PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Striper J review

andylo
10th January 2005, 11:52 AM
After the R7 TP snapped for 2 weeks I have putted 2 shafts into the head. 1stly the Accuflex C.A.S. then the Striper J. I like the Striper J more and the following is my review.

Feel: Very very very smooth. I think it's smoother than the NV in terms of feeling. I can almost feel how the power got transferred from the butt end to the tip.

Tracjectory: Definitely lower than the Accra I used to have... but the tip still pretty soft and still allow me to "kick" the ball high enough to get a decent tracjectory. Time to time Accra will give me a balloon but the J just penetrate the ball up and straight.

Spin: Quite sure the shaft put some extra spins onto the ball. The roll is not as decent compare to the Accra but it's beautiful to watch how the ball goes in the air.

Distance: Probably the shaft is a tick softer than the Accra, I am able to drive to ball very very far even with a little fade on it. A couple of 290 meters with U-Tri Tour so far :D

Talking about fade.... in BSG ppl say the Accra is very hard to draw and it promotes a little fade... due to it's low torque. But I was able to draw it or fade it period (if I put a good swing). But with the J, it was very hard for me to draw the ball.... even I want to hit damn straight one it will promote a little fade no matter what. But with a good carry... I don't care anyway :D

BIG THANKS TO davidp and 3oneday for supplying the shafts in that emergency time. I was really lost during the day without a driver :(

BrisVegas
10th January 2005, 11:59 AM
Spin: Quite sure the shaft put some extra spins onto the ball. The roll is not as decent compare to the Accra but it's beautiful to watch how the ball goes in the air.

Sounds like this thing will be a weapon off the deck. :wink:

Glad you're happy with it Andylo. I'd be lost without my driver too. :cry:

andylo
10th January 2005, 12:02 PM
Sounds like this thing will be a weapon off the deck. :wink:

Nah... I will never do it again. That particular day I was just been toxicated by sunblock and outta my mind big time :lol:

AndyP
10th January 2005, 12:51 PM
:?:
A-Ho, how do you go about comparing shafts with an evolving swing such as yours? Wouldn't a change in your swing change the effects of a shaft?
Or were all of these shafts hit within a small period of time?

andylo
10th January 2005, 12:52 PM
All within a small period of time.

:?:
A-Ho, how do you go about comparing shafts with an evolving swing such as yours? Wouldn't a change in your swing change the effects of a shaft?
Or were all of these shafts hit within a small period of time?

davidp
10th January 2005, 01:10 PM
A-Lo, glad you liked the shaft. It's a decent shaft with some very good reviews on it.

Can't wait to see you perform at City with it. :D

Jarro
10th January 2005, 01:17 PM
nice review A-Lo 8)

i might just get me a Striper J and put it in the 510TP. I really need to hit some 290 meter drives :wink:

are they expensive shafts :?:

andylo
10th January 2005, 01:20 PM
Ben's place selling at $80 something dollars only.

nice review A-Lo 8)

i might just get me a Striper J and put it in the 510TP. I really need to hit some 290 meter drives :wink:

are they expensive shafts :?:

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 06:46 AM
Mate, I don't wish to sound rude but your golflink indicates you play off 27, your last round was 41 over and you're reviewing shafts. :shock: :shock:

andylo
11th January 2005, 07:42 AM
Mate, I don't wish to sound rude but your golflink indicates you play off 27, your last round was 41 over and you're reviewing shafts. :shock: :shock:

So...?

I guess I 3 to 4 putt everything doesn't mean I can't hit my driver. ;) Beside you can ask a few OZGer how well I hit my driver, even in my slump form.

By the way, that's why I don't do the review of my "The Putter" ;)

p.s. Scotty RedX.... its a keeper.

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 08:06 AM

Soon enough you'll get to know the people who have a similar game to yours. Their's will be the reviews to watch out for. Having the golflink in the sig is just one way of working out a relevance or perspective for somebody's opinions on here. Do you have a golflink hcap?

Andylo - have you been on a launch monitor? What are your speed/tempo/launch angle details?

andylo
11th January 2005, 08:09 AM
Andylo - have you been on a launch monitor? What are your speed/tempo/launch angle details?

I only know my current swing speed with driver is marking between 110 to 115mph (depends on the day)

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 08:20 AM

I only know my current swing speed with driver is marking between 110 to 115mph (depends on the day)

Wow! :shock: that would explain the 290m drives then.... Maybe this year you'll take out the Ozgolf Champs Long Drive as well as the Nearest to Pin. :wink:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 08:23 AM

How fast are your swing speeds for drives that hit fairways? :roll:

andylo
11th January 2005, 08:23 AM

Wow! :shock: that would explain the 290m drives then.... Maybe this year you'll take out the Ozgolf Champs Long Drive as well as the Nearest to Pin. :wink:

But it has to landed on fairway right?? :lol:

I think while I am trying to improve my own game, most of OZG will have their game improved as well (both skills :) and equipment wise :lol:) so I think it's not that easy to do that :D

andylo
11th January 2005, 08:27 AM

How fast are your swing speeds for drives that hit fairways? :roll:

Just curious, what is your avg fairway hit precentage?? I thought you have problem on gay fading do you?

On avg I am hitting fairway about 40%

andylo
11th January 2005, 08:31 AM
Wow..I detect some seriousness in that last post andy as there are no smileys.

Because I was challenging fishy ;) :lol:

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 08:43 AM
Wow..I detect some seriousness in that last post andy as there are no smileys.

Because I was challenging fishy ;) :lol:

That's all well and good, but I'll have $5 on Fishy in a game of GOLF. :roll:

3oneday
11th January 2005, 09:47 AM
On avg I am hitting fairway about 40%so am I, although 40% may be generous, maybe more like 30%, imagine if you used a 3 wood 8) 8) or, an iron :wink:

Pete

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 09:48 AM
A-Lo - drive for show, putt for dough.

You can have your 290 metres with a slight draw, i'll take 220 with 3-wood all day. 8)

3oneday
11th January 2005, 09:52 AM
Fishy, just noticed your sig, Windsor Sunday morning ?? my wifes away 8) 8) (again :cry: :lol: )...

Back to you Aloho :lol:

Pete

Jarro
11th January 2005, 10:05 AM
don't listen to them A-Lo.

keep the reviews coming ... these guys know they don't have to read them if they don't want to :roll:

half of them wouldn't even know what a Striper J was anyway :P

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 10:08 AM
Fishy, just noticed your sig, Windsor Sunday morning ?? my wifes away 8) 8) (again :cry: :lol: )...

Back to you Aloho :lol:

Pete

Pete - i'm keen. I haven't booked anything yet. PM me with a time.

