PDA

View Full Version : Putter - Need to find one that will help me be a more consistent putter

Ned
3rd June 2009, 09:37 PM
Have preferred mallet style for years, been looking around and whilst Hayseys Craze thing has been ok, still don't roll it as consistently as I would like or need to. (I mean I even actually putt ok with wedges seriously)

Suggestions ?

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2009, 09:39 PM
try the centre shaft. i haven't seen aldo 5 putt since he switched to one.

Scottt
3rd June 2009, 09:39 PM
Centre-shaft FTW!!!

Ned
3rd June 2009, 09:40 PM
try the centre shaft. i haven't seen aldo 5 putt since he switched to one.

hahahahahahahaha

Actually Hayseys old Craze is one, and it has made a difference but when you see a guy like Courty nail em from every where well there is hope yet!

sms316
3rd June 2009, 09:40 PM
(I mean I even actually putt ok with wedges seriously)

Code violation. Racquet abuse?

Jarro
3rd June 2009, 09:42 PM
Get a conventional Odyssey 2 ball white hot (not centre shaft)

It'll fix ya ;)

Russell
3rd June 2009, 09:45 PM
why not just grind your wedge face flat?

Yossarian
3rd June 2009, 09:49 PM
JC do people from Canada cover their putters in

http://i44.tinypic.com/14t4t3l.jpg

instead of honey?:)

just
3rd June 2009, 09:49 PM
This should help you! (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13794)

Ned
3rd June 2009, 09:50 PM
Code violation. Racquet abuse?

Old guy I played every Sunday with got me using wedges as a training tool.

Worked out ok that I used to use my wedges when I wasn't putting even poorly.

Ned
3rd June 2009, 09:51 PM
why not just grind your wedge face flat?

I use the thin edge, not the face!

Ned
3rd June 2009, 09:52 PM
This should help you! (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13794)

mmmmm was looking at a mallet in one of these.................

3oneday
3rd June 2009, 10:14 PM
It's a mallet and a blade all in one ;) Excellent alignment and not huge to the eyes.

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:16 PM
It's a mallet and a blade all in one ;) Excellent alignment and not huge to the eyes.

I now 31D, but not as good looking as the full mallet version!:cry:

3oneday
3rd June 2009, 10:18 PM
I know I know, Sex sells.

If it helps, it used to give me a woody ;)

:lol:

razaar
3rd June 2009, 10:19 PM
What was in the bag last weekend, Ned?

Ferrins
3rd June 2009, 10:23 PM
I put very well with a wedge as well and actually practise putting with a left hand cleveland back the front so contact is with the thin edge.

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:23 PM
Ping Craze CS

henno
3rd June 2009, 10:24 PM
TM itsy bitsy putters are at rockbottom for $US99 at the moment. Might be worth a look (even if I do personally think they are ugly as sin and look like they are about to take off).

razaar
3rd June 2009, 10:25 PM
That's right...I thought you putted OK...must have been two other blokes.

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:26 PM
I put very well with a wedge as well and actually practise putting with a left hand cleveland back the front so contact is with the thin edge.

Careful Ferrins, I say that and get smashed cause they all think I am fudging for handicap.

When you are punching 30 plus putts a round, it can turn a crap round to crapolla round real quick.

henno
3rd June 2009, 10:26 PM

Not me. I had a swag of 3-putts and even a 4-putt.

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:30 PM
TM itsy bitsy putters are at rockbottom for $US99 at the moment. Might be worth a look (even if I do personally think they are ugly as sin and look like they are about to take off).

You dont have an ugly lady, I wont use an ugly putter!!!!!!!!!

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:43 PM

You and Addo ????????

adlo
3rd June 2009, 10:45 PM
Squizzys has some Heavy Putters for $50 brand new. Some funky mallet designs.

haysey
3rd June 2009, 10:49 PM
Maybe some practice would help.....and sticking with one putter for a while

:wink:

Ned
3rd June 2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe some practise would help.....and sticking with one putter for a while

I practise, with the wedge;)

And have always had mallet Odyssey's:smt108 (3 types only in 10 years).

Its not quite like the yips, just inconsistency.:cry:

razaar
4th June 2009, 07:05 AM
Mate you are being a bit hard on yourself, from what I saw you are a good putter. Knocking in 6 footers with a wedge takes talent and concentration. Apply the same intensity to your putter (hit a particular spot on the face) instead of taking a direct strike for granted.

Ned
4th June 2009, 09:09 AM
Thats the thing Raz, I cannot replicate what ever I do when mucking around with the wedge whilst I am handling the putter.

Unable to transfer the approach I take with the wedge to when I am using the Ping or whatever other putting implement.

Concentration and focus has never been a priority or a consistent behaviour. (Hurts what little brains I have)

razaar
4th June 2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe the first step is not to ground your putter, there is no need to ground it anyway. Don't recall you grounding the wedge. Also the wedge putt requires a level hands stroke, the hands move with the putter head. If you have access to a banister rail run the knuckle of your little finger (using your putting grip) along the rail imitating a putting stroke. That's the feeling you have with the wedge putt and the one you should have with the putter.

Ned
4th June 2009, 09:37 AM
oh, thats the other, practise or training has never even made it past the consideration stage.:roll:

razaar
4th June 2009, 09:47 AM
See your point, no sense in dropping h'cap points. But being able to do it when the money is on the line is another issue.:lol:

Ned
4th June 2009, 09:56 AM
See your point, no sense in dropping h'cap points. But being able to do it when the money is on the line is another issue.:lol:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

The practice thing isnt just about golf, every friggin report card at school had the same thing, like they just saved it as a template "Has potential, needs to apply himself, etc etc etc"

Use to piss my old Regional Manager off, Managers should show total committment blah blah blah.

Coogee Beach
4th June 2009, 10:06 AM
For mine, get a 2-ball, to help with alignment ... then pick your line, then forget about it, and focus on pace, getting the ball to the hole.

Paul Gow told me that once in a pro-am.

Both of us still can't putt for shit but it's certainly a good tip.

actually i putt okay.

don't know about Gowy.

TheNuclearOne
4th June 2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.mentorsportstech.com/vmoiputters.aspx?page=models&modelid=d1

The 224-gram weight adjustability range (from 337g to 561g) and huge MOI of this one got me out of a bit of a putting slump a while back.

adlo
4th June 2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.mentorsportstech.com/vmoiputters.aspx?page=models&modelid=d1

The 224-gram weight adjustability range (from 337g to 561g) and huge MOI of this one got me out of a bit of a putting slump a while back.

Does the ball implode when it gets struck with a 561g putter? :shock:

Ned
4th June 2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe some practice would help.....and sticking with one putter for a while

Now thats the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!:shock:

I refer you to this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10494) as exhibit "A" !!!!!:smt108

just
4th June 2009, 11:29 AM
It does after you five putt!

adlo
4th June 2009, 11:30 AM
Don't encourage the Canadian!!

Why oh why did I have to five putt that green!

TourFit
4th June 2009, 11:44 AM
Good question Aldo...:lol:

But think on this...if you hadn't, the Canadian would just find something else to rib you on anyway !!! So don't beat yourself up too much on it (but I would advise making sure it never happened again, otherwise JC is really gonna tee off on you :shock:)

adlo
4th June 2009, 11:47 AM
I 4 putted the 17th and had a few 3 putts there too. He loves giving me hass about it. Of late, I have had multiple one putts and even a zero putt on that green. Does the ribbing stop? No!!

First game at KB I used the hybrids a lot that day. Haven't used them much at all lately. Does the ribbing stop? No!!

Bloody Canadians eh.

3oneday
4th June 2009, 11:47 AM
This consistent yet ?

Yossarian
4th June 2009, 11:51 AM
The most effective weapon against canadians

http://i44.tinypic.com/14t4t3l.jpg

haysey
4th June 2009, 12:15 PM
Now thats the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!:shock:

I refer you to this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10494) as exhibit "A" !!!!!:smt108

Pfft. Old news. Same putter in the bag for 2 months now8).

No where to practice however. Stupid green renovations:roll:

Ned
4th June 2009, 12:22 PM
Pfft. Old news. Same putter in the bag for 2 months now8).

No where to practice however. Stupid green renovations:roll:

Drivers, shafts, irons, wedges, bags, hats, balls, under cover driving range, Royal G'Vale.

Did I miss anything ????? :-k

haysey
4th June 2009, 12:38 PM
Drivers, shafts, irons, wedges, bags, hats, balls, under cover driving range, Royal G'Vale.

Did I miss anything ????? :-k

Launch monitor, beer girls. But that's about all really8)

TheNuclearOne
4th June 2009, 01:47 PM

Never tried it at the top weight, but i'd say it gets to the hole haha

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2009, 01:48 PM
It does after you five putt!
1.:smt038
2.:smt038
3.:smt038
4.:smt038
5.:smt038

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2009, 01:50 PM
I 4 putted the 17th and had a few 3 putts there too. He loves giving me hass about it. Of late, I have had multiple one putts and even a zero putt on that green. Does the ribbing stop? No!!

First game at KB I used the hybrids a lot that day. Haven't used them much at all lately. Does the ribbing stop? No!!

Bloody Canadians eh.

If you recall, your forth putt missed on the same side that 1, 2 and 3 did. I think you have worn a path on that part of the green from over use.

It's not a 4 putt if #4 doesn't drop. Just be thankful that you were out of stableford shots.

Putting for bird, with a stroke and ending up with zero points. Took some serious effort.

TourFit
4th June 2009, 03:03 PM
Putting for bird, with a stroke and ending up with zero points. Took some serious effort.

Yep, that DOES require some serious ribbing...as well as constant reminders (especially on THAT hole)

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2009, 03:43 PM
Yep, that DOES require some serious ribbing...as well as constant reminders (especially on THAT hole)

I haven't mentioned that he followed it up the following week with a miss from inside a foot on the same green.

He has gotten much better on it lately though.

Courty
4th June 2009, 09:14 PM
Actually Hayseys old Craze is one, and it has made a difference but when you see a guy like Courty nail em from every where well there is hope yet!

:-s Is that a back-handed compliment?

You could own a piece of the magic... I'll probably sell a putter when the Lajosi arrives. The Yes! Tiffany would suit you perfectly. ;)

haysey
4th June 2009, 09:19 PM

More like the kiss of death Mr can't buy a putt:D

dougkpga
5th June 2009, 01:52 AM
I read through this thread and no one mentions fitting the putter to the right length.
With the right length putter allows your arms hang at address with eyes over the ball. Arching your wrists to firm them up and connects your upper arms to the sides of your chest.
The so called standard putter length of 35" is at least 2 or 3" longer than necessary.
Fatter grips can work well also.
Hope this helps, Doug

Scottt
5th June 2009, 01:57 AM
The so called standard putter length of 35" is at least 2 or 3" longer than necessary.

Care to elaborate on that, Doug?

Courty
5th June 2009, 05:52 AM
The pro at my club pro shop was telling me yesterday that the average putter on the PGA Tour is somewhere between 30 & 32". :shock:

Scottt
5th June 2009, 06:25 AM
The pro at my club pro shop was telling me yesterday that the average putter on the PGA Tour is somewhere between 30 & 32". :shock:

That doesn't seem right to me...

Ned
5th June 2009, 07:08 AM

You could own a piece of the magic... I'll probably sell a putter when the Lajosi arrives. The Yes! Tiffany would suit you perfectly. ;)

hahahahahahahaha, repaying the many compliments I get from you guys!!!:roll:

Seriously, you don't appear to have a complicated or detailed set up, get a good roll and seem to maintain good consistency in the times I have played in your group and this is supported by sledging ....... oops I mean compliments from Haysey and Co and have played a heap more golf with you!:mrgreen:

So precious its a compliment for good golfing, nothing else.:smt023

Ned
5th June 2009, 07:11 AM
I read through this thread and no one mentions fitting the putter to the right length.
With the right length putter allows your arms hang at address with eyes over the ball. Arching your wrists to firm them up and connects your upper arms to the sides of your chest.
Fatter grips can work well also.
Hope this helps, Doug

Two things standard with my putters (Sorry actually putter clubs, not wedges) is length of roughly 33 inches and I have Lamkin or bigger oversize putter grips.

Ned
5th June 2009, 07:12 AM

That doesn't seem right to me...

A par round with 18 greens in reg would be 36 putts!

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2009, 09:07 AM
Care to elaborate on that, Doug?

Tourfit wanted to extend my 35" putter as it was too short according to my fitting. I didn't want to go any longer than that.

adlo
5th June 2009, 09:34 AM
Tourfit wanted to extend my 35" putter as it was too short according to my fitting. I didn't want to go any longer than that.

Reshaft?

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2009, 11:17 AM
Reshaft?

It never even got that far.

He said that I should be using at least a 36". I said no. It ended there.

The flattening of the head has been beautiful. She sits perfect now.

mike
5th June 2009, 01:14 PM
Ned, you still in B grade ?

Russell
5th June 2009, 04:43 PM
ned you talk about good putting with a wedge, it seems that you must concentrate more with a wedge than with a putter.
they have such a thing as a chipper putter for those who can putt but not chip
why dont you invent a putter chipper ,wouldnt be that hard to make

Ned
6th June 2009, 06:33 AM
ned you talk about good putting with a wedge, it seems that you must concentrate more with a wedge than with a putter.
they have such a thing as a chipper putter for those who can putt but not chip
why dont you invent a putter chipper ,wouldnt be that hard to make

Russell, what ever you are on I want lots of it!!!!!!!!!:smt038

Ned
6th June 2009, 06:37 AM
Ned, you still in B grade ?

Yes

But no I am not finishing out the Club Champs.

I am either playing in El Arish Holden Scramble or going to Brisbane on the 21st.

Pondering Nudgee event :-k

Russell
6th June 2009, 06:13 PM
ned im serious! if you like thefeedback from putting with a wedge why not make a putter with a reasonably sharp edge

Ned
6th June 2009, 06:21 PM
ned im serious! if you like thefeedback from putting with a wedge why not make a putter with a reasonably sharp edge

I'm good, but not that good!

Russell
6th June 2009, 06:23 PM
ned im no stranger to club making
i made a very good wacking stick,so christened by the members of our club.
it consists as a marriage between an old 5 wood head and a putter shaft,perfectly suited for chipping from just off the green.(pics not available as my cameras broke)
id gladly help you engineer a putter chipper

Ned
6th June 2009, 06:36 PM
ned im no stranger to club making
i made a very good wacking stick,so christened by the members of our club.
it consists as a marriage between an old 5 wood head and a putter shaft,perfectly suited for chipping from just off the green.(pics not available as my cameras broke)
id gladly help you engineer a putter chipper

Ill bring the coke for you and the scotch for me!:mrgreen:

mike
6th June 2009, 09:37 PM
Yes

But no I am not finishing out the Club Champs.

This is fantastic news. Now if only Henry, Risto, Chris, Karl, Floody, Pete and a dozen or so others pull out, I might be in with a chance.

Ned
6th June 2009, 10:53 PM
This is fantastic news. Now if only Henry, Risto, Chris, Karl, Floody, Pete and a dozen or so others pull out, I might be in with a chance.

Listen hear Twin Jarro stop worrying about the things you will never have any control over and start working on the things you have control over.

Its a 72 hole, 4 round event, I'm not telling you something you don't already know!!!!!!!!:smt108

Plus half those names you mentioned aren't even in B Grade.

If you don't pull your finger out, I will play and kick your arse.

Choice is yours!

Courty
10th June 2009, 09:45 PM
The Lajosi has arrived so the Yes! Tiffany is up for grabs. 8)

Ned
10th June 2009, 09:47 PM

Ive already had one amongst the many!!!!:cry:

razaar
10th June 2009, 09:48 PM

Pics?
:)

Courty
10th June 2009, 09:48 PM
Pics?

Which one?

Ned
10th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Which one?

FFS:shock:

Ned
10th June 2009, 09:53 PM
Pics?

Sure you and henno arent related, not just connected by those jocks!!!!

razaar
10th June 2009, 09:53 PM
Which one?
There is more than one? Saw your pic in another thread.:)

Courty
10th June 2009, 09:55 PM
I have one Lajosi and one Yes! Which one did you want pics of?

razaar
10th June 2009, 10:08 PM
Only interested in the Lajosi; your pic only showed the head section. Wouldn't mind a peek at the grip and one at address (looking down).

haysey
10th June 2009, 10:25 PM
Its a very nice putter. Only thing I could find wrong with it was Kari spelt Courty wrong.

I thought it was meant to be CoUNTy.....:mrgreen:

I did my best to steal it.....

Courty
11th June 2009, 05:14 PM
Only interested in the Lajosi; your pic only showed the head section. Wouldn't mind a peek at the grip and one at address (looking down).

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7076/klp6008.jpg