PDA

View Full Version : Bag Make-up Confussion!!

Deano
20th May 2009, 01:51 PM
Guys

Can someone shed a little light on what the correct approach to slotting hybrids
into your set should be?
Here's what I've got to decide between at the moment......

Driver 10.5 Mizuno

3 wood 16 degrees Cally BB

5 wood 18 degrees TM Burner

7 wood 22 degrees Cally BB

3 H 20 degrees MacGregor

4 H 23 degrees MacGregor

5 iron 26 degrees Bridgestone

The 5 wood will go I'm sure as it's steel shafted which is not ideal for me.
On paper, does the 7w look like a waste? I'm starting to like these hybrids a lot.
Some of these clubs are new to the bag and I'll hit the range this week try map
distances etc
Be interested though on any thoughts (hey, it's a slow work day lol)

Deano

henno
20th May 2009, 01:57 PM
It depends. I'd ditch the 5w and 7w and just keep the hybrids if you like them. There will be a gap between your 3w and your 3h (I have the same gap) but if you are trying to stick greens from over 200m out you're a far better player than me. Otherwise, what's wrong with laying up an extra 10-15m further back with your 3h as opposed to your 5w.

These are just the thoughts of a chopper, but I just bumped the 17* out of my bag in favour of another wedge for the same reason.

Jarro
20th May 2009, 02:04 PM
I agree with henno, drop the 5w and 7wd ... especially if you like hybrids over woods.

razaar
20th May 2009, 02:27 PM
Depends on your skill level and whatever clubs you are confident with. The longer clubs are not your scoring clubs but get you in a position to take advantage of your scoring clubs (from 150 metres out). If you are in the habit of using one of your hybrids or fairway woods for chipping then that club should be included IMO. The 23* Mac would have an advantage over the Cally 7-wood, because it will have a lower trajectory more suited to a 4-iron and be easier to hit because of the shorter shaft. If you decide to replace the steel shafted 5-wood, a 19* club would be a good choice - something similar in shape & swing charactistics to your 3-wood. Hope this helps.

3oneday
20th May 2009, 02:34 PM
Some here have this problem on a weekly basis.

mikezone13
20th May 2009, 02:56 PM
I go like this...

Driver 9.5*
3 wood 15*
2 Hibrid 18 or 19* (can't quite remember)
4 hybrid 23*
5i-PW in my irons
52/56/60 wedges
Putter

I have thought about dropping the 4 hybrid but as I do chip with it now and then it stays in the bag.

WBennett
20th May 2009, 03:23 PM
Get a 4 wood and lose the 3 and 5 woods. Its the longest serving club in my bag and easily still my favourite (although it looks like its done a million rounds)

I carry 10.5 driver, 17 deg 4 wood, 21 degree Mizuno Fli Hi driving/rescue iron, then 4-W, Gap Wedge (52), SW (56), 60 lobbie.

Deano
20th May 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah I looked at the MacGregor MT 4 wood just recently, but it being so open at address scared me off.

goonie
20th May 2009, 03:49 PM
I've got
Driver 10.5
3 wood 15
Hybrid 18
Hybrid 21
Irons 4-PW
Wedges 52,58
Putter

Deano
20th May 2009, 04:02 PM
Thanx Goonie & Mike, similiar setups I see.
Will look at adopting what you blokes have done
next round.
Deano

Webster
20th May 2009, 05:20 PM
You dont really need 14 clubs these days with the hybrid replacing the long irons. This is my set up (13 clubs only):

Driver 9.5
5 wood 18
7 wood 21
hybrid 24
5-PW
52 & 58 wedges
Putter

adlo
20th May 2009, 05:22 PM
I agree with Henno's comments, esp about going for greens from over 200m.

I play

10.5 Driver
15 3W
19 2H
22 3H
4-P

Works fine.

Dotty
20th May 2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you have decided that the 5w isn't adding any value to your set, so ditch it and go initially with the two hybrid set-up.

If the 20*h stops being the reliable fairway finder (or green finder on long par 3s), then swap it out for the 7w.

Deano, you didn't mention how reliable do you hit your 3w and 7w. (And, at 16* that 3w is within a degree of a lot of 4 woods.)

Personally, I like fairway woods and currently use ...
10.5* D
15* W
18* W
23* H
5-PW (25.5* 5i)
(Subject to ho-itis.)

Deano
20th May 2009, 06:50 PM
"(And, at 16* that 3w is within a degree of a lot of 4 woods.)"

Good point Dotty.
Yeah it's a new Cally BB, the latest oversize one, I've only just picked it up and only played a couple of rounds with it. To be honest I haven't even tried it off the deck yet. Your right though, at 16 it's only 0.5 off a 4wood anyway.
I've had a 7 wood in my bag for a couple of years now and they go OK. I know one round is not enough to go on, but based on the weekend I'll leave it out and continue to put these hybrids through their paces. I've had other hybrids in the past, but these MacGregors are by far the easiest to hit that I've tried (older TM's, Wishon, and Hiereko mostly).

Deano
20th May 2009, 06:53 PM
"but if you are trying to stick greens from over 200m out you're a far better player than me"

Nah Henno, call me 'lay-up boy' - 230 with driver pulls me up.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 06:54 PM
It depends how far you hit each of those claubs, you can't make an educated recommendation based just on the names of the clubs.

Ferrins
20th May 2009, 07:19 PM
I would suggest that you mix around as much as you please until you put in a good round then stick with that setup for the next 5 rounds. Should be pretty clear if there's a change needed after that.

kwantfm
20th May 2009, 08:52 PM
Some here have this problem on a weekly basis.

Weekly? More like daily!

Moe Norman
20th May 2009, 09:22 PM
are you a kiwi making a confession about carrying 15 clubs?

markTHEblake
20th May 2009, 10:52 PM
This is my set up (13 clubs only):

Driver 9.5
5 wood 18
7 wood 21
hybrid 24
5-PW
52 & 58 wedges
Putter

Uncanny.... i have played the same the last few rounds. mainly becuase i have a small bag and too many head covers get in the way.

Driver 9.5
Hybrid 18
hyrbid 21
4-PW
52 & 56 wedges
Putter

for most of my adult life my fairway woods have been token clubs in my bag, i have always managed to get by with hitting driver and irons. the use of 3 woods is overrated IMHO as most golfers would get a much higher % out of hitting 4 irons off the deck instead

BrisVegas
21st May 2009, 08:05 AM
for most of my adult life my fairway woods have been token clubs in my bag, i have always managed to get by with hitting driver and irons. the use of 3 woods is overrated IMHO as most golfers would get a much higher % out of hitting 4 irons off the deck instead

My understanding is that most pro golfers cherish a good 3 wood and wont part with it for love nor money. If the driver's not working, these guys need something that gets the ball on the fairway.

acem8
21st May 2009, 08:46 AM
I'm considering dropping the 3 wood (rarely a % shot off the fairway) and shortening the driver to 43.5" so that I use it more often off the tee. I will then go with a 18 degree 5 wood with a shaft that won't balloon (eg Proforce/Prolaunch Red). I can then use this club on tight tee shots but still get reasonable distance. I will then go 7 wood and then 4H or 9 wood before starting the irons at 5.

razaar
21st May 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm considering dropping the 3 wood (rarely a % shot off the fairway) and shortening the driver to 43.5" so that I use it more often off the tee. I will then go with a 18 degree 5 wood with a shaft that won't balloon (eg Proforce/Prolaunch Red). I can then use this club on tight tee shots but still get reasonable distance. I will then go 7 wood and then 4H or 9 wood before starting the irons at 5.
Sounds a bit womanish.

:D

acem8
21st May 2009, 09:14 AM
I've come to terms with the fact my days of hitting a 4 iron blade/muscleback have gone. In recent times I have been leaving it in the boot of the car because its not even worth the effort carrying around for 4 hours. I find it easier to hit a high cut with a 7 wood for that distance than hit a straightforward 4 iron. I'll still keep one but I can't I can't see it going in the bag very often.

Dotty
21st May 2009, 09:23 AM
Sounds a bit 1994'ish, when we used 43" drivers, 16* '3' woods and 21* '5' woods.

Go for it Ace, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

goonie
21st May 2009, 12:32 PM

This does not work for everyone. A lot people can hit woods and hybrids far easier then long irons and find hitting long irons the hardest to hit clubs in the bag.
A guy at my club, his first iron in his bag is a 8 or 9 iron, all the rest are woods, right down to something like a 15 or 19 wood at 37* or something crazy like that. but it works very well for him, he must be 70+ and plays to a hcp of 13 or 14.
One size does not fit all.

Grunt
21st May 2009, 05:28 PM
I tried the 3w/5w and I will be going back to the 4w this weekend. I am not sure if I need the extra wedge but will look at other bag changes that meet my game a bit better. I have a 58* Vokey that I may add to my bag.

Scottt
21st May 2009, 06:39 PM
We got distances for your clubs yet, Deano?

markTHEblake
21st May 2009, 09:50 PM
This does not work for everyone. .....
One size does not fit all.

you are right with that, but you are trying to tell me a bloke who needs to play a "19 wood" is going to be just as competent with a 3W off the deck than he is with a 4i (or whatever is his equivalent will be)

The average golfer is not competent with a 3W off the deck and would save himself a lot of strokes in the long run if he hits a 4 iron and then obviously be 30m further from the green - stuff all

Scottt
21st May 2009, 09:53 PM
Blake's right. From my years playing the game, most amateurs and certainly anyone playing off more than 12 or so, IMHO, would be better off taking a club we can hit straight from 180m or more out, and then chipping on, than worrying about hitting the green with a 2 hybrid or 3-5 wood.

Yossarian
21st May 2009, 10:25 PM
I play off about fifteen or so and I'd take my three wood over the four iron anyday.
But maybe I am just a freak 8-)

BrisVegas
22nd May 2009, 08:10 AM
I play off about fifteen or so and I'd take my three wood over the four iron anyday.
But maybe I am just a freak 8-)

I'm with you mate. I've always hit 3&5 woods better than a 3 iron. For me, it's because the longer shaft forces me to swing on a flatter (better) plane than my usual upright, across the line action.

goonie
22nd May 2009, 09:31 AM
you are right with that, but you are trying to tell me a bloke who needs to play a "19 wood" is going to be just as competent with a 3W off the deck than he is with a 4i (or whatever is his equivalent will be)

Yes I am, he started with a normal setup and then he replaced a long iron with a wood, he hit it so them so much better he just kept going. And he cleans up NTP quite often too. And yes he hits is 3 wood very well. I have