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 10:12 AM

Ya got that right!! :lol:

Jarro
11th January 2005, 10:15 AM

Ya got that right!! :lol:

didn't mean you big fella :wink:

nudgee
11th January 2005, 10:17 AM
Andylo,

I hate to say this but I think you are looking in the wrong spot to improve your game. If you are averaging 40% fairways but are 3 and 4 putting, why are you not concentrating more on your putting. I had a long run of shithouse putting and I didnt change anything as I was spending too much time on getting my drives to go longer!! An ego thing!!! But then I took some stats and my putting was the killer in my rounds. Once I concentrated on my putting and put a belly putter into play, my handicap drop by nearly 3 shots in less than 2 months.

Take it from me driving will get you more often into trouble than not and putting will rescue you out of the trouble. Concentrate on putting and you will drop strokes in no time. Oh and 1 more last tip, drop the swingspeed down - 110-115 is way too high and too erratic - I should know - I have dropped my swing speed to around 105-110 and I am concentrating in "punching" through the ball am I finding heaps more fairways and when I miss is only slightly away from the fairway. You don't always have to have a "long drive" swing. My pro friend has told me 1000's of times that pros really only swing their drives at around 80% and seldom crunch a 100% drive out there.

Sorry to go on but while you are at it dropped the 4 practice swings you take at every stroke :wink: - you will achieve two things:

1 - you wont piss your playing partners off by taking forever to hit the ball
2 - you will have less time to think about the shot and will become less mechanical and will develop more and better feeling for shots.

Apart from that I am sure there are people on this forum with handicaps similar to yours that appreciate your review on golf equipment so keep doing it.

nudgee
11th January 2005, 10:20 AM
Andy,

If you want to try a belly putter, I now have a spare Rossa Belly Putter you can take and try to see if it works for you.

Iain
11th January 2005, 10:32 AM
Andylo,

I hate to say this but I think you are looking in the wrong spot to improve your game. If you are averaging 40% fairways but are 3 and 4 putting, why are you not concentrating more on your putting. I had a long run of shithouse putting and I didnt change anything as I was spending too much time on getting my drives to go longer!! An ego thing!!! But then I took some stats and my putting was the killer in my rounds. Once I concentrated on my putting and put a belly putter into play, my handicap drop by nearly 3 shots in less than 2 months.

Take it from me driving will get you more often into trouble than not and putting will rescue you out of the trouble. Concentrate on putting and you will drop strokes in no time. Oh and 1 more last tip, drop the swingspeed down - 110-115 is way too high and too erratic - I should know - I have dropped my swing speed to around 105-110 and I am concentrating in "punching" through the ball am I finding heaps more fairways and when I miss is only slightly away from the fairway. You don't always have to have a "long drive" swing. My pro friend has told me 1000's of times that pros really only swing their drives at around 80% and seldom crunch a 100% drive out there.

Sorry to go on but while you are at it dropped the 4 practice swings you take at every stroke :wink: - you will achieve two things:

1 - you wont p%ss your playing partners off by taking forever to hit the ball
2 - you will have less time to think about the shot and will become less mechanical and will develop more and better feeling for shots.

Apart from that I am sure there are people on this forum with handicaps similar to yours that appreciate your review on golf equipment so keep doing it.

Well said Nudgee!!!! Some of the best advice I've read.

Have you been reading Dr Bob?? As your point no 2 - you will have less time to think about the shot and will become less mechanical and will develop more and better feeling for shots. is very Dr Bob like!!!

Iain

Jarro
11th January 2005, 10:33 AM
well put 69.

we all know how much enthusiasm A-Lo has for the game ... and the gear :wink: let's not try and un-enthuse him .. thats all i'm saying.

we all need to have more lessons in order to improve, but half the fun of golf for some of us is trying out and buying new gear. If the budget allows it .. great.

I for one love reading A-Lo's posts about gear ..... 8)

AndyP
11th January 2005, 10:41 AM
Well said Nudgee!!!! Some of the best advice I've read.
First the anti-Ping rant, now this. That's two strikes. One more and he is outta here. :lol: ;)

P.S I was thinking Dr. Bob when I read point no. 2 as well.

3oneday
11th January 2005, 10:41 AM
By the way, I have 2 Striper J's in play, in firm, in a Nak and a no name. I am hitting some of the longest drives I have hit, even further than my fav shaft the graf blue. Unfortunately neither will be in play this weekend, as I am demoing a stick with a blue in it :lol:

Still don't hit many fairways but now changing lofts to hopefully address.

They are a good shaft, imho.

Pete

davidp
11th January 2005, 11:00 AM
Oh, sh*t, I might as well have my $.02 worth here. Everyone else is...

As a recently reformed ex-ho, I know where A-Lo is coming from and where he is trying to go. I'm glad to see he has stopped ho'ing and is concentrating on his game. One of the dangers of ho'ing is that the ho can get so caught up in rotating equipment in and out of the bag, they forget what it's primary purpose is. :shock:

Most golfers like to read equipment reviews. A review is nothing more than a personal opinion, publicly stated. The reader is welcome to take it on-board or ignore it. It's not a personal slight against the reviewer if the reader chooses to ignore it.

I'm sure A-Lo would have analysed his game by now. (He's in I.T remember?? We geeks analyse everything. :) ) He would have figured out that 50m in is where he can save the most strokes quickly and efficiently. But, hell, it's still fun to stripe it 290m isn't it?? :P It's what happens on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 13th shot that can be frustrating.

I'm no expert, just an ex-ho and hacker now working hard on his game so I feel good sitting at the 19th hole. I'll continue to enjoy reading of A-Lo's thoughts and progress. I've never met anyone as passionate about the game as he is. :)

And, Pete, I hope you post a review of that 11.5* you're testing. :)

davidp
11th January 2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry if I hurt your feelings, g69. Post edited to soften the pain. :wink:

By the way, I've had a 14 on a par 3 before... :shock:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 11:19 AM
Good posts guys.

Fact is, it's fun to watch A-Lo go for it, but when it comes to buying 3 x 52* wedges for whateverthecost - when Jarro was selling the same online for $50 less, you've just got to laugh. I'd love to use a Red X but owning one is another story, and i can't fault my White Hot.

Perhaps i'm not up to speed with Ho-ing, but i think A-Lo's 'condition' at the moment is over-excitedness. I've seen magpies collect less stuff than A-Ho must have in his spare room. I thought Ho's were meant to sell their gear after an hour or two ;) :lol:

terryand
11th January 2005, 11:22 AM
A-Lo - drive for show, putt for dough.

You can have your 290 metres with a slight draw, i'll take 220 with 3-wood all day. 8)

This is a myth and a load of crap [-(

I have made more birdies from the middle of the fairway than from under a bush.

Sure putting can save and make a bad ball stiking day look good #-o

But if you have a good ball striking day, hit all your fairways and have an average day with the putter, you'll score better than the above 9 times out of 10 :smt023

Terry.

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 11:28 AM
This is a myth and a load of crap [-(

I know it can be done, but when i look back at a poor round of golf (frequently occurring), i lament the times when i miss the fairway by 2-10 metres, which often means no 2nd shot at the green. That's where it hurts.

If it means you are more accurate then save yourself 20 metres and give yourself a 2nd shot. Regardless, there's no cut-and-dry rule that this is true however.. :roll:

terryand
11th January 2005, 11:43 AM
Fishy, I won B grade club champs a few years back, hit 1 iron every where and used driver in5 rounds of qualifying and match play probably 10 times.

In my speech I thanked a guy that convinced me to limit the use of the driver. After one of the old club legends( who played for interstate golf well into his 40's) said to me,"if you want to get any better at this game learn to use your driver".

So I took this on board and haven't looked back.

Sure it would be nice to be on the fairway every time with 3wood out there 220m, but I'd prefer to be maybe not 290mbut at least 250-260m and hitting 9 iron in rather than 5 iron,.

I know I hit it alot closer then.....better chance of birdie then.

After saying all this thou, I guess I have to chase birdies off my H/cap, where your game plan might be different off your H/cap.

So in the end I guess its horses for courses :wink:

Terry.

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 11:49 AM
well said Terry. 8)
I've had a similar experience to you. I did ok off about a 9-13 hcap for years using a 3 wood. It wasn't til I found a driver that hit the fairway most of the time (I'm at 70% lately) that I really started to improve. 30-40 extra metres makes a big difference on your iron game. I used to really struggle in pennants when I gave away such a huge amount of distance. You gotta be REALLY stripiing your long irons to put pressure on someone when you're giving them that big an advantage off the tee...

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 11:58 AM
Fishy, I won B grade club champs a few years back, hit 1 iron every where and used driver in5 rounds of qualifying and match play probably 10 times.

In my speech I thanked a guy that convinced me to limit the use of the driver. After one of the old club legends( who played for interstate golf well into his 40's) said to me,"if you want to get any better at this game learn to use your driver".

So I took this on board and haven't looked back.

Sure it would be nice to be on the fairway every time with 3wood out there 220m, but I'd prefer to be maybe not 290mbut at least 250-260m and hitting 9 iron in rather than 5 iron,.

I know I hit it alot closer then.....better chance of birdie then.

After saying all this thou, I guess I have to chase birdies off my H/cap, where your game plan might be different off your H/cap.

So in the end I guess its horses for courses :wink:

Terry.

Well said Terry, i found that when i limited driver to holes where it was necessary to allow myself an approuch with a short iron or a wedge, i had my best round in a comp, i had 4 birdies, all from GIRs, where i had PW or less into the green, i happened to hit 6 GIRS all day, had 30 putts and only hit 4 fairways, the most i missed a fairway by was 5m all day, but gave myself more opportunities to make pars and birdies, and i will admit, i TRIPLE BOGEYED a par 3 in that round, but still had 77 because i concentrated on hitting the ball onto the green, not shooting for the pin, which i mistakenly did when i had the triple bogey

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 12:57 PM

Tex - Bingo.

Everyone should take note of this. My shot-a-hole game plan is far from that of a low double-digit marker, let alone a single-figure marker.

Truth is I am capable of par or birdie'ing any golf hole, but the reality is that i rarely will or do.

Fact is that i'm just not accurate enough at the moment to warrant driver on every hole where par = 4+. What would Henry call it? Course Management?

Jarro
11th January 2005, 01:05 PM
Fishy, just get yourself one of those big-headed drivers ... the ones that make it so you can't miss the fairway :wink:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 01:06 PM
Fishy, just get yourself one of those big-headed drivers ... the ones that make it so you can't miss the fairway :wink:

I thought they were so you can't miss the ball? ;) After Ocean Shores perhaps i need a bigger headed driver after skying my first 2 :shock: :oops:

Jarro
11th January 2005, 01:10 PM
well if you need the bigger driver so you don't miss the ball, maybe you should be playing some other sport :oops:

seriously, get a big R580 or G2 or something like that ... it'll make all the difference to your game. Your iron play wasn't too bad at OS, it's only off the tee where you need the most help ..... gotta get that drive away down the fairway :wink:

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 01:18 PM
A big head won't correct a hook or a slice. It may reduce the severity of an off-centre hit, but that's about it.

Trouble with most big-headed drivers (for the average hacker) is that they are teamed with 45+ inch ultralight shafts that are too wippy, causing the slice sidespin to be more accentuated. The faster you make a bad swing, the worse the shot.

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 01:19 PM
I'd love to buy one of those snazzy new big headed drivers but I don't know which one to buy. I just don't see enough reviews on them to help make a judgement.
I must remember to ask the checkout shiela at KFC next time I'm there....she what she reckons. :wink:

Why don't you call the Help Desk.... :wink:

Jarro
11th January 2005, 01:22 PM
I must remember to ask the checkout shiela at KFC next time I'm there...

. .so is this the type of tucker the Krispy Kreme freak show people are eating is it :roll:

Kee
11th January 2005, 01:25 PM
Andylo, keep up the reviews and the enthusiasm :smt023 .

If it wasn't for your overflowing enthusiasm, I don't think I'd be enjoying my golf this much. I also wouldn't have wasted so much money hoing :P . But that's beside the point :P .

In terms on andylo loving equiment, I think its just the techie in him. Just talk to him about cars, golf, sound equipment, computers, etc. He just loves the technology details in all of those topics.

I've been playing golf regularly with andylo for quite some time now. And, although I'm not a great judge of golfing ability, he has really come a long way from when we played our first round together. He does hit some very good shots occasionally.

Stick with it andylo. Sooner or later you'll be kicking my butt on the score sheet all the time :P

terryand
11th January 2005, 02:50 PM
will you mongrels stop talking about KFC....

Ya killin me here :smt010

Not good to talk like this in front of a reformed Junk food JUNKIE :smt019

Terry.

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 03:13 PM
Andylo, As I said I was not meaning to be rude or upset anyone. You seem (from my admitedly limited reading of the site) to be constantly fiddling with your equipment which is not only expensive but is likely to confuse your developing game.
On another note I find it extremely difficult to believe even many 5 handicappers can consistently hit the ball well enough to tell the difference between different brands of shaft. Get some lessons. It may not sound as impressive as the Tour Preferred, Fujikura shafted driver in the bag but it will sure as hell lower your handicap faster.

wavemaker
11th January 2005, 03:24 PM
I can relate to the HOing thingy, whilst I haven't done it with golf, you should see my fishing kit. I have more rods, reels and especially lures than I could ever use, and I love 'em all!

AndyP
11th January 2005, 03:29 PM
I can relate to the HOing thingy, whilst I haven't done it with golf, you should see my fishing kit. I have more rods, reels and especially lures than I could ever use, and I love 'em all!
Do you catch fish?
If not, perhaps you would have been wiser to invest your money in some fishing lessons. :mrgreen:

:roll:

terryand
11th January 2005, 03:30 PM

Oh man, I think a fisher-ho has got ot worst than any golf-ho :?

Good luck both your loves :wink:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 03:32 PM
It's always the case though - the KMart $2.50 lure catches more fish than the more expensive ones. Problem wish fishing is that everything is between $2 and $10, not $50-$???? It's a problem because you end up buying 20 times more than what you need.

