PDA

View Full Version : Maltby Shaft Playability factor

adlo
2nd June 2009, 09:38 PM
Was having a look at the MPF for shafts today.

Link here. (http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2009ShaftMPFRatings.pdf)

Now, the first thing that seems strange to me (compared to distance related conversations here on Ozgolf) is the first MPF criteria: club choice to carry 150y (136m).

I would hit 7 iron that far, and was under the impression that I was hitting a 7 iron short. However, according to MPF that should equate to 94-105mph driver SS. If that a fair extrapolation?

According to some comments Virge has made, any decent golfer should be hitting 8 iron from 135m.

I have been measured on the low end of that SS scale (95mph or so), but generally hit a Reg shaft in the driver. The MPF suggests moving to stiff shafts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MPF for shafts? Is it bull dust?

henno
2nd June 2009, 09:43 PM
From the nuggets of wisdom virge has excreted over the last year or so, I remember one or two things. Specifically that swing speed is not the only determining factor in shaft selection. A "swinger/sweeper" versus a "hitter" will load the shaft differently for the same SS at impact.

Or something like that. What do I know.

Toolish
2nd June 2009, 09:48 PM
Was having a look at the MPF for shafts today.

Link here. (http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2009ShaftMPFRatings.pdf)

Now, the first thing that seems strange to me (compared to distance related conversations here on Ozgolf) is the first MPF criteria: club choice to carry 150y (136m).

I would hit 7 iron that far, and was under the impression that I was hitting a 7 iron short. However, according to MPF that should equate to 94-105mph driver SS. If that a fair extrapolation?

According to some comments Virge has made, any decent golfer should be hitting 8 iron from 135m.

I have been measured on the low end of that SS scale (95mph or so), but generally hit a Reg shaft in the driver. The MPF suggests moving to stiff shafts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MPF for shafts? Is it bull dust?

I hit 7 iron about 140m and have measured driver at 105-110mph so that part of it sound fair.

As Henno said, there is more than SS when it comes to shaft selection, that said unless you load it really hard your speed would probably not need a stiff shaft.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 09:55 PM
If that a fair extrapolation?

looks fair to me (and that fits me)

The MPF guide for shafts is a classification system. it is not mean to replace what dynamic fitting that a clubfitter would use. For one thing many golfers would fit into the cusp of two categories.

A good way to use it is find the shaft that you like, look up its classification, and now you can see the other shafts that are going to be very similar and you have weeded out what is not.

Another advantage of using the system is that he/they personally measured every shaft according to a defined standard, and found differences with what the manufacturers said, like tip is medium not stiff. As you know there is no standards in golf, just marketing.

Once you get familiar with the ratings you can easily know what the shaft spec is, basically 4B2M reads Stiff, medium weight, Mid bend, medium tip. Thats not exactly true because some factors merge with the others but its close enough.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 09:59 PM
Blakey, that is exactly what I was doing. Finding a grouping of shafts that will play similar to what I currently like. Seems like a good place to find those groupings.

Henno, I think that is a good point. I have a smooth/slow (shut up JC) transition, and that is why I feel like I load the reg shaft better. A stock reg shaft feels like poo, but an aftermarket reg feels great.

Thanks for the replies.

I think an Axiv Core Blue 69R might be somewhere in my future......

Scottt
2nd June 2009, 10:08 PM
The thing I dislike about MPF is that it rarely recommends what I want it to :lol:

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:10 PM
Typical ho response.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 10:12 PM
Wait till the typical ho finds the MPF ratings for his expensive irons and finds out that they are crap.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:17 PM
I was very happy to find my expensive irons rated sky high 8)

Scottt
2nd June 2009, 10:25 PM
Haven't checked mine. Anyone got a link to the MPF iron ratings?

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 10:29 PM
I was very happy to find my expensive irons rated sky high 8)

Lemme guess, either Callaway or Ping, both ugly, both best selling irons of all time. I wonder why.

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:29 PM
Google's only a few clicks away:

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/assets/215/MPF_06-07.pdf
http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/assets/368/2008_MPF_Update.pdf
http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/assets/369/2009_MPF_Update.pdf

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:31 PM
Both of your recent iron sets are in the first link, Scottt.

It seems you've gained quite a bit of forgiveness moving to the pings.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:31 PM
This one works a treat (http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/08additions.pdf)

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:32 PM
Lemme guess, either Callaway or Ping, both ugly, both best selling irons of all time. I wonder why.

Rated 949 from a mid size, non shovel Callaway :-k

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:35 PM
Oooh, I want some of those Maltby Tricept F1s even more now. Must resist.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:39 PM
Quite surprised how low the TM clubs rate on the scale.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 10:40 PM
Rated 949 from a mid size, non shovel Callaway :-k

Short hosel, longer clubface = easier to hit.
Standard config for callaway and ping.

Glider X would be more your style. They standout like Narwahls would at a turtle convention.

Scottt
2nd June 2009, 10:40 PM
Hang on.

Mizzy 60s rate at 470-odd and are traditional. S58s are 770-something and super game improvement WTF?!

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:42 PM
What are you struggling to understand there little Scotty?

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:42 PM
Glider X would be more your style.

No thanks. Wide soles no good. Long irons maybe. But honestly, those gliders are ugly as hell.

Scottt
2nd June 2009, 10:45 PM
What are you struggling to understand there little Scotty?

Both have a thin topline, both have a thin sole, both have a shallow cavity, they have a similar blade length... I'm struggling to see how they can differ so greatly?

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 10:50 PM
No thanks. Wide soles no good. Long irons maybe. But honestly, those gliders are ugly as hell.

wait till you see my next bag update.

