PDA

View Full Version : How would you raise the profile of Oxley Golf Club?

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 12:53 PM
Oxley Golf Club is looking for ways to raise it's profile amongst the Queensland Golfing Community.

Here is your opportunity to provide some constructive suggestion.

My suggestion would to fence off the course completely to keep the free loaders out, add signage, advertise and close out the public access and raise the fees, say $500 a year from each member.

New gardens/Hazards are being built, new bunkers are being constructed.

Shade sails will be added to the outdoor bar and the old patio is being removed.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

AndyP
29th May 2009, 01:20 PM
My suggestion would to fence off the course completely to keep the free loaders out, add signage, advertise and close out the public access and raise the fees, say $500 a year from each member. Really? The course wouldn't survive without public access?

What exactly do you mean my raise the "profile" anyway? Your suggestions seem to say that it wants to be more exclusive.

LarryLong
29th May 2009, 01:28 PM
Sign up Pauline Hanson as your number 1 female member and run a television ad with the old D-Generation (I think it was) Jimmy Hendrix parody - "Oxley Lady"

Rusty
29th May 2009, 01:59 PM
by "raise the profile", do they want 1. more $, 2. more members, or 3. more prestige, or 4. all of the above?

poidda
29th May 2009, 02:02 PM
Move it out of Oxley for starters.

razaar
29th May 2009, 02:34 PM
Sell it off for housing deveopment, and build another track further south. Having a busy road dividing the course doesn't work these days and it will only get worse. This way everybody will get a new clubhouse and a course designed to modern standards. The existing course was designed in 1928 and remodelled by Burley & Berndt in the 70's and again by Ross Watson in the late 80's....nice track but ... too many issues on the horizon for all Brizzy clubs of this vintage IMO

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 02:42 PM
Really? The course wouldn't survive without public access?

What exactly do you mean my raise the "profile" anyway? Your suggestions seem to say that it wants to be more exclusive.

Not necessarily. But to provide a better facility to the members who would have to pay a little more for there membership.

I'm not saying remove the public completely but limit it. And also continue to cater for the corporate days.

Just take soem of the pressure off the course and the mainteance bill as members always take better care of the course then the public golfer will.

BrettM
29th May 2009, 04:08 PM
But private members want improved standards which means higher fees.

There's no way Oxley would survive as a private club without public access.

gazgolf1
29th May 2009, 04:19 PM
So you want to raise the already overpriced members fees by $500 ?, do you really think people will pay an extra 5 hungy for the privilege of sheet night once a month?

zigwah
29th May 2009, 05:21 PM
topless barmaids?

sms316
29th May 2009, 06:19 PM
Ziggy's best post ever.

Tex
29th May 2009, 07:37 PM
The course is good, I think it is in great condition, sure it lacks the finer, more defined touches around the edges of the general vista as your prestige course has, but that seems to be improving. It certainly faired far better than most other course with the recent deluge. The players (no, low and high handicappers) and staff I have so far met are very friendly and welcoming. I have been surprised at the patients (with me and my wood chopping exploits) of my playing partners in the comps I have played, always helpful with good advice.

But then from past club (non golf) experience I am in that golden period where the cynicism has yet to wash over me personally or my character (familiarity breeds contempt after all).

I don't think raising fees would help, certainly not in the current economical climate, and what are they after 'exclusive', 'elite' hmm. The dress standard is fair but at times a lot of people still seem to push the limits. One thing I think might help (which would obviously require more cash). Is better cart paths and perhaps cheaper cart hire. Is that doable? Beats me - I walk anyways, but that is because of the cart price and the size of my waist.

The road is a pain, but really, is that much of a drama? (except for the commuters dodging my balls).

I have found the idea of price of membership/green fees a funny thing. I have enjoyed a game of golf at expensive 'prestige' clubs but really wonder where the value is for much of it - except to say I played at a really expensive prestige club.

If people walking on are a problem then fencing will not really help, and would be VERY expensive given the layout.

