PDA

View Full Version : Amanda's holiday report

amanda
10th January 2005, 10:38 AM
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great NY. We went to Brad's sisters place - the guys were very drunk and started on SingStar on the PS2 - hilarious!

We got home at 2am, slept until 4.30am. Strangely enough - when Brad awoke, he was still drunk! It made travelling with him very trying - except when he fell asleep!

A very tiring plane trip to Mackay and a very touchy 1.5 hour boat trip to Brampton Island. My 2 hours of sleep made the trip very slow - every time I tried to sleep on the boat, I felt seasick :(

We spent a week there and this place rocks! All meals are included - so you imitate cattle for a week - turn up for brekkie, lunch and dinner at the appointed times. The food was fantastic - and there was always heaps. They had to weigh me for the helicopter ride back to Mackay - and the scales said 44.6 \:D/ Now I just have to keep the weight on :D

There was a golf course - a 6 hole pitch and putt - greens were just shortly mown fairway grass and as hard as concrete - we played 1 game and absolutely sucked! I have some pictures somewhere I'll try and post.

Did heaps of new things - learned to sail a small catamaran - that was heaps of fun and we sailed every day there was wind! Also snorkelled for the first time ever - so many amazing fish & coral - Brad said he could hear my giggling and amazement under the water :lol: The water was also super warm - around 28C - you couldn't cool off in the ocean!

We also tried archery - I was pretty average - but Brad was a gun - bullseye after his first few arrows, then he was shooting (& hitting) coconuts. Amazing stuff.

It was a National Park so we also did heaps of walks (2km to 10km) stopping at secluded beaches for swims & snorkelling.

I was glad to be home on Saturday night - but surprised by the cool weather - we had 32-35C days up there - sunny with a light breeze - medium humidity.

This is a spot I definitely recommend - a bit pricey (it was $3000 for the week for 2 of us, incl transfers to the island but excluding airfars, + $300 in drinks over the week) but worthwhile for a special occasion. Looks to be targeted to couples - we met about 20 honeymooning couples and saw only 1 family.

Thanks if you read this far! :lol:

Jarro
10th January 2005, 10:51 AM
great report Amanda. glad you and Brad had a good time up there, i've heard nothing but good reports about it 8)

.. sounds like all they need up there is a decent golf-course and it'd be the perfect holiday destination :wink:

AndyP
10th January 2005, 10:51 AM
Sounds like you had a great time, mandy.

Looks to be targeted to couples - we met about 20 honeymooning couples and saw only 1 family.
I guess this counts me out.

amanda
10th January 2005, 11:50 AM
jarro - it was strange but we didn't have golf withdrawl at all :shock: maybe I'm not as addicted as I thought :wink:

AndyP - the manager said that around school holidays there were a lot more families, but Xmas & NY tended to be couples as families stayed close to home and relatives.

There is no kids club or other kids activities - so they'd need to be old enough to take care of themselves.

Flowergirl
10th January 2005, 01:04 PM
Yep.........I too am a big fan of brampton Island. Went there abou three years ago and was one of my best holidays. Good staff made it very enjoyable and heaps to do.

Amanda......did you have to pitch over the kangaroos??? Found that a bit daunting :D

They had a great duo performing most nights when we ere there. Can't remember their names - two brothers I think.

Even managed to get my shy husband up on karoke night and do a duet of "Ive got you Babe" - we were just so so bad.
Loved the place and must go back again soon. Thanks for bringing those memories back Amanda :wink:

amanda
10th January 2005, 01:35 PM
Amanda......did you have to pitch over the kangaroos??? Found that a bit daunting :D
The roos were only out at dusk and dawn - saw them a fair bit on our walks - apparently they are dying out from inbreeding!

They had a great duo performing most nights when we ere there. Can't remember their names - two brothers I think.
There was also a duo - but they didn't look like brothers. A staff member told me they rotate performers every 6 weeks - we had 2 young guys playing pub rock stuff.

Even managed to get my shy husband up on karoke night and do a duet of "Ive got you Babe" - we were just so so bad.
Loved the place and must go back again soon. Thanks for bringing those memories back Amanda :wink:
Freaky! We also got up and sang that Sonny & Cher classic on karaoke night!

markTHEblake
10th January 2005, 01:50 PM
It was a National Park so we also did heaps of walks (2km to 10km) stopping at secluded beaches for swims & snorkelling.

and.....?

lucky it wasnt Flowergirl telling this story.

amanda
10th January 2005, 01:55 PM
a lady never kisses and tells :smt008 :smt059

Flowergirl
10th January 2005, 02:26 PM

and.....?

lucky it wasnt Flowergirl telling this story.

We had our daughter with us :roll: :evil:

Golfgirl
11th January 2005, 09:38 PM
Good to see you're back Mandy, and that you had a fabulous holiday.... :D

I love the Whitsundays, and have been there a heap of times... but will now have to think about child friendly places when I go there. :roll:

I love sailing and snorkelling - I don't think I would really miss the golf either.... 8) :lol: