PDA

View Full Version : Callaway Build Quality

idgolfguy
21st May 2009, 10:14 AM
I popped over to friend's place (clubmaker) last night to do a shaft swapover on my X-Prototypes, which are considered a premium club from their Tour Authentic range. We measured the swingweights of the X-Prototypes, 3-PW. I understand that most won't feel the difference in 1 or 2 swingweights. I am more interested in the build quality and would be interested in knowing how other manufactures go or perhaps I was just unlucky with this Callaway set.

The Gap and SW, which are X-Forged came in at D4. The Gap wedge was longer than the SW and PW.

The swingweights of the irons ranged from C9 to D2 and in no particular order. I pulled out the shaft of the 3 iron and found a 9 gram lead weight in there. The swingweight on that club was D0.5.

We didn't do the rest of the clubs as the shafts I had were parallel tips the Callys require tapered tips. I have another set of tapered shafts in another set which I will pull out at a later date. These are in Nike Pro Combos, I will compare those swingweights in the near future before I pull them out.

Jarro
21st May 2009, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't happen with Taylormade clubs !!

;)

3oneday
21st May 2009, 10:23 AM
I could have almost predicted that response. :lol:

acem8
21st May 2009, 10:30 AM
Yours isn't the first example of heard of swingweights being all over the place. I'm currently building a set of MMB irons from Golfworks in the US. There is a sticker on each head with the weight to the nearest 0.1g and I have double checked them. The worst one was 1.7g light which is pretty good so the biggest tip weight I am adding is 2g to get constant swingweights of D1. So your 3 iron head came out 9-10g light, putting all that weight in the hosel is going to move the horizontal COG nearer to the hosel making it a harder club to hit. It will be interesting to see how they have weighted the other irons in the set.

markTHEblake
21st May 2009, 10:37 AM
Callaway clubs like all the brands are mass produced, it is highly unlikely that the mexicans in their assembly factories do any more than follow the specifications, and trust that the parts they are given are within their acceptable tolerances.

The ranges you experienced would be the norm.

It would increase construction time by perhaps tenfold for each club to be built and measured to the exact specification, and a large company couldnt afford clubmakers with the required skill in an assembly line

Acem8 - i thought i recognised you from the Maltby forum.

idgolfguy
21st May 2009, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't happen with Taylormade clubs !!

;)
Have you checked?

3oneday
21st May 2009, 10:42 AM
I think the point though is that these irons were some sort of flagship, special build and should be on spec.

Jarro
21st May 2009, 12:01 PM
Have you checked?

No.

They feel fine to me.

goonie
21st May 2009, 12:10 PM
I checked the SW of my TM TP's a month ago and they were all bang on D1.5 except the 8 iron which was less than .5 of a SW out.

idgolfguy
21st May 2009, 12:42 PM
I think the point though is that these irons were some sort of flagship, special build and should be on spec.
My point exactly!

idgolfguy
21st May 2009, 02:57 PM
These were what were measured initially:
3 - D0.5
4 - D1.5
5 - C9.0 (I could never hit this club consistently)
6 - D1 (When in doubt, I tend to use this club)
7 - D0
8 - D2 (I like this club and think it very reliable)
9 - D0.5
PW - D1
GW - D4
SW - D4

pt73
21st May 2009, 08:17 PM
I've seen the same with a set of Mizuno MP30, every shaft had a tip weight in it.

Scottt
21st May 2009, 08:34 PM
How do I measure the swingweight of my irons?

adlo
21st May 2009, 08:38 PM
How do I measure the swingweight of my irons?
Here we go...

Scottt
21st May 2009, 08:48 PM
??

I'd like to check mine.

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2009, 09:09 PM
Ask Tourfit.

Scottt
21st May 2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM

Too easy. Just need some scales...