PDA

View Full Version : Quick L4V Review

oz
24th May 2009, 04:40 PM
Played my first round with my new Cobra L4V yesterday.

It is a 9* (F speed rated) head, with the stock Diamana Red 57g Stiff shaft.

Here are my impressions:

Forgiveness: Unbelievable. Simply put, you can hit it almost anywhere on the face, and get good results. The ball starts on a good line consistently. Little fade or draw (note: shaft exception following) to speak of.

Feel: A bit harsh. This is mostly the infamous Cobra noise. This thing is loud, no doubt, but it's not as irritating or tinny as some others.

Ballflight: High and higher. No hassles getting the ball up wth this combo.

Length: I have an issue with the shaft. I feel that I a struggling with the softer tipped shaft (I am used to stout shafts like the V2, ProLite, BiMatrx etc.), and I am getting too much spin with this. The softer shaft is leading to some ballooning (usually with a slightly open clubface, too) with my swing, and that results in mediocre distance. Nothing miserable, but the ballooing ballflight kills any run for me.

Overall: It is hard to hit this thing too far off line. I like the look of the head (yes - it is big), which is pretty neutral to the eye, and it's sits nicely behind the ball.

I may consider changing the shaft, but being lazy, I may jus tseek a trade in the Pro Shop here, or flog it on Ebay, and then pick up somehting with a bit more grunt in the shaft.

If I had to keep this in the bag, I would certainly live OK with it. Hitting more fairways is rarely a bad thing, right?

Grunt
24th May 2009, 04:42 PM
Still loving my L4V

TheNuclearOne
24th May 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm actually mucking around with one now for cheap silly fun. The stock shafts are woeful for most. I'm looking at putting a PL Red in, stout shaft with a stiff tip. Right weight too, the Cobra head is so heavy you have to be careful what weight shaft you put in. The stocko is 57 odd grams AND counterbalanced yet still hits the SW norm. They are commonly 208 grams. A lot of people put 70 odd grammers in and play them shorter or go the tip stiff light 60's route.

damoocow
24th May 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm with Grunt - still loving my L4V ! - I have heard that the 'Cobra' Diamana is a shitty shaft but it seems to suit me fine, and I'm enjoying playing my 2nd from the fairway !

TheNuclearOne
24th May 2009, 10:04 PM
Mate, if you're one of the minority that love the stock shaft half ya luck. The L4V is almost legendary for ease of use and straightness. It brought the driver back into the hands of many that could not use it or had given up on it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the F can do for me with a well chosen shaft. I found the X one of the most anti left drivers i have used, to the point where it was too much for me.