PDA

View Full Version : Compression shirts - the verdict?

TheTrueReview
8th June 2009, 09:35 PM
I picked up a long sleeved 2XU compression shirt (http://www.2xu.com/compression/) on the weekend for mixed purposes (golf & gym workouts). In fact, had one of each whilst wearing it over the weekend. I found it snug when first put on but after a few minutes, I didn't notice it.

As far as improving my golf, well ... that's another story.

Well, it's been a month or so since a number of Ozgolfers bought their compression shirts (whether they be Skins, Canterbury or Adidas). I deliberately put this in a separate thread because I was wondering what the verdict is from those who've bought them?

Good? Bad? Still/no longer wearing them? Comments?

mike
8th June 2009, 09:44 PM
Wore mine once. No good in high humidity.

adlo
8th June 2009, 09:49 PM
Very happy with the L/S Skins.

Wear it every week. Good in warm or cold weather. Happy with the feeling after a round, also happy with the sun protection and also will prolong the life of white polo shirts by avoiding discolouration from sweat.

Jarro
8th June 2009, 09:53 PM
I've only worn my Adidas Powerweb shirt once.

I shot 38 points so i suppose it worked :)

PeteyD
9th June 2009, 06:16 AM
I have my cheapy K MArt ones. The Bionics ones are a bit short and pull out of your shorts which gets annoying. The Diadora one works fine.

Effect on golf, dunno, but I seem to have less back pain afterwoods when I wear them.

simmsy
9th June 2009, 03:27 PM
Go the UnderArmour brand guys! Definately the best out there. Just ask Nike or Adidas.

Grab one of these for winter golf, never need to wear a jumper.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/au/en/mens/apparel/pid1000512-Men-s-Longsleeve-Mock/1000512-001

Moe Norman
9th June 2009, 05:48 PM
I want to get a long sleeve shirt one, but on't want to pump out more than $80 or so.

Any reccomendations?

Prefer online for simplicity

Bruce
9th June 2009, 06:00 PM
I got a Wilson one for $20 from ebay.

It goes alright.

Moe Norman
9th June 2009, 06:13 PM
i've looked on ebay and they all seem to be UK or US sellers with $20 for postage.

The tightarse in me thinks there must be a better way!

simmsy
9th June 2009, 06:21 PM
do you know what size you would be Moe?

I want to get a long sleeve shirt one, but on't want to pump out more than $80 or so.

Any reccomendations?

zigwah
9th June 2009, 06:56 PM
Is it just me or do these things look a bit gay? i think they're like tatts you should be able to cover em up, i spose the sleeveless once might not look gay as an under garment, but do they feel gay?

Jarro
9th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Is it just me or do these things look a bit gay? i think they're like tatts you should be able to cover em up, i spose the sleeveless once might not look gay as an under garment, but do they feel gay?

What does gay feel like ?

henno
9th June 2009, 07:05 PM

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5008/wrestlersouchv.jpg

virge666
9th June 2009, 07:06 PM
Wore mine once. No good in high humidity.

Your kidding right... that is when they are awesome !!!

henno
9th June 2009, 07:08 PM
I was reading in the free Fitness First Magazine (or whatever it is) that one brand of shirt releases menthol and other stuff when they get moist.

Jarro
9th June 2009, 07:11 PM
dc68 wears one that releases nicotine :shock:

;)

zigwah
9th June 2009, 07:16 PM

tight unfamiliar and somewhat sweaty ;)

Jarro
9th June 2009, 07:17 PM
tight unfamiliar and somewhat sweaty ;)

Well my shirt feels tight (size M) but you get used to it very quickly.

Works well to hold in the gut 8)

giddyupgaz
9th June 2009, 07:20 PM
If I wore a medium sized one it would feel ****ing tight

Not sure if they are made for fat bastards like me, what are really supposed to do?

markTHEblake
9th June 2009, 07:28 PM
Any reccomendations?

am waiting for one of these in the post.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/lsj2767

The marketing for the product is impressive, but not the Chinglish :lol:

I figure if they spent that much time on the brand image then they were worth the try.

