PDA

View Full Version : Golf Injuries

Grunt
30th May 2009, 06:41 AM
After watching the golf this morning and seeing Chad Campbell tear his calf muscle playing a shot got me thinking.

What golf injuries have you seen on the course?

I have only ever seen the type from being hit with a ball. I guess some of you have seen a few guys do their back in on the course.

AndyP
30th May 2009, 07:00 AM
I remember Nudgee stabbing himself in the leg with a shaft when it snapped on a tree.

Grunt
30th May 2009, 07:06 AM
Ouch, that would be a rare one then. Stabbed with own shaft.

Coogee Beach
30th May 2009, 07:44 AM
My old man whacked a 3-wood out the rough that hit a tree and bounced straight back and collected him in the head, just above the eye, dropped him, blood n stuff.

Coogee Beach
30th May 2009, 07:44 AM
he got better.

Jarro
30th May 2009, 08:09 AM
I received a nasty case of black balls once :shock:

Minor_Threat
30th May 2009, 10:12 AM
* I fractured a bone in my wrist playing from tree roots.
* Had a few blokes have heart attacks while I was working in the pro shop.
* Saw a bloke with a broken jaw after corporate day gone wrong.
* Saw a broken arm after some wanker rolled a cart.

pt73
30th May 2009, 10:32 AM
A mate of mine collected a guy in the melon, the guy wasn't looking and walked out from the trees onto our fairway (about 25M of the tee) just after my mate had begun his tee shot swing with a driver. Guy was knocked out and blood everywhere, taken to hospital and my mate was obviously very shaken up poor bugger. Lucky the guy wasn't killed considering how close he was to my mate who gives the ball a solid hit.

sms316
30th May 2009, 10:53 AM
I've seen a guy get hit on the old fella whilst taking a slash under a tree. Still makes me giggle just thinking about it.

:lol::lol::lol:

markTHEblake
30th May 2009, 11:09 AM
One of the members at Horton Park looked around when someone called out Fore. Hit him in the middle of the eye - but he was weariing glasses - glass lens.

the doctor said the eye was like mashed Jelly.

razaar
30th May 2009, 01:03 PM
Played with two guys with identical remote control buggies. One guy was trying to get his buggy to operate using the remote but it wasn't moving, he mistook his mates clubs for his. Unfortunately his buggy was working perfectly, took off straight into the water hazard (deep pond) out of his vision. He had to dive to retrieve his equipment. The injury was to his pride and he is still injured after 2 years.:)

Toolish
30th May 2009, 01:54 PM
I have strained the ligaments in my left shoulder from playing golf. Wear and tear type injury that made it hurt to swing and being the stubborn one I am I played with it hurt for about 2 months, did nothing good for the shoulder or my golf game. Flinching at impact kills your ball striking!

ParMaster
30th May 2009, 05:16 PM
I fell into the water once trying to play a shot once. No injuries but thought i'd just say it for some fun. :)

Most of you know i saw Vanessa get hit in the head at Asquith.

I've never sustained any injuries except some back strain and thinning of the plates in my spine. Although i've hit about 4 people playing. lol

Grunt
30th May 2009, 06:44 PM
Must have been an omen or something. I hit a guy today at The Grange on the 13th hole.

I had sprayed my drive and had a decent shot out. I decided I could get my 4w though the gap in the trees back down the fairway. The 14th green was about 60m away and roughly 45* degrees to my target line (maybe more) I proceded to absolutely cream my 4w, but not quite good enough. I hit the tree maybe 120m in front of me flush on, the ball shot left and backwards real fast. It hit the guy on the 14th green as he was lining up a putt. I had no time for FORE.

He first thought it came from the 14th fairway as it had hit him in that direction. After hitting him it rolled of the back of the green another 20m. He then saw me walking slowly toward him to apologise. I felt like shit.

After the round I offered him a drink but he refused and joked about it. He told the barman "that is the bastard that hit me". He then said that it had broken the skin and if it had not hit the hamstring muscle and got bone he thought it would have broken it.