Besides, do you have a Harrison J Striper rod? I hear that the high kick-point allows you to land fish in the boat much more successfully with the Shimano reels than those stock standard Rex Hunt jobbies.. :roll:

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 03:38 PM
.... On another note I find it extremely difficult to believe even many 5 handicappers can consistently hit the ball well enough to tell the difference between different brands of shaft .....
Chucky, i am an 18 handicapper but i can tell the difference between different shafts, no 2 shafts will play identical but they may play similar. i certainly can tell the difference between a Grafalloy Blue and a Graphite Design YS6 just by hitting a ball with each because the shafts play different so your theory has just been shot to pieces

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 03:43 PM
.... On another note I find it extremely difficult to believe even many 5 handicappers can consistently hit the ball well enough to tell the difference between different brands of shaft .....
Chucky, i am an 18 handicapper but i can tell the difference between different shafts, no 2 shafts will play identical but they may play similar. i certainly can tell the difference between a Grafalloy Blue and a Graphite Design YS6 just by hitting a ball with each because the shafts play different so your theory has just been shot to pieces

Is that before or after the slight tree adjustment?

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 03:46 PM
December 2003, Indooroopilly with Terry, AndyP and Juan :lol:

AndyP
11th January 2005, 03:54 PM
Is that before or after the slight tree adjustment?
:smt044
That really is getting some good mileage.

andylo
11th January 2005, 03:55 PM
See what a long internet downtime can do for me!! 1.5 pages of thread become 4 pages :?

Ok guys... The following is what I am thinking:

Guys from what I have read and re-read again there're 3 type of posts here:

1: Pure encouragment.
2: Given some useful comments
3: Just want to hammer me.

For those who encouraged me in this thread, thanks... you guys always been great to me.

For those who gave me some true advice like nudgee, thanks... from down deep of my heart. (sorry for the long preshot routine, I have been told to do this by my coach, you can ask him... I have changed this already after Hope Island game)

But a few posts to me it purely just want to have a go with me because I am a 27 handicapper!

I don't think I am being sensitive but I want to tell you it's not my fault to being a 27 capper!! I played the game just above an year and I was expected to be a lot better than my current form... but I didn't. But yeah.... too bad!

Chucky, FYI I wasn't meant to put a shaft review post here. It was upon some others request and they want to know what I think. If you reckon my review is not relevent then you can either ignore it or accept it.

And mate, I do spend money on lessons as well. Don't ever question if I got a right coach, he's a good one and recommended by other coaches too.

Fishy 1st thing 1st I never try to defend myself. I just trying to express my feeling here. In fact I am not even trying to say something or some matter is right or wrong. I am just expressing my thought/feeling/experience on some equipment I have used.

I am not making my comment/review of something I used as a standard to follow, nor a guildline. Just want to tell you guys what I feel.

But unfortunately a few posts from the pass are directed to me, not very friendly due to I am a 27 capper.

We seen some golf course discriminate ppl who are bad golfer in terms of skills, and I don't want this to be happen in here as well.

andylo
11th January 2005, 04:01 PM
On a final thought... I really believe there's NOTHING WRONG WITH HOING!

It just like you are/were hanging out different guys and girls until to find the right one.

I have been HOing a lot because I am always trying to find something either I really like or work for me. For now, I am set.

If any of you guys think I am too much concertrate on technical aspect on equipment, and discard the swing mechanic.... it's not the case.

I believe to become a real good golfer nowadays you need to spend time and efforts on techical aspect on both equipments and swing.

But certainly its easier to learn the equipment part of it because its all on the internet. I can't see why a bad golfer cannot talk about lauch angle and tech things like this. I believe not many mechanics in Qantas know how to fly and land a 747!!

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 04:02 PM
..... If you reckon my review is not relevent then you can either ignore it or accept it..... WELL SAID =D>

3oneday
11th January 2005, 04:02 PM
Aloho, hows the putter ???

Pete

:P :P :lol: :lol:

andylo
11th January 2005, 04:04 PM
PMed you about my thought on the putter.

Aloho, hows the putter ???

Pete

:P :P :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 04:08 PM
A-Lo, no one is bashing - and if mud is thrown then it's not expected to stick. If you read some comments and take it personally then that's up to you - no one on this site wants anyone else to play poorly, it's all about the fun of the game. Then there's Blakey vs G69, but that's for those girls to sort out... ;)

But i'll say this - i've seen plenty of advice sent your way from all sorts of sources, and you have completely disregarded it. You thought i was having a crack at you when i said don't fix the R7 and go out and use the 3-wood off the tee, that was sound advice and you thought i was taking the pi$$. I challenge you - leave the driver in the bag for 1 whole round, i bet you don't post a higher score than you are currently.

And finally - don't openly post a challenge and not expect a backlash. But FWIW - i'll give you a handicap of 36, but i want double the odds in a wager :lol:

davidp
11th January 2005, 04:08 PM
A-Lo, has the CrazE gone awol already?? :shock:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 04:11 PM
I believe to become a real good golfer nowadays you need to spend time and efforts on techical aspect on both equipments and swing.

To be a "real good golfer", first you have to be a "good golfer"

But certainly its easier to learn the equipment part of it because its all on the internet. I can't see why a bad golfer cannot talk about lauch angle and tech things like this. I believe not many mechanics in Qantas know how to fly and land a 747!!

But they probably know how to fly a Cessna.

Here we go again... :roll:

terryand
11th January 2005, 04:11 PM
Andylo, As I said I was not meaning to be rude or upset anyone. You seem (from my admitedly limited reading of the site) to be constantly fiddling with your equipment which is not only expensive but is likely to confuse your developing game.
On another note I find it extremely difficult to believe even many 5 handicappers can consistently hit the ball well enough to tell the difference between different brands of shaft. Get some lessons. It may not sound as impressive as the Tour Preferred, Fujikura shafted driver in the bag but it will sure as hell lower your handicap faster.

Big statement Chucky.

I'm a 5 capper(well sometimes :oops: ) and I have 2 drivers (same head)with identical shafts in them and I can feel differences between the two of these clubs.Also other clubs(same heads again) with several different shafts and after awhile you get to know the characteristics of different shafts.

You can get one that feel like a liquorice stick and others feel like a crowbar. You get to know whick ones has high ball flight and low, which one want to fade and draw.

Some feel like they explode off the club face and some feel like they come off like a squash ball .

So there are alot of differences between shafts and there are guys out there no matter what h/cap can feel the difference.

Just because a person might not have the ability to use one shafts characteristics to his advantage, doesn't mean he can't feel it.

Terry.

3oneday
11th January 2005, 04:16 PM
Then again, I have a couple of mates who play off 3 and 4, who use stock Titleist and stock Callaway (the old stock) so it's possibly relative to where you hang out, I guess.

I can tell the diff between an NV and a Striper, but then I'm interested in the differences as well. Know what I mean ??

