able to keep a dry towel up underneath an umbrella.

Still researching on the Umbrellas Dion, no upfront bulk delivery discounts on the ones I have been looking at ($24 for the umbrella, but $40 delivery!), so will probably need to send some e-mails once I research a bit more.

Jarro
22nd August 2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the links Daves, i'm pretty sure i'll get one of these now .... after yesterdays drenching :roll:

markTHEblake
22nd August 2011, 07:34 PM
I have got a bag boy one, cost about $100 normally. The top folds out and over the clubs like a pram cover. However it doesnt work with my current buggy, as the bracket that needs to fit on needs to be fixed on correctly.

just
22nd August 2011, 08:03 PM
It works on mine. Great cover.

Daves
22nd August 2011, 08:40 PM
I have got a bag boy one, cost about $100 normally. The top folds out and over the clubs like a pram cover. However it doesnt work with my current buggy, as the bracket that needs to fit on needs to be fixed on correctly.

It works on mine. Great cover.

The one you linked in the OP Just?

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bag-boy-golf-cart-rain-cover.html

Can't seem to find them available anywhere now? No mention of them on the Bag Boy site either?

markTHEblake
22nd August 2011, 08:44 PM
Thats it, i got two from Grays Online when Proline closed down, and offloaded one to just. I probably lied to him though and told him I nicked it from my proshop.

Aussie sellers all had about $100 on them, in USA mainly about $50-60

Daves
15th July 2012, 12:48 PM
A year on, and lots of wet rounds have seen a fair bit of experimentation and rain covers tried.

I have pretty well given the clear plastic velcro covers away as a waste of time. Any wind and they are useless, and accessing the clubs tends to let the rain in anyway. I have a couple in my collection if anybody wants one!

Bought one of these off my preferred iron cover supplier;

http://www.regalgolf.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=58

Not bad. The positives are the double zipping system and the extra velcro pocket for stashing stuff in that is easy to access during a round. Downsides are that it takes a bit of extra effort to fit, best done before the round starts, and you still tend to let a bit of rain in when accessing. Much better than the clear plastic covers though, and handles the wind as well because is goes over the entire bag, not just sit on top.

My next acquisition was a Rain Wedge;

http://www.rainwedge.com/

These are the duck guts, work brilliantly on cart or buggy and keep pretty much most rain out, even in the heaviest downpours. The down sides are; they only cover the clubs i.e. top of the bag ; It does not fold down compactly, width wise yes, but packs to about 90cm long and is a pain to carry in the bag. Mine lives in my car boot. There is also a bit involved to fitting it properly, so much better to start the round with it in place. I use it with the Regal Cover over the rest of the bag and the combination is excellent. The price here is bit over the top, but got my Wedge in a larger order from Edwin Watts and ended up costing me about $20 US all up

Recent acquisition was a Rain Tek Hood from Squizzys;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=3490

Hasn't had a real test yet, but worked pretty well in light showers when I tried it recently. The idea is somewhat similar to the Rain Wedge, but rather than the fan design of the wedge it uses structural foam inserts to keep its hood shape. Not as solid as the Wedge but still pretty good. It has a good velcro strap system to attach to the top of the bag, and is relatively easy to fit. I also packs down somewhat compactly, so would be easier to carry with you than the Rain Wedge. It can also be folded back so the clubs are completely uncovered, so could be fitted before a round and not be in the way. I still prefer the Rain Wedge overall, but this does perform pretty well and is relatively cheap here. I was impressed enough to buy the full cover version to give it a try;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=2173

You can also buy these from Rockbottom Golf, though postage will be a killer unless you combine with other purchases.

BenM
15th July 2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks heaps for the info Daves - very timely given the weather here lately.

I got a Drizzle Stick for free with a Rockbottom order a few months ago, it's been okay for keeping the tops of the clubs dry but the wind catches it and it doesn't protect the bag at all so if things keep up like this I'm going to start looking for a proper cover. As well as another umbrella (one that actually fits in my umbrella holder!)

MegaWatty
15th July 2012, 03:04 PM
Any experiences with Seaforth Slicker as a carry bag cover? Was looking at it for a carry bag whilst I'm away.

Daves
15th July 2012, 03:23 PM

Any experiences with Seaforth Slicker as a carry bag cover? Was looking at it for a carry bag whilst I'm away.

Looks like Veefore is the man to speak too, Watty.

Courty
15th July 2012, 03:39 PM

I almost bought one a couple of years ago based on recommendations of a mate who had one. Never got around to it & now that I have a waterproof bag I don't really need it any longer. Still, it looks like a good solution for a carry bag.

sms316
15th July 2012, 03:47 PM
Golf cart with a hood. Problem solved.

MegaWatty
15th July 2012, 04:44 PM
Golf cart with a hood. Problem solved. In penants.

sms316
15th July 2012, 05:07 PM
In penants. Pennant. Only dribblers refer to it as a plural.

pt73
15th July 2012, 05:57 PM
If you mean as a travel cover then it may not work as the top only closes with velcro and the top is a really loose fit by design. I have one and it's a great rain cover for a stand or cart bag but a bit too small for a staff bag.

MegaWatty
15th July 2012, 06:06 PM
If you mean as a travel cover then it may not work as the top only closes with velcro and the top is a really loose fit by design. I have one and it's a great rain cover for a stand or cart bag but a bit too small for a staff bag.

Nah. Got a travel bag already.

I only really carry in the rain if I'm away though. How wide is the gap for the carry straps?

pt73
15th July 2012, 07:26 PM
Nah. Got a travel bag already.

I only really carry in the rain if I'm away though. How wide is the gap for the carry straps?
It's designed with an elasticized part that goes around the top of the bag with press studs that snap onto the ones the bag has for it's rain hood.

Below that is a T shaped bit with velcro closure that goes down the spine of the bag. The part at the top of the T is 27cm wide and the spine part is 45cm long.

The straps go through this T shaped area and the velcro closes it off to the rain.

Hope that helps.

AlexMc
15th July 2012, 10:22 PM
Titleist Sta-Dry bag. No need for any cover that way!

Courty
16th July 2012, 06:21 AM
Titleist Sta-Dry bag. No need for any cover that way!

+1 with my Sun Mountain H2NO!

Captain Nemo
16th July 2012, 04:22 PM
http://underpar.com.au/index.php/products/accessories/eb-rain-cover/55

I nabbed one of these one ebay for $30.
Very heavy duty, not a drop gets in.....