PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 10th January 2005

Courty
11th January 2005, 02:43 PM
For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn't play any golf at all this weekend just gone. The previous 5 rounds over the Xmas break were average at best, but I'm looking forward to posting some better results in this thread before the end of the weekend :roll:

Jarro
12th January 2005, 01:13 PM
85 at Nudgee today (34 points)

Drove the ball really well today, and plenty long. Hit a couple of beauties on 17 and 18. Both holes are 360 meters long, and i had 70/80 meters in to the both of them. Sadly for me though, the putter let me down badly ... had 31 putts, but could easily have had 5/6 putts less than that ... missed a lot from about 1 meter :oops:

BrisVegas
12th January 2005, 01:40 PM
85 at Nudgee today (34 points)

Drove the ball really well today, and plenty long. Hit a couple of beauties on 17 and 18. Both holes are 360 meters long, and i had 70/80 meters in to the both of them. Sadly for me though, the putter let me down badly ... had 31 putts, but could easily have had 5/6 putts less than that ... missed a lot from about 1 meter :oops:

Not bad Mark! Coupla good drives on those two holes will bring you back. Were you trialling the "gloveless" method?

Jarro
12th January 2005, 01:48 PM
Not bad Mark! Coupla good drives on those two holes will bring you back. Were you trialling the "gloveless" method?

thanks Dion :wink:

no, i said to myself on the praccy range beforehand that i'd try to play with no glove on .... but when i stepped up to the first tee, i got cold feet :oops:

.. maybe next time :wink:

nudgee
12th January 2005, 05:50 PM
Go the belly Jarro - you know you wanna!! I have a spare Rossa 40" laying around - perfect for your height!!!

Jamie

macleod
12th January 2005, 07:31 PM
Royal Karana again...

plethora of GIR with 3 putts....including driving ye olde 17th again for a el stupido three jack.

81 gross, 66 nett

hit a corker on the 7th, if you get the right angle with a bit of gayfade going you can get some massive run off the embankment if it kicks forward and onto the second divided part of the fairway.

384m off the blues today, and had a 50m pitch in which of course i muffed completely getting a wobbly bounce in front of the green when i tried to bump and run, sent it dead right and dribbled into the bunker....quite impressive to watch actually.....

el cheapo 1/2 price rounds end next month although they've started a membership drive again with a free round vouhcer.

davidp
12th January 2005, 11:31 PM
Played City GC in Toowoomba today in their comp.

Wind was up a bit which stuffed all the old geezers up a bit.

Played good in patches, purely rank in others. For some reason, I'm having trouble hitting my sand wedge which is go to club 100 m in. With the Amateur Classic coming up, I've got to sort this out quick smart.

Ended up with 92 gross = 69 nett. Third overall. Left 10 shots out there due to pure stupidity and bad course management.

I'm loving my 18* hybrid club right now. Hit it well all day, best shot being a 225m draw on the 14th over the bunkers on the corner of the dogleg.

Then went and practiced chipping and putting for an hour and a half. Practicing putting a smooth straight stroke on short putts, especially short breaking putts. My chipping was atrocious today. Had a case of the chili dips (thinned chips) Practiced concentrating on the back of the ball and not lifting my head. Also practiced keeping my hands soft on short chips.

Can't wait until the 23rd.

BrisVegas
13th January 2005, 09:47 AM

I'm loving my 18* hybrid club right now. Hit it well all day, best shot being a 225m draw on the 14th over the bunkers on the corner of the dogleg.

Is that all it is to carry that bunker??!!! :shock: :oops: Crikey. I thought it was much further than that.

When I played City last time (in the pro-am last Oct) I jumped on a driver to "just" carry the left-most trap. Ended up being only 50m out. From there, I shanked it over to the old 15th. Flummed it back to the front of the green. chipped it to about 6 feet, then missed the putt. SOLID. What was that comment about "Drive for show..." !! :lol:

Anyway - good shooting David! You'll be scary when the short game practice starts to pay off. 8)

Jarro
13th January 2005, 10:17 AM
Go the belly Jarro - you know you wanna!! I have a spare Rossa 40" laying around - perfect for your height!!!