Was the first time since in ages that I had ever hit someone on the golf course. Only other time was in the school days where I got a mate after sculling a bunker shot. I got him in the tailbone.

henno
30th May 2009, 10:06 PM
Iain hit someone today. Got him square in the crotch, only a few inches off the baby-maker. :razz:

Golfnut
31st May 2009, 12:57 AM
Scored one in the arm just below the shoulder muscle from a mate from basically point blank range (4-5m).....the ball had a motor on it too.......most pain I've ever felt in my life and the most colours I've ever seen a bruise change over the course of 2 weeks......My mate obviously had more faith in his shot then I did particularly since I told him to wait while I walked ahead into the rough to retrieve my ball.

Mayhem
31st May 2009, 09:51 PM
Mate of mine was pissed after hitting a shot AOB today. Threw his drop shot straight up in the air out of frustration and hit himself on the scon.

Moe Norman
31st May 2009, 10:16 PM
I buggered my wrist hitting it out of deep rough at Cork Golf Club in Ireland.

Ironically, this course is actually a perfectly manicured parkland course, and not a rough and tumble links course that would normally feature wrist busting rough.

3oneday
1st June 2009, 08:06 AM
My right calf cramps up every now and then when hitting driver. No idea why but maybe the sudden stretch/change in direction is why it happened to Campbell.

AndyP
1st June 2009, 08:25 AM
I forgot about my nasty injury when playing golf. I badly rolled my ankle on the 4th or 5th hole of the day at Mt Coolum GC. I was running to the left to get a sighter of a ball after my brother sliced one around some trees. It was a raised tee area, and I wasn't prepared for the step down, so the ankle copped it. I let one group through before limping my way through the rest of the round (and a good score from memory). The swelling and bruising has been recorded in photos on this forum before. It was a beauty.

Dotty
1st June 2009, 08:44 AM
I once had tennis elbow kick in after 12 holes, and went from +2 to -3 vs. par.

Twice had glasses broken by a ball. Tee shot came off another fairway, call of 'Fore', I ducked and covered, but ball bounced off turf just in front of me and hit me on the cheek. (And never used glass lenses again.)

Second time, just finished tee shot and copped a hooked tee shot from 150m away, right on the hinge of the glasses just below the temple. Luckily, thick plastic frames from a buy-1-get-1-free offer took the impact. (And the clown didn't call fore, because he couldn't tell if anyone was on our tee, from his angle. :smt093)

poidda
1st June 2009, 08:57 AM
Miro broke a toe nail once.

Russell
1st June 2009, 09:46 PM
at mossman fnq on a charity ambrose, a golfer hit his ball, broke the shaft on the follow through, and embedded the shaft in his neck.
with blood everywhere he would have died but for quick thinking medics
it was an ambrose to raise money for the ambulance fund.

henno
1st June 2009, 09:50 PM
at mossman fnq on a charity ambrose, a golfer hit his ball, broke the shaft on the follow through, and embedded the shaft in his neck.
with blood everywhere he would have died but for quick thinking medics
it was an ambrose to raise money for the ambulance fund.

I think we have a winner!

Ned
1st June 2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone posted busted ego's ?????????:roll:

Scottt
1st June 2009, 09:56 PM
Brings this to mind, from the Darwin Awards. This bloke won one year, despite not dying, such was the stupidity :lol:

Based on a bet by the other members of his threesome, Everitt Sanchez tried to wash his own "balls" in a ball washer at the local golf course. Proving once again that beer and testosterone are a bad mix. Sanchez managed to straddle the ball washer and dangle his scrotum in the machine. Much to his dismay, one of his buddies upped the ante by spinning the crank on the machine while Sanchez's scrotum was in place, thus wedging them solidly in the mechanism. Sanchez, who immediately passed beyond his threshold of pain, collapsed and tumbled from his perch. Unfortunately for Sanchez, the height of the ball washer was more than a foot higher off the ground than his testicles are in a normal stance, and it turned out that the scrotum was the weakest link. Sanchez's scrotum was ripped open during the fall, and one testicle was plucked from him forever, remaining in the ball washer, while the other testicle was compressed and flattened beyond recovery as it was pulled between the housing of the washer, and the rotating machinery inside. To add insult to injury, Sanchez broke a new $300 driver that he had just purchased from the pro shop, and he was using to balance himself. Sanchez was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, and the remaining threesome were asked to leave the course.

ParMaster
1st June 2009, 10:17 PM
I just don't know what to say to that scott.