Ultimately the fairways/greens and general course condition over most of the course are very good from my experience. It would be nice to see some of the bare dirt and worse for wear areas with better rough - alternatively I could just hit the fairways verges and greens which are all quite nice.

I could have joined any number of courses that are closer (I am at Rochedale) but all in all Oxley appealled as a good well maintained course, friendly, at a competitive price. The bounus' on joning were also a very high incentive, but not a deal breaker.

All I could think of is a bit more 'razzle dazzle' in the grounds and club house.

Apparently they are still looking at upgrading the club house, shed on the side and car parking areas, a lot of that was put on hold due to the drought and redistribution of finances to sure up water supplies. The investment in the dams was good foresight and will pay dividends in the long run. I heard from good authority that a cash injection for internet booking and on site automated tee times gadgets will likely be voted on in the near future. No more sheet nights - on the other hand the food those nights is GREAT, in value and quality, and they do not get a lot of custom in the bar outside those evenings.

Anyway just my immediate thoughts as a newcomer to the Queensland Golfing Community.

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:13 PM
Yes the new cart Paths are going in as we speak and the bar patches are being repaired. Unfortunately the council wont let us touch the water flood by adding more dams or Creeks.

Apparently the police academy is up for sale. Lets wait and see what happens with that.
I think most of the existing members would be prepared to pay a little more, how much, I'm not sure.

The new online tee time system goes on line in July and the shade sails go up and the old sheds come down in June. You heard it first, Here. No more sheet nights.

So things are looking up.

But as for sell it and going else where I think that would take a Big Dollar developer to offer up some huge money.

The last word is that Oxley is one of only a few financially sound clubs in Brisbane at the moment.

AndyP
29th May 2009, 08:17 PM
topless barmaids?It's not the worst idea. The old Oxley Hotel down the road used to have a topless barmaid night, but now that they have completely rebuilt like a lot of pubs and become more of a restaurant with pokies, I'm sure the titties have gone. Oxley is crying out for booby action.

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:17 PM
How do you think removing veterans and Juniors with a handicap over 18 from the Saturday Competition. Veterans get every other day of the week to play so maybe they should make way for some more 7 Days memberships?

Also the is no joining fees at the moment and I think it is about $1300 a year roughly for 7 days. With payment plans being offered.

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:19 PM
It's not the worst idea. The old Oxley Hotel down the road used to have a topless barmaid night, but now that they have completely rebuilt like a lot of pubs and become more of a restaurant with pokies, I'm sure the titties have gone. Oxley is crying out for booby action.

Not sure they want the type of patron the Old Oxley used to attract, nothing against Boobs, but the object of this thread is to raise it's profile.

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Maybe we need to organise an Ozgolf competition at Oxley GC so those who haven't had the please and those who like the course can see just how challenging Oxley can be. It's in great condition at the moment.

Tex
29th May 2009, 08:22 PM
The Police Academy will be there for another 3 years at least, probably 5+ the Qld Government have run out of dough to move 'em to their new home. Looking at the Financial Reports I got on joining it does appear to be in a fair financial position.

Thanks for the other updates :)

Tex
29th May 2009, 08:25 PM
How do you think removing veterans and Juniors with a handicap over 18 from the Saturday Competition. Veterans get every other day of the week to play so maybe they should make way for some more 7 Days memberships?

Also the is no joining fees at the moment and I think it is about $1300 a year roughly for 7 days. With payment plans being offered.

Saturdays do seem to get packed out - how would that effect the comp fee revenue? Could a mug like me - not a Vet or junior and JUST a couple of strokes over 18.... still play?

AndyP
29th May 2009, 08:28 PM
One major stumbling block for most clubs is the fact that these veterans make up most of the voting, therefore no price hikes and definitely no booting them out of the Saturday comp.

FWIW I live less than 10 minutes drive from Oxley GC and have only played it three times, yet have played Gailes many times.

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:29 PM
To attain the police academy would be nice, they could potentially put in another 9 holes and make it a composite course like Keppera.

zigwah
29th May 2009, 08:30 PM
Not sure they want the type of patron the Old Oxley used to attract, nothing against Boobs, but the object of this thread is to raise it's profile.

U know what they say there is no bad PR

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:32 PM
One major stumbling block for most clubs is the fact that these veterans make up most of the voting, therefore no price hikes and definitely no booting them out of the Saturday comp.

FWIW I live less than 10 minutes drive from Oxley GC and have only played it three times, yet have played Gailes many times.

Nows the time as the course is in the best condition it has been for a long time and with Club Champs starting this week the greens are awesome.

Sunday is an Invitational Blue marker Comp so get you name down and give us a report on Monday.

rodders
29th May 2009, 08:34 PM
U know what they say there is no bad PR

Heard of Matthew Johns Zig?

Diggaboy1
29th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Saturdays do seem to get packed out - how would that effect the comp fee revenue? Could a mug like me - not a Vet or junior and JUST a couple of strokes over 18.... still play?

Sure Could, as I'm sure you could possibly play every day of the week and you I hope for your sake can walk the course and a better pace then some of our good old fellows.

So it was aimed at reducing numbers on a Saturday just the speed of of which the 18 holes are played at. And this would also increased the revenue a little bit. And also reduce membership for those old pensioners by them only having to pay a six day membership.

AndyP
29th May 2009, 10:19 PM
Nows the time as the course is in the best condition it has been for a long time and with Club Champs starting this week the greens are awesome.

Sunday is an Invitational Blue marker Comp so get you name down and give us a report on Monday.
I'm already booked for Sunday. I've always found Gailes to be a more interesting course than Oxley.

razaar
29th May 2009, 10:27 PM
Sure Could, as I'm sure you could possibly play every day of the week and you I hope for your sake can walk the course and a better pace then some of our good old fellows.

So it was aimed at reducing numbers on a Saturday just the speed of of which the 18 holes are played at. And this would also increased the revenue a little bit. And also reduce membership for those old pensioners by them only having to pay a six day membership.

I'd like to see you front up to Gibbsy and the Walton brothers with this suggestion.:shock:

zigwah
31st May 2009, 06:53 PM
Heard of Matthew Johns Zig?

Who knows he might talk abut it in bed with his wife? :roll:

Moe Norman
31st May 2009, 08:11 PM
The course itself is ok, but has no other redeeming features.

markTHEblake
31st May 2009, 08:33 PM
After the big enquiry/survey in to club golf by the AGU a year or two ago, the outcome of that was to give some strategic advice to every club. Which seemed to be in a nutshell to get professional strategic advice :-)

My club got professional advice and was told that the only way they were going to increase revenue and becoome sustainable was to improve "in here not out there", and have embarked on several strategies to improve clubhouse income, like meals and entertainment. And i bet that every other club has been told the same thing.

Have a look at any other successful golf club in qld, and you would probably agree that they are not making their money from golf either. Take City Golf club in Toowoomba for example.

Rusty
2nd December 2009, 12:05 PM
a couple of interesting things from the Oxley website News Area

1. wear your favourite Sports Club Shirt Day! -
-----------------------
Invitation DAY! Sports Theme this Saturday! Wear your favourite Sports Shirt

12/01/2009
This Saturday (05/12/09) Oxley Golf Club is holding its annual Sports Theme Day in conjunction with the Invitation 4BBB Stableford Event. Members and Guests are welcomed and encouraged to wear their favourite Sports Club Shirt on the day.

Members can also take advantage of All Saturday events for December 2009 and January 2010 being Invitation Days. Oxley members can invite a Member from another club to play in the competition of the day for the low price of $10, which includes Green fees and Comp fees.
-----------------------

2. and their ballot system remains for Sat comp times (but then it's a free for all several days later)
-----------------------
How to Book Teetimes Online - A Step by Step guide
Saturday Competitions:
Registering for Saturday Competitions will remain, as in that members will still need to come to OGC's monthly Friday Sheet Night in order to book their games for the following month
The Administration staff will then enter all names into the Online Booking System
Access to the first two Saturdays will be available for access by the first Wedneday of the month and the remaining Saturdays can be accessed by the second Wednesday of the month

-----------------------