Jamie

don't tempt me mate :wink: I'm thinking it might be time for me and the scotty to part ways anyway ..... any other putter suggestions out there :?: :roll:

AndyP
13th January 2005, 10:33 AM

Jamie

don't tempt me mate :wink: I'm thinking it might be time for me and the scotty to part ways anyway ..... any other putter suggestions out there :?: :roll:
So not only are you doing some more HOing (we were led to believe the money was going towards coaching), but you are considering getting rid of the sacred putter.
You HOs continue to surprise me. :smt011

Jarro
13th January 2005, 10:57 AM

Jamie

So not only are you doing some more HOing (we were led to believe the money was going towards coaching), but you are considering getting rid of the sacred putter.
You HOs continue to surprise me. :smt011

settle down cranky-pants :roll: =;

i never said i was going to stop the lessons ..... just going to do some "testing" of putters .... that's all :roll:

geez :smt104

davidp
13th January 2005, 11:11 AM

Is that all it is to carry that bunker??!!! :shock: :oops: Crikey. I thought it was much further than that.

Anyway - good shooting David! You'll be scary when the short game practice starts to pay off. 8)

Tees were playing forward 10m on that hole. I think they're trying to keep them in good nick for us on the 23rd. :D

As to the short game practice, it's frustrating when you don't feel confident with a wedge in your hands. It got to the point yesterday, when I dropped back a club off the tee just so I wouldn't have to hit a SW into the green. :oops: The practice will pay off eventually. Just have to concentrate on keeping a firm left wrist.

McMw
13th January 2005, 11:29 AM
how you missing those (1m) putts jarro??? to the right???

Jarro
13th January 2005, 11:42 AM

nah mate.. pulling them :oops:

i've started to mark a little cross at the top of the ball, to help me align it properly.. but i find myself not trusting the line at the moment.

Fishman Dan
13th January 2005, 11:46 AM

nah mate.. pulling them :oops:

i've started to mark a little cross at the top of the ball, to help me align it properly.. but i find myself not trusting the line at the moment.

Make sure you finish your stroke J-Ro. Pick a spot just in front of the ball and make sure the putter passes over it and making contact.

Jarro
13th January 2005, 11:50 AM
thanks for the tip Dan :smt023

.. i just think a new putter might be what i need at the moment.

does this make me a 'Ho :smt017

Fishman Dan
13th January 2005, 12:05 PM
Make sure you finish your stroke J-Ro. Pick a spot just in front of the ball and make sure the putter passes over it and making contact.

....oh great....and you're some authority to give advice on putting. :-$
You've had a thousand putts in yourlast few games.

I know where I'll be filing this putting review. :roll:

You've had 1 good round in the last 2 years and your riding your emotions. If there's one thing that's working, it's my putting.

Like a relative-in-law says... "I may not be able to play the (fkn) game, but i can (fkn) teach you a thing or two"

AndyP
13th January 2005, 12:12 PM
Stop drawing the line when you are drunk then. :lol:

Eag's
13th January 2005, 10:33 PM

Jamie

:shock: Wash your mouth out Mark, that would be like Tezza getting rid if his lobby :wink:
About as much chance of that as me growing my hair back :oops: :D
Stick with it mate the touch will return :smt045

markTHEblake
14th January 2005, 12:45 AM
but i find myself not trusting the line at the moment.

i have had 3 rounds in a row putting sensationaly. i found a great new tip, thats really working, might even patent it, but i will let you in on it now.

- Look at the ball, not the putter head.

AndyP
14th January 2005, 09:43 AM
Last night played in the time honoured, inaugural "9-hole Tsunami Cup". An important battle between good (Qld, myself) and evil (Vic, Smails).
How much did this event raise for the Tsunami Appeal?

Ps...I'm back baby !
Nine holes doesn't count as being back, you have to do it over 18. Who knows what sort of collapse you could of had.

BrisVegas
14th January 2005, 10:20 AM
Good shooting Richard. Nice to get one over the Vics!

Don't worry about Pippy. He's just worried you're gonna make a run at him for the player of the year title! :roll:

AndyP
14th January 2005, 10:45 AM
Don't worry about Pippy. He's just worried you're gonna make a run at him for the player of the year title! :roll:
:roll:
I thought g69 was part of the Krispy Kreme Tour anyway.

Nice to get one over the Vics!
Home ground advantage. I'd back the Judge at Ranfurlie. :twisted:

Fishman Dan
14th January 2005, 11:41 AM
I had a two footer to wrap it up and he was standing behind me. I turned to him and said "have you ever seen The Colour of Money" and proceeded to tap the putt in without looking. He was close to tears !

There was that, and the fact that he spent the best (?) part of 2 hours listening to you gibber on..... :lol:

Jarro
14th January 2005, 03:03 PM
played Royal & Ancient Nudgee South this morning with "The Big Eag'sy"

shot 81 [43/38] Par = 70.

drove the ball really well today .. hit solid irons ... but still missed some putts from the dreaded 1.5/2 meter range ... including 2 for birdie's :oops: Had 31 putts in total though so i'm not that concerned.

Highlight was driving the 311 meter par 4 15th green. made a nice bird there 8)

Scotty lives :P

Grunt
14th January 2005, 04:02 PM
Played Oatlands this morning damn it was hot.

36 points not too bad a day very tired in the end with all the heat. 3 pars

Jim was not too errant and did not spend too much time in the trees.

Mac Grange in the morning.

Trung
14th January 2005, 04:07 PM
Grant, 36 points in the heat is good =D>

Damn it is hot today :-#

Onewood
14th January 2005, 09:01 PM
Played a social game at Brook Water today.....83/7 = 76 I was pretty happy with that seeing I was 7 over after 6 holes and doubled the last...

11 x 14 Fairways
4 x GIR
6 x U&D
31 x putts

Eag's
14th January 2005, 09:34 PM
Played Nudgee South today
Shot 86
5 Greens
7 Fairways
36 Putts :evil:

Hit the ball well again today, just could not buy a putt :(
Feels weird setting up to hit a fade though :smt017 but I like the shape I get when it works :D

davidp
14th January 2005, 09:50 PM
Hit the ball well again today, just could not buy a putt :(

Don't worry Eag's. It sounds as if it's all just about to come together for you...

TS
14th January 2005, 11:53 PM
Played in the nice warm weather this afternoon at Strathfield.

40 points with 4 birdes and 2 wipes.

Lost on the count back for the 4ball with 49 points.

Some guy won the single with 47 points.

Flowergirl
15th January 2005, 01:59 PM
Played in the nice warm weather this afternoon at Strathfield.

40 points with 4 birdes and 2 wipes.

Lost on the count back for the 4ball with 49 points.

Some guy won the single with 47 points.

40 points..........nice going :wink:

Played yesterday - 2 shots over my handicap - which considering how bad I've been playing was pretty good. But I had - wait for it - 42 putts. I'm almost too ashamed to admit that. 42 putts!!!!!!! How bad is that. I am going up to the practise green today and going to putt, putt, putt and get it right. REst of the game was very good.

Eag's
15th January 2005, 02:43 PM
Played Wantima today Single Stab
Had 82 for 39pts :D

6 Greens
8 fairways (missed 4 more by a metre)
34 putts :(

Putting and chipping let me down today but still very happy with that score :wink:

Jarro
15th January 2005, 03:40 PM

6 Greens

Putting and chipping let me down today but still very happy with that score :wink:

nice shootin' mate 8)

the more fairways you hit, the better chance you have to post a good score. How many times did you hit the driver today :?:

990B Luva
15th January 2005, 06:04 PM
wish i was playing :cry:

Keza_G
15th January 2005, 06:32 PM
Played Windaroo today at 7am

34 pitiful points.....
34 pathetic putts...
84 off the damn stick..

Not happy Jan ..... I drove the ball beautiful and couldn't convert anything :cry:

Nevermind, playing Riverlakes at 1pm tomorrow...try again

Cheers

Keza_G

Onewood
15th January 2005, 06:38 PM
Back to Logan today..76/7 = 69 Golfer68 won the day with 73/7 = 66 (thats G68 not G69) but I'm sure everybody would have picked that :D

12/16 fairways
8 x GIR
31 putts
13 pars
:shock: 1 bird :shock:
3 x bogeys
1 x double (OB) :cry: playing safe with an iron off the tee....I hate that :evil:

Eag's
15th January 2005, 08:22 PM

6 Greens

nice shootin' mate 8)

the more fairways you hit, the better chance you have to post a good score. How many times did you hit the driver today :?:

Hit 3 iron of the tee 5 times today and driver the rest :)

davidp
15th January 2005, 08:38 PM
Judging by recent performances by Eag's and Onewood, there's a bit of form coming into City GC next weekend. :D

Davemason
15th January 2005, 10:25 PM
32 pts at Coral Cove GC today . my drives off tee I was happy with but my short game lit me down again, lost my touch around the greens .

Courty
15th January 2005, 11:56 PM
For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn't play any golf at all this weekend just gone. The previous 5 rounds over the Xmas break were average at best, but I'm looking forward to posting some better results in this thread before the end of the weekend :roll:

Well, the results are in. I figured out why my ball-striking has been crap. Made some adjustments over the first few holes and... :shock: VOILA! I can hit the ball straight again, but more importantly, I have regained confidence in my swing. It was a 4ball stroke event. My partner & I had nett 63. Individually I had 76. Played to handicap on the front (+4) and had a bogie, a double & 3 birdies on the back to finish even for the 9.

Here's the breakdown:

Fairways: 7/7 front, 4/7 back, 11/14 total
GIR: 5/9 front, 7/9 back, 12/18 total
Putts: 18 front, 15 back, 33 total
Score: 39 front, 37 back, 76 total.

:D :D :D

AndyP
16th January 2005, 10:23 AM
15/01/05, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours

A nice confidence building round. I went into the round with a plan for nearly every hole, and stuck to it. The round certainly wasn't error free, but I hit it well off the tee with the driver or Ezydrive, irons were acceptable, very happy with my work around the greens, and putted great.

That bloody 14th hole has me mentally beaten though. :evil: (For those who have played Nambour, it is the 180m downhill par 3 with the war cemetary (OOB) on the right).

9/12 effective T-shots.
4/18 effective regulation approaches.
6/10 up & downs.
29 putts.
---
1 birdie. (1st hole :D )
9 pars.
4 bogeys.
4 double bogeys.

Score 39-40-79 nett 65 (Par 34-34-68 )

Handicap should drop from 13.6. How much will depend on the CCR which should be 66 or 67, or if I am really lucky 68.

McMw
16th January 2005, 11:26 AM
been a very lousy week of playing and scoring...
today's the last day to salvage a shocking week... :(

Trung
16th January 2005, 01:10 PM
Sat: 30
Sun: 34 :P

Getting use to my new hcp.... 8)

Jarro
16th January 2005, 01:55 PM
social hit today with Moocow on the new Vic.Park layout.

Par 65 [34/31] .. pretty short course with 8 par 3's, 9 par 4's and 1 par 5 :roll:

some nice little tricky par 4's there, not really holes you'd use driver on.. but i did anyway :roll: worth a hit at, although i think $25 is a bit rich :x

anyway, shot a 74 [+9] with 32 putts, which i wasn't that unhappy with. made a few mistakes though.