... I'm struggling to see how they can differ so greatly?

Because you dont understand it. C dimension is the most significant aspect, bigger the better.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:50 PM
It's complicated......

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:51 PM
Read up. There is a lot about hosel weight and dimensions, COG, all that jazz. Not just topline thickness and blade length. Even MTB has stated before that the final figure is not everything. The "C" dimension is an important factor in the result.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:54 PM
It's all relative to the universal constant.......
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/12.15/photos/1-narwhal2-450.jpg

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:57 PM
NAF - Narwhal Approval Factor.

Lucasto23
2nd June 2009, 10:57 PM

They are sweet looking and rate better than my j33's i think i want a set too:roll:

What would they cost landed to aus henno

adlo
2nd June 2009, 10:58 PM
Look like about $100US for a full set of iron heads Lucas

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:59 PM
I think they have a kit for 3-PW with FST stepless shafts, lamkin grips and the tricept heads for $US289 plus delivery.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 11:07 PM

a while back i got 9 iron heads 15 shafts and some odds and bits, and was US$70 shipping. So just heads would be less.

I wouldnt think its possible to hit US$100 shipping while keeping under AU$1000 if buying clubs.

Lucasto23
2nd June 2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you

I think they have a kit for 3-PW with FST stepless shafts, lamkin grips and the tricept heads for $US289 plus delivery.

Tempting, you buy a set and if you don't like em i'll take em off you :wink:

a while back i got 9 iron heads 15 shafts and some odds and bits, and was US$70 shipping. So just heads would be less.

I wouldnt think its possible to hit US$100 shipping while keeping under AU$1000 if buying clubs.

So it we about a $100 in shippping for a set or the $70 you paid?

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 11:29 PM
So it we about a $100 in shippping for a set or the $70 you paid?

I got a quote a while back for 10 irons fully assembled and shipping would have been $65 US

simmsy
2nd June 2009, 11:42 PM
Seriously....
would anyone that only had a medium level understanding of clubs ever call Ping S58's a "super game improvement" iron?

Are they really that forgiving?
I never even tried to hit them when looking at my last set as I put them into the "very good player" list of clubs.

Scottt
2nd June 2009, 11:48 PM
Simmsy, from my experience of owning all three, the S58s are more forgiving than the MP-60s, but less so than the R7TPs.

The MPs and R7s both had R300s in them, the Pings have ZZ65s.

adlo
2nd June 2009, 11:49 PM
There are a few surprises. I found the rating for the Mizuno wide soled irons quite surprising (low that is)

Mayhem
2nd June 2009, 11:55 PM
It's all relative to the universal constant.......
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/12.15/photos/1-narwhal2-450.jpg

:smt038

He he he he

simmsy
2nd June 2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah the mizzy's were low but the TM's were the most suprising I think, especially the R7Draws.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2009, 12:15 AM
Seriously....
would anyone that only had a medium level understanding of clubs ever call Ping S58's a "super game improvement" iron?

You are right, and considering the guy that personally classifies the irons, is one of the USA leading club designers and experts, and the manufacturers all send him their latest clubs to be measured, one would have to think that he knows something that we dont know!

He doesnt actually call it that. He measures the clubs, performs the magic with the numbers, and ends up with a total. The club calls itself a SGI iron by virtue of its characteristics, not by some dude looking at it and saying thats nice.

Yeah the mizzy's were low but the TM's were the most suprising I think, especially the R7Draws.

from memory the R7 Draws rate very lowly because the Centre of Gravity is towards the heel instead of in the centre of the clubface. He rates such a factor very low as it should be.

It might seem hard to understand, but this is a playability rating not a forgiving rating. Usually they go hand in hand but not always.

simmsy
3rd June 2009, 12:21 AM
It might seem hard to understand, but this is a playability rating not a forgiving rating. Usually they go hand in hand but not always.

You're right it is!
When i see a club labled SGI i automatically think gee i could play that club, same as i see Classic i know to steer clear of it.
this "playability" factor has confused me. Any definition for the difference between playabillity and forgivness?

Scottt
3rd June 2009, 12:29 AM
He doesnt actually call it that. He measures the clubs, performs the magic with the numbers, and ends up with a total. The club calls itself a SGI iron by virtue of its characteristics, not by some dude looking at it and saying thats nice.

:smt038

:lol:

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2009, 12:39 AM
One the 08 list, he refers to a brand of clubs a "Titlesist".

Great attention to detail from this Maltby chap. I'll believe everything that he says from now on.

adlo
3rd June 2009, 12:41 AM

Great attention to detail from this Maltby chap. I'll believe everything that he says from now on.
Big call from someone who was talking about a driver skipping to the UK

simmsy
3rd June 2009, 12:42 AM

Great attention to detail from this JC chap. I'll believe everything that he says from now on!:lol:

Yossarian
3rd June 2009, 12:43 AM
Great attention to detail from this JC chap. I'll believe everything that he says from now on.!:lol:

:roll:

:lol:

adlo
3rd June 2009, 12:47 AM
Better start checking this greasy canadians score cards a bit more thoroughly

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2009, 12:58 AM
Big call from someone who was talking about a driver skipping to the UK

It was a gay driver.

Is Yoss a post whore? I think he is setting a record for emotion-only posts:roll:.:mrgreen::):smt038

adlo
3rd June 2009, 01:00 AM
Emotion only posts hey?

Sounds heavy
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1425/911622931_188d37189d_o.jpg

Yossarian
3rd June 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm a
http://i39.tinypic.com/29xhfzs.jpg

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2009, 12:19 PM
That's better. Smileys are boring.