PDA

View Full Version : Flying With Restricted Items

Tomo
8th June 2009, 02:41 PM
My 13 year old daughter reguarly flies interstate with handguns for competition target shooting.

It has surprised me how differently each of the carriers policies operate.

Qantas taped the gun case with security tape, but then didnt ask for ID at the destination. They just handed over the case when my daughter arrived at the security counter. No ID request, or adult needed.

Jetstar did the same but performed an ID check both from my daughter and cross checked it with the ID on the case.

Virgin put a ID tag on the handle of the case with a small peice of elastic which my daughter had to sign. She then had to resign to clear it from security at the destination.

Qantas surprised me a lot, as the day she asked for her luggage was in Sydney, 40 metres from the crime scene after the alledge bashing involving the bikies.

What they all need is a combination of all of their good points to ensure these things dont get lost or fall into the wrong hands.

Anyone else travelled with restricted goods?

Minor_Threat
8th June 2009, 02:55 PM
I dont travel with restricted goods, however I constantly get pulled up for having traces of explosives on me or my luggage. I work for a company that makes explosives for the mining industry!

I have a workcover licence that usually explains things OK..

Tomo
8th June 2009, 03:12 PM
I hear you MT

I just picked her up from Sydney and was asked to undergo the explosives test.

Luckily I didnt compete at my home club yesterday or I may have had some explaining to do.

Ned
8th June 2009, 04:47 PM
I carry my work ID which has not failed me yet!

The other issues are people who use fertilisers etc, they scan out really good.