PDA

View Full Version : 3w decision - Adams BUL v V-Steel v Sonartec ss2.5

dhills2
19th June 2009, 01:38 PM
Looking for advice from all you knowledgeable hoes out there -

Interested in one of these 3 clubs to replace my Ping G5 which didn't quite have enough loft at 13 deg.

Trying to build a fairly forgiving high initial launch low spinning fairway finder :lol:

Would like a fairly solid feel off the face without that shitty high pitched ping you get from some clubs (like the Wilson Spine!).

I can see the SS2.5 head on the bay which would allow me to shop for a suitable shaft. The Adams BUL I would ship in from RBG but not sure if Prolaunch Red is the shaft for the job :-k V-Steel... might take some searching around as no-one seems to want to let go of them.

Any shaft recommendations are most welcome. Perhaps someone has something they didn't like from Virge's UST sale. Looking for something in stiff and around 75g.

Thanks in advance.

3oneday
19th June 2009, 01:41 PM
Nah, carry a 2nd driver ;)

macjackass
19th June 2009, 01:43 PM
Go demo a rapture 3 wood (the newer version) and see if someone wants to sell theirs (hint hint)

Don't know a PL red is going to be what you're after, they're pretty low-launch. Out of the heads you mentioned, i'd go v-steel, if you can track one down.

3oneday
19th June 2009, 01:45 PM
3balls has several V Steels listed right now !

simmsy
19th June 2009, 01:47 PM
Adlo!

mikezone13
19th June 2009, 02:17 PM
I have a V Steel 15* with 90gm Proforce V2 in it that I'm willing to sell. But to be fair you should be looking at a Hibore XLS fairway, easiest thing to hit bar none (fairway or tee)

Johnny Canuck
19th June 2009, 02:19 PM
i've demo'd the sonartec and it was ok.

i carried a v-steel 3 wood for years and still carry the 5 wood. can't go wrong with them.

just
19th June 2009, 02:59 PM
Are you going to hit it off the fairway? If not then I'd stay with something big like a G5 or one of the Raptures in a higher loft.

Grunt
19th June 2009, 03:44 PM
I had a Sonartec SS2.5, Was a great 2nd driver but hard as hell to get off the deck of the fairway.

dhills2
19th June 2009, 04:14 PM
I had a Sonartec SS2.5, Was a great 2nd driver but hard as hell to get off the deck of the fairway.

Well, that rules out the Sonartec. I don't mind hitting off the deck on a longer track... but at the very least would like to have that option.

I think the Hi Bore XLS is too much head for my liking... though the Adams BUL seems to be of a similar breed - but I have been told that it is piss easy to hit off the deck.

Tongueboy
19th June 2009, 04:24 PM
i got a sonartec 14* and its the ducks nuts. no problems of the deck and ok of the tee

dhills2
19th June 2009, 04:57 PM
Considering buying a V Steel head off Mike... anyone got a stiff low spin shaft around 75g? Virge? Someone who has recently bought up from Virge?

adlo
19th June 2009, 05:03 PM
BUL is stupid easy to hit. Can't beat a Ti FW wood with cup face.

I have hit V Steel. Very solid but the BUL is more forgiving, hands down. Would need a reshaft though.

dhills2
19th June 2009, 05:04 PM
Mike has quoted $120 for the V steel with proforce V2... what's a fair price if I was to take the head only & leave the V2 with Mike?

dhills2
19th June 2009, 05:06 PM
BUL is stupid easy to hit. Can't beat a Ti FW wood with cup face.

I have hit V Steel. Very solid but the BUL is more forgiving, hands down. Would need a reshaft though.

But the V Steel will re-sell for more when I change my mind in 2 weeks :mrgreen: joking of course... maybe.

adlo
19th June 2009, 05:12 PM
BUL prices have been firm for a year or two now. The initial Adams Golf depreciation has already happened.

Dotty
19th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Sounds like very good value, esp. as Mike looks after his clubs.

Six months ago, I paid $100 each for a couple of V-Steel with OEM MAS2 (r) shafts, in ordinary condition (bag clatter).

Ferrins
19th June 2009, 06:22 PM
I use the Sonartec SS2.5 15* and I changed from the V-steel. It's 6 to 1/2 dozen here mate. I have no problem hitting both off the deck and prefer the sonartec. The thing to get right is the shaft.

mikezone13
19th June 2009, 07:10 PM
I think the Hi Bore XLS is too much head for my liking... though the Adams BUL seems to be of a similar breed - but I have been told that it is piss easy to hit off the deck.

Exactly what I thought when I got it, was thinking tee club only, but after hitting it off the deck the thing is just stupid easy to hit long, high and straight.

I'm sure I'm not doing the V-Steel sale any good, but anyway :)

adlo
19th June 2009, 07:13 PM
XLS FW and hybrids are damn easy to hit.

PeteyD
20th June 2009, 02:12 PM
Are you a rep for Cleveland or something Adlo?

dhills2
20th June 2009, 03:01 PM
Leaning towards the adams now purely based on price. 40 bucks US from rbg and i can get some new shirts while im at it

adlo
20th June 2009, 04:43 PM
Are you a rep for Cleveland or something Adlo?

I think you will find I advocate the Adams BUL first and foremost.

I only own Cleveland wedges, so that should answer your question. The XLS FW and hybrids just impressed me, thats all. Not enough to buy them though.

Johnny Canuck
20th June 2009, 05:08 PM
Aldo hits his Adams very pure. Best club in his bag. Pity he only uses it once a round.

Can't go wrong with Adams. Best driver and hybrid that I have ever owned. If I didn't love my Burner TP so much, I might be tempted to try the 3 wood myself.

The only person around here that wouldn't be able to hit it would be Simmsy:)!

PeteyD
21st June 2009, 06:43 PM
You don't have to answer rhetorical questions.

adlo
21st June 2009, 06:48 PM
I must post a response to all things at all times.

Yossarian
21st June 2009, 06:55 PM
I must post a response to all things at all times.

+1:mrgreen:

dhills2
21st June 2009, 06:56 PM
Got a V Steel from 3balls for $70 shipped (threw it on the back of a mate's order) & am also getting the BUL from RBG... will trial both then offload the loser... or reshaft the BUL for the Mrs if the V Steel wins. Thanks for all the help fellas. Almost got the Sonartec as well from 3balls because it was so cheap but it had a reg shaft which was a deal breaker.

adlo
21st June 2009, 06:57 PM
Are you sure it isn't the BTY with the PL Red in it?

dhills2
22nd June 2009, 07:12 AM
I think im sure, stuffed up in my original post but ordered the BUL with speedline 75g shaft. Is this the one adlo? I noticed they also have the BTY there.

adlo
22nd June 2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, BUL has the speedline, BTY has the PL Red.

Speedline is playable, but the club does benifit from a reshaft. You will be able to work out if it is worth reshafting from hitting the club with the stock offering though.

3oneday
22nd June 2009, 02:39 PM
I have an IE70 stiff shaft if you are looking for a good fairway shaft with low spin. $60 delivered, it's new.