PDA

View Full Version : Amazing walkthrough of Bethpage Black in time for the US open.

ParMaster
16th June 2009, 09:19 PM
Here is a link to an AMAZINGLY IMFORMATIVE COURSE TOUR OF Bethpage Black.

If you are going to watch this your experience will be much more enjoyed if you read this article.

Please read and comment.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40072.0/

dee cee
16th June 2009, 10:21 PM
Go play it on worldgolftour.com Crazy course. Very hilly and looooooonnnngggg

adlo
16th June 2009, 11:31 PM
Good link.

Great looking course.

Mayhem
17th June 2009, 12:32 AM
Great link. Those areals give you a great idea of the distance but not how hard the holes are. There is a pictorial on Bethpage in Golf magazine this month that makes it look real hard. Big big bunkers and pick your shot!!

Thanks for the link. Will make me appraciate the comp when it starts.

Andrew
17th June 2009, 08:38 AM
Bethpage Black is a great course. It literally has the biggest look & feel of any course I’ve played. It’s an illusion that Tillinghast often created in his courses.

The only problem is the length of rounds. The first time I played there was on a weekend where we had to line up & wait for the ballot of tee times, then had an almost 6 hour round. By the time I walked off the 18th I had already spent 9 hours at the course.

Bruce
17th June 2009, 09:28 AM
Did you get 9 hours of value from playing it Andrew?

I'm guessing you weren't planning on doing much else on that day.

I think I could handle the overhead time but the 6 hour round would be doing my head in.

Why so long do you think? Does it eat a lot of balls?

Andrew
17th June 2009, 11:08 AM
Bruce,

I probably did get 9 hours of value. The second time I played there it was mid-week & the time on course, although still long by Australian standards, was much shorter.

What slowed it up the most were the groups in front taking it so seriously. We were about the 14th or 15th group off, but the guys in front were obviously competing to see who was the greatest golfer in the history of the universe. Ben Crane could have put a 3 or 4 hole gap on some of these guys. The problem was it was not just one group, but most of the groups.

It does have the potential to eat a lot of balls, but our group didn’t have that problem on either occasion.

Moe Norman
17th June 2009, 12:23 PM
Andrew,

Me and a mate caught a cab there with our golf bags and sleeping bags. Slept in the car park with a driver headcover for a pillow and then had a 6 hour 20 minute round on the black course. It was worth it, despite being unseasonally cold that night!

I went back 2 days later and played the Red, it nudged 6 hours as well.

Andrew_S
17th June 2009, 12:24 PM
Wow, that course looks insane from the back tees. I wonder how many players are going to finish under par.

ParMaster
17th June 2009, 03:02 PM
Welcome to Ozgolf andrew. Nice to have you on board. :)

Coogee Beach
18th June 2009, 07:57 PM
Need a pair of golf shoes, Andrew?

(Size 10, Footjoy "Greenjoys". Quite new.)