PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new driver

zigwah
21st June 2009, 11:52 PM
I may have a 909 D2 stock Voodoo shaft stiff 9.5* up for sale very soon, im looking for something with a shut face.

What have you guys got to trade

Yossarian
21st June 2009, 11:55 PM
Bridgestone J33 R it is 460 cc :)

zigwah
22nd June 2009, 12:00 AM
Also something below 460cc would be preferable

I may even throw in an MT 460 to sweeten the right deal

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 12:30 AM
Bridgestone J33 R it is 460 cc :)

Bet it ain't shut :mrgreen:

Lucasto23
22nd June 2009, 09:59 AM

What he said, you funny, funny man.

razaar
22nd June 2009, 10:09 AM
I may have a 909 D2 stock Voodoo shaft stiff 9.5* up for sale very soon, im looking for something with a shut face.

What have you guys got to trade
Zig...any Callaway driver will give you a shut face..the X 460 and X Tour sell for around $200. If you decide to get a cally be aware that bore through shafts play stiffer than those in a hosel driver so go one flex softer.

3oneday
22nd June 2009, 10:58 AM
If you decide to get a cally be aware that bore through shafts play stiffer than those in a hosel driver so go one flex softer.
if reshafted ?

Lucasto23
22nd June 2009, 12:17 PM
Zig...any Callaway driver will give you a shut face..the X 460 and X Tour sell for around $200. If you decide to get a cally be aware that bore through shafts play stiffer than those in a hosel driver so go one flex softer.

x tour's are .5 deg open but hey what difference does that make;)

Yossarian
22nd June 2009, 03:16 PM

my bad...:oops:

Lucasto23
22nd June 2009, 03:24 PM
:smt021
my bad...:oops:

razaar
22nd June 2009, 03:33 PM
x tour's are .5 deg open but hey what difference does that make;)
:shock:

.5 deg open to the X460 = 1+ deg closed.;)

Lucasto23
22nd June 2009, 03:49 PM
IT'S a DRAW - hyatt coolum style:-k

YEAH - This is my 400th post woopie

3oneday
22nd June 2009, 03:53 PM
More interested in why he thinks a bore through plays stiffer.

razaar
22nd June 2009, 03:59 PM
More interested in why he thinks a bore through plays stiffer.
A club fitter at Golf World (ex pro) mentioned it to me when I was enquiring about cally woods. When you think about it makes sense.

3oneday
22nd June 2009, 04:00 PM
It would, except like Titleist they use shafts with longer tips designed to play true to flex. Sure, you stick your standard NV in and it will stiffen it up, but they get specially made shafts for the purpose.

razaar
22nd June 2009, 04:04 PM
It would, except like Titleist they use shafts with longer tips designed to play true to flex. Sure, you stick your standard NV in and it will stiffen it up, but they get specially made shafts for the purpose.

The person I'm referring to assembles the cally clubs at the store and that was his advice. :)

virge666
22nd June 2009, 04:46 PM

Absolute crock of shite. Same shafts are always used.

Have spoken about this to both Titty and Cally reps in Oz and USA.

Raz is totally correct

mikezone13
22nd June 2009, 05:30 PM
Might have a Cleveland Hibore XL head ziggy... would be keen on a trade for your Titty.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 05:52 PM
Absolute crock of shite. Same shafts are always used.

Have spoken about this to both Titty and Cally reps in Oz and USA.

Raz is totally correct

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say 3oneday is 100% correct.

Reps come out with the most incredibly silly things sometimes and this IMO will be shown to be one of them. Some of the things i have heard come out of their mouths is frightening.

Noway Titty was using standard shafts and inserting them fully. It would be like tipping inches. Nobody would be able to go close to playing their usual flex and the drivers would have been hated. I have no trouble playing my flex in the stock offerings in various Titty's. These companies have continually proved themselves to feed us softer playing and higher lofted drivers more so than the other way around.

There has been many a horror story of uninformed guys throwing in their fave shaft fully inserted and not being able to play it.

I was told by a guy who is very good friends with an Aldila rep and he always had the good oil before everyone else and was proven to be genuine. An Aldila rep i'd listen to before any Titty rep.

Regardless i have seen it written literally dozens of times over the years. The Aldila's were special models and so were the made for Speeders. From memory the Grafalloy Blue already was made for bore thru (long tip) in it's stock form.

Go and measure say a stock made 905R or whatever with the NV then get one off the shelf and make it, fully inserted. There will be BIG differences.

