PDA

View Full Version : Got measured up what next?

Pieface
22nd June 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I went and did the clubfit thing at Drummond golf on the weekend. I got a bunch of measurements but I don't really know how they relate to things and if the clubs they gave me to try are much chop...I am a total noob at this type of thing so be gentle!

So basically I'm 200cm (6'5") and have a reach of 32". The program said I needed shafts of 38.75", how much longer is that than standard? It also said that gave me a recommended lie angle of 63 degrees.

My swing speed was averaging about 75mph so they said regular flex in steel was the best option. Does this sound right?

They gave my a few different clubs to try based on this information. I liked the Maxfli Black Max set the best but I can't seem to find anything about lie angles etc on these clubs. Is it likely that they are the correct angle or just one of the closer matched sets from off the shelf? They wanted $540 for the set which is Driver, 3 & 5 Wood, Hybrid 3 and 4-PW in the irons. I am happy to spend in that area pricewise but I already see I can get the same set for ~$180 less through one of the online guys in 1" over standard length.

So basically I am wanting to know if these clubs are actually suited to my measurements and if I should just save the cash and buy online or if there are better options if I take the same budget ~$550 and shop online. At the moment I am hitting low 50's for 9 holes and my biggest weakness, barring putting, seems to be hitting long irons consistently and hitting my approach shots accurately which is why the shop recommended wide sole, cavity backs I think.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Pieface.

Courty
22nd June 2009, 11:56 AM
I think standard length is 37.5" (5 iron), so that'd be 1.25" over. Lie angles are a much more personal thing, so it is what it is. Swing speed sounds a little slow for someone of your size, but that'll improve as your technique does.

You'll get no love for the Maxfli's from anyone on this forum... we're all brand whores (with the exception of Mark The Blake). ;) Reality is though, use what works best for you.

BrisVegas
22nd June 2009, 12:10 PM
you're in luck. You're the same height as some of the biggest ho's on this site.... I'll let you figure out who they are.

Pieface
22nd June 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the input Courty. I thought that I might be a smidge more than 1" over length, life would be too easy otherwise :roll:

I hear you on the brand thing but realistically I'm not going to go and drop big $$$ on clubs until I hit the ball a lot more consistently. For now I just want something that fits me properly, I've grown nearly 6" since I got my current set. Once I have some reasonable clubs nutted out I will take a few lessons as there are plenty more strokes in my swing than in the clubs I reckon.

Just on Saturday I realised I always lift my left heel off the ground. I kept it flat and the slice I've been battling with just about disappeared. I hit 4 fairways off the tee and was just off on three others which is good for me to only park it in the trees twice, lol!

markTHEblake
22nd June 2009, 06:01 PM
I went and did the clubfit thing at Drummond golf on the weekend. and then they will sell you whatever set that is on their shelf that they say will fit you.

Be wary of what the salesman advises you. He doesnt have a clue, he is following a computer chart that makes recommendations. - only the guy that actually builds the clubs can fit you properly.

So basically I'm 200cm (6'5") and have a reach of 32". The program said I needed shafts of 38.75", how much longer is that than standard?1 " longer i think. They are referring to lenth of the 5 iron

My swing speed was averaging about 75mph so they said regular flex in steel was the best option. Does this sound right?if irons yes, if Woods, then you need lessons much more than clubs.

I liked the Maxfli Black Max set the best but I can't seem to find anything about lie angles etc on these clubs.cheap mass produced clubs, high likelyhood of poor quality control. Unless Drummond can guarantee that they will dissamble and rebuild these clubs to exact specifications there is little point being fitted in the first place. (and they wont do that at the price they have quoted)

Pieface
22nd June 2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Mark. What would you suggest I do with a budget of around $600.

Cheers :)

Courty
22nd June 2009, 06:25 PM
Keep an eye on Pro Shop listings. 8)

markTHEblake
22nd June 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Mark. What would you suggest I do with a budget of around $600.

Refer to the exact same question/thread raised by Ozdevil in the last few days, its all there. ;)

Stuffed if i am gunna type all that again, some uptight people here get really cranky when i do that. :cry:

Pieface
22nd June 2009, 06:28 PM
Keep an eye on Pro Shop listings. 8)

I can but I don't really know enough. Say I get something better quality second hand...then aren't I in the same boat in terms of them 'fitting" me? Not trying to be a PIA just trying to learn :)

razaar
22nd June 2009, 07:16 PM
As a point of interest do you play any ball sports or racket sports?

Pieface
22nd June 2009, 07:18 PM
I play squash once a week...

Basketball was my main thing as a kid.

I'll check that thread Mark thanks.

razaar
22nd June 2009, 07:29 PM
I play squash once a week...

Basketball was my main thing as a kid.

