PDA

View Full Version : Wedge shafts

WaldoJeffers
11th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Hey folks,

Is it a necessity to have your wedges shafts the same as your irons? I have dynalite gold r300’s in my irons and I’ve been offered vokey wedges with DYNAMIC gold wedge flex shafts.

Thanks

markTHEblake
11th June 2009, 08:27 PM
From what i have read from many different sources is that the "Wedge" shaft phenomenon is just a new way for manufacturers to suck more money out of golfers, by sticking a "premium" label on a product, and saying the Pro's are using it.

From memory a clubmaker achieves the same affect by using an 8 iron shaft and tipping/trimming it accordingly. Ben from The Golf Forum explains this well.

virge666
11th June 2009, 10:06 PM
From memory a clubmaker achieves the same affect by using an 8 iron shaft and tipping/trimming it accordingly. Ben from The Golf Forum explains this well.

Also in Pelz's short game bible.. it just makes you wedge shaft half a flex softer than normal...

Tomson
12th June 2009, 09:26 AM
virge, do you tip trim an 8 iron for your wedge shafts?? or do you make them half flex stronger?? Just curious as I make my half a flex stronger, as I was taught.

Jerrymoo
14th June 2009, 10:04 PM
There is no hard and fast rule here but...

The specifications and playing characteristics of 'wedge flex' vary depending on the manufacturer. Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland, Nike... all have different preferences for what they bring to market, and while all DG 'wedge flex' shafts are made by True Temper... they can be different.

So far as I know... Titleist/Vokey use a combination of S200s & S300s as their 'wedge flex' shafts and this varies depending on the model/make of wedge.

Against your DL R300s, it looks like this:

DG S200 - flex, S / weight, 127g / flight, low
DG S300 - flex, S / weight, 130g / flight, low
DL R300 - flex, R / weight, 118g / flight, high

The DG S200s/S300s will feel a little stouter and a little heavier, and will produce less launch and less spin than what you presently use in your irons.

henno
14th June 2009, 10:12 PM
Didn't virge have a post somewhere about some of the wacky all-over-the-place figures he got when testing a bunch of "wedge flex" shafts in OEM wedges?

I think it was something along the lines of "they put any old shaft they can find in there, and label it 'wedge' flex".

virge666
15th June 2009, 11:13 AM
Didn't virge have a post somewhere about some of the wacky all-over-the-place figures he got when testing a bunch of "wedge flex" shafts in OEM wedges?

I think it was something along the lines of "they put any old shaft they can find in there, and label it 'wedge' flex".

That was Cleveland... they brought the heads in and then bought whatever shit they could get off TT.

JereeMoo is correct though.

I prefer a softer shaft for wedges as most swing I make with wedges are not full ones - hence don't need the stiff flex.