I'll absolutely back 3 to be right on this one.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 06:10 PM
Here's the top dogs from Fuji in a special Q @ A.

Fujikura: Well, I’ll take the Titleist Speeder, in particular . . . it’s tough because it is a proprietary product for that company and being proprietary it’s something we don’t get a lot of technical information on nor are we free to give it.

Fujikura: The main difference though, is that the original Speeder 757 has about a 2.5” parallel. And because Titleist has a bore-thru and they really loved the Speeder 757, they really came to us and said, “Develop something that we can use in our heads that have a much longer parallel to go through.” And when it does go through like that, the Titleist, the performance changes quite a bit because you’re no longer shafting in the same position as you would a regular kind of head as with that bore-thru. And so we did some design changes to that to accommodate their requirements and we called that the Speeder for Titleist.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 06:13 PM
And here's Steve Pelisek - Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Titleist in a 2007 interview.

GolfWRX: Now getting back to the bore-through design, does Titleist receive specially designed wood shafts to fit the bore through so shafts play true to flex, or do the shafts typically play stiffer than a non-bore head?

1:51 Steve Pelisek: We get this question all the time. It depends on the shaft. We encourage our manufacturer partners to leave enough parallel tip section to allow that shaft to be inserted all the way into the driver. Some do, some don't. When there's a shaft we feel merits consideration as a stock shaft in our drivers, or even as a common custom shaft, we do request that the manufacturers extend the tip. What we do in those cases is we make sure the exit point of the shaft from the hosel is constant versus the original manufacturing so they should play exactly the same way. The only time you don't get the same playability is when someone tries to take a shaft that might no have enough parallel tip section or has not been designed with that extension and shove it all the way through to where the exit point of the shaft from the hosel is further up the shaft. Then you are going to get something that plays a little bit stiffer. We do not recommend that.

virge666
22nd June 2009, 06:15 PM
Go and measure say a stock made 905R or whatever with the NV then get one off the shelf and make it, fully inserted. There will be BIG differences.

I'll absolutely back 3 to be right on this one.

Sounds stupid I know... but there is no arguing here. one of my closest mates SUPPLIES the shafts to Titty Australia. Titty clubs are assembled in Oz. As for Callaway, i have pulled many shafts from these clubs and the same rule applies. The OEM shafts are much softer in all clubs but a DVS or NV from a Callaway will cycle around the same as a Nike pullout

Titty are by far the best with quality control and will send back any club that is out by 2 or 3 grams, but it is an identical shaft to what you buy off the supplier.

The only way around it is to rebadge a REG flex as STIFF flex.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 06:20 PM
Sounds stupid I know... but there is no arguing here. one of my closest mates SUPPLIES the shafts to Titty Australia. Titty clubs are assembled in Oz. As for Callaway, i have pulled many shafts from these clubs and the same rule applies. The OEM shafts are much softer in all clubs but a DVS or NV from a Callaway will cycle around the same.

Titty are by far the best with quality control and will send back any club that is out by 2 or 3 grams, but it is an identical shaft to what you buy off the supplier.

This is not a discussion/debate - it is just the way it is.
It's not the way it is IMO. You were posting while i was. It's all above and very crystal clear.

I won't debate further, but my two interview posts above give my view completely. Others can make up their own mind, she's all there on the table.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 06:21 PM
I see you edited :mrgreen:

virge666
22nd June 2009, 06:30 PM
I see you edited :mrgreen:

yeah - besides not typing half the post with half decent spelling - I thought I would be less direct.

The funny thing is I was up at UST and of 350 shafts sent to Titty - they sent 6 back saying they were the wrong weight or flex. That is sensational Quality control... and this led us to this EXACT arguement.

How can you put an AXIV black or a V2 into a bore though shaft and expect the same characteristics . . . You just can't.

Also heads with very deep hosels like SMT, Bang, Cobra and Srixon... A TM hosel is lucky to be an inch deep. Srixon are almost double that.

WTF ?

3oneday
22nd June 2009, 06:59 PM
You know that the folk at Fujikura they are very accessible ? Ring them and ask the question, I did ;) I also have the guys email address, but it was a few years ago now....

I'm confused now Virge, is it a crock of shit still ? :confused:

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 09:23 PM
How can you put an AXIV black or a V2 into a bore though shaft and expect the same characteristics . . . You just can't.

Exactly, you can't, as the big Titty rep man clearly points out.