I'll check that thread Mark thanks.
Good stuff.. when you go looking for clubs consider only those that allow you a slight knee flex at address. I wouldn't worry about the shaft flex because the clubs will be most likely 25mm + longer than standard. A private/second-hand purchase from a person of your size (who is upgrading) would be ideal. Keep an eye on your local rag.

Yossarian
22nd June 2009, 07:34 PM
Would those x 14's gaz has got for sale be a good option?
I can't find any pics of the damn things.

razaar
22nd June 2009, 07:54 PM
Come to think of it Haysey is about your size and he is always moving clubs - send him a pm (at the very least he can give you some specs to work off).

Pieface
23rd June 2009, 04:22 PM
Ok I am going to see a club maker on Thursday morning with any luck. If my budget gets destroyed by this course of action never fear, I will be blaming all you guys if the boss loses it :razz: :lol:

As an aside, when you guys are buying high end clubs are you then taking them to a club maker for final fitment or is an "off the shelf" top brand somehow a better fit off the rack?

Jarro
23rd June 2009, 05:31 PM
So basically I'm 200cm (6'5") and have a reach of 32".

What the hell do they put in the water over there .... fertilizer :-s

markTHEblake
23rd June 2009, 05:41 PM
As an aside, when you guys are buying high end clubs are you then taking them to a club maker for final fitment

No they dont, thats why after a short period of time they sell them because they dont work well and go buy another shiney thing.

and the merry go round goes round and round

adlo
23rd June 2009, 05:55 PM
Isn't 200cms like 6'7"?

Pieface
23rd June 2009, 06:13 PM
It appears your grasp of metric to imperial is better than mine .55 of a foot is about 6.7" :oops:

So I'm 6'6.7"

adlo
23rd June 2009, 06:17 PM
Big bastard. You are now the giant freak. My title has been passed on.

Pieface
23rd June 2009, 06:20 PM
But that's in shoes so you can scrub off an inch or so for the sneakers. Do I still claim the title?

adlo
23rd June 2009, 06:25 PM
Yes, me and JC are both 6'4.5" ish. Freak.

PM sent mate.

markTHEblake
23rd June 2009, 07:13 PM
Uh Oh, the Nephilim are back

adlo
23rd June 2009, 07:14 PM
I resent being called something I need to google to understand

haysey
23rd June 2009, 07:36 PM
It appears your grasp of metric to imperial is better than mine .55 of a foot is about 6.7" :oops:

So I'm 6'6.7"

Big bastard. You are now the giant freak. My title has been passed on.

**** me. My title too:cry:

Yossarian
23rd June 2009, 07:36 PM
Samsquanch.

adlo
23rd June 2009, 07:39 PM
There there, we can still call you freak.

Samsquanch.

Exactly.
http://www.samclan.com/images/Bubbles.bmp

haysey
23rd June 2009, 07:43 PM
There there, we can still call you freak.

Phew, I feel better now:wink:

just
23rd June 2009, 07:55 PM
Samsquanch.
A 10' by any chance?

Yossarian
23rd June 2009, 08:00 PM
Closer to eight foot.

Hux
23rd June 2009, 09:39 PM

Mine too. Happy days someone truly freakish :mrgreen:.

We should have a +194cm only golf day. Sounds like we will have a couple of 4's.

Yossarian
23rd June 2009, 09:40 PM
Freaks.

Hux
23rd June 2009, 09:40 PM
BTW at 194cm (yep only a short ass) I am playing /5" over lnegth and 2* upright with no real issues. Have played up to 1" over length and also stock length.

haysey
23rd June 2009, 10:01 PM
If PeteyD had a sense of humour when he's doing the draw for the first round of the champs he'd put Hux, Adlo and me in a group with Jarro:D

To keep it vaguely on topic. I'm using irons that are one and a quarter inches over original and two degrees upright.

Pieface, get a decent clubfitter. It'll save you money in the long run. Although it wont be as much fun:wink:

mike
23rd June 2009, 10:03 PM
Haysey, who's taller? Me or Jarro?

Courty
23rd June 2009, 10:04 PM
I like to think of it as 'Who's shorter?' :mrgreen:

mike
23rd June 2009, 10:06 PM
It's good playing with you tall guys when there's lightning about.

haysey
23rd June 2009, 10:07 PM
Haysey, who's taller? Me or Jarro?

:mrgreen:

Can I plead the fifth your honour

mike
23rd June 2009, 10:08 PM
Shit. That don't sound good.

haysey
23rd June 2009, 10:10 PM
To be fair, my 5 year old is taller than both of you:twisted:

Pieface
24th June 2009, 10:17 AM
Mine too. Happy days someone truly freakish :mrgreen:.

We should have a +194cm only golf day. Sounds like we will have a couple of 4's.

...and I'm a complete chopper too! It doesn't bode well for a sledge free ozgolf experience, lol!

Thanks for the length/lie info Haysey :)