PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendations

kingslayer33
23rd May 2009, 11:17 PM
Was looking at getting a GPS for my father's upcoming birthday present. He has a month in the old country in July and August so a unit that has UK courses as some form of loadable option would be handy.

Ease of use, because he has been known to struggle with the TV and Foxtel remotes, could be handy too.

Anybody have any recommendations?

WATiger
3rd June 2009, 11:38 PM
I would actually be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on the GPS for golf. Has anyone got one, has anyone used one. which is the best all round model??

CobraSS
4th June 2009, 01:30 PM
I have a Sonocaddie V300, great unit.

kingslayer33
4th June 2009, 03:22 PM
I have a Sonocaddie V300, great unit.

Looks like I have narrowed search down to either Sonocaddie v300 or a callaway model called the upro. The upro looks the ducks n&ts but doesn't have many of the courses I need to load for my father's Scotland trip. On the otherhand most are on the sonocaddie.

Does anyone (CobraSS or M3J obviously have sonocaddies) have any experience with how good the manufacturers are at uploading requested courses? Those who map from aerial and satellite imagery seem to claim less than a week turnaround. Is this realistic?

CobraSS
4th June 2009, 05:54 PM
Haven't made such a request myself without supplying them with the required data, I have mapped 11 courses for them (got paid $100 a course during their incentive program that just finished).

They did up a colour map for my home course, with the gps data and aerial photo supplied by me, and had it up on the site in few days. They made a few mistakes which they are in the process of fixing.

Have given them a few other aerials with fairways and greens marked (via google earth) and my gps mapping, haven't checked if they have been uploaded yet, that was a few weeks ago, but I expect that they have many to do given the incentive program just finished.

They are pretty good to deal with, so I expect they would do up a colour map of any course reasonably quickly, along as they could get the required info, obviously a course physically mapped on the ground is going to better than one done off just satellite imagery.

WATiger
4th June 2009, 10:07 PM
The upro looks the ducks n&ts but doesn't have many of the courses I need to load for my father's Scotland trip.

That was the one I was looking at, it does look excellent.

23Rounder
4th June 2009, 10:14 PM
Get a rangefinder instead, then you can play any course you want without planning ahead

kingslayer33
4th June 2009, 10:30 PM
Get a rangefinder instead, then you can play any course you want without planning ahead

the couple of UK courses I have played would have been useless with a rangefinder. Mainly because you can stand on the tee and have almost no idea what is the fairway you should be aiming at. ;)

orskhammer
6th June 2009, 05:59 PM
Heya, I use a SureShot GPS. Its great, has really strong course base and easy to use. You have to pay an annual fee to download additional courses, but its cheap (for unlimited course download. You get 3 for free when you buy the unit). I don't have a problem with that because it means good ongoing support and pro mapped courses, but I can see why some wouldnt like that.

Has lots of UK courses too. Lent mine to my brother inlaw 6 months ago when he went on business. He said it was great.