Exactly right, what you have to do is find what insertion leads to the old industry standard bottom of bore to ground measure which is 1.5 inches. Usually in these heads a 1.5 inch insertion will get that 1.5 BBGM measure.

Also heads with very deep hosels like SMT, Bang, Cobra and Srixon... A TM hosel is lucky to be an inch deep. Srixon are almost double that.

The thing here is that insertion depth alone actually has zero bearing on shaft stiffness, believe it or not. 90% of people don't grasp this. Where people are tricked is that near all the time deep insertion usually leads to a small BBGM hence the stiff playing shaft.

If one gets a head that has say a 2 inch insertion but due to a high bore still has a 2' BBGM this shaft will play exactly as it does in a 1.25' insertion TM head if you follow.

Technically if someone built a head with a 4 inch insertion but still a 2' bore to ground the shaft will play soft. BBGM is very important as near all TM heads are 2 inch which means 1/2 tipping is needed right off the bat to play to flex. It's also important to know for us ho'es when buying a pullout for certain heads. Pulls that played at 45 in most TM heads will fall short in others.

Hux
22nd June 2009, 09:41 PM
So Ziggy hows the search for a new driver going mate :-)

Man the thread jacking off gets serious here some times!

Johnny Canuck
22nd June 2009, 09:49 PM
So Ziggy hows the search for a new driver going mate :-)

Man the thread jacking off gets serious here some times!

And for once, WA is innocent.

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, my next post was to be an apology to Ziggy :twisted:

A standard Tour Burner will fit the bill, tho it's not much smaller than 460cc. Cheap as chips now too. An older model Cleve Launcher will be sub 460 and closed and cheap as chips. R7 425 in non TP model would be solid as the proverbial with MW too if i remember right. I'd prolly go that way.

zigwah
22nd June 2009, 10:53 PM
it's been a good debate to read, carry on gents. :)

Still looking for a club, i'm in no hurry.

henno
22nd June 2009, 10:53 PM
Just bend your lob wedge to 9.5 degrees.

virge666
22nd June 2009, 10:54 PM
The thing here is that insertion depth alone actually has zero bearing on shaft stiffness, believe it or not. 90% of people don't grasp this. Where people are tricked is that near all the time deep insertion usually leads to a small BBGM hence the stiff playing shaft.

That is all new to me mate - Cheers !!!

Yossarian
22nd June 2009, 10:58 PM
Mmm deep insertion...:shock:

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 11:08 PM
That is all new to me mate - Cheers !!!

No worries mate. Tim Witt explained it to some of us ages back. Simply put with a BBGM closer to the ground you end up having more of the butt end of the shaft as the shaft is actually longer (even tho it don't play longer, just longer in the bore) and the butt end is the stiffest part. Makes a measurable difference. With the higher bore you cut off more butt end to keep it to your designated length, lets say 45 inches. In a 2" TM bbgm you simply tip 1/2' so you have the same amount of butt in play as with a standard bore. Normally i wouldn't go on about it but i know you will definitely understand. Many wouldn't lol

TheNuclearOne
22nd June 2009, 11:09 PM
Mmm deep insertion...:shock:

LOL

3oneday
23rd June 2009, 07:48 AM
And for once, WA is innocent.

it's still related to golf though ;)

zigwah
23rd June 2009, 08:05 AM
I think it has all been relevant to my situation, has anybody hit the new nike driver? The one where you can change the to either open, neutral or closed?

Iain
23rd June 2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, nice club. Sounds like an aluminum baseball bat though. Not tingy loud, just loud...

zigwah
23rd June 2009, 09:45 AM
Yep, nice club. Sounds like an aluminum baseball bat though. Not tingy loud, just loud...

$$$$?

3oneday
23rd June 2009, 10:37 AM
They're around $300USD pre delivery on ebay I think.

Lucasto23
23rd June 2009, 10:44 AM
$$$$?

Zig, i missed out on a burner and you now don't know what you want?

POOR FORM :smt018

;)Thanks for saving me some money buddy:smt038

zigwah
23rd June 2009, 11:32 AM
You were offered the burner before i was offered it champ :smt108 it's still there grab it mate u know u want to.

Lucasto23
23rd June 2009, 12:13 PM
You were offered the burner before i was offered it champ :smt108 it's still there grab it mate u know u want to.

I was going to regret it in the morning anyway so you saved me some coin mate.

Thanks once again, and i really mean it:D