Pete

davidp
11th January 2005, 04:16 PM

To be a "real good golfer", first you have to be a "good golfer"

Here we go again... :roll:

Keeping the fishing theme going, are you baiting, Fishy ?? :P

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 04:17 PM
Chuckys statements are being shot to pieces quicker than he wrote them :shock:

terryand
11th January 2005, 04:19 PM
Then again, I have a couple of mates who play off 3 and 4, who use stock Titleist and stock Callaway (the old stock) so it's possibly relative to where you hang out, I guess.

I can tell the diff between an NV and a Striper, but then I'm interested in the differences as well. Know what I mean ??

Pete

True Pete.

I think the reason people like you and I want to know the diference is because we don't trust the OEM stated flexes on there shafts....put together for a price not a persons swing.

Terry.

davidp
11th January 2005, 04:24 PM
Chucky, FYI I wasn't meant to put a shaft review post here. It was upon some others request and they want to know what I think. If you reckon my review is not relevent then you can either ignore it or accept it.

Thanks for posting the review Andy. I was curious to see how the Striper J worked in the r7 for you.

I think we're just about done in this thread aren't we?? :wink:

Trung
11th January 2005, 04:25 PM
This thread is making me
http://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gif

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 04:26 PM
I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I honestly wasn’t trying to “hammer” anybody.
990B Luva, if you feel that you can tell the difference fine, I believe you. I just wonder whether you strike the ball consistently enough to know whether it was the swing or the shaft. I play off 9 and many swings feel different because I don’t hit everything off the center.
It seems I’ve stimulated some discussion and I’m sorry if my alternate view doesn’t agree. I’ll pull my head in.

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 04:28 PM
990B Luva, if you feel that you can tell the difference fine, I believe you. I just wonder whether you strike the ball consistently enough to know whether it was the swing or the shaft. I play off 9 and many swings feel different because I don’t hit everything off the center.
It seems I’ve stimulated some discussion and I’m sorry if my alternate view doesn’t agree. I’ll pull my head in.

Don't do that mate - what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, isn't that right guys? ;)

AndyP
11th January 2005, 04:32 PM
It's OK to have an opinion. What you have done is promoted discussion, which is what it is all about.

Maybe use a smiley next time though. :D

andylo
11th January 2005, 04:32 PM

If implying a 747 equal to a great swing than a Cessna is not too great a swing....

I don't do great swing, but a poor swing still make the ball go forward.

By the way, what is your proof that I didn't take the advice from difference sources? I honestly did listen and read carefully on ppl's advice. But you can't fault that some are suitable to my situation and some aren't. I am intellegent enough to know what is suitable and whats not. i.e. nudgee's advice in this thread was good. But for your driver into the bag thing.... well, my driver hit is more accurate than my 3 wood. It gives me more confident.

And for the 36 handicap thingy, How about you come to my home course, give me handicap of 36. If you win I give you double of you yearly wage and if I win you only give me my yearly wage?! ;)

Ona
11th January 2005, 04:33 PM
I have a problem with a bloke who's hacking it around like A-lo and is talking about wonderful things like launch angles, spin rates, smoothness..
He has about as much cred with technology reviews as I have...
...he's quite within his rights to write them down but I will surely take them with a grain of salt.
...but until then, its just babble

G69 thats your opinion and your welcome to it... but why throw it in A-lo's face? poor choice

thanks for the reviw A-lo :D

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 04:36 PM
And for the 36 handicap thingy, How about you come to my home course, give me handicap of 36. If you win I give you double of you yearly wage and if I win you only give me my yearly wage?! ;)

I will pass on that cause if i have a bad day i play shocking, and i dont earn enough to pay your wage

990B Luva
11th January 2005, 04:44 PM
G69 thats your opinion and your welcome to it... but why throw it in A-lo's face? poor choice

thanks for the reviw A-lo :D

I disagree.
Too many people sugar coat it on here.
I don't know what you mean by "throw it in his face". Its a discussion and I gave him my opinion. Isn't that what discussions are about ?
Would you prefer i said what I didn't mean ?
Hell no, then it would be no fun on here, we would have to go back "There"

Ona
11th January 2005, 04:54 PM
oh, I missed the part where andy asked wether or not you value his reviews.. no wait .. HE DIDNT

andylo
11th January 2005, 05:05 PM
A-Lo, has the CrazE gone awol already?? :shock:

Sorry dave... didn't read it in 1st place :(

No, it still a keeper.... there's some stupid issue here.... I PMed you about it.

Ona
11th January 2005, 05:15 PM
Bloke 'A' posts a review, bloke 'B' tells him that his reviews arent worth shit.

Now bloke B thinks that this was the perfect place to air his views, and that noone could have gone on unless he made them clear.. certainly just ignoring said review was never an option.

No, bloke B isn't Derrin Hinch :roll:

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 05:24 PM

:lol: :lol:

Nice one - but i live in Sydney. Sadly i don't bet more than i can afford. Under $5 preferably, 20c skinners in larger groups ;) Perhaps a Keno ticket.

When you bet too much, you lose the fun in golf. The hardest battle i won on holidays was at Ballina, seperating an 88 year old from 70c in skins, but he had a better 18 hole score so he got back 20c of that.

But you're on for my next visit to Brisbane - which isn't soon 8)

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 05:28 PM
Now bloke B thinks that this was the perfect place to air his views, and that noone could have gone on unless he made them clear.. certainly just ignoring said review was never an option.

I think there are a few "Bloke B"'s, and perhaps the odd "Sheila B" - but the guy came up with a point and no need to bollocks him for it. At least he had the guts to speak up - doesn't make him a kitten murderer.

Besides, who posts stuff here they aren't asking for opinion? Why not just write it on paper and stuff it in the draw?

andylo
11th January 2005, 05:33 PM
Fine ;)

I thought I can retire for an year and work on my golf only for those 365 days.... too bad ;)

Nice one - but i live in Sydney. Sadly i don't bet more than i can afford. Under $5 preferably, 20c skinners in larger groups ;) Perhaps a Keno ticket.

When you bet too much, you lose the fun in golf. The hardest battle i won on holidays was at Ballina, seperating an 88 year old from 70c in skins, but he had a better 18 hole score so he got back 20c of that.

But you're on for my next visit to Brisbane - which isn't soon 8)

Ona
11th January 2005, 05:41 PM
a guy writes an equipment review, what kind of negative feedback could be expected, and accepted? The format of the review? Sure. Content? Probably.

The value of his review? No. If someone feels his opinion has little value, there is no need to point it out. It would be rude in person, and the internet does nothing to change the fact. It's a shame some of you cant see that.

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 06:00 PM
Whoa! I have followed this site for a while and only posted a couple of times. Perhaps I have got off on the wrong foot. I did not wish to rubbish anybody I just think it is a big call for such high handicappers/beginners to be analysing premium shafts.
As I said I have followed this site and another one for a while and only decided to post again after a guy in our group was talking about it on Saturday (I think he posts on both). He told me this site is the best one because it is friendly and the other one is okay but gets a bit abusive/opinionated at times.
Surely disagreeing or questioning an opinion is not abuse. Is this The Stepford Wives of forum sites?
Sheesh
:oops: :roll:

terryand
11th January 2005, 06:14 PM
Chuckys statements are being shot to pieces quicker than he wrote them :shock:

Brett it shouldn't be the aim of anyone to shoot down a members post [-X

I replied to Chucky's post because having hit so may types of shafts, I believe I was in a position to comment on the subject.

