PDA

View Full Version : speakers

zigwah
7th June 2009, 11:27 PM
Does anyone happen to have any home theatre gear they wanna get rid of? My dad wants a surrround sound but was gonna get one in a box, talked him outta that, so looking for amp, fronts, centre and sub

Anyone?

markTHEblake
7th June 2009, 11:35 PM
Yep, got a Polk 5. system but the woofer is busted. Am positive it just needs capacitor/s replaced.

I know stuff all about electronics but i know a bad capacitor when i see one :-)
it came from the time around y2000 most capacitors were bad.

zigwah
7th June 2009, 11:44 PM
how much you want for the lot?

markTHEblake
8th June 2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RM6000B/Polk-RM6000.html?tp=184

It is this one, bought in 2002 for $1100

the satellites are small 14x9x10, but the are heavy buggars, at about 1kg

History is, One day it 'blew up' took it to the repairers and paid about $140 for them to fix it, which ended up being a capacitor and a fuse. about 6 months later it died again, so i opened it up and saw that the capacitor they replaced was a big mother and it was in a pair, the other original one was now swollen.

I got cranky about that cos every man and his dog knows that most capacitors from the early 2000's were bad due to one dominant manufacturer have a very bad batch., so why the hell wouldnt they have replaced both!

I rang them and told them off, they said too bad, so i went out and bought something else. I figure anyone with half a brain and a multitester could fix it, but i never got around to it ( i have the multitester but....)

$200 plus shipping, i think i can get it shipped for $30 as long as its under 25kg.
(its 18kg but i need to make sure the box is under 25kg cubed as well, should be ok)

zigwah
8th June 2009, 06:38 PM
it's all sweet mark, went shopping with dad today and got him some nice satellites, sub and a denon amp so he's happy, thanx for the offer