PDA

View Full Version : wedge question

zigwah
21st May 2009, 06:35 PM
My brother has a set of j33 combos 3-pw he wants to add a vokey wedge what would you go 52,53 or 56 or something different all together. He only wants one wedge for sand and around the green

razaar
21st May 2009, 07:36 PM
56* with the flange grinded down would be my choice for only one sand iron. The grind allows the club to be opened without altering the lie of the leading edge

zigwah
21st May 2009, 07:39 PM
56* with the flange grinded down would be my choice for only one sand iron. The grind allows the club to be opened without altering the lie of the leading edge

so very low bounce? and this would have to be hit perfect of tight lies or it would be very easy to fluff?

razaar
21st May 2009, 07:50 PM
Zig...get your sand iron and sole it on a table so you can see what happens when you open the face. There are two ways of doing this, the first and the correct way is to lay the face open by moving the handle to the right and lowering it; the other way is to twist the handle to the right so the face points to the right. Notice how the leading edge sits off the table and what part of the flange causes this alteration. That is the section of the club that needs to be grinded to ensure that the leading edge when the club is opened is able to find the bottom of the ball during impact.

zigwah
22nd May 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanx for the explanation raz