PDA

View Full Version : Ross Watson GC Architects

AndyP
20th May 2004, 03:21 AM
First time, I have visited the Ross Watson website. Sorry, g69. Shame on me. :oops:

If you look at the list of courses they have worked on, I am sure you will find courses there that you have played or are near you.

I noticed that they are planning and developing 27 holes for Warrnambool Resort.
I am intrigued, because I was born in Windy Warrnambool, and can't see why you would want to put a resort there, assuming it is a new resort.
For those who don't know, Warrnambool is 260km SW from Melbourne along the Princes Highway.

Can anyone provide any information on this, in particular, g69? Will you be making use of the antarctic winds in the design?

Fishman Dan
20th May 2004, 09:13 AM
On that note, is RW doing any more work @ Gordon GC in Sydney? I think he did work on a couple of holes a number of years ago, as well as re-number the hole order. Someone has been digging up the tee area on the 7th, which is the Index 1 hole. A long par 4 which bends to the right. They've only recently redone the tees which added about 15-20 metres, but there's even more earth-moving going on with what looks to another tee area being constructed?!

I guess it's for these reasons the course fees are so high for crap Sydney clubs - they don't only do some course reno's, but redo them within 5 years. :roll:

Isn't Warrnambool the official and geographical home of the Bogan? Can't imagine what a resort there would be like... concierge wearing flannelette with mullets?

Fishman Dan
20th May 2004, 09:56 AM
Fish...nothing happening at Gordon for us.

Currently in Sydney we are doing stuff at Bonnie Doon, Pymble, Eastlakes, and a couple of new courses up at Wyong and North Entrance.
The Gong are waiting on approvals for some new work too.

Like i've said before, Gordon is on your website so not sure what you've done to the place, but the 16th (par 3) is a stand-out hole and very different from all the others. Recently there was work done to the tees on the 7th, and there's talk that they're going to excavate and put in a new lake - which would be gutsy seeing as though we're nearly on permanent water restrictions now...

Golfgirl
20th May 2004, 04:34 PM
The new Pacific Harbour Golf Course is now under construction and should be a little gem. If anyone is interested later in the year, we could play an Ozgolf game at the old Bribie course and get a tour of the construction site at PH if anyone is interested.

I'm sure that hubby will be interested enough to try and schedule a trip back later in the year... I'll come too - I like Bribie Island - nice course. :D

CobraSS
20th May 2004, 06:54 PM
The new Pacific Harbour Golf Course is now under construction and should be a little gem. If anyone is interested later in the year, we could play an Ozgolf game at the old Bribie course and get a tour of the construction site at PH if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested in this, as long as it happens before it gets to hot.

Onewood
20th May 2004, 07:04 PM
ofcourse I'm in :wink:

990B Luva
20th May 2004, 07:12 PM
me too

Jarro
20th May 2004, 07:19 PM
i'll be in that too :D

how many can you swing golfer69 :?:

Jarro
20th May 2004, 07:40 PM
sounds great :D

when were you planning on doing this :?:

Jarro
20th May 2004, 08:04 PM
i'll be there with bells on :D

jaster
20th May 2004, 08:09 PM
Well count me in also :P

BrisVegas
20th May 2004, 08:37 PM
count me in too G69. 8)

markTHEblake
20th May 2004, 09:34 PM
I will be in too, and you will have to pick me up cos i dont have a car.

terryand
20th May 2004, 09:42 PM
Hey G69,very good of you to offer this chance for us 8)

And if your pickin Blakey up how bout you grt a bus and pick us all up on the way :lol:

Terry.

AndyP
20th May 2004, 10:59 PM
Oi, this isn't a OzGolf day thread. :evil: BTW, sounds good if I am available. :wink:

So, what happened with the Warrnambool Resort? Did your deal fall through? Or the whole resort/golf course plan has been scrapped?

AndyP
18th June 2004, 08:57 AM
g69, I didn't realise that Troon would be managing Pacific Harbour. I just received an email from Troon that mentioned the course.

Jarro
18th June 2004, 05:56 PM
so if Troon is running the show we can expect to pay $100 + per round :(

Eag's
18th June 2004, 06:05 PM
Yep I would be keen as well :wink:

Onewood
18th June 2004, 07:24 PM
Got an e-mail from troon today, "play brookwater for $75 and recieve a free brookwater cap" must be quiet out there :D

Jarro
18th June 2004, 07:33 PM
Got an e-mail from troon today, "play brookwater for $75 and recieve a free brookwater cap" must be quiet out there :D

well what are we waiting for, lets go play 8)

JJJ
24th June 2004, 11:38 PM
G69,

What was the site at Warrnambool like? There's some pretty sensational dunes down past Port Fairy and from memory Warrnambool has a decent track, they held a tournament down there at one stage (Vic Open?)

JJ

AndyP
25th June 2004, 07:41 AM
They did hold the Vic Open there, JJJ. I remember from when I lived there, but unfortunately I never went, because I wasn't in to golf back then. And I was pretty young.

g69, is too busy putting smart-ass posts in other threads to answer serious questions here. :roll: :P

cazandpaul
28th June 2004, 10:34 AM
Caz and I are interested - first 3 Sundays in August fit my roster.

Paul :)

CobraSS
29th June 2004, 06:13 PM
One week earlier or later than those two dates would be best for me I got Club Champs those two weekends.

AndyP
29th June 2004, 11:37 PM
My club champs are the two weekends before the proposed weekends, so I am happy with the proposed dates at this stage. 8)

Golfgirl
30th June 2004, 04:23 PM
No pressure, they will be building this thing for the next 12-18 months so there's no great hurry. Anticipated opening for the course is Dec 2005.

Keep me updated, please, G69.... I need to return to sunny Qld desperately..... [-o<

Golfgirl
4th July 2004, 12:16 PM
GG

Troon look like they will be managing the place...I would be getting sweet with those blokes. 8)

Yeah - think I will start the cosying process shortly..... do you know if Mark Holland is still the Troon bloke based in Brissy?? :?

Grunt
3rd May 2007, 08:14 AM
Thought I might rebirth this thread.
G69, what courses are in stages of renos or construction nowadays? I know you have a few in Sydney at the moment, Wallacia & Bayview. How many courses are you guys working on at the moment?

AndyP
3rd May 2007, 08:27 AM
Has work on City GC finished?

AndyP
3rd May 2007, 08:47 AM
A mate of mine, who grew up in Toowoomba but now lives in Japan, is playing the course for the first time in ages tomorrow. I've given him some warning about a couple of the changes, but it will be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Moe Norman
3rd May 2007, 08:54 AM
Indooroopilly?

Although word on the street is that the Mirvac deal aint going ahead.

dc68
3rd May 2007, 09:07 AM
g69, is too busy putting smart-ass posts in other threads to answer serious questions here. :roll: :P

Does anything change around here?

markTHEblake
3rd May 2007, 09:55 AM
So in other words, not a lot happening, thats why you got so much time for forums( in particular psychological counselling), the tab, and 'networking'

Moe Norman
3rd May 2007, 10:13 AM
Ross just buolt 3 new holes Yes, I went and had a look the other day. 14 would be good if it weren't for the stupid green and 15 looks like the gobi desert. 16 is no better or worse, just a bit longer.

goughy
3rd May 2007, 10:38 AM
A mate of mine, who grew up in Toowoomba but now lives in Japan, is playing the course for the first time in ages tomorrow. I've given him some warning about a couple of the changes, but it will be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Do you know how long it's been since he played it? I'd be very interested in his thoughts too.

glen
3rd May 2007, 03:35 PM
golfer69, i assume you work with ross watson? I am a member at singleton,can you fill me in on where that development is up to as our committee are all ex ASIO agents and as members of the club we dont have the security levels needed to be kept up to date. thanks

Fishman Dan
3rd May 2007, 04:28 PM
Was that a proverbial can of worms I heard being opened?

Grunt
22nd May 2008, 07:42 AM
I am going out to Wallacia for a hit today, will see where the course is at. I have not played out there for some time. Looking at Google Earth there seems to a fair bit of work going on, not sure how old the image is though.

Grunt
22nd May 2008, 02:18 PM
Played out a Wallacia this morning.
What can I say the new holes are sensational. One thing I did notice though was, the new greens were like concrete. The 14th was playing at 135m today, I hit 8i to the heart of the green only to see it bounce 2 m in the air and over the back of the green. Bunkers on the Par 5 13th are good too, that hole is a nice par 5, bigger hitters might be able to try and get on the green but they have to find a way though the bunkers to the green.
The other New hole currently under construction looks awesome, green is in and fairways laid. How long before this is in play Rich? this summer?

Moe Norman
22nd May 2008, 10:13 PM
new greens will often play like that, especially if the entire complex is new and they are using a surface like tiff eagle (although I doubt thats the grass used in Sydney)

BrettM
25th May 2008, 10:01 AM
Can you post some pictures of the new No. 9 at Brisbane GC?

Cheers.

Grunt
25th May 2008, 10:09 AM
13th & 14th were the hard greens. The new par 4 has the older members on where to hit the ball. They did say that their approach would be the bail out area to the Left of the green. They were all worried they would never get out of the bunkers below the green. When I mean get out, I mean the person, not the ball;).

Have to agree on the site the new holes are great, is weird going from a green about 4m x 5m to a 20m x 15m though.

Moe Norman
25th May 2008, 01:03 PM
Can you post some pictures of the new No. 9 at Brisbane GC?

Cheers.
It's not in play yet.

The fairway is taking FOREVER to get grass coverage

BrettM
25th May 2008, 05:45 PM
Strange, it should only take around 10 weeks.

Moe Norman
25th May 2008, 07:09 PM
I had a look yesterday, the tee, green and green surrounds all appear ready for golf and have done for some time.

The fairway appears to have gone backwards

Jarro
26th May 2008, 05:21 AM
So Dick, you got the Nudgee gig yet ? What's the goss ??

Jarro
26th May 2008, 12:38 PM
All quiet there.
Four architects have bidded (Clayts not one of them Moe) and all four earmarked the use of the flat land over the back of the driving range.
Main roads are still working out where their roads and bridges are going so hope to get an interview in a few weeks.
The club has already started working out how to get that additional land off council.

Cheers. Good to hear it's slowly being worked out. A lot of members are getting impatient about wht the hell is going on !

You reckon there is enough dirt behind the range to squeeze in the required number of holes ?

Andrew
26th May 2008, 02:20 PM
Its going to be a pretty tricky engineering feat though with lots of important flood storage issues and enviro stuff to contend with.
Lots of lakes with reeds in them.

PeteyD
26th May 2008, 02:23 PM
Extend the bog of Eternal Stench!

Jarro
26th May 2008, 02:42 PM
We can fit 9 new holes up in that space.
Its going to be a pretty tricky engineering feat though with lots of important flood storage issues and enviro stuff to contend with.

There isn't any mangroves over there is there ?

I would've thought it would've been a case of just firing up the dozers and away we go !!

Jarro
26th May 2008, 02:51 PM
But you aren't going left of that hole (11) are you ?

I thought it was more to the other side of the driving range but not as far down as the 11th ??

PeteyD
26th May 2008, 02:58 PM
How can an open sewer be fragile? Stupid government.

Grunt
26th June 2008, 05:07 PM
Hey G69, Played out at wallacia today. The new hole not in play yet, the green looked awful. Looked as if it had weed/other grass growing in it. When is this going to be in play. Do you know which hole will be dropped off?

Members asked if any more work has been approved.

leighthebee
26th June 2008, 07:18 PM
We can fit 9 new holes up in that space.

Sh*t really?! :mrgreen:

I would have thought flat swamp would be perfect for flood storage. :lol: