PDA

View Full Version : IBF Contemplates a comeback

Eag's
3rd January 2005, 08:32 PM
British Open winner Ian Baker-Finch is contemplating a return to tournament golf eight years after walking away from the game.

Baker-Finch, who has been pursuing a career as a golf commentator on US television, believes he can get back to a competitive level and hopes to play some tournaments in Australasia this year.

"I just want to see where I am," Baker-Finch told US magazine Golf Digest. "It's better to do that now than to delude myself for six years before I'm eligible for the Champions Tour."

"As I get later on into my 40s, I'll play more and more," Baker-Finch said.

"I'd like to play some events on tour, the smaller events, or maybe the Colonial or a Nationwide Tour event or a couple back in Australia. When I get to 50, I'd like to really try to compete on the Champions Tour."

While he doubts he could reach the heights of Royal Birkdale in 1991, where he won his only major, he believes he has a better perspective on the game.

"I never really liked the look of my swing, which is strange, because when I look at it now it was actually pretty good," Baker-Finch said.

"It just didn't look like the other great swings. The thing is, you've got to believe in yourself."

"The frightening thing was, there were days when I could play really well, then the next day I'd hit three drives out-of-bounds and two in the water," Baker-Finch said.

"It became a mental issue, obviously. My 68 on Wednesday became 76 on Thursday and 86 in a major. It was like the bigger the event, the more pressure, the more tension, the higher the score."

It would be great to see him back on tour :) Always liked him as a player.

damoocow
3rd January 2005, 11:26 PM
haven't seen a pink golf shirt in a looooong time.
damoocow

McMw
4th January 2005, 01:04 AM
couple of sponsor's exemption here and there, but would hate to see him struggle thru Q-School...

nothing wrong with bowing out of the game the way he did...just don't like this idea of "another-comeback" phase many sportsperson seem to contemplate... :roll:

Bruce
4th January 2005, 09:23 AM
I saw that article too. He says he's shooting 60s when he goes out with his mates now which makes him think he could get back to it. He still had doubts about whether his brain would let him play well in a tournament.

I think he still makes a good commentator.

Golfgirl
4th January 2005, 09:39 AM
I saw that article too. He says he's shooting 60s when he goes out with his mates now which makes him think he could get back to it. He still had doubts about whether his brain would let him play well in a tournament.

Regrettably, the mental side is an all too important part of this frustrating game.... and I don't know if IBF will ever be able to get over this...

Still... I'd like to see him compete again.... he was a great player, and if he's still shooting 60's in his social rounds, there may be hope :D