PDA

View Full Version : New member - mad keen golfer

TheRealChopper
31st May 2009, 09:19 PM
Gidday

New to the site - met up and played with 3 regulars on the weekend and got the goss so here i am.

Warning to all - Ned Kelly is by name and nature - do not, I repeat, do not play him for drinks or bets !!!!! He got my money again!!!!

Had a ball guys look forward to doing it again

Chopper

adlo
31st May 2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome.

May you develop a love for Narwhals.

henno
31st May 2009, 09:21 PM
Gidday

New to the site - met up and played with 3 regulars on the weekend and got the goss so here i am.

Warning to all - Ned Kelly is by name and nature - do not, I repeat, do not play him for drinks or bets !!!!! He got my money again!!!!

Had a ball guys look forward to doing it again

Chopper

Hey Chopper! Welcome to the madness.

Eag's
31st May 2009, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the house of fun ;)

markTHEblake
31st May 2009, 09:28 PM
How is the course at Emerald, havent played there since 83 when it had some new holes built, but I remember it had the makings of a good course, and there was a new par 5 up the back that seemed brutal

Dazza
31st May 2009, 09:37 PM
Welcome Chopper,

Spent many of my junior years playing at Emerald, first started back when they still had the old clubhouse. It went not long after I began.
Was also there when they made the changes to Hole 2 (New green with bunkers to the left of the old green)
Good times, great course.

but I remember it had the makings of a good course, and there was a new par 5 up the back that seemed brutal
I think that was Hole 13. Tee off to a fairway with a large drop off either side & a gully to split the fairway in two about halfway along the hole.

Beetle34
31st May 2009, 10:03 PM
Welcome uncle chop chop, I also grew up playing the emerald course when i wasn't adding to my ball collection. I used to live in opal st across from the meteor motel.

Iain
31st May 2009, 10:28 PM
Hey Chopper, welcome to Ozgolf!!

Dotty
31st May 2009, 11:49 PM
Welcome TRC.

Ned is not too bad, it's S1234567 that wins all the good stuff. ;)

Ned
1st June 2009, 12:13 AM
Lets see, he is either 10 minutes too late or he never ever gets it.

Mad, yes, keen, yes, stupid, yes, gullible, YES, Will I take his money and drinks, that will never change, he has a back swing that short that even lawn bowls is looking like being out of the question.

Here is a suggestion for your Avatar............................:smt098

Oh sorry I mean this photo.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vW-f8QS75wg/SiKP45kHf6I/AAAAAAAAAKY/EVztKYalgTU/s128/Chopper%20Two.jpg

razaar
1st June 2009, 04:45 AM
Welcome chopper, its nice to be able to put a face to a newbie. You will fit in nicely here mate.

Sydney Hacker
1st June 2009, 12:09 PM
Man all these people admitting they came from/lived in/been to Emerald... Very rarely do I admit to anyone I was born and bred there...:(

Dazza
1st June 2009, 01:36 PM
Man all these people admitting they came from/lived in/been to Emerald... Very rarely do I admit to anyone I was born and bred there...:(

Emerald rates fairly high, compared to some of the other crap holes I've lived in.
My mum's side of the family have lived in the Emerald/Comet region for nearly 30 years.

Sydney Hacker
1st June 2009, 01:42 PM
Emerald rates fairly high, compared to some of the other crap holes I've lived in.
My mum's side of the family have lived in the Emerald/Comet region for nearly 30 years.

Emerald is not that bad, now that you are older and sit back and think about it. But as a young kid growing up in the middle of nowhere it sucked !

My oldies are still out there, but I only get back once or twice a year maximum, purely because of the distance.

My parents have been out that way for over 40 years, but have always been around that part of Qld ie. Rocky, Isisford and so forth.

TheRealChopper
1st June 2009, 02:57 PM
Nice to hear all of the replies regarding the Emerald Golf Course. The course is as good as it has ever been. The 6th hole which is the par 5 down beside the river has actually got more difficult with the growth of trees on both sides of the fairway and in the hazard on the corner of the dogleg. Nice to hear that many of you have played, lived or were born in the town.

Sydney Hacker
1st June 2009, 03:07 PM
I always thought the 3rd was a good hole. If you wanted to be brave and try and carry a fair bit of the water you left yourself with a pretty short second.

markTHEblake
1st June 2009, 05:43 PM

I was only there for 3 or 3 weeks, and it wasnt too bad, I have worked in much worse places. If i remember right friday night drinkies at the petrol station was far more entertaining than the pub.

I even bought a set of irons there, walked into the proshop, and said, "I'll have those!" I think the Pro's name was Craig someone (a ginger).

u8ergolfer
1st June 2009, 08:21 PM
I only know two things from Emerald, miners and the 'flash' Alan Mc Indoe.he could fly..worst on field fighter I've ever met tho'

Sydney Hacker
1st June 2009, 08:32 PM
I was only there for 3 or 3 weeks, and it wasnt too bad, I have worked in much worse places. If i remember right friday night drinkies at the petrol station was far more entertaining than the pub.

I even bought a set of irons there, walked into the proshop, and said, "I'll have those!" I think the Pro's name was Craig someone (a ginger).

I assume from what you do now and other comments you used to be a bank johnie ? if so what bank were you with ? The CBA staff quarters used to be right on the golf course.

There was a ginger there for a long time and he name was Craig, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. He only left about 5 or so years ago.

Sydney Hacker
1st June 2009, 08:33 PM
I only know two things from Emerald, miners and the 'flash' Alan Mc Indoe.he could fly..worst on field fighter I've ever met tho'

The Emerald Express, he was Emerald's first real big name footy player, not that there has been a lot since!

He is back living there now, manages a removalists company or something I think.

Dazza
1st June 2009, 08:36 PM
There was a ginger there for a long time and he name was Craig, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. He only left about 5 or so years ago.

Craig Wallace rings a few bells.

markTHEblake
1st June 2009, 09:16 PM
I assume from what you do now and other comments you used to be a bank johnie ? if so what bank were you with ?

Nab. the quarters were attached to the branch. I would wake up at 8.15, have a shower and be at me desk by 8.30 and have travelled only about 6 metres.

The CBA staff quarters used to be right on the golf course.

must have been a Hotel. They had more staff than the other 3 banks combined.

Dazza wins first prize, pretty sure it was Craig Wallace. Exceptionally nice bloke.

He is probably kicking himself for leaving 5 years ago, emerald has boomed in that time.

PeteyD
2nd June 2009, 05:55 AM
My brother lives there, teaching.

Sydney Hacker
2nd June 2009, 07:11 AM
Dazza wins first prize, pretty sure it was Craig Wallace. Exceptionally nice bloke.

He is probably kicking himself for leaving 5 years ago, emerald has boomed in that time.

I seem to remember a mate telling me something about a illness in the family or something like that.

He rode the boom out their for a fair while though, Emerald has/had been booming for 15 years or so. I think it has quietened down a bit at the moment though.