PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering the game (and hopefully some new irons)

CSB
21st May 2009, 10:42 AM
Hi guys,

Started playing seriously again after a few years out of the game (school, work, life etc). I am playing with my old set of Titleist 962s which are so way out of my skill-level at the moment. Add shafts that are too stiff for a 88(ish)mph swing and club-length probably an inch too long (I am about 5'5''), and I'm sure pretty I'm making what is already a hard game even harder.

I was eyeing the Titelist AP1's as reviews seem to suggest they are forgiving but not too much so (I admit I want a club I can grow into, rather than grow out of). Plus they don't seem to be hulking monstrosities like other clubs I've seen around.

Do you guys think its worth shelling out for a new set at my stage, or should I persevere with my old set. Any thoughts?

3oneday
21st May 2009, 10:47 AM
Depends on whether you are going to keep playing I guess. Plenty of second hand sets around that would do the trick.

CSB
21st May 2009, 10:53 AM
The plan is, ofcourse, to keep playing ... a number of factors will obviously influence whether that actually happens, including whether I see some improvement. I've played with struggling with these old 962s for a while, never admitting that perhaps I should try something more forgiving.

Any second-hand models I should keep an eye out for?

Dotty
21st May 2009, 11:00 AM
Welcome CSB.

962's aren't too bad, as I know a few blokes still using them. (I used the DCI Oversize equivalents for 10 years.)

If you are in a capital city or large town, then demo days are your best option. Try the various newer models in different shaft materials and flexes. See what you like about the look and feel of each style of iron, etc.

At worst, it will narrow down selection criteria on the second-hand market, if you want to follow that path.

Enjoy.

CSB
21st May 2009, 11:07 AM
I agree Dotty, 962s aren't too bad. The feeling when you get one right in the middle is amazing! I was trying an old set of Callaway X-14s, and the touch and feel is incomparable.

I guess that is why I was looking at the AP1s. When I hit them, they are fairly close to the type of feedback I like from an iron and they aren't as punitive (significantly) as the 962s.

I may end up just going for it considering I never really do fall out of love for this game.

3oneday
21st May 2009, 12:05 PM
What about the titty 801 (??), the oversized ones, they'd be cheaper and just as good.

markTHEblake
21st May 2009, 12:15 PM
I agree Dotty, 962s aren't too bad. The feeling when you get one right in the middle is amazing!

all clubs feel amazing when you hit it in the 'sweet spot'

CSB
21st May 2009, 12:32 PM
all clubs feel amazing when you hit it in the 'sweet spot'

Well, I guess what I was trying to get at was that there is a discernable difference in how different clubs feel off the "sweet spot", and to me hitting the x-14 was not as satisfying ...