PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for making swing changes

edhannan
25th May 2009, 11:21 PM
I know many are not members of the Butch Harmon fan club, but consider his ideas about making swing changes here: http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2009/03/harmonrules?currentPage=1

Anything you would add or subtract from his list?
What has worked well for you?

razaar
26th May 2009, 03:24 AM
Ed
High profile teachers such as Harmon really only state the obvious when making statements about the golf swing. IMO golfers making changes to their swing should spend 90% of their work on that part of the swing where the shaft is parallel to the ground on the backswing (quarter turn) to shoulder high on the through swing. Why...because that is the only part of the swing that really matters. Get this area sorted out and the rest takes care of itself.

Scottt
26th May 2009, 06:25 AM
Razaar, isn't what happens from impact to shoulder-high on the through swing just a result of what is done leading up to that?

Wouldn't energy be better spent looking at grip and stance, takeaway, transition and impact positions?

What happens after impact that is more important than those four elements?

razaar
26th May 2009, 06:52 AM
No mate, the quarter swing covers pretty much everything: it makes you focus on the real meat of the swing and clubface control. I found the more time I put into working on the quarter swing, the more reliable my swing became. One of the interesting thinks about practicing the quarter swing is the increase in power I got from ripping through the ball from a quarter backswing, made me use my legs,hips and torso much more efficient.

edhannan
26th May 2009, 07:56 PM
Many golfers are knowledgeable enough to identify swing problems that call for changes. Far fewer can distinguish between causes and symptoms. (Many teaching pros are not very good at it either.) Fewer still know to go about fixing the cause.
Razaar's approach has lots of merit. Being sound from delivery position to follow through is all good, and practising the quarter swing seems an excellent way for golfers to get insight to other aspects of their swing.
But Scott's comment speaks well for those who can't seem to get to a decent delivery position. The most frustrating thing for them is that their quarter swing practice might go very well. But their full swing is still full of holes.

virge666
27th May 2009, 08:07 AM
I agree with both Ed and Razaar.

Celebrity coaches can only state the bleeding obvious. Anyone who watches the PGA tour on TV will see Leadbetter do a segment on tuition. It would have to be the dumbest segment ever put on TV, where nothing is really offered.

#2 is that most people can see a fault in a golf swing - but very few and i mean very few indeed can fix the cause. Me included. The only way to sort this out IMHO is to practice and focus on the fundementals - which is as Razaar says - the quarter swing and clubface control.

What TGM call "Educating the hands"

trying to fix a full swing doesn't work
trying to fix your driver swing doesn't work.

It is always something simple and it is always to do with impact.

Lucasto23
27th May 2009, 09:51 AM
Ed
High profile teachers such as Harmon really only state the obvious when making statements about the golf swing. IMO golfers making changes to their swing should spend 90% of their work on that part of the swing where the shaft is parallel to the ground on the backswing (quarter turn) to shoulder high on the through swing. Why...because that is the only part of the swing that really matters. Get this area sorted out and the rest takes care of itself.

razaar,

so i can get a better mental image, i take the club back to hip height and swing through to shoulder height to do this qtr swing drill?

razaar
27th May 2009, 10:30 AM
Best to use a sand iron or pw for this drill. Takeaway is to where the shaft is parallel with the ground and parallel with the ball to target line (if you are set up square the the target). The shoulders have turned about 40* with no hip turn. I try to have pressure on my right heel and on the ball of my left foot with no hip turn. IMO this is the position you should find yourself in ( weight shifted onto the left foot) with the transfer of weight to the left on a full swing before the hips and torso turn or pivot towards the target.

The through swing move in the quarter drill is not to use the arms or hands but to use the legs to turn the hips and torso with the top and lower body staying connected. You will find that it is impossible to turn the hips too quickley if everything is connected. The arms should extend out to the target to shoulder height (keep them together). If you are anything like me you will find your purest strikes occur when you stay perfectly centred and your left wrist is flat and the right wrist flexed through impact. I find it a great drill to work on centreing, hand positions, posture, staying connected, takeaway, weight shift and sequencing, follow through positions (arms separated for a fade, close together for a straight shape, right over left for a draw).

PS:
I should add that Adlo put me on to doing the drill with a straw broom (without a ball of course).

virge666
27th May 2009, 10:35 AM
Love it Razaar

:smt038

Top Stuff... the punters won't do it for more than 5-10 shots though, and that is why they won't get better.

They will go out and buy some new clubs and see if that fixes it ... :shock:

moree golfer
27th May 2009, 11:03 AM
Raz, I am correct in assuming you perform this drill with a ball? Thanks for the drill Razaar I will be giving it a go (for more than 5-10 shots hopefully). I take it the resulting shot is important to note the direction/flight of the ball.

razaar
27th May 2009, 11:34 AM
Raz, I am correct in assuming you perform this drill with a ball? Thanks for the drill Razaar I will be giving it a go (for more than 5-10 shots hopefully). I take it the resulting shot is important to note the direction/flight of the ball.
Hell yes, smash it. With a sand iron or wedge there shouldn't be much turn on the ball because the backspin with these clubs tends to negate side spin. Don't let the hands cut in to the left pass the ball, hate seeing golfers do that.

virge666
27th May 2009, 11:51 AM
Would you add "A flat left wrist" to this drill ?

Bruce
27th May 2009, 12:42 PM
The drill Razaar describes is what Willow has me working on lately.

razaar
27th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Would you add "A flat left wrist" to this drill ?
You betcha, one of the main things I work on during takeaway and not changing anything during the through swing, Virge. The broom is good for this.:)

just
27th May 2009, 01:00 PM
The pro at Nudgee, Gary Warburton, has me doing something similar, to get my legs driving. I have been practising in the shed with a pitching wedge and I seem to be striking the ball better. I also haven't been getting enough upper body turn through the backswing leading to an out to in swing causing my pulls, or at least thats what I think he said.

virge666
27th May 2009, 01:23 PM
The pro at Nudgee, Gary Warburton, has me doing something similar, to get my legs driving.

Please don't say this. The Legs do not drive, they do not slide - they just support the rotation of the upper body.

We just want you to take the club back to Parallel and then rotate the body.

just
27th May 2009, 01:32 PM
Virge
Thats probably not what he actually said, rather my interpretation of it. On reflection, he said something closer to your version. I have a short attention span.

virge666
27th May 2009, 01:57 PM
Virge
Thats probably not what he actually said, rather my interpretation of it. On reflection, he said something closer to your version. I have a short attention span.

All good, just wanted to clarify.

:)

edhannan
27th May 2009, 02:22 PM
Once you are making pretty consistent contact, it might be helpful to combine Razaar's drill and the nine ball drill described in the Zigawah's journey thread.

razaar
27th May 2009, 02:29 PM
I wonder what Butchy has Adam Scott working on....whatever it is he is struggling. Reminescent of Baker-Finch when he made a few changes.

razaar
27th May 2009, 03:24 PM
The drill Razaar describes is what Willow has me working on lately.
I cottoned on to this drill by endlessly watching videos of Ben Hogan hitting wedge and 9-iron shots. His hands are just past waist height on full shots with these clubs; they only just get to shoulder level with the driver. I have concluded that he must have been extremely strong in the left side of his body compared to his right side which is the exact opposite to normal right handed golfers.:?

dhills2
27th May 2009, 04:02 PM
Razaar, Virge... thoroughly enjoying your posts on this thread... please keep them coming. Just a quick question - when I'm practising Razaar's drill (ie. takeaway to shoulder high on follow through concentrating on staying connected with FLW), what would be a good swing thought to help me stay connected?

My coach tells me to visualise a link between the butt of the club and my left hip... your thoughts? I find myself also thinking about getting my right hip turning through - exact same thing right?

For FLW... would it be crazy if I slapped on a wrist watch and stuck a pencil in there to assist?

Apologies in advance if I'm asking silly questions but I would really like to get this drill clear in my head so I am not wasting my time & so I am giving myself a chance of becoming a better ballstriker! Thanks fellas.

razaar
27th May 2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry mate to get this info you will have to buy my book "Razaar's Ratsh1t Drills" - just kidding.:) Staying connected means good posture. With good posture your body can coil in sequence i.e. when we coil our shoulders, muscles down the left side of the back stretch (right side muscles contract) which reacts on the hips. At full coil the hips turn back first and the stretched left side muscles uncoil the shoulders. The arms are pulled along with the shoulders with the right elbow returning to the body to keep the clubhead on the inside of the ball. The quarter drill coils the shoulders stretching the back muscles to that point just before the hips start to coil. By turning the hips around to the left the shoulders will uncoil so that when the shoulders are square to the ball/target line the hips will be facing approx 40* towards the target, thereby retaining their position in relation to the shoulders before the club started the through swing. A position which is a common fundamental with every pro on tour.

dhills2
27th May 2009, 06:52 PM
thanks mate, ill buy the book when it comes out :)

henno
27th May 2009, 07:16 PM
Had a crack at this drill at the range tonight. It worked a treat. Ater 50 or so balls, I stepped up to a full-swinging 6 iron, then 4 iron, then up through the clubs to driver with nice baby draws all the way. Then, without warning, back to girly slices with the driver. So back down the clubs again, the slice stays all the way, although more like a high cut through the short irons.

Once back at wedge, I started the drill again and like magic all was cured again back up the clubs for a time, then the same result. I think I am fighting my brain's muscle memory of some dodgy swing that seems to have settled firmly in there.

Regardless, great drill!

PeteyD
27th May 2009, 07:33 PM
Is Razaar's dril the 9-3 drill, or is it even a smaller swing than that?

henno
27th May 2009, 07:41 PM
Is Razaar's dril the 9-3 drill, or is it even a smaller swing than that?

I was doing it smaller than the 9-3. :smt102

PeteyD
27th May 2009, 08:15 PM
ok.

adlo
27th May 2009, 08:21 PM
More or less 9-3 Petey.

Raz, I have been working on this drill as you know. Using the broom as well. It has taught me to drive through the hitting zone like I had never known before.

However, on the course it is SHANKSVILLE with the irons and a weak cut with the driver (assuming it is out of the heel). However, on the chipping green (ie small swings) it feels great and contact is pure.

Any ideas? I don't think I can handle another round of golf shanking almost every iron.

razaar
27th May 2009, 08:40 PM
More or less 9-3 Petey.

Raz, I have been working on this drill as you know. Using the broom as well. It has taught me to drive through the hitting zone like I had never known before.

However, on the course it is SHANKSVILLE with the irons and a weak cut with the driver (assuming it is out of the heel). However, on the chipping green (ie small swings) it feels great and contact is pure.

Any ideas? I don't think I can handle another round of golf shanking almost every iron.

At a guess I would say that you are not staying centred on your full swings. At address make sure your body angle leans slightly to the right, you may have to move your hips a little to the left to get in the right address position. It should feel that the leftside is stretched and the right is slightly crumpled. Make sure your coil preserves this angle well into the follow through. The usual centreing techniques should be checked - right leg and knee maintain their address positions in the backswing and the left side of the face is held to the right side of the ball until right shoulder hits chin or pases under it. Being tall you will find this more difficult than a short person.

adlo
27th May 2009, 08:46 PM
Bummer :)

Cheers Ray. Will get to work on it tomorrow.

PeteyD
27th May 2009, 08:49 PM
You make it all sound so hard Ray. Move 1" closer to the ball Adlo. See if that makes a difference.

Yossarian
27th May 2009, 08:50 PM
At a guess I would say that you are not staying centred on your full swings. At address make sure your body angle leans slightly to the right, you may have to move your hips a little to the left to get in the right address position. It should feel that the leftside is stretched and the right is slightly crumpled. Make sure your coil preserves this angle well into the follow through. The usual centreing techniques should be checked - right leg and knee maintain their address positions in the backswing and the left side of the face is held to the right side of the ball until right shoulder hits chin or pases under it. Being tall you will find this more difficult than a short person.

I was going to say that yesterday but couldn't find the right words :D

adlo
27th May 2009, 08:53 PM
You make it all sound so hard Ray. Move 1" closer to the ball Adlo. See if that makes a difference.
Closer to the ball when hitting shanks? Are you crazy?

I was going to say that yesterday but couldn't find the right words :D
:lol:

PeteyD
27th May 2009, 08:57 PM
Closer to the ball when hitting shanks? Are you crazy?

Not at all. It is likely you are not staying centred as Ray points out. You are possibly losing balance and because of this you have to reach for the ball --> shank. Stand 1" closer (and make sure the ball is not too far forward).

Just try it and see. If you are chipping with good impact you just have to make that swing bigger with as few changes as possible.

adlo
27th May 2009, 08:58 PM
OK, will try.

razaar
27th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Adam I should have added the comment that not much can go wrong with your swing except at address. 90% of problems will be caused by faults at address. Tall golfers seem to fall into the habit of level shoulders at address ( forget to make allowance for the right hand being below the left), add a bit of tightness or control from the right side and its over the top (outside the ball) on every shot. The only way to correct this habit is as my previous post plus keeping the arms soft especially the right (right elbow should be bent in to the body). It will take lots of work and perserverance to get this right mate because everything feels so different; something to work on with the quarter drill.

adlo
27th May 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks as always Razzar

rebjon
27th May 2009, 10:00 PM
Adam I should have added the comment that not much can go wrong with your swing except at address. 90% of problems will be caused by faults at address. Tall golfers seem to fall into the habit of level shoulders at address ( forget to make allowance for the right hand being below the left), add a bit of tightness or control from the right side and its over the top (outside the ball) on every shot. The only way to correct this habit is as my previous post plus keeping the arms soft especially the right (right elbow should be bent in to the body). It will take lots of work and perserverance to get this right mate because everything feels so different; something to work on with the quarter drill.

This is sounding rather familiar.....:smt038

adlo
27th May 2009, 10:12 PM
Are you trying to say something there rebjon?

rebjon
27th May 2009, 11:28 PM

Actually it is more this quote.....

Axis tilt ala GE

razaar
28th May 2009, 02:03 PM
Actually it is more this quote.....

Axis tilt ala GE
Rebjon this has been a fundamental of the golf swing since golfers have played the game. Abe Mitchell (a renowned author of instruction books) in his book "Down to Scratch" published in 1933 states that the left shoulder should be up at address. Bobby Jones kept a meticulous diary of his thoughts on the game during years when he was at his peak, 1927 to 1935. During those years he was contracted to write a column two times a week for the Bell Syndicate, which if added together would equal five average novels. Readers Digest published a collection of these articles in 1966 which was edited by the great man himself. Most modern fundamentals can be traced back to Bobby Jone's articles. Please don't go on about GE as if he is the originator of the golf swing.

rebjon
28th May 2009, 06:54 PM
Rebjon this has been a fundamental of the golf swing since golfers have played the game. Abe Mitchell (a renowned author of instruction books) in his book "Down to Scratch" published in 1933 states that the left shoulder should be up at address. Bobby Jones kept a meticulous diary of his thoughts on the game during years when he was at his peak, 1927 to 1935. During those years he was contracted to write a column two times a week for the Bell Syndicate, which if added together would equal five average novels. Readers Digest published a collection of these articles in 1966 which was edited by the great man himself. Most modern fundamentals can be traced back to Bobby Jone's articles. Please don't go on about GE as if he is the originator of the golf swing.

That was a stupid thing to say....:roll: Great way to gain friends and influence people.....

When did I start going on about GE ! I made 1 comment...:smt093 I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE HE IS THE ORIGINATOR OF THE GOLF SWING.

If my 2 liner about GE is enough for you to believe I think GE is the originator of the golf swing then you clearly outdone you self using 9 lines to show you think BJ or Abe Mitchell is the originator of the golf swing when clearly they are not.....

The conversation between aldo and I on this thread is further discussion that you were NOT privy too (on course) and we were discussing GE...... What you said that I quoted you on was exactly what Adlo and I had been discussing in relation to the GE setup......

I was actually beginning to like what you were saying about the golf swing but pfffft........

adlo
28th May 2009, 06:59 PM
Chill out Rebjon

Iain
28th May 2009, 06:59 PM
So why continue a private conversation on a public forum??

rebjon
28th May 2009, 07:08 PM
Chill out Rebjon

No Raaza does not know me from a bar of soap i make one comment and get spoken too like a little child and that I can't contribute to the discussion becuase I have knowledge of a certain golf coach...

BTW Raaza i'm actually TGM schooled......

rebjon
28th May 2009, 07:10 PM
So why continue a private conversation on a public forum??

No it isn't private he wasn't privy to it at the time....

And because it was relevant to what we were discussing, its supporting evidence in regards to what i have been discussing..

People have and expand on private conversations on public forums including here all the time....

henno
28th May 2009, 07:12 PM
The conversation between aldo and I on this thread is further discussion that you were NOT privy too (on course)

No it isn't private he wasn't privy to it at the time.....

Um.. what?

So confuzzled...

PeteyD
28th May 2009, 07:14 PM
I'll say. When you playing with Ray again Henno?

henno
28th May 2009, 07:16 PM
I'll say. When you playing with Ray again Henno?

Adams? I'm not. He had to pull out, apparently.

just
28th May 2009, 07:23 PM
To be fair Ray was a little off topic and condescending. But ****, who on here isn't, except possibly Flowergirl.

rebjon
28th May 2009, 07:24 PM
Um.. what?

So confuzzled...

The conversation wasn't private......as Ian made out....

Razza just wasn't privy to it becasue he wasn't there....

The point is the only reason GE was mentioned is becuase Aldo and I were talking about him (on course).

I did not mention or make out that he is originator of the golf swing as alleged by Razza from my 2 line comment....

adlo
28th May 2009, 07:30 PM
I agree with Just that Raz's comments seemed like an overreaction, but anyway, enough tanty's for the day.

Move on.

just
28th May 2009, 07:33 PM
Move on.
Exactly! Now aboot Gary Edwin....

adlo
28th May 2009, 07:38 PM
Exactly! Now aboot Gary Edwin....

GE makes lots of internet money

rebjon
28th May 2009, 07:45 PM

GE makes lots of internet money

:smt038

Jono
28th May 2009, 09:39 PM
Can GE break 80 regularly?

Sorry, off topic ... :p

adlo
28th May 2009, 09:40 PM
Can GE break 80 regularly?

Sorry, off topic ... :p
He could explain why he can't......

Jono
28th May 2009, 10:00 PM
He could explain why he can't......

Ha Ha, good one.

adlo
28th May 2009, 11:04 PM
I hate trying to make swing changes. I am really struggling to hit the ball consistently at the moment trying to work on a few things.

I find the hardest thing is not having someone standing there and providing feedback. You can "feel" like you are doing something differently, but it doesn't mean you actually are.

I hate this game some days.

Scottt
28th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Adlo, in a column recently, Butch Harmon was saying if you can feel that you are doing it right while changing, you probably aren't.

I have done some overhauling with Virge as my guide, and I have had my best results working on one thing at a time until I was happy I had it sorted.

Posture, then grip, now takeaway...

Maybe it's a coincidence that Virge broached them with me in this way, but the bloke is such a f**king swing genius that it probably isn't.

adlo
28th May 2009, 11:51 PM
Agreed Scottt, the main struggle is resisting the temptation to relapse into the old problems because it was comfortable.

Scottt
29th May 2009, 12:05 AM
Exactly. Trusting it on the range is one thing, but with 130m over water ti a tight pin... you have to be strong. It is worth it in the end.

adlo
29th May 2009, 12:52 AM
Can't even trust it on the range yet..... :roll:

razaar
29th May 2009, 06:48 AM
Henno...I keep getting the feeling that somebody is looking over my right shoulder.:shock:

razaar
29th May 2009, 06:50 AM
Forget about it Rebjon, I have. No issues here.
PS: suggestion - when next you hit the "quote" and post be sure to identify in your post who it is intended for if it is not the originator of the quote.

rebjon
29th May 2009, 06:24 PM
Forget about it Rebjon, I have. No issues here.
PS: suggestion - when next you hit the "quote" and post be sure to identify in your post who it is intended for if it is not the originator of the quote.

Yep NP

I was only supporting your suggestion to aldo in the first place....

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Aldo, I'll give you the best tip you could get. Swing harder. Swinging as slow and easy as you do makes it very tough to keep everything in sequence. You are a giant, it is not natural to swing as easy as you do.

Scottt
29th May 2009, 11:50 PM
JC, I was re-reading Hogan's 5 Lessons the other day and he said the same thing - that too slow a swing within your capabilities will lead you you trying to "steer" the ball and send you off line. Even if you grip down or take a shorter backswing, you still need to come through impact with intent.

At least that's what Mr Hogan said...

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Nice. My first Ben Hogan comparison!

Aldo is a giant, my height, outweighs me by 15kilos and uses clubs aboot 4 stages lower in stiffness.

When he wants to crank it, he can.

I know from my experiences, it is much easier hitting 5 percent harder than 5 percent softer. As soon as I slow down, everything starts to crumble.

He's not my buddy, guy.

Scottt
30th May 2009, 12:03 AM
I heard he can get that 8 hybrid of his home from 150m out. :lol: That's impressive!

adlo
30th May 2009, 12:22 AM
JC, I know what you are saying and I agree, I need to power up the swing.

But that presents some issues with the swing I have currently got. It makes for a hard, armsy swing, which lacks controlled power and consistency.

And I doubt you are 15kgs lighter than me, fwend.

just
30th May 2009, 06:21 AM
Ray/Virge
Have you got strategies for making putting changes? For example, say I get to the green of a par 5 in two (not very likely in my case, I grant you), I start thinking about the awesome eagle chance I have, and then promptly 4 or 5 putt. How do I stop this happening?

Scottt
30th May 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm not Ray or Virge, but I will buy in.

Stop trying to hole the eagle/birdie putt. Instead, picture a circle with a two-foot diameter around the hole and aim to roll your ball into that.

Weight is your main concern, because other than on the funkiest green, you shouldn't have too many dramas getting your line withing two feet of what is correct, but more often you will leave a putt 5-6ft short or long.

Some will still drop, and those that don't will finish closer.

Of course this completely fails to address putting technique, aside than I have had great success, as have many I have shared this tip with, making 3-5 footers for fun by focusing on keeping the putter face moving towards the hole for as long as possible after impact. It encourages a stroke through the ball, and reinforces that the attention should be on a smooth stroke, not "hitting" the putt.

Just one man's opinion.

razaar
30th May 2009, 06:56 AM
It's been my experience that three putting is caused by errors of distance not direction. Maybe you are focusing too much on the line and not on pace. That said it is difficult to guage pace if one doesn't hit the sweet spot regularly. When I was really focusing on the game in the 80's, I would use two rubber bands around the putter face about 8mm apart on either side of the sweet spot (centre of gravity) when practicing putting. To locate the horizontal sweet spot hang the putter at shoulder height and tap the face with your finger or a pencil. Mark the spot where the putter goes straight back without twisting on the top line. The vertical sweet spot will be on this line towards the centre depending on the design of the putter. To find this spot hit putts with the blade at varying heights off the putting surface. The sweet feeling off the face will give feedback where it is. Note how high the blade has to be off the ground to hit this spot and change your putting routine to lift the putter off the ground to this height as a prelude to drawing the putter back.

Routine (example)
Line up putter 10mm behind ball at target with right hand and set posture and stance. Assume putting grip checking target line. This is the "get ready" part of the routine.
Lift the putter, this is the "get set" part.
Pull the trigger, this is the "go" part.
Stay very still and focus on the spot where the ball sat until the ball is well on its way.

Iain
30th May 2009, 07:37 AM
Ray/Virge
Have you got strategies for making putting changes? For example, say I get to the green of a par 5 in two (not very likely in my case, I grant you), I start thinking about the awesome eagle chance I have, and then promptly 4 or 5 putt. How do I stop this happening?

Get Bob Rotella's book, putting out of your mind. It basically states the opposite of Scottt, try to hole everything, that way your miss will become closer. If you just try and get it in a circle your misses will become bigger and bigger.

PeteyD
31st May 2009, 09:33 AM
I agree with Dr Bob and Iain. Not aiming for the hole on a putt seems pretty dopey. I don't 3 putt that often, and it is usually cos of careless short buggers.

virge666
10th June 2009, 05:28 PM
Ray/Virge

Putting is 2 things... LINE and LENGTH.

Practice them seperatley.