For someone like Chucky who might not have had the same opportunity that I to try several different shafts, he might not know the differences you can feel.

So pull ya head in young fella and don't be so ckeeky :smt016

Terry.

Onewood
11th January 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm with chucky, and not just because of my anti-ho stance.
"I think blokes like tez and 3oneday are in the minority. You bloke can certainly pick up subtle differences, and can nudgee and a few others on here no doubt." Mainly because you experiment with a lot of the stuff and hit a pretty consistant ball to assist your judgement.
Whilst Alo studies up and tries a lot of the gear his inconsistant ball striking would surely blur his analysis.

Golfer69, hows your foot :roll: coz I think you shot yourself in the foot here :D

:roll: Now some blokes are OK to tell the differance :roll:

A couple of main players say something and your on the back foot [-X

What do you think Andy-HO does.....buy all this gear and look at it :roll:

Give the boy some credit :D

On a side note:
Tezza could you please get rid of that ball/snake thing [-o< It makes all the pages you post in way too wide for my screen...
Thanks Mate 8)

Onewood
11th January 2005, 06:32 PM
Chucky, I think what you asked, was a fair question and a question that would be asked under the breath of a lot more......Andly-lo has a great passion for the game and equipment and has tried a lot of equipment.

So for one I believe you've done nothing wrong by asking the question.

Ona
11th January 2005, 06:44 PM
for what its worth, I dont mind chucky's posts too much. It was clear what he thought but he didnt shove it in Andy's face. Tact.

goughy
11th January 2005, 06:46 PM
Hey guys.

Not a bad debate for a day, but I think the discussion needs to be zippered up. Part of the beauty of us is that we do have our own opinions and thoughts and can express them. Whether anyone wants to listen or take notice of them is up to the individual.

I'll leave the thread open in case it gets back on topic. :shock:

Onewood
11th January 2005, 06:49 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks goughy, for not locking this one 8)

I don't think anyone has been hirt over any of this....(I hope not anyway)

BrisVegas
11th January 2005, 06:56 PM
Group Hug ??? :smt056

terryand
11th January 2005, 06:57 PM
Hey guys.

Not a bad debate for a day, but I think the discussion needs to be zippered up. Part of the beauty of us is that we do have our own opinions and thoughts and can express them. Whether anyone wants to listen or take notice of them is up to the individual.

Come on Goughy, no need to flex your muscles here =;

Sure it has been heated,but no one has over stepped the line :smt102

We're all grown men here(well almost all of us), to know where the line is :smt023

Terry.

3oneday
11th January 2005, 07:17 PM
1stly the Accuflex C.A.S. then the Striper J. :(firstly, what have you done with my bloody shaft ?!?!?!? :lol:

I too found the kick on the Striper to be better than the NV, haven't put it up against a Blue yet, but will do so in the next day or three.

Did you get it trimmed ??? I can't even see what sort of shaft it is ?? is it reg/firm or stiff/x ??? I got a reg/firm, and tip trimmed it an inch, this I believe makes it firm, then cut the driver so total length was 44.5 (ish).

It is a beast, another ho we know will be demoing one real soon, next week I think :roll: :roll: 8) :P .

Pete

Ona
11th January 2005, 07:30 PM
accra and accuflex are two different companies right?

terryand
11th January 2005, 08:01 PM
accra and accuflex are two different companies right?

yep, Accra is from UST.

Terry.

Onewood
11th January 2005, 08:03 PM
On a side note:
Tezza could you please get rid of that ball/snake thing [-o< It makes all the pages you post in way too wide for my screen...
Thanks Mate 8)

Thank you Tezza, thats better 8)

goughy
11th January 2005, 08:06 PM

We're all grown men here(well almost all of us), to know where the line is :smt023

Terry.

You're right terry. It was more so a nudge to make sure it dosen't step over the line. And you've seen my muscles, and they make a pretty punny attempt at flexing :oops:

terryand
11th January 2005, 08:13 PM

Terry.

You're right terry. It was more so a nudge to make sure it dosen't step over the line. And you've seen my muscles, and they make a pretty punny attempt at flexing :oops:

I did have a chuckle to myself :smt081

Well not really.....I almost fell off my chair :smt046 :smt047

Terry.

davidp
11th January 2005, 08:26 PM
1stly the Accuflex C.A.S. then the Striper J. :(firstly, what have you done with my bloody shaft ?!?!?!? :lol:

Did you get it trimmed ??? I can't even see what sort of shaft it is ?? is it reg/firm or stiff/x ??? I got a reg/firm, and tip trimmed it an inch, this I believe makes it firm, then cut the driver so total length was 44.5 (ish).

It is a beast, another ho we know will be demoing one real soon, next week I think :roll: :roll: 8) :P .

Pete

Pete, I think I can answer this one. It's an untipped stiff and plays to 45" in a 1.5" bore. I don't think Andy got it tipped.

Fishman Dan
11th January 2005, 08:47 PM
What's a "shaft"?

markTHEblake
11th January 2005, 09:07 PM
Blimey!. I see i didnt miss much today......

Eag's
11th January 2005, 09:39 PM
Well bugger me :shock: get home from dinner and find 9 pages of debate going on....good to see :wink:

Andylo, keep reviewing clubs if it makes you happy. I personaly enjoy reading your reviews because I know just how much you love this mad game of ours 8)

After all, it is only your opinon, and people will ultimately make up their own minds when it comes to purchasing new gear. It is a public forum therefore not all people will agree with you, but that is life mate.

Like others have said though, I feel you may be paying attention to the wrong part of your game. Yes you can belt your driver (I have seen it) but you yourself have said "I 3 & 4 putt most greens" How bout just for 1 month you spend 80% of your spare time working on your putting and chipping?? I promise you it will make a huge difference to your game mate :smt045

I am doing just that, and already I am feeling more confident each time I hit the course. If you asked any top profesional what part of their game do they spend the most time, without question it will be the short game.

Also, if your coach is telling you to take that long over the ball :smt017 then it is time to change coaches. I am going to Northlakes myself tomorrow to have a lesson with Nick Tonga. If he is any good, then I will send you his contact details.

Keep enjoying the game the way you are mate it is quite contagious :D

andylo
11th January 2005, 10:27 PM

I too found the kick on the Striper to be better than the NV, haven't put it up against a Blue yet, but will do so in the next day or three.

Pete

Are you talking base the C.A.S.?? No I didn't get it trimmed. It's a stiff flex as it suggested and its already got 250cpm :p So I didn't trim it.