I experienced so many emotions from Laughter to Disbelief to Nausea.

Quite an interesting read hehe.

Russell
1st June 2009, 11:01 PM
that is absolutely hillarious

3oneday
2nd June 2009, 07:34 AM
At least he can buy another driver.

Flowergirl
2nd June 2009, 01:40 PM
Slight fracture to my ring finger and disclocated two joints in middle finger 4 weeks ago when my electric buggy went feral. Middle finger is still swollen and hurty!!!

Tongueboy
2nd June 2009, 03:26 PM
dip it in something

Jarro
4th December 2009, 11:22 AM
Got a bad case of golfers elbow at the moment.

Not from golf, but from work :(

virge666
4th December 2009, 11:54 AM
OK then, my woeful tale.

2 years ago - I hurt my back lifting crap in the garage. I did some gym work and all seemed ok. I have "re-hurt" it a few times - but not as bad as in early September where I had Sciatica going down my right leg. I am guessing the back had been hurt - and me falling back into old habits didn' help anything. You can see my last swing vid in FNQ to notice how bad the leg drive had become again... :(

So - Late September, In for a L4-L5 discectomy. Out for 3 months. $7K for the Op. Wife pregnant - Due in Christmas.

Had the operation - all good for 3 weeks, felt sensational. Then the bac spasms started.

Ambulance to Manly Hospital, 10mg of Morpheine every hour. Doctor have no idea what it is,

Transfer to Prince of Wales - Doctors think it is Psycological, tell me to get up out of bed and rehabilitate. Small thing being that everytime I get up my hips cannot hold me and they spasm over and over again.

This goes on for three weeks - few tantrums here and there, finally diagnosed with Discitis. Which is basically - infection where the operation was. 6 weeks of IV drip, then 6 weeks of oral Antibiotics.

So end story is - I am out of hostpital in 14 days, Wife is due is 15 days with our second. I can walk again for the first time in 5 weeks, and I am bored shitless in POW hospital, but the golf is on this weekend.

Life is good, still need to get rid of that leg drive !!

Ned
4th December 2009, 12:10 PM
A severe psychotic hoing episode!!!!!:smt087

matty
4th December 2009, 09:26 PM
When I was 14 years old we would run and slide down the hill on the 18th on sneakers with no tread.

On this occasion I fell backwards and put the left arm out. SNAP. Clean break through both bones in the forearm. Will never forget the pain.

Had a cast up to the shoulder. Being a kid, I was climbing fences two weeks later but it took a while to hit a full shot again.

Yossarian
5th December 2009, 01:18 AM
Virge that sounds ****ed mate.

I smacked an iron into my knee today, that hurt a bit.

simmsy
5th December 2009, 01:47 AM
Got a bad case of golfers elbow at the moment.

Not from golf, but from work :(

same here, had it for about 6 months now.
anyone know how long it lasts or how to manage it?

adlo
5th December 2009, 01:50 AM
You can't fight old age mate!! Wear and tear.

razaar
5th December 2009, 07:50 AM
You can't fight old age mate!! Wear and tear.
I've lost that battle.

Jarro
5th December 2009, 09:52 AM

I've been getting a bit of physio at work which seems to help (for a little while)

Thursday i was given a strap to put around my forearm just below the elbow joint, it's designed to take a bit of the stress off the muscles.

Seems to work OK, but still doesn't stop the pain when you impact the ground with the club :(

virge666
5th December 2009, 10:23 AM

Stop wanking and let it heal ?

:)

simmsy
5th December 2009, 06:54 PM
tried that, now both elbows are stuffed.:razz:

Voltaren tabs have been my friend so far.

razaar
5th December 2009, 08:02 PM
Borrow a set with regular graphite shafts and or try tour-fit rubber grips on a few spare clubs and see if these make a difference. That is if you can't stay away from the game and give the injury a chance to heal. Hand and wrist stretches that work the forearm muscles may help to relax the inflammed area and let some blood in to heal it. The stretches are to relax the muscles not cause further pain so go gently. Acupuncture can also help to relax the area and reduce pain. If I was you I'd listen to my body as it is telling you that something is wrong and it needs your attention to get it right.

grandmasterb
10th December 2009, 10:35 PM
My brother had 3 discs replaced which pretty much ended his golfing career.