Moe Norman
9th June 2009, 08:59 PM
do you know what size you would be Moe?
Large

Moe Norman
9th June 2009, 09:02 PM
am waiting for one of these in the post.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/lsj2767

The marketing for the product is impressive, but not the Chinglish :lol:

I figure if they spent that much time on the brand image then they were worth the try.
let me know if it ever arrives and if its any good.

Thanks guinea pig!

markTHEblake
9th June 2009, 09:06 PM

I dont think it will fit you.

TheTrueReview
9th June 2009, 10:31 PM

Any reccomendations?

Moe, mine cost $120. Yep, it is up there in price but I plan to wear it to death & get my money's worth.

The sale's spin was something like:

it's Italian lycra with a circular weave (supposed to be top notch);
it works similar to compression socks (etc) in hospitals;
the seller has the Qld agency & she used to be a top triathlete until she was knocked off her bike by an old codger;
the company has just become the supplier to the AIS.

I looked at the Diadora brand being sold in KMart (about a month ago) and from recollection it was about $49.

markTHEblake
15th June 2009, 09:50 PM

Got it today and it lives up to the expectations of the marketing - it seems like a quality product to me.

And it makes my manboobs and homer gut look awesome, very tight under the armpits though, that might get annoying, but that might just be due to my disproportions. The scale had me on the cusp of Small and Medium so i took the small.

I did stuff up and get a short sleeve though, i really wanted the long. In any case i figure this product is good enough i will get a couple more.

Yossarian
15th June 2009, 09:53 PM
I'm always borderline on the sizes as well, went down a size, not sure it was the right move, let us know how you get on mark.

Moe Norman
16th June 2009, 07:11 AM
I went and got a slazenger one from Big W, $40 and its perfect.

Jarro
16th June 2009, 07:20 AM
I went and got a slazenger one from Big W, $40 and its perfect.

Compression or temperature regulating one ?

markTHEblake
16th June 2009, 08:10 AM
is there a difference?

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 08:26 AM
I've got an Under Armour one, white.
It was freezing last sat, teed off at 7.30.
Was in the nets warming up, couldnt swing properly with it on!
Had to take it off before i teed off, thank god, i shot 6 over, would have been worse with it on.
Off to the pro-shop or the bay for this one!

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 08:37 AM
What, with long sleeves!

Dotty
16th June 2009, 08:43 AM
Surely a Bonds singlet works just as well ?
A navy blue one underneath and a polarfleece vest on top works well enough on cold days. (btw. Blue is warmer than white, as they are unbleached and the cotton fibres a less damaged.)

just
16th June 2009, 08:50 AM
You learn something everyday. You're a wealth of knowledge, Dotty!

Dotty
16th June 2009, 09:22 AM
You learn something everyday. You're a wealth of knowledge, Dotty!
Thanks, Just.

I used to do a bit of early morning bike riding, and it was all about keeping the air next to the torso warm, without trapping in the moisture. (And most speciality stuff was European, and cost a fortune.) Also had cheap white Lowes skivvies for the really cold days, but the upper body didn't need to move like during a golf swing.

virge666
16th June 2009, 09:51 AM
I've got an Under Armour one, white.
It was freezing last sat, teed off at 7.30.
Was in the nets warming up, couldnt swing properly with it on!
Had to take it off before i teed off, thank god, i shot 6 over, would have been worse with it on.
Off to the pro-shop or the bay for this one!

Size ?

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 11:05 AM
Large, with tags, i only pulled them off that morning!
Its bloody tight and Im not that big.
I just felt funny swinging in it.
I'll bring it up when i come up to see you, if i ever get there!

virge666
16th June 2009, 11:13 AM
Large, with tags, i only pulled them off that morning!
Its bloody tight and Im not that big.
I just felt funny swinging in it.
I'll bring it up when i come up to see you, if i ever get there!

All good.

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 11:16 AM
Like this!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MENS-UNDER-ARMOUR-COLDGEAR-MOCK-T-SHIRT-NEW-sz-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ350131066862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen _s_Clothing?hash=item51857017ee&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
I've got a MITSUBISHI JAVLNFX M6 coming from the states for the D3.

virge666
16th June 2009, 11:24 AM
MITSUBISHI JAVLNFX M6

PullOut from what ?

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 11:25 AM
No-new!

adlo
16th June 2009, 11:27 AM
Good shafts....

Captain Nemo
16th June 2009, 11:29 AM
I hope so, didnt like the Diamanas!

adlo
16th June 2009, 11:37 AM
JavlnFX are very smooth, have them in the hybrids, everyone who has hit them likes the feel. Even Johnny Canuck hit them with a slightly slowed down tempo(in Reg flex) and he swings driver 115+. They are quality.

Moe Norman
16th June 2009, 02:53 PM
I got mine for cycling/running/footy training on a cold night.

I don't think I'd be able to swing a golf club wearing soemthing so tight, or would have to at least go up a size to consider it.

BrisVegas
30th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Moe, were you happy with your Slazenger compression shirt? I need to wear long sleeve shirts for sun protection, but they always annoy me around the wrist & elbow. I looked at these things at Big W today and was wondering if they'd work underneath a normal golf shirt. What about sizing? I wear an XL normally, should I got to an XXL??

Or if anyone has any online sources they'd recommend, please share....

goughy
30th August 2009, 08:43 PM
I've been wearing the slazenger ones for about a year now. They're ok. The sizing is on the packets, don't go by what you think a large or xl is. Measure up. For compression wear if you're on the borderline between 2 sizes then go the smaller. But I do have to say my long sleeve shirt would feel pretty tight to be swinging a club in. But one size up would still be firm fitting and would allow more movement. For like 40bucks tops they are a great buy.

I find they can be a little warm in the sun, but then again I'm riding or running in them anyway.

TheTrueReview
30th August 2009, 10:46 PM
Moe, were you happy with your Slazenger compression shirt? I need to wear long sleeve shirts for sun protection, but they always annoy me around the wrist & elbow. I looked at these things at Big W today and was wondering if they'd work underneath a normal golf shirt. What about sizing? I wear an XL normally, should I got to an XXL??

Or if anyone has any online sources they'd recommend, please share....

I bought my long sleeve one from a kiosk at Chermside shopping centre. http://www.2xu.com/compression/

Yep, they work underneath a golf shirt. Wear it all the time.

Grunt
31st August 2009, 07:38 AM
Hey Goughy

How hot do they get, I was thinking of using them in the Paddle I'm doing? I have sharkskin pants but they will be for the 3rd stint when it is pretty cold. Was thinking skins plus long bike knicks for the early evening legs.

goughy
31st August 2009, 07:34 PM
Can't really say as I don't wear them when it's hot! The black does get a bit warm in the sun, but since it's cold when I have them on I'm happy about that.

MegaWatty
9th October 2009, 04:13 PM
Just took delivery of an Under Armour Metal Heat Gear long sleeve in White. Had it in all mornin around the house and reckon it's more comfy than my Skins. It's designed for the hot weather with the while back basically being mesh.

No, it's not a Freddy Mercury style mesh.

SeldomEagles
9th October 2009, 04:36 PM
Well if it isn't Freddie Mercury mesh then whats the point!!!!
Where did you get it Mega? I have a skins short sleeve in black and it is a million degrees in the sun once I have squished all my wobbly bits into it.

MegaWatty
9th October 2009, 04:39 PM
eBay US. Although there is a Baseball shop on Orrong rd (I think it's called Pitchers Choice) that are an Under Armour dealer. Expect to pay 70-90 bucks. Mine were somthing like that delivered.

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 09:08 PM
The one i bought (back a couple of pages) off ebay, seems to be cold on a cold day and hot on a hot day. Do they actually make ones that work backwards?

MegaWatty
9th October 2009, 09:13 PM
Under Armour Heat Gear like I bought is the 'cool' one for warm days.

Clevision
9th October 2009, 09:42 PM
I have an Under Armour long sleeve black compression/heat shirt that I purchased mid winter. Love it, I hardly ever play golf with a jumper, I don't like the sleeves, they feel restrictive. To my surprise the compression/heat shirt is almost unfeelable (for the lack of a better word) and very warm, it's worn under golf shirts. I would't subject my playing partners to the horror of seeing my gut shrink wrapped.:smt078

MegaWatty
9th October 2009, 09:56 PM
Heat gear for summer. Cold gear for winter.

Clevision
9th October 2009, 10:03 PM
Heat gear for summer. Cold gear for winter.
Yes Mega, mine is a cold gear shirt, I confuse everyone when I call it a heat shirt, but it heats me up.....#-o

SeldomEagles
12th October 2009, 12:33 AM
eBay US. Although there is a Baseball shop on Orrong rd (I think it's called Pitchers Choice) that are an Under Armour dealer. Expect to pay 70-90 bucks. Mine were somthing like that delivered.

Thanks Mega I know the place in Rivervale, might see what they got cos I am way to impatient to wait for things to be delivered.

henno
2nd February 2010, 07:05 PM
I picked up a couple of Puma compression shirts from Amart Allsports at Virginia today. They had a sign up for 50% off, although they are in stocktake and the computer brought them up at full price. There weren't many mediums so I ducked past the Amart at Cannon Hill on the way home and there is no such sale, so it might be last week's special or something. There were a heap of L/XL/XXL.

Anyway, $30-something bucks each - got one longsleeve to try the golf thing, and one sleeveless for jogging and other fitnessy stuff.

Jarro
15th June 2011, 12:02 PM
Anyone know if there are any sales on for these ATM ?

I'm looking for something longsleeved that i can weea in winter to keep my boobs warm :mrgreen:

IanO
15th June 2011, 12:07 PM
Try these guys in Korea --> http://stores.ebay.com.au/SuperFeaturing-Compression-Gear?_trksid=p4340.l2563

henno
15th June 2011, 12:09 PM
Linebreak has a 50% off code for 48 hours starting yesterday. So get cracking!

JUN11GEN

IanO
15th June 2011, 12:10 PM
Also Kathmandu has a good range on sale at the moment --> http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Mens/Baselayers/Thermals.htm

IanO
15th June 2011, 12:11 PM
Henno - linebreak website?

IanO
15th June 2011, 12:14 PM
is OK .. got it

henno
15th June 2011, 12:15 PM
Henno - linebreak website?

is OK .. got it

You're lucky. I was about to drop a lmgtfy.com (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linebreak) link on you.

Golfnut
15th June 2011, 01:09 PM
Rebel Sport are doing 30-50% off Skins & BSc compression gear.

Remind me again why we need these and what they do?

Johnny Canuck
15th June 2011, 01:34 PM
Use google meathead.

Golfnut
15th June 2011, 01:37 PM
Rather hear it from people that actually use them dip shit.

mudrat
15th June 2011, 01:42 PM
I only wear them in winter for a extra layer of warmth.

I also have a pair of compression shorts to deal with chaffing.

rubin
15th June 2011, 01:48 PM
I used to use the Skins waterskiing, and they were great. The pants more so than the tops.

They help with the recovery aspect, and especially if u get sore arms aftera round etc. Increased blood flow, higher level of oxygenation etc. and all that crap. They will, by natural effect of increasing the blood flow, make you feel warmer, but the fabric is moisture absorbant as well, so in the summer, when you get a breeze through them, they cool u down a bit as well.

The only thing, you need to make sure you get the right size, cause otherwise your wasting your money.

If your just after them to reduce the suns effects, get the cheapest thing available.

Jarro
15th June 2011, 01:50 PM
I also have a pair of compression shorts to deal with chaffing.

This sounds like a good idea 8)

Golfnut
15th June 2011, 01:55 PM
This sounds like a good idea 8)

Agreed!

AndyP
15th June 2011, 02:15 PM
Remind me again why we need these and what they do?They are worn so these blokes can get in touch with their feminine side.

They help with the recovery aspect, and especially if u get sore arms aftera round etc. Increased blood flow, higher level of oxygenation etc. and all that crap. This is supposedly still marketing hype, as there's no scientific proof to back it up.

rubin
15th June 2011, 02:18 PM
This is supposedly still marketing hype, as there's no scientific proof to back it up.

Doesn't surprise me, but i was told all this by the Skins rep here in WA - and if you've seen her - you would believe her too ;)

In all fairness, The Skins pants seemed to have a huge effect, the top, a small effect - but still noticeable. Granted, may have been placebo, but they worked for me.

AndyP
15th June 2011, 02:21 PM
The placebo effect for pants has worked for me too, post marathons, etc.

Yossarian
15th June 2011, 02:22 PM
Rebel Sport are doing 30-50% off Skins & BSc compression gear.

Remind me again why we need these and what they do?

If we put an apple logo on it would it make it more appealing to you?

Jarro
15th June 2011, 02:30 PM
I reckon i'll still get the pants and longsleeved top anyway .....

... for the chaffing and what not :)

I don't need them to help keep blood in my muscle

Yossarian
15th June 2011, 02:31 PM
They should help with that jarro.

I actually rate them.

They also make you look awesome.

AndyP
15th June 2011, 02:31 PM
They also add 10m to your drives.

IanO
15th June 2011, 02:33 PM
I have used the skins pants while running for years now and the placebo effect has always worked for me.

The compression top just makes me self conscious of my excess roll, but it does seem to help keep me warm in winter.

Jarro
15th June 2011, 02:37 PM
I have used the skins pants while running for years now and the placebo effect has always worked for me.

The compression top just makes me self conscious of my excess roll, but it does seem to help keep me warm in winter.

This is basically what i'm after ... something i can wear under my golf shirt to help keep the warmth in.

Golfnut
15th June 2011, 02:40 PM
If we put an apple logo on it would it make it more appealing to you?

No

Yossarian
15th June 2011, 02:42 PM
No

But it would make you tell other people to buy them when they are asking about something else ;)

dean0820
15th June 2011, 03:21 PM
you wouldn't wear one for golf performance.
they are basically underwear, but not always comfortable enough.
snug fitting clothes annoy me and if you buy a size up, they're just a t-shirt.
i wear one if it's real cold in the morning, but half way through a round it's too hot.
a good fitting cotton t-shirt is all you need.

Golfnut
15th June 2011, 11:25 PM
But it would make you tell other people to buy them when they are asking about something else ;)

Maybe ;)

idgolfguy
15th June 2011, 11:55 PM
I wear them as I am too cool to wear 'long johns' to golf and in public.

dave1
16th June 2011, 01:01 AM
they keep you warm...um thats ueful for muslcles but they do not aid muscle recovery....thats hogwash in my opinion

I wear ones just for the amrs.....I would think anything tight around your core would actually restrict core muscle speed

its just lycra not some spooky freako thing they bang on about.......

dave1
16th June 2011, 01:04 AM
Doesn't surprise me, but i was told all this by the Skins rep here in WA - and if you've seen her - you would believe her too ;)

In all fairness, The Skins pants seemed to have a huge effect, the top, a small effect - but still noticeable. Granted, may have been placebo, but they worked for me.

yeah I saw here at golf day...she was smokin....

I didnt hear a thing she said