3oneday
11th January 2005, 11:09 PM
Are you talking base the C.A.S.?? No I didn't get it trimmed. It's a stiff flex as it suggested and its already got 250cpm :p So I didn't trim it.Aloho, your post was about the Striper J, why would I type anything about something that is unrelated ?!?!?!?!? :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll:

andylo
11th January 2005, 11:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you talking base the C.A.S.?? No I didn't get it trimmed. It's a stiff flex as it suggested and its already got 250cpm :p So I didn't trim it.Aloho, your post was about the Striper J, why would I type anything about something that is unrelated ?!?!?!?!? :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll:

Anonymous
12th January 2005, 06:38 AM
Terry said,

Big statement Chucky.

I'm a 5 capper(well sometimes ) and I have 2 drivers (same head)with identical shafts in them and I can feel differences between the two of these clubs.Also other clubs(same heads again) with several different shafts and after awhile you get to know the characteristics of different shafts.

Just because a person might not have the ability to use one shafts characteristics to his advantage, doesn't mean he can't feel it.
I totally agree with you Terry but I'm confused about the bit in bold. How can you tell differences if they are the same head and the same shaft?
I guess what I was trying to say was that the reason most people have high handicaps is because of their inconsistent ball striking and if you are striking the ball inconsistently it places a cap on your ability to tell whether it was the swing, shaft, clubhead or even quality of range ball that caused a particular feel, flighpath etc. That's all.
Anyway it was a good discussion and I hope to stick around and post more.

3oneday
12th January 2005, 06:52 AM
Chucky,

Mate, if you prompt 9 pages everytime you post, get stuck in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

terryand
12th January 2005, 07:44 AM
Terry said,

Big statement Chucky.

I'm a 5 capper(well sometimes ) and I have 2 drivers (same head)with identical shafts in them and I can feel differences between the two of these clubs.Also other clubs(same heads again) with several different shafts and after awhile you get to know the characteristics of different shafts.

I totally agree with you Terry but I'm confused about the bit in bold. How can you tell differences if they are the same head and the same shaft?
I guess what I was trying to say was that the reason most people have high handicaps is because of their inconsistent ball striking and if you are striking the ball inconsistently it places a cap on your ability to tell whether it was the swing, shaft, clubhead or even quality of range ball that caused a particular feel, flighpath etc. That's all.
Anyway it was a good discussion and I hope to stick around and post more.

Sorry Chucky, I should have said, same head different loft..

Yep hard to believe but true,I have a 7* Nemy with graf Blue in it that gies great but feels very boardy or unresponsive and it goes great,hit it pretty straight or with a slight fade, hard to turn over.

The other is a 9* Nemy with Graf Blue in it,CPM's are within 1 or 2 of each other and this one feels a whole lot more responsive than the 7*.

With the 7* it almost feels like you have miss hit it, But this is not the case as it is the longer of the 2 drivers.

Hard to explain Chucky, but I hope the mud is a shade clearer or murkier :wink:

Terry.

markTHEblake
12th January 2005, 08:29 AM
I guess what I was trying to say was that the reason most people have high handicaps is because of their inconsistent ball striking and if you are striking the ball inconsistently it places a cap on your ability to tell whether it was the swing, shaft, clubhead or even quality of range ball that caused a particular feel, flighpath etc.

Complete bollocks. Different spec shafts in particular feel different - thats absolute.

Henry Griffits use fitting stations with heaps of different shafts, one of the key components with the assessment is 'how did that one feel'. I havent yet heard Henry say that their solution only suits golfers with a handicap of 4 or less.

Onewood
12th January 2005, 08:44 AM
OK I'm back.
How the hell did this topic get back onto shafts ? :?

It's OK blakey has just thrown it back off track :roll: :D

nudgee
12th January 2005, 11:41 AM
Holy mother of God - go Andy go!!! This has to be one of the most spirited debates on this forum :D .

How did a shaft review topic turn into a hoiing debate??

As you all know I am dead against hoiing. The regular purchase of new equipment is a futile exercise in improving one's game (oh crap I havent updated my signature since last Monday) :wink: :wink:

Let the flood gates open.

amanda
12th January 2005, 12:47 PM
[quote=goughy]We're all grown men here(well almost all of us)
:shock: I hope you didn't mean GG, FG and I Tez :wink:

A-lo - interesting review. Different shafts suit different people/swings - good to hear you've found something you like :D I've found that confidence in your equipment always helps (only a little in my case given my current shocking form :lol: )

terryand
12th January 2005, 12:50 PM
[quote=goughy]We're all grown men here(well almost all of us)
:shock: I hope you didn't mean GG, FG and I Tez :wink:

A-lo - interesting review. Different shafts suit different people/swings - good to hear you've found something you like :D I've found that confidence in your equipment always helps (only a little in my case given my current shocking form :lol: )

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry...

I guess at that stage none of you had enter the debate :?

We all growd ups here :wink:

Terry.

amanda
12th January 2005, 12:55 PM

Terry.
No worries - everything's cool - I read Andy's post before it moved onto more than 1 page - and figured nothing interesting could have been spouted in 8 pages - until I had a read :wink:

By the way - is your shed/launch monitor set up yet? I've been very lazy and haven't done ours (well - net, mat without the launchy)

terryand
12th January 2005, 01:11 PM

Terry.
No worries - everything's cool - I read Andy's post before it moved onto more than 1 page - and figured nothing interesting could have been spouted in 8 pages - until I had a read :wink:

By the way - is your shed/launch monitor set up yet? I've been very lazy and haven't done ours (well - net, mat without the launchy)

Shed is 90% done,Just waiting for my chippy mate to come and help me with the last of the cladding.

Roof has been on for about 3 months now.It filled up pretty quick after that point.Slowly been building shelves and work benches in it.

Can't rush these things.

Terry.

terryand
12th January 2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry to act as threadjack police Tez, but what in gods name does a shed have to do with a Harrigan or Stiffler shaft review ?
Please keep it on topic son ! :roll:

Pull ya head in and go and draw some lines on a bit of paper :smt098

I was asked a question and answered it, so if you gat a problem with that.TUFF :smt062

Terry.

Choppa
12th January 2005, 01:28 PM
Just had to add a post to this topic as it's going to go down in history as the most interesting one yet and I didn't want to be left out. 8)

Can't say anything about the topic though I'm afraid, I only play off 17 :wink:

terryand
12th January 2005, 01:31 PM
Pull ya head in and go and draw some lines on a bit of paper :smt098

Ok I will.
And just for that outburst I'm going to make sure all the trouble is up the left side to catch that gay left handed fade you hit. :smt075

That OK, I'll make sure I take a driver to that course with a Striper J in it so I can turn it over at will :smt016

Easy fixed :smt038

Terry.

amanda
12th January 2005, 01:31 PM
my apologies g69 about the threadjack - can I get forgiveness? [-o< ;)

Jarro
12th January 2005, 01:34 PM
Tezza,

. do you want me to use my moderating powers to sort this bozzo out :?:

or have you got him covered :wink:

terryand
12th January 2005, 01:36 PM
Tezza,

. do you want me to use my moderating powers to sort this bozzo out :?:

or have you got him covered :wink:

Nah, He's got nuthin :wink: :smt043

Terry.

terryand
12th January 2005, 01:46 PM
Was talking to goughy the other day and I am being considered for "moderator" duties.
If it was up to me you'd all be on double secret probation.