Keza_G
16th January 2005, 10:02 PM
16/01/05

So ....... After a very ordinary round at Windaroo yesterday, I thought I might do better today at Riverlakes..... I played with the ol' ball and chain... I nearly beat him... I was winning until the last hole....

78 off the stick :D (6 over)
31 putts :D
9/13 Fairways
10/18 Greens

Very happy today.... Scott shot 6 over as well and was pleased that I bogeyed the last to square him.. :wink:

Cheers

Keza_G

Onewood
16th January 2005, 10:08 PM
Good to see some return of form Keza,

Trung
16th January 2005, 10:22 PM
Keza & Damocow,

=D> :smt038 =D> :smt038 =D>

TS
16th January 2005, 10:53 PM
Keza, good to see that you have short stick under control. All that putting practice must be paying off.

McMw
16th January 2005, 11:15 PM
thought today was gonna be the day for me to break my streak of bad scoring...

condition...very windy...
how windy???
on the 13th, I hit a 9 iron from 170 yards out (to the centre of the green), pin high, back of the green...
on the 8th, I hit a low 4 iron from 170 yards out onto the green, settled on the back portion...
on the 9th, I hit a controlled 6 iron 150yards...
it was windy...it's been like this for abt a month now... :(

started off par, birdie, birdie, par (missed bird), par (missed bird)...finished off the nine in 35 level par...woo hoo...

on the tenth, block/fade my tee shot OOBs, hit my 4th shot over the green, and almost into the lake...hit my 5th shot onto a stone, leaving a nice gauge into my lobwedge, whilst not moving the ball at all, 6th shot managed to get it moving 6 yards, chipped on, and my snowman putt hung on the lip...AWESOME 9 (+5) to start the back nine....

and it got worse...
on the 13th, had a 2 footer putt (after a good bunker shot) for par, and 3 putts later...carded a double bogey 6... :roll:

finished the nine in 46 (+11)...

wat more can I say??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimandr
16th January 2005, 11:21 PM
I don't know that I have ever been more disappointed with a 37 point return than I am today.

I haven't played really well for 6 months, and today I played really well and got no reward for it.

The stats tell the story:

Front nine: 7 fairways out of 7. 8 GIR out of 9 for a total of 3 over, with 8 two putts and a four putt. Obviously, no birdies.

Back nine: 5 fairways out of 7. 6 GIR out of 9 for a total of 2 over, with 2 one putts, 6 two putts, one three putt for a double bogey. 2 birdies, both from under 5 feet.

I have hardly ever hit the ball better, but I kept leaving myself curling downhill putts that just wouldn't go in.

Another very interesting thing: my partner was a 13 year old girl, who had recorded 48 points the previous day by shooting one over par off her former 13 handicap. Off her new 10 handicap she had 37 points after wiping the first. Sydneysiders may want to keep an eye on the name of Adriana Brent. She may turn out to be very good. Her mother accompanied her around the course, which meant I couldn't use the only appropriate word after my four putt on our 8th hole.

Still, I can't wait to have another go next week.

Onewood
17th January 2005, 12:36 AM
Nice front nine Mau, :wink: as you finished off "what more can I say :D "

Jim, that looow round is just around the corner :P hang in there :D

Flowergirl
17th January 2005, 09:50 AM
Great round Andy P...........so what is the new handicap????? Great to see you having a good round. :D

And well done to you too Keza.

I played two rounds - just nine holes both times- on the weekend. Played under my handicap both times and putted alot, lot better. Feel like my form has returned. :wink:

amanda
17th January 2005, 10:10 AM
First game in weeks and I played ok - 4 down in a par event. It took me 13 holes to get back into the groove :lol:

AndyP
17th January 2005, 10:24 AM
Great round Andy P...........so what is the new handicap????? Great to see you having a good round. :D
Ta. Golflink not available, and the score hadn't been put in by yesterday. Do you think if I keep clicking on the link every half hour, it will make it appear faster? :roll:
All I know is that the BRD went to +1, and I had -3.

I played two rounds - just nine holes both times- on the weekend. Played under my handicap both times and putted alot, lot better. Feel like my form has returned. :wink:
I'm glad that you fixed your putting. Was this because of the practice session you put in with it?

First game in weeks and I played ok - 4 down in a par event. It took me 13 holes to get back into the groove
So you decided that you did miss golf, and that you weren't giving it up?

AndyP
17th January 2005, 01:36 PM
Ta. Golflink not available, and the score hadn't been put in by yesterday. Do you think if I keep clicking on the link every half hour, it will make it appear faster? :roll:
All I know is that the BRD went to +1, and I had -3.
Handicap did not move one little bit. I really had my hopes up about it going down, even if it was the bare minimum. :(
Last time I make an assumption about the CCR.

Flowergirl
17th January 2005, 02:06 PM
Handicap did not move one little bit. I really had my hopes up about it going down, even if it was the bare minimum. :(

That so so sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel. You was robbed Andy :x :x :x

And no - I didn't get round to practising my putting. I just went back to basics, went through my routine for every putt and just told myself that I will make the putt rather than standing over it saying " gee I hope I don't miss this"
Hope you kill that handicap next time you play.

BrisVegas
17th January 2005, 02:11 PM

Bummer. You need to play somewhere with a higher CCR/ACR...

At least your scores are trending in the right direction...

104-97-87-89-91-79-?? You must be due for some more low-80's and high-70's rounds. :wink:

senecio
17th January 2005, 03:03 PM
Wohoo, back to back rounds in the 70's

Last week
75 gross (par 70) for 41 stableford points. Pity it was an aggregate stableford and my partner only had 22 points.
3 Fairways
11 GIR

This week
79 gross for 37 points.
2 Fairways
9 GIR

If only I could find a fairway :shock:

Ryan

AndyP
17th January 2005, 03:30 PM
Bummer. You need to play somewhere with a higher CCR/ACR...
I have heard that is why we don't have too many low handicappers at Nambour. Playing off "scratch" would mean consistently playing 3 under par.

At least your scores are trending in the right direction...

104-97-87-89-91-79-?? You must be due for some more low-80's and high-70's rounds. :wink:
I guess so. It is a little misleading because of all the different courses that I play.
High 70's would be very nice though.

Keza_G
17th January 2005, 04:22 PM
Keza, good to see that you have short stick under control. All that putting practice must be paying off.

Thanks must go to amanda and Dr Bob Rotella........

Cheers

Keza_G

markTHEblake
20th January 2005, 12:52 PM

1st time to break 80 on your home course?

Your Shout!

AndyP
20th January 2005, 12:59 PM

1st time to break 80 on your home course?

Your Shout!
1st time in a single stroke comp, yes.

Would have broken it during the matchplay rounds last year.
Also broke it individually in 4BBB stableford with Mandy.

But I guess it still is a milestone. :D

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 10:07 AM
Played a quick nine at Emmy this morning.
Birdie-birdie-lip out birdie start....couple of stumbles late and had two chips lip out......38 (2 over).

Pulled the pin on the second 9.....getting pretty steamy out there.

Didn't you start at 6am? :-k

Come on, post your 18 hole score :roll:

AndyP
21st January 2005, 10:18 AM
Played a quick nine at Emmy this morning.
Birdie-birdie-lip out birdie start....couple of stumbles late and had two chips lip out......38 (2 over).
Pulled the pin on the second 9.....getting pretty steamy out there.
Being the "glass is half empty" sort of guy that I am, I can't help but notice that you are still trying to avoid that back nine collapse.

Come on, post your 18 hole score :roll:
Maybe he has posted it in the correct thread, and not here, which is last weeks. :roll: