PDA

View Full Version : The new Doc putter from ping

Davemason
10th January 2005, 08:17 PM
Has any one seen these putter up close? I saw a Doc 15 in HOG today and I thought it was a novelty putter from ping but I was told it was serious and the Doc 17 is even bigger :shock:, the 15 & 17 stand for 15cm and 17cm long. (heel to toe)
and the web site backs them up .
http://www.pinggolf.com/images/products/putters/udrainium/hero.jpghttp://www.pinggolf.com/images/products/putters/udrainium/doc17_address_top.jpg
Just wonder if they will take off. You have to see it to believe it.

Ducky
10th January 2005, 08:34 PM
That is HUGE!

You sure that ball in the picture isn't a white M&M?

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Onewood
10th January 2005, 09:37 PM
Gotta get one for golfer69 8)

This would highlight the slice putt perfectly :D

andylo
10th January 2005, 09:37 PM
Look can be deciving ;)

The putter not only look HUGH, it's fugly too!! It almost need it's own bag so you can carry it around on the course.

I tried them in GW and the following is my comment:

Very forgiving: HUGH sweetspot. Some putter is very sensitive on mis-center hit but this one... well.. the ball will just roll to where the putter facing too no matter where you hit (in reasonable range of course ;) )

Very low center gravity... like the Craz-E but it feel a lot lower. Imagine Enterprises spaceship crusing 10 feet above the ground. That's the feeling of Doc putters.

Ball rolls very true

Very easy to keep the putting line thru back and forward swing due to it's weight

Very solid impact feeling. You'd be sure you made a pure stroke (well... with that size... ;) )

Now the downside:

I find it very hard on short putt. It feel like it's going to overpower the putt.

It also doesn't feel that soft compare to other milled putter. Would be nice if they make a insert version

That is HUGE!

You sure that ball in the picture isn't a white M&M?

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

davidp
10th January 2005, 10:18 PM
Believe it or not, Tom Watson is now using the Dinner Plate on a Stick from Ping.

Ducky
11th January 2005, 12:06 AM
I don't mind the design, actually. I just think the size would be a bit distracting when trying to align putts.

How much were they selling the Doc15's for, Andy?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

goughy
11th January 2005, 07:17 AM
They are spose to be highly effective. There only problem is who would have the guts to put on in play. But I guess if you started to sink putts from everywhere then what the heck.

andylo
11th January 2005, 08:48 AM
How much were they selling the Doc15's for, Andy?

I can't recall exactly but it would be around $300 if not one cent :p

Kee, can you recall the price we saw??

And I am agree with goughy. Whatever works its good.

"A cat can catch mouse is a good cat, no matter its a black cat or white cat"

Kee
11th January 2005, 08:51 AM
Nope, I can't remember the price. It would have been around the $300 mark.

The Doc is a massive putter. Very distracting, but it has a nice feel to it for such a massive head.

Flowergirl
11th January 2005, 08:57 AM
"A cat can catch mouse is a good cat, no matter its a black cat or white cat"[/i]

Has to be without doubt -the smartest thing that Andylo has posted. How true!!! :D All you Ho's take note!!!! ( you too Andylo!!)

andylo
11th January 2005, 09:00 AM
Has to be without doubt -the smartest thing that Andylo has posted. How true!!! :D All you Ho's take note!!!! ( you too Andylo!!)

heeheehee..... But all other things I said still pretty smart right?? ;)

Ducky
11th January 2005, 09:04 AM
Well, I tried to have a crack at an auction for a Ping Doc 15 on Ebay this morning, but was not willing to go over $200. It looks as if someone else wants it more than me and has a larger budget.

:?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 09:06 AM

heeheehee..... But all other things I said still pretty smart right?? ;)

No comment.

A-Ho - in the other thread you (rightfully?) defend yourself in your shaft review, saying that you can drive the ball perhaps better than you can putt. So then how does a frequent 4-putter go about posting a putter review? :smt102 ;)

Have you tried putting with your 3-wood?

andylo
11th January 2005, 09:17 AM
No comment.

Cool... I am not asking you anyway ;)

A-Ho - in the other thread you (rightfully?) defend yourself in your shaft review, saying that you can drive the ball perhaps better than you can putt. So then how does a frequent 4-putter go about posting a putter review? :smt102 ;)

As I suggest in the original post its my "comment" of the Ping putter, NOT a review. I believe you can't do a review unless you use the thing often enough. I think spent 10 mins with the Doc putter in GW doesn't give me enough to do a full review.

Have you tried putting with your 3-wood?
FYI I had try to use 3/5 wood chip the ball into the hole a few time from the fringe. And tried to "blade" the ball into the hole with a lob wedge.... for fun sake. but 99.9% of time I use a putter on green.

terryand
11th January 2005, 09:19 AM
Fishy, I guess you can feel all the things that A-Lo said.

But if you haven't got a repeatitive putting stroke......

I'm not havin a go at ya A-Lo, just tryin to help you out.

Terry..

andylo
11th January 2005, 09:21 AM
Fishy, I guess you can feel all the things that A-Lo said.

But if you haven't got a repeatitive putting stroke......

I'm not havin a go at ya A-Lo, just tryin to help you out.

Terry..

That's cool Tez, I know you are not having a go on me. My putter stroke is one of the major issue in my game ;) I am working on it... stay tune ;)