As my 4yo would say...

Yeah,Yeah, Whatever

Terry.

Trung
12th January 2005, 01:53 PM
moderating powers :?:

puff puff... go make yourself another coffee... Your power is making me http://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gif

Anonymous
12th January 2005, 02:08 PM
Terryand

Hard to explain Chucky, but I hope the mud is a shade clearer or murkier
No worries, consider it clarified.
Amanda

I've found that confidence in your equipment always helps
It's hard to get confidence in your equipment if you keep changing it though :wink:
MarkTheblake

Complete bollocks. Different spec shafts in particular feel different - thats absolute.

Henry Griffits use fitting stations with heaps of different shafts, one of the key components with the assessment is 'how did that one feel'. I havent yet heard Henry say that their solution only suits golfers with a handicap of 4 or less.
I'm not saying there is no difference, I'm saying that, IMO, that your average club player can't with all honesty tell that much of a difference. Sure there is a difference between an xstiff and a regular. But I think that if you put 4 different brands of regular shaft in the same driver the average player wouldn't detect significant difference. It would make an interesting article for one of the golf magazines to do but I doubt the answers would be dripping with honesty. Golfers, being as they are, will usually state their $200 shaft feels much nicer because they are embarrassed to admit otherwise. 2 weeks later they've changed it for the $300 version. :oops:
Of course HG don't make that claim, it would not be too good for sales.

Jarro
12th January 2005, 02:13 PM
moderating powers :?:

puff puff... go make yourself another coffee... Your power is making me http://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gifhttp://www.pug-cc.com/phpbb/images/smiles/rofl.gif

don't push me Trungo :smt018

amanda
12th January 2005, 02:16 PM
It's hard to get confidence in your equipment if you keep changing it though :wink:
I suppose it all depends on how an individual derives confidence in an item (could be anything) - it can come from the "promised performance" of a new item (e.g. I had confidence in my new car before I actually got it) or from consistent use of a trusty old faithful (e.g. my old crappy but dependable 9 wood).

OK - I'll stop being a teacher/nerd now :oops: :oops: :oops:

Trung
12th January 2005, 02:20 PM
Trung-> :smt075 <-Moderator

:smt016

3oneday
12th January 2005, 03:35 PM
I'm not saying there is no difference, I'm saying that, IMO, that your average club player can't with all honesty tell that much of a difference. Sure there is a difference between an xstiff and a regular. But I think that if you put 4 different brands of regular shaft in the same driver the average player wouldn't detect significant difference. It would make an interesting article for one of the golf magazines to do but I doubt the answers would be dripping with honesty. Golfers, being as they are, will usually state their $200 shaft feels much nicer because they are embarrassed to admit otherwise. 2 weeks later they've changed it for the $300 version. :oops:
Of course HG don't make that claim, it would not be too good for sales.nice one Chucky, just when I thought this was dying off, off you go again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have this theory, if all shafts were black, and they had no graphics on them at all.... mmmm, I reckon it would be harder than the Pepsi and Coke test...... I remember Ross from GCI showing me his "Book of Shafts", frequencies etc, over 3000 shafts in it, be a bloody hard exercise, then it gets down to, well I like the feel or response of that one etcetc....

Pete :wink:

990B Luva
12th January 2005, 03:46 PM
Of course HG don't make that claim, it would not be too good for sales.nice one Chucky, just when I thought this was dying off, off you go again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have this theory, if all shafts were black, and they had no graphics on them at all.... mmmm, I reckon it would be harder than the Pepsi and Coke test...... I remember Ross from GCI showing me his "Book of Shafts", frequencies etc, over 3000 shafts in it, be a bloody hard exercise, then it gets down to, well I like the feel or response of that one etcetc....

Pespi tastes like shit, Coke all the way

terryand
12th January 2005, 03:54 PM

Oh Pete. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Take a bow..http://www.justsaywow.com/IMAGES/smileys/bowing.gif...

Terry.

markTHEblake
12th January 2005, 07:15 PM
But I think that if you put 4 different brands of regular shaft in the same driver the average player wouldn't detect significant difference.

Now your stating the bleeding obvious, dont have to be Einstein to work that out. If there is no significant difference betweeen the shafts then of course not - but you never said that.

How did you know that the Shafts AndyLo tried out were all exactly the same?

It would make an interesting article for one of the golf magazines to do but I doubt the answers would be dripping with honesty.

thats why they do blind tests.

AndyP
12th January 2005, 07:25 PM
It would make an interesting article for one of the golf magazines to do but I doubt the answers would be dripping with honesty.

thats why they do blind tests.
If some of these guys can't handle a review by Andylo, how are they going to handle one from a blind person. :shock:

Anonymous
12th January 2005, 08:52 PM
MarkTheblake you said,

I didn't, he said,

1stly the Accuflex C.A.S. then the Striper J. I like the Striper J more and the following is my review.
It seems on this website everyone must agree with the chosen few or be condemned. You markTheblake are good enough to have your own website proclaiming your scores and achievements, I just wanted to discuss/debate in good manners golf issues.
I'm sorry I bothered you all. :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:

davidp
12th January 2005, 10:17 PM
MarkTheblake you said,

I didn't, he said,

1stly the Accuflex C.A.S. then the Striper J. I like the Striper J more and the following is my review.
It seems on this website everyone must agree with the chosen few or be condemned. You markTheblake are good enough to have your own website proclaiming your scores and achievements, I just wanted to discuss/debate in good manners golf issues.
I'm sorry I bothered you all. :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:

Geez, Chucky. Stick around. We need different opinions on this board. Even g13's (or is it g69??). :P

Fwiw, I've owned 10 drivers in the past 2 years (about 25% of Pete's tally) all with different shafts. I play off 22 and can definitely tell the difference between the shafts. I don't go for the most expensive shaft, but the shaft that best fits me and my evolving swing. And I'm also a cheap S.O.B., so I also look for value.

Btw, I'm now down to one driver and I'm very happy with it. :)

markTHEblake
12th January 2005, 11:33 PM
I just wanted to discuss/debate in good manners golf issues.

thats great, (and so does AndyLo) but therein lies the issue - you got personal.

nevermind everyone triples the first hole once in a while, its very easy to bounce back

McMw
13th January 2005, 12:35 AM
just got back into the forum scene....what the hell happened??? 11 pages after only 2 days???

so, did I miss anything good/imformative??? :lol:

3oneday
13th January 2005, 04:33 AM
Fwiw, I've owned 10 drivers in the past 2 years (about 25% of Pete's tally) all with different shafts.play nicely DP :P

990B Luva
13th January 2005, 01:06 PM
just got back into the forum scene....what the hell happened??? 11 pages after only 2 days???

so, did I miss anything good/imformative??? :lol:

Not really just a spiried debate :lol: