PDA

View Full Version : Which Hybrid

vovo
4th June 2009, 04:30 PM
Which hybrid would likely suit me?

I have been meaning to get at least another hybrid, if not one to also replace what I have.

I have a Silver Diamond hybrid fitted for me from GCI which I don’t really like, I can’t seem to hit it as straight as I used to be able to hit a 4 iron, hell I can hit my 3 wood straighter, only problem is there is a huge gap between 3 wood and 5 iron.

Now seeing as Squizzys has a few hybrids going reasonably cheap, and the aus dollar is strengthening, I was wondering if there was anything that I should look out for.

Currently use a steel shafted Silver diamond (Dynamic Gold SL), Driver SS ~110, have a tendency to hook the ball

simmsy
4th June 2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know what would suit you Vovo, but I would definately say try out the Adams A3&A3OS or if you have the coin try the A4 range which is their latest offering, but you can pick up the A3 range pretty cheap now.
The A3 is a lower flight and a little harder to hit I found, the A3OS is higher launch and dumb easy to hit. Very happy with mine and would recommend them to anyone.

Everyone has different opinions, so just try as many as you can.

Cobra Baffler DWS are nice also

goonie
4th June 2009, 04:55 PM
Ping G10 is worth looking at.

markTHEblake
4th June 2009, 05:21 PM
I have a Silver Diamond hybrid fitted for me from GCI which I don’t really like,

Take it back, they guarantee the gear they make for you.

Which hybrid would likely suit me?

It doesnt make sense that after the best clubmaker in qld has assessed you, that you would then turn around and ask a bunch of clowns that know nothing about you for fitting advice :)
all you are gunna get is the merry go round.

ps. at your swing speed and hook tendency, you need to get a hybrid that has no offset. But you would have known that cos thats what Gary woudl have said.

Scottt
4th June 2009, 05:30 PM
:lol: I love it when Blake fires up for Gary Calder. Man crush, much?

just
4th June 2009, 05:42 PM
Vovo
Get some Adams Idea Pro's 18 & 23, should plug the gap nicely, should be cheap online.

Deano
4th June 2009, 09:10 PM
What MTB said - take it back.
Gaz is the goods.

AlexMc
4th June 2009, 09:14 PM
I had a Hogan hybrid initially - hated it. Went back to a 5-wood.

Recently bought a Cobra Baffler Pro - can't believe it is so easy to hit. Love it.

Rather than buy online, go and hit some. The only way you'll know what is best for you.

kingslayer33
4th June 2009, 10:33 PM
Vovo
Get some Adams Idea Pro's 18 & 23, should plug the gap nicely, should be cheap online.

second that Just. My 18deg model is great. Wouldn't mind a 16 to go with it.

ParMaster
4th June 2009, 11:13 PM
I myself use a Srixon AD Hybrid. I love the thing. Only goes straight or with a slight fade. It's a bit of trouble for me to hit it with a draw though so it could suit you if your trying to get rid of a hook.

Go have a hit of 1. I highly reccomend that you do..shouldn't be too much trouble getting 1 for cheap of the bay aswell. :)

adlo
4th June 2009, 11:19 PM
AD's are killer hybrids.

Lucasto23
4th June 2009, 11:25 PM
get the idea pro, no hooks unless you swing them and you can work it both ways.

vovo
4th June 2009, 11:27 PM
Take it back, they guarantee the gear they make for you.

It doesnt make sense that after the best clubmaker in qld has assessed you, that you would then turn around and ask a bunch of clowns that know nothing about you for fitting advice :)
all you are gunna get is the merry go round.

ps. at your swing speed and hook tendency, you need to get a hybrid that has no offset. But you would have known that cos thats what Gary woudl have said.

MTB, you are absolutely right, however, I was unemployed when I was fitted by Gary, I then got a job in Perth and left brisbane about 3-4 weeks later. Gary is fantastic to deal with and I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone, however in life some things are beyond your control and flying back to Brisbane to get a Hybrid fixed seems a little extravagant.

I was looking at the Adams A2 and A3 not the OS ones though, was looking at getting the whole iron set as it can be reasonably cheap, keep the rest as a social set.

Heard much about the cobra, what are the mizuno Fli-his like?

adlo
4th June 2009, 11:41 PM
I have an Adams A3 19 degree with Nippon 950R shaft you could have a swing with. I still have the original PL Red S shaft as well.

Fli Hi's are decent.

ParMaster
4th June 2009, 11:48 PM
Vovo just go out and get an AD Hybrid. You won't be disappointed.

Yossarian
5th June 2009, 12:53 AM
Another vote for the AD although I think there were different models that changed a little?

TheNuclearOne
5th June 2009, 01:01 AM
I am loving the Tour Edge XCG.

Daves
5th June 2009, 10:45 AM
MTB, you are absolutely right, however, I was unemployed when I was fitted by Gary, I then got a job in Perth and left brisbane about 3-4 weeks later. Gary is fantastic to deal with and I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone, however in life some things are beyond your control and flying back to Brisbane to get a Hybrid fixed seems a little extravagant.

I was looking at the Adams A2 and A3 not the OS ones though, was looking at getting the whole iron set as it can be reasonably cheap, keep the rest as a social set.

Heard much about the cobra, what are the mizuno Fli-his like?

I have both a Cobra Baffler DWS and a Mizzy Fli Hi, I much prefer the Cobra but the shaft is the big difference in reality. Both nice looking clubs at address. The Cobra has a Aldila VS Proto HL, the Mizzy an Exsar. On the list to find an Aldila pull to swap it out with one day.

mike
6th July 2010, 06:43 PM
After 4 previous failed attempts I'm going to give the hybrid one last chance.

This (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/8546-Mike-Spag) is my current set up.(disregard the marker pen) Looking to fill the gap between 3wd and 3I and need it to hack out of the long stuff.

What # or ° should I get? Graphite or steel?

henno
6th July 2010, 06:48 PM
18 degree something-or-other in graphite. Sort of fairway, sort of 2-iron, versatile as heck.

Either that, or ditch your 3-iron and get something in the 20-21 degree range.

haysey
6th July 2010, 06:49 PM
Mike,

I've got a few spares lying around you're welcome to trial if you want.

Tomson
6th July 2010, 07:15 PM
Mike, I would be going for something in either cobra or adams you can't go wrong around the 20Deg mark with a soft stiff or a stiff reg and also something that is going to launch a little higher to take full advantage of the hybrid.

mike
6th July 2010, 07:21 PM
Tom, why Cobra or Adams?

Tomson
6th July 2010, 07:31 PM
I have a long running battle with hybrids, mainly the closed face of hybrids put me off. I "prefer" cobra and adams because they tend to sit square to open which I "prefer". As you are aware what I might like might not suit everyone. Best to grab some demo's and go out for a hit then we can match up a better shaft or you can stay with the stock shaft if you like it.

Courty
6th July 2010, 07:33 PM
The recent Adams models are sweet. I hit Tomson's 18 degree this arve and it was very nice! I'm considering getting one to replace my Burner Rescue.

Yossarian
6th July 2010, 07:34 PM
I have a lovely TEE 19* CB2 with a nice axiv shaft for sale ;)

mike
6th July 2010, 07:36 PM
wtf is a TEE?

Yossarian
6th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Tour Edge Exotics. It is very exotic.

henno
6th July 2010, 07:39 PM
I have all cobra baffler pros and one adams (9031DF proto). Best of the bunch.

Tomson
6th July 2010, 07:42 PM
Are they for sale henno?

Yossarian
6th July 2010, 07:42 PM
Adams do make very nice hybrids.

henno
6th July 2010, 07:48 PM
Are they for sale henno?

No chance. I've actually acquired another baffer since my injury. These babies are keepers.

Lucasto23
6th July 2010, 08:24 PM
Henno, any chance i can bribe you into letting me hit that adams DF ;)

henno
6th July 2010, 08:28 PM
Henno, any chance i can bribe you into letting me hit that adams DF ;)

No bribes required. You can borrow it whenever you like (keeping in mind that it is the most expensive individual club in my bag :-P).

Unfortunately I can't drive until after the 19th, so Henno's Delivery Service is temporarily out of action; you'll have to pick it up from somewhere or wait 'till then.

Lucasto23
6th July 2010, 09:08 PM
Mate, for the pleasure of hitting the club i will drive :)

Eag's
6th July 2010, 09:09 PM
So your missus is the designated driver all the time henno? How disappointing for you ;)
Another vote for Adams, they rock :)

henno
6th July 2010, 09:10 PM
Mate, for the pleasure of hitting the club i will drive :)

I'll take it to the office the next time I can wangle a lift (I don't fancy on taking it for the 1.5hr journey on the train/bus) and I'll let you know.

henno
6th July 2010, 09:10 PM
So your missus is the designated driver all the time? How disappointing for you ;)

Sure is. Although I am catching a lot of public transport as she wakes up too damn late to get me to the office on time.

Lucasto23
6th July 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks mate, will look forward to it cause i don't wanna say something silly like my bag is set just yet ;)

henno
7th July 2010, 12:55 PM
So your missus is the designated driver all the time henno?

Mrs Designated Driver will be arriving at the office imminently with the club in hand. Feel free to pop over pretty much any time between 8am and 5pm weekdays, Lucas. Do you still remember where my office is?

Lucasto23
7th July 2010, 06:04 PM
Hey henno, I will be sure to pop out their tomorrow :) ad yeah got it lock into my grey matter GPS

Paddy
7th July 2010, 09:29 PM
If you can afford it the new Adams Super hybrid is an awesome club, I have used the pro golds and A4's and at the moment I have a 9031 16deg and a 19deg super and they are both great. I live in Perth and have A4 irons that I am going to put on the bay shortly as well.

henno
7th July 2010, 10:26 PM
I have a 9031 16deg and a 19deg super and they are both great.

Good hybrids, but why didn't you get them in the opposite configuration? The super hybrid is far more "fairway-like" and looks well suited to a 16 degree, whereas the 9031 is far more "iron-like".