PDA

View Full Version : advice please

zigwah
2nd June 2009, 10:21 AM
bought my fiancee a diamond ring less than a month ago.

She went shopping yesterday and when she returned home the stone was gone.

I rang the jeweller and they told me the ring would have to be sent to melbourne.

When i initially bought the ring thry said the stone was a little lose and it would have to be sent to melbourne, this was after i had paid for it and we had gone in to get it resized.

I was a bit iffy of the ring being sent to melbourne, who knows wha could happen between here and there.

Anyway what are my options

Let them send the the ring to melbourne

Ask for another ring and if this is the case do i ask for a ring the same price i paid or for the valuation amount

Or can i ask for my money back

thanx Zig

henno
2nd June 2009, 10:23 AM
I hope you have insurance in case all of the above don't work.

zigwah
2nd June 2009, 10:31 AM
No insurance yet, but surely it should be faulty workman ship?

I forgot to add that when i said we didnt want to send the ring off, they said that their jeweller looked at it again and the store manager looked at it and the both said it would be ok.

sms316
2nd June 2009, 11:01 AM
Ring Today Tonight.

zigwah
2nd June 2009, 11:11 AM
Ring Today Tonight.

i dont want my ugly mug on tv

Dotty
2nd June 2009, 11:24 AM
In NSW, the Dept. of Fair Trading has website outlining the obligations of both the seller and buyer, implications, expectations, exceptions, courses of action, etc.

I'd suggest, read the Victorian equivalent and see where you stand. (And look at the NSW one too, as it seems more comprehensive.)

It will also give you a good vocabulary, when you go/write back to the jeweller with terms such as ...
'merchantable quality' and ...
'suit a particular purpose if you have made a specific purpose known to the seller and have relied on the seller’s skill or judgement standards'.

ps. Avoid their 'dob' function. Try all avenues with the seller (or his franchise) first.

Peter
2nd June 2009, 08:42 PM
zigwah,

I would be extremely concerned and trying to do a deal with the store owner as quickly as possible. They could easily argue that (a) the setting was fine when it left the store, or that (b) they warned you about the potential issue with the setting and you chose to take it anyway after being fully informed of the risks.

Now neither of these might be true, but if they dig their heels in your legal fees might cost more than the ring. If they are willing to replace the diamond you should simply be looking for a stone of equal cut/colour/clarity/carat, and not worrying about the difference between purchase price and valuation.

Having recently spent a small fortune on diamonds myself this thread has reminded me that I still haven't called my insurance company.

zigwah
3rd June 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanx for all the replies guys,they have sent the setting to melbourne, for a jeweller down there to look at, i guess to see if the diamond has been prised out with something.

The lady at the store was helpfull and remembered the ring and thought it would be ok.

I politley told them we didn't want that ring back whatsoever, and were happy to chose another ring or get a refund and buy elsewhere.

anyways they have told me we will hear from them in five days.

mikezone13
3rd June 2009, 10:36 AM
Moral to the story - don't buy the missus a diamond ring :D

zigwah
3rd June 2009, 01:57 PM
ya brother

Chris32
3rd June 2009, 02:16 PM
Jewelry can be painful! I remember a few years back my fiance was looking at a gold necklace. I could tell she really liked it, and with Christmas coming up I thought I'd get her the necklace.

While she was looking at it, I managed to write down the product code etc of that necklace. Anyhow about 6 weeks later I went into the store, said she had tried on this necklace, gave them the number and they went and found it.

Gave her the necklace, and it was the wrong one! Someone had swapped the tags over and it was slightly differant, and she didin't like that one!

I had a hell of a time swapping it over for the right one as well, as I had no clue what the 'right' one was.

That was from Zamel's. After that I refused to deal with those store's, they are a mess when it comes to getting the right items after they have given you a quote or written the number down.

Best of luck getting the ring sorted, was it from a franchise jeweler?

zigwah
3rd June 2009, 02:21 PM
yeah i think so been in town a while though fairly good rep thomas