PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet setup issues, help!!

moree golfer
1st June 2009, 10:47 PM
I wished to make my new desktop wireless link to my wireless modem router. As I bought a desktop without a preinstalled wireless adapter I bought an UltraUSB adapter. I am stumped as to why I can't connect, it may have to do with the driver on Vista interfering with the connection. I have ruled out the router as I can connect wirelessly to my old lappie and security has been removed temporarily from the router with success. Does anyone know how I disable or remove the Vista driver or am I barking up the wrong tree?

PS. I have talked to my ISP and the supplier of the adapter and they can't solve the issue. I can see my network and a neighbour without the ethernet cable hooked up so something is transmitting wirelessly I would have thought.

adlo
1st June 2009, 10:49 PM
Clowns are funny.

Where's Henno?

henno
1st June 2009, 10:51 PM
Urgh, USB wireless adapters. Can you connect to any wireless networks anywhere?

Ned
1st June 2009, 10:52 PM
If its an access point, then it should have come with some CD's to load the drivers.

moree golfer
1st June 2009, 10:57 PM
Urgh, USB wireless adapters. Can you connect to any wireless networks anywhere?
No i can't. When i try to connect to my neighbours secured network it gives me a prompt for the PSK but when I try to connect to my network (when secured) it doesn't even get there just says connection failed, see attached for printscreen.

moree golfer
1st June 2009, 10:59 PM
If its an access point, then it should have come with some CD's to load the drivers.
The usb adapter has a CD which I installed before inserting the usb for the first time (:lol: reading that sounds like I popped its cherry).

Ned
1st June 2009, 11:01 PM
The usb adapter has a CD which I installed before inserting the usb for the first time (:lol: reading that sounds like I popped its cherry).

I am sure henno can make it that way for you!!!!!:)

henno
1st June 2009, 11:01 PM
I'd say there are some settings for that network that simply aren't working.

Try changing the ESSID to something else, then see if you can connect. Hopefully the software will ignore any existing settings and try to connect to it as if it's a new network.

moree golfer
1st June 2009, 11:03 PM
I have changed the SSID about four times now, shortened it to four lower case letters with no spaces.

Ned
1st June 2009, 11:04 PM

My suggestion is uninstall the whole lot (Hardware and software), reboot computer, load cd, plug in usb, then direct new hardware instal to the CD and see if that makes a difference.

moree golfer
1st June 2009, 11:08 PM
I'll give it a go Ned and report back.

Ned
1st June 2009, 11:11 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz time for me, good luck

markTHEblake
1st June 2009, 11:18 PM
delete the wireless profiles, or whatever Vista calls them

adlo
2nd June 2009, 12:05 AM
Five?

Yossarian
2nd June 2009, 12:07 AM
Is it possible to get wireless internet connection on West Australian golf courses? :)

adlo
2nd June 2009, 12:08 AM
Maybe on my mobile device when playing JC in a match?

Yossarian
2nd June 2009, 12:09 AM
I guess it would depend on the course?

adlo
2nd June 2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, maybe this would be a good place to discuss which course we could play?

Yossarian
2nd June 2009, 12:12 AM
Maybe Gosnells?

adlo
2nd June 2009, 12:13 AM
JC loves Gosnells.

Hey JC, Gosnells??

Yossarian
2nd June 2009, 12:14 AM
:lol:

moree golfer
2nd June 2009, 08:48 AM
delete the wireless profiles, or whatever Vista calls them
Where do I look for the wireless profiles MTB? It appears Vista is the root of the problem, surprise surprise.

henno
2nd June 2009, 09:04 AM
Unfortunately I know nothing of Vista. But if you dick around in the Network Preferences area, you'll eventually jump through the right hoop so that Bill Gates will allow you to see the wireless networks that are already set up.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2009, 05:20 PM
somewhere in the wireless settings you will find a list of wireless networks you have already connected to (or tried). there you can change settings for each network, add manually or delete them

It cant be hard to find.

Like Henno, i cant help you more than that, as I dont have Vista.

moree golfer
2nd June 2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for your help mark and henno but I deleted the networks showing in the Windows Network and Sharing Center. Then I went to the adapter config utilities screen scanned for a network, saw my SSID and then attempted activate with no result.

henno
2nd June 2009, 09:52 PM
You need to work out through a process of elimination whether it is a hardware or software issue, and if it's a problem with the client or the access point. Eliminate each one by one, and then attack the problem from there.

moree golfer
2nd June 2009, 09:57 PM
I might try to set up the adapter on my laptop to tick off that the adapter is functional (I think it is but best to be sure).

poidda
3rd June 2009, 07:59 AM
Turn off everything else that is connecting to this router and then turn the laptop on. It could be a case of conflicting IPs. This happens a lot. Or better still, have a look on yur router what IPs have connected to make sure you don't have any free loaders with a static IP.

moree golfer
3rd June 2009, 09:12 AM
Cheers Poidda, I'll have a squiz at lunch and test it. I am trying to get the adapter working on my PC, the laptop connects ok to the router via network card.

moree golfer
15th June 2009, 12:29 PM
I sent the USB adapter back and the guy I bought it has quoted on a Wireless Access Point but it is twice as much as an adapter, but he reckons cause it doesn't need a driver then I shouldn't have any issues, like the adapters (Belkin and Freenet UltraUSB) I have tried with no success. Is $80 fair value for a WAP or should I shop around?

zigwah
15th June 2009, 06:36 PM
why do you need to connect the desktop wirelessly? just plug into the back of the router.

Do you have 2 desktops at too far from the router?

download a trial of a program called network magic, all your problems will solved in 5 minutes