PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a...NAME...brand

terryand
5th January 2005, 07:03 PM
In my quest to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron and also have an alternative to the 2 iron,I have been sourcing a hybrid 2 or 3 after the old Cally 5wood I had resafted didn’t go that much higher than my 2 iron.

With the help of a Nudgee and 3oneday I had a few leads on Rescue Mid’s and A Cally Heavenwood on 3onedays advice.

I really didn’t want to wait for one to come across from the US,so while doing a quote on the north side I dropped into HOG.Of course no RM in LH and at a touch under $300 I turned away from them to see the Nickent Hybrids on a stand and a bag full of lefties.

Now normally I would have p$ssed on one if any of you had said give em ago, but then I remembered one of the guys I play with at Windaroo (and he plays off 4) has a #2 and has hit it great every time I have seen him use it.

He doesn’t carry a 3 wood and I have seen him hit it as far as my 3wood a couple of times.

So I thought what the heck, asked the guy how much, and got him down to $180 from $199.
OK that’ll do I thought and decided on a #2 @17 degrees, stiff graphite shaft.

Hit a bucket of balls at the range last night and it seemed to fit in between the 3wood and 3iron like I wanted.

Played Caboolture with Jarro and Damo today and got to hit it twice. First time was off the tee on a short par 4 and didn’t hit it real good but it went straight and still went about 180m, so I thought not too bad considering.

The next was on a par 5 for my second, around 230ish out we figured and down wind a bit. I was going to hit 3wood and thought no I’ll give the hybrid ago.

Well holy crap, I pulled it a bit and ended up past the green and only about 20m away from a water hazard. Very glad I didn’t hit the 3wood the way I was hitting it today.

I was very happy with the ball flight and how high it went. I think after 2 hits on course and a half a bucket of balls this club seems to be doing what I want from it. Now to see if it will do what I am hoping it will do around Windaroo.

So who needs to spend a heap of money on one of the big names, this K-Mart special looks like it is going to fill the gap I was hoping it would.

Terry.

goughy
5th January 2005, 07:08 PM
Well done tez. Another vote for the use what works crowd. Hope she keeps kicking butt for ya.

markTHEblake
5th January 2005, 07:25 PM
Terry. I hit my 14 degree hybrid further than any 3w i have ever hit.
(well matter of fact i can hit a 6 iron further than a 3w)

off the tee i consistently hit this club over 200+ and becuase its always a low draw i get a lot of run. Its not unusual to hit 250 or so with this baby - and i cant hardly hit a driver further than that regardless of conditions.

davidp
5th January 2005, 08:11 PM
Tezza, those Nickents are a rock solid club. You got a good deal on it as they are going in the States for about $USD 75 with a steel shaft. Factor in shipping and the exchange rate and you've done pretty well.

The stock graphite shaft is pretty good, I think it's made by UST. I was trying to get one from the States, but no-one in the Swap Shops were giving theirs up.

Congrats on finding a club that fits you. It's always a confidence booster. :D

Fishman Dan
5th January 2005, 11:10 PM
I've heard good things about Nickent hybrids, but generally crap about Nickent clubs. Go figure.

I still fancy a MaxFli EzyDrive would be my entry into the hybrid state of affairs, > $100 and heard some success stories.

cazandpaul
6th January 2005, 05:32 AM
Terry - I've been using the Nickent hybrid nos 3 & 5 for a while now (as my long irons are not that great :oops: ) and am very happy with them - they are a very versatile club. I was originally going to get TM but at half the price they weren't twice as good.

Caz has a full set of Nickent irons which haven't hurt her game - also has 3, 5 and 7 wood which are awesome but the driver sucks so she is going through the process with her teacher for a new one - Fusion looks like the winner at the moment.

The guy that set up Nickent was the head designer at Callaway so he should have a few clues.

3oneday
6th January 2005, 07:08 AM
There is also the Synchron Synergy 3 and 4 that Ben sells. I had the 3 in my bag for quite a while, it took a few changes to force it out, but it's still in the closet ready.

These are only around $50 or $60 with a steel shaft.

Pete

AndyP
6th January 2005, 08:39 AM
I still fancy a MaxFli EzyDrive would be my entry into the hybrid state of affairs, > $100 and heard some success stories.
You mean < $100, right?

I'm not having any problems with my 22°. I've been using it a bit off the tee recently, as I am having some troubles with the 3 wood. It gets it up nice and high, and I seem to be hitting a nice draw with it most of the time. 8)

Certainly not a name brand, but it is getting the job done.

A-Lo is selling his 19° Ezydrive at the moment. Wanna buy it? ;)

Jarro
6th January 2005, 09:16 AM
.. ask Damoocow what he thinks of the EzyDrive :roll:

AndyP
6th January 2005, 09:48 AM
.. ask Damoocow what he thinks of the EzyDrive :roll:
But can he play any other hybrid?
Nope, he's a 7 wood man. ;)

McMw
6th January 2005, 06:34 PM
not sure how popl nickent is in aus...but it's doing pretty well in asia...esp with those who can't afford tm, ping, titleist etcetc....

damoocow
6th January 2005, 08:24 PM
Ezi-drive posted off yesterday to ebay buyer - made a loss but happy to be rid of it - hiitting the 7 wood like a treat and vowed off hybrids - until I saw Tezza's Nickent - he only hit it twice but it was worth the price of admission - only $180 - no stop it damo - stop right now.

damoocow

Jarro
7th January 2005, 08:53 AM
the thing i noticed most about the Nickent hybrids was how heavy they were :shock: ... heaps heavier than the TaylorMade rescue mids.

Fishman Dan
7th January 2005, 09:46 AM
A-Lo is selling his 19° Ezydrive at the moment. Wanna buy it? ;)

Has he played it off the deck?? :roll:

ben
7th January 2005, 10:47 AM
nickent is the #1 utility used on the nationwide tour. these guys don't get the sponsorship $$$ so they have to play what works.