PDA

View Full Version : looking at purchasing my first set of clubs

ozdevil
20th June 2009, 09:05 AM
Gday All

as i said in onther thread on another board topic i am only new and starting out at golf.....

i am willing to spend upto 700 dollars in which includes a buggy and bag...

I understand that alot comes down to personel choice and what makes the golfer feel comfortable in his play

for my price range that i am looking at what will i should i be expecting and what would be reasonable brand for that type of Money?

I was thinking of buying second hand but not knowing what to look for and what would be reasonable price to pay i kind of want to stay away from that until i learn more about golf...

thanks if you can help point me in the right direction

cheers
ozdevil

adlo
20th June 2009, 09:12 AM
Second hand is the way to go, for sure.

You could build a good set for that price if you grab a few bargains around here.

I would keep it simple, forget a 3 wood and more than one wedge. Get a forgiving driver with 10.5 degrees of loft or more (prefer 12 degrees), a hybrid or two and start your irons from 5 iron down to PW.

Dotty
20th June 2009, 10:18 AM
Ozdevil, where are you based ?
If we can't sell you 2nd hand stuff through the Ozgolf pro-shop, at least we can point you to a decent retailer in your area.

Avoid very cheap sets ($250-300) from department stores and some golf shops. Like cheap bikes, these are solid, but cumbersome and may have QC issues.

Budget also for a couple of lessons as well, and probably keep some coin aside for upgrading the driver, wedge or putter, depending which would benefit the most.

I'll partially disagree with Adlo. A 3 wood can be easier to hit off the tee than the driver, as it is shorter (more control) and more loft (gets the ball in the air easier). I wouldn't recommend a beginner to hit a 3 wood off the fairway or the rough.

Another alternative, is just buy a few of ex-demo clubs (3wood, 20* hybrid, 6i, 9i, sw, putter). Get your swing sorted out over the next year, then buy something that matches your game. (And if you don't like the game, you haven't got a complete set lying around gathering dust.)

markTHEblake
20th June 2009, 10:25 AM
As your budget is $700 that suggests one of two things. either thats all you can afford, or the cook says thats all you can have, and as you are asking here you are obviously wanting to get the maximum return on this investment.

If the golf shop you go to has;
- posters for titleist, callaway, TM.
- a salesman that points to a set on the shelf and says this suits you
walk away.

Find a rickety old golf shop that looks like something out of Steptoe and Son

It should have some sort of facility to hit balls, like a practice net, the bloke in the shop is wearing an apron, is in the middle of making clubs when you walk in, and he says 'wont be a minute' there is golf club bits everywhere. He shall make some recommendations after you hit balls for 10 mins, and whatever set he organises for you will need to be built or an existing set with adjustments.

Do this and you will get a great set of clubs that you will love for the right price, it may or may not be a recognised brand, but thats better than paying maximum dollar to a salesman motivated by commission, and getting some shiny one size fits all junk that is not going to work for you, unless you are really really lucky. Lucky like drawing 4 aces two hands in a row. :-)

adlo
21st June 2009, 01:38 AM
Dotty, I disagree with you. Hey, even go to a 13 or 16 degree driver. So much forgiveness is a 460cc club head that gives decent results when hit 1 inch off center.

just
21st June 2009, 05:46 AM
I have seen these in the shops and think they are good looking set with everything anyone needs:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cleveland-Tour-Action-Complete-Package-Not-1699_W0QQitemZ390056400948QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sp ort_Golf_Equipment?hash=item5ad12c5834&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Should be able to get it cheaper. Another option for you.

3oneday
21st June 2009, 07:24 AM
What MTB said, 100% !!!

mike
21st June 2009, 10:06 AM
Find a rickety old golf shop that looks like something out of Steptoe and Son

It should have some sort of facility to hit balls, like a practice net, the bloke in the shop is wearing an apron, is in the middle of making clubs when you walk in, and he says 'wont be a minute' there is golf club bits everywhere. He shall make some recommendations after you hit balls for 10 mins, and whatever set he organises for you will need to be built or an existing set with adjustments.

Interesting post. We had one of these up here. He even wore an apron sometimes:D

He's no longer in business.

razaar
21st June 2009, 10:20 AM
If I was buying my first set I would look in the classified adverts of the Saturday paper under golf clubs, as my first option.

ozdevil
21st June 2009, 10:28 PM
guls and gals

Thank you all for the advice that you have given me so far on purchasing my first set it is certainly helpful and given me some food for thought...

over the weekend i went and had a look at few clubs and packages and was fortunate enogh to have a whack and on Saturday i had a round of golf with work social club so i was able to have alook at there clubs and they also allowed me to have a hit with them...

In the clubs i tried i certainly seen the difference in what a club can do and how a club has to feel right for the golfer...

I am still very green at this and i am not trying to run at full steam at this as i do want to make the right descion first off and want to get a set that feels right for me with in my budget for my first set....

cheers
ozdevil

Yossarian
21st June 2009, 10:45 PM
Where are you based mate, might be able to hook up with someone for a hit and a chat.

ozdevil
22nd June 2009, 05:25 AM
Where are you based mate, might be able to hook up with someone for a hit and a chat.

melbourne based yossarian... hooking up with someone would be good but i think at first i should get myself some golfing lessons and learn the fundementals...

cheers
ozdevil

ozdevil
29th June 2009, 05:08 PM
guys thankyou very much for the advice given to me

i have now succusfully purchased a set of clubs and just waiting on the missus to give me a leave pass to head out and try them out

i ended up buying a set of maxifli fire brought buggy and bag as well

cheers
ozdevil