PDA

View Full Version : T20 Cricket World Cup - Symonds

chappy1970
4th June 2009, 09:37 PM
Andrew Symonds sent home from the T20 World Cup for playing up.

sms316
4th June 2009, 09:40 PM
****en idiot. Hope they send over Brad Hodge as his replacement.

henno
4th June 2009, 09:42 PM
Rhodes scholar Symonds is not.

just
4th June 2009, 09:43 PM
It was only a matter of time.

sms316
4th June 2009, 09:43 PM
Does Symonds use the same tanning lotion as razaar?

just
4th June 2009, 09:45 PM
Sol was right....say, you didn't happen to run into him the street one day, SMS?

Scottt
4th June 2009, 09:45 PM
What a muppet.

oldmannoodles
4th June 2009, 09:50 PM
Sol was right....say, you didn't happen to run into him the street one day, SMS?

I saw him on the street in Melbourne earlier this year and wished him good luck. I'd take that back after what's come to light over the past 6 months - the bloke obviously lacks basic common sense.

just
4th June 2009, 09:53 PM
I saw him on the street in Melbourne earlier this year and wished him good luck. I'd take that back after what's come to light over the past 6 months - the bloke obviously lacks basic common sense.

Sorry Shaun, I should've known it was a Victorian that offended Sol! What did you say to offend him, OMN ?:razz: Did you say buena suerte?

oldmannoodles
4th June 2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry Shaun, I should've known it was a Victorian that offended Sol! What did you say to offend him, OMN ?:razz: Did you say buena suerte?

My mistake - misread the post - it was Symonds who I ran into. I'd have a few sterner words for mi amigo if I ran into him.

23Rounder
4th June 2009, 10:13 PM
If the guy had half a brain he would have quit Australian cricket earlier this year. He is overrated anyway but "staying loyal" has cost him several million in IPL cash already. This latest incident just confirms his lack of intelligence and lack of suitability for the Australian team

zigwah
4th June 2009, 10:47 PM
The writing was on the wall, and i wouldn't mind betting the writing is on the wall for some selectors.

TheNuclearOne
5th June 2009, 12:04 AM
He should have chosen League, oh how he would have fit in.

AndyP
5th June 2009, 07:50 AM
Good riddance.

This should finally shut his supporters up.

3oneday
5th June 2009, 07:50 AM
Good riddance.

This should finally shut his supporters up.

including Ponting :lol:

Fishman Dan
5th June 2009, 08:22 AM
including Ponting :lol:

Especially Ponting.

He will come out now and say he is sorry, and he is under a lot of pressure....

Now that they will tear up his ACB contract, will they give it to someone worthy (who should have got it in the first place)?

AndyP
5th June 2009, 08:58 AM
Cam White has been called into the T20 side.

TheNuclearOne
5th June 2009, 10:21 AM
Ponting seems to have lost ALL time for him, there's a couple of cutting comments in his press release.

3oneday
5th June 2009, 10:41 AM
Cam White has been called into the T20 side.

Ponting seems to have lost ALL time for him, there's a couple of cutting comments in his press release.

yeah, White is useless.

;)

goughy
5th June 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm seeing an English captaincy in Symonds' future!!! :)

Yossarian
5th June 2009, 07:07 PM
They are welcome to him. What a tool

zigwah
5th June 2009, 08:02 PM
I am well and truly over players getting a game becasue they have made runs previously buy noy for a while and the guys that are great blokes, i will be spewing if binga gets a game in the ashes.

Scottt
5th June 2009, 08:06 PM
A fielding in left field... Zigwah!

zigwah
5th June 2009, 08:10 PM
I just read what i typed and **** me even i could just understand it must have been the bottle of billy cart first, lee's international career should be finished can't believe dougie didn't get a run. whats the bet he gets flown over?

Tongueboy
5th June 2009, 09:13 PM
dougie walters?:wink:

AndyP
6th June 2009, 06:09 AM
You could always stay away from the computer when pissed. I'm sure the internet community would appreciate it.

giddyupgaz
6th June 2009, 06:39 AM
Well it seems I am in the minority, from what I have heard there is not much in what Symonds has done this time. As with the last one it is a minor incident but they keep on racking up to a major issue.
From what I remember, and what I love about the game, a few beers and a big night out have always been part and parcel of being involved in Cricket. Hell it even seemed mandatory that our big names were seen as larrikans and got stuck into the slops.

How would the Rod Marsh and David Boon beer-a-thon been taken today? The Lillee/Marsh punting against themselves? Doug Walters many many antics on the turps/playing cards all night/constant smoking?

Symonds is by no means an angel, he is probably bordering on an alcohol problem and he seems to have his best form behind him. BUT - if they are picking him to tour they know what they are getting themselves in for. It was only a night out get over it guys and either let him be or just stop picking him and let him be happy fishing and playing for shit loads in the IPL

Scottt
6th June 2009, 08:51 AM
Gaz, the 1980s called and said it's time to come home :lol:

They also didn't make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for their play in the era you're harking back to. The game has changed. And really, asking that he limit his boozing to his own time isn't asking that much, is it?

Sydney Hacker
6th June 2009, 08:56 AM
Gaz, the 1980s called and said it's time to come home :lol:

They also didn't make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for their play in the era you're harking back to. The game has changed. And really, asking that he limit his boozing to his own time isn't asking that much, is it?

But when is it his "own time" ? He had a attended all of the functions he was required too, he had been to training etc. He was in his "own time" they just were not allowed to leave the hotel without telling anyone, which is a crock of shit IMO.

I don't have any sympathy for him because he knew the rules, but in other sportsman's defence, when do they ever get to clock off and have their own time ?

Scottt
6th June 2009, 09:09 AM
It's a final straw though, I guess, isn't it? He made the rod for his back. It's unfortunate he has no self control.

For Ponting to have crossed the picket line, there has to be significant feeling against him from inside the team. It's like MTB turning on Gary Calder! :lol:

zigwah
6th June 2009, 09:13 AM
You could always stay away from the computer when pissed. I'm sure the internet community would appreciate it.

i could.

TheNuclearOne
6th June 2009, 10:03 AM
Well it seems I am in the minority, from what I have heard there is not much in what Symonds has done this time. As with the last one it is a minor incident but they keep on racking up to a major issue.
From what I remember, and what I love about the game, a few beers and a big night out have always been part and parcel of being involved in Cricket. Hell it even seemed mandatory that our big names were seen as larrikans and got stuck into the slops.

How would the Rod Marsh and David Boon beer-a-thon been taken today? The Lillee/Marsh punting against themselves? Doug Walters many many antics on the turps/playing cards all night/constant smoking?

A fair bits changed since then tho. Look at sexual harrassment as just one. Discrimination vs women in the workforce, etc. Initiation rituals in the workforce probably as a better one. What was once in everyday acceptance or at least ignorance has changed dramatically.

markTHEblake
6th June 2009, 10:11 AM
Well it seems I am in the minority, from what I have heard there is not much in what Symonds has done this time.

He has a very personalised cricket australia contract, one of the terms was an absolute "no drinking in public", and a zero tolerance to any breaches.

It didnt matter that he only had two or three beers, and it wasnt the last straw, he used up all his chances a while ago, this time it was a clear breach of all the agreeements that were made that allowed him to play cricket again

Of all the dumb things that he has done, this one is the absolute dumbest.

Webster
6th June 2009, 09:39 PM
go Scotland!

giddyupgaz
7th June 2009, 08:36 AM
A lot has changed but the guy is guilty of paltry offences that alone hardly warrant talking about let alone massive media space. Combined they total being deleted from the team? Not my style at all, but I suppose with the nature of everything today that is what we have come to expect.
As for a smart arse call of me being caught in the 80's, maybe I am but it was a far better place to be and watch sport played by men not metronomes who must follow team rules and have no personalities. Footy ( VFL) was tougher, bravery was admired and expected. Cricket had a real edge to it, always thought something was about to explode. Bugger me even tennis was fun to wath with Mac spitting the dummy, Pat Cash a shining light and legendary pants man for the media to drool over.
So if a man gets hung drawn and quartered for playing on and off the field like the heroes he grew up watching we are in for a boring life in the next 20 years. I yearn for the tougher times in sport, want to see the gladiator emerge not the robot who follows the rules to the letter and "gets the job done", maybe thats just me if so at least I am happy in that room alone.
I am now off to have a game of winter golf with some old mates, drink some stones to keep warm and then have a big parmie and a heap of pots afterwards - then hope the good wife has enough of a sense of humour to look after me with some hangover food in the morning.

Sydney Hacker
7th June 2009, 09:27 AM
If Brett Lee is hoping to jag a spot in the ashes team (starting XI) from the 20/20 he will have to improve a hell of a lot from last night.

I watched his first 3 overs and Gayle smashed him from pillar to post with a great deal of ease.

Webster
7th June 2009, 09:39 AM
Brett Lee has simply found his UK form again. What a star.....

WBennett
7th June 2009, 12:52 PM
I'd like to see more of Brett Lee in this tournament, if only to add the final nails to the pie throwers test career.

Sydney Hacker
7th June 2009, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see more of Brett Lee in this tournament, if only to add the final nails to the pie throwers test career.

Did you see him last night at all ? Wouldn't of thought too many more nails would be needed.

Scottt
7th June 2009, 03:52 PM
A lot has changed but the guy is guilty of paltry offences that alone hardly warrant talking about let alone massive media space. Combined they total being deleted from the team? Not my style at all, but I suppose with the nature of everything today that is what we have come to expect.
As for a smart arse call of me being caught in the 80's, maybe I am but it was a far better place to be and watch sport played by men not metronomes who must follow team rules and have no personalities. Footy ( VFL) was tougher, bravery was admired and expected. Cricket had a real edge to it, always thought something was about to explode. Bugger me even tennis was fun to wath with Mac spitting the dummy, Pat Cash a shining light and legendary pants man for the media to drool over.
So if a man gets hung drawn and quartered for playing on and off the field like the heroes he grew up watching we are in for a boring life in the next 20 years. I yearn for the tougher times in sport, want to see the gladiator emerge not the robot who follows the rules to the letter and "gets the job done", maybe thats just me if so at least I am happy in that room alone.

I don't follow the AFL that closely, but mates who do seem to think the game has been improved by the removal of cheap shots and thuggery. League sure has. I'd contest that bravery is still just as evident week-in, week-out in the NRL and AFL as ever before. Unless you class a blind kidney shot or coathanger as brave, in which case we obviously have different views of what is brave.

Tennis now, with Nadal and Federer going toe-to-toe and other players sticking their heads up occasionally to challenge them, is as good as I can remember watching.

As far as cricket now, Aus v India doesn't have an edge? The 2005 Ashes wasn't one for the ages despite the teams getting on famously off the field? Warney and Lara didn't lad their way through 15 years while also being ultra professional when they needed to be?

As for Symonds, the last error might have been small, but what is significant about it is that he proved once more than he cannot follow simple instructions. Turning up for the ODI in Cardiff in 2005 while still pissed was a massive mistake, and undoubtedly had an impact on Australia losing to Bangladesh that day. The Gone Fishing saga showed that he is not prepared to value the team ahead of his own wishes, and the McCullum's a D**khead comment, when he was already in the shit, shows he either doesn't give a f**k or doesn't understand that with the millions of dollars comes expectations that you do your job professionally.

Yossarian
7th June 2009, 04:22 PM
A lot of my Dad's mate who grew up following the VFL into the AFL, when talking with honesty, admit that AFL today is as hard as, if not harder than, the footy of their day.
The amount of televised coverage means it’s a lot harder to shirk the issue and get away with it.
Combined with the professionalism and attitude of the players ect. These guys are running faster, hitting harder and with bigger bodies.
All that is gone as Scott said is the cheap shots behind the play. The introduction of the three umpire system had a bit to do with that as well.

jimandr
8th June 2009, 12:07 AM
I can't see what toughness in the 80's in league and AFL have to do with the T20 World Cup.

Back to topic I reckon.

Even though this stuff lasts in the memory about five minutes, I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

As for B Lee, he was bowling against the best 20/20 batsman in the game. I suspect pace is probably the worst thing to bowl to Gayle. The encouraging thing is that he was racking up some good pace. The bad thing is that they were gun-barrel straight.