PDA

View Full Version : Graphite to steel in irons

Davemason
4th January 2005, 02:34 PM
A question :?:
A mate of mine has a set of irons with graphite shafts in them and wants to change to steel shafts , I think he can't do it as I've been told that there it is a weight problem, I've been told there is different weighted heads for steel shafts and graphite sharfts. Can any one shed some light , please.

davidp
4th January 2005, 04:59 PM
Dave, I don't think so.

All the specs for heads I've seen from component companies are uniform: they don't have different weight heads for graphite & steel.

What you will usually find, is that graphite-shafted clubs are a little longer in finished length than steel-shafted clubs. I think this is done to boost the swingweight of the club, as graphite shafts are usually (but not always) lighter than steel shafts. By boosting the swingweight, the player feels he / she is swinging something more substantial.

The weight of a head can be boosted by lead tape, weights inserted into a specially made hosel port (if available) or tungsten / lead powder. Best performed by a clubfitter.

Given the costs of retooling a production line to make two different weighted heads, this works out far more economical for the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Davemason
4th January 2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks for that Davidp I think at the time that I was told that the guy in the pro shop wanted to sell me a new set of clubs instead of reshafting my old ones which he did.

McMw
4th January 2005, 06:33 PM
going from grap to steel...prob a natural progression thru either nippon steel or other lite weight steel shafts...