PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a New Driver Shaft

JKA
18th June 2009, 08:42 PM
I've currently got an 8.5 TM R7 Quad with a stock stiff MAS2 7-65 firm tip shaft.

My swing speed is 105 - 110 mph and I find I hit my drives a little too high for comfort. I like the look of the driver so thought that changing the shaft would be an option. Only thing is I aint got a clue what would suit me.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Captain Nemo
18th June 2009, 08:49 PM
Yes!:mrgreen:
Those stock TM shafts are crap!
Check out all the guys on here who have TM drivers and see how many have the original oem shaft:-k

kingslayer33
18th June 2009, 09:39 PM
Hi JKA,

I posed almost the same question a little while back...There were some suggestions of shafts to try in that.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12886

Since I have picked up a new (old) driver but have also just got one of the protopypes that kwantfm suggested in my thread.

Looking forward to seeing how that goes but I haven't decided whether to put it in the 907D2 or the R7 yet.

Good luck with your search. And don't take any notice of those Cairns boys. They seem to go through more driver shafts than the others. :lol:

Others here would be better qualified to know but I think one thing to bear in mind is that the TM has a 0.35" diam shaft and most good shafts seem to come in 0.335". Pretty sure you can just get some form of adaptor to allow you to use the 335's in the TM though.

adlo
18th June 2009, 09:40 PM
Reshafting a TM driver will bring it to life.

Do it.

paulyboy
18th June 2009, 10:42 PM
So what do you guys think of the stock Titleist shafts.
The Voodo and the Diamana?
Paul

markTHEblake
18th June 2009, 11:53 PM
I've currently got an 8.5 TM R7 Quad with a stock stiff MAS2 7-65 firm tip shaft.

while you are replacing the shaft you should replace the head at the same time

Different shafts make minimal difference to height but it is spin that is the major contributor and that comes from the head.

At your clubhead speed you should be plonking yourself down in front of a launch monitor and work it all out properly.

adlo
18th June 2009, 11:55 PM
Good point Blakey.

With those numbers a low spin head would be a good idea.

zigwah
19th June 2009, 01:20 AM
Yes!:mrgreen:
Those stock TM shafts are crap!
Check out all the guys on here who have TM drivers and see how many have the original oem shaft:-k

Is there any OEM shafts that are any good? or do the head manufacturers have a deal with the shaft makers?

adlo
19th June 2009, 01:23 AM
Some OEM shafts are OK Zig.

Some OEMs just love cheap crap shafts! TM and Cleveland have a bad reputuation.

Virge is the man in the know here.

Johnny Canuck
19th June 2009, 01:24 AM
It all depends on personal preference. I used stock MAS shafts in my 3 and 5 woods for years and loved them.

adlo
19th June 2009, 01:30 AM
But you are also a freak.

Good point though JC, some stock shafts are quite suited to 120mph swing speeds :mrgreen:

zigwah
19th June 2009, 01:39 AM
So basically you gotta pay nearly 6 hungy for the R9 and then put a new shat in it?

I just put a shaft in a Mad Mac and i think it will give any 460 stocker out the atm a run for its money

adlo
19th June 2009, 01:46 AM
Most decent 460 heads are all about the shaft zig.

And you never buy a brand new driver when they are $500+. You would have to be an idiot, like Haysey.

Wait till they drop in price and then a reshaft doesn't break the bank.

JKA
19th June 2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

The comments about spin rate from the club face make sense and it would probably make more sense to change the head too.

Had a quick look and the Bridgestone J33 and the Geek Dot Com seem to have a low spin rates.

Anyone got any experience with either of these drivers or any others that fit the bill?

Cheers

3oneday
19th June 2009, 07:20 AM
J33 460 is a great driver, one of the best I've hit. Low spin and very long.

If you didn't want to change drivers you could just go a heavier shaft, say 80 grams or so. Long is nice but I guess straight is best :)

virge666
19th June 2009, 09:36 AM
Shafts are about stability and spin.

2 rules...

- If it works - don't fix it.
- OEM shafts are all shit. Anything that says "Made for", "Made by", "engineered by" or anything like that are repainted "spin machines" that have no business being in my bag. EVER. TM are notorious for this.

However these rubbish shafts may suit you, so hit them first.

If anyone doesn't believe me - go and hit a REAL Rombax, Voodoo, 757, Diamana Blue/White and then hit one that came in a Titty, TM, Nike or Ping.

Captain Nemo
22nd June 2009, 11:26 AM
So what do you guys think of the stock Titleist shafts.
The Voodo and the Diamana?
Paul

I liked the stock Voodoo "made for" over the Diamana when i tried the D2/3's at a Titty demo.
Still think the "real' shafts are better!

Matt
24th June 2009, 05:00 PM
sorry to hijack a bit, but is related to amount of spin, does anyone know if the Ping G5 produces much spin of the face?

thanks.

razaar
24th June 2009, 05:41 PM
sorry to hijack a bit, but is related to amount of spin, does anyone know if the Ping G5 produces much spin of the face?

thanks.
Depends where you hit it on the face, your clubhead speed and your angle of attack. What is your swing at impact like?

Matt
24th June 2009, 05:50 PM
hit them well. swing speed is high, good distance, misses are toe side of centre contact, about a fairway width cut on my misses.

razaar
24th June 2009, 06:16 PM
hit them well. swing speed is high, good distance, misses are toe side of centre contact, about a fairway width cut on my misses.
Towards the toe strikes will be a hook spin not a cut - can't help you.

JKA
5th July 2009, 09:45 AM
So, I've spent a bit of time now trying a few different drivers and the one I like best is the Geek Fail Safe 3 - like the look of it at address and impact sound is good. Ball carries a good distance and if I'm correct it should have more release when it lands as it's a low spin driver. Not really an issue just now as the fairways are that wet nothing rolls.

The one I have on demo was fitted for me with a stiff Graman 680 Ultimate G Series shaft which I'm not sure is the best option for me. I believe it's a 95 gram shaft which is heavier than I've had before. My natrual shape is a gentle fade but I can usually move it right to left when I need to but but I can't with this shaft.

I know bugger all about shafts and I'm trying to find out if a lighter shaft will help me draw the ball when I want to. Any opinions on Graman shafts also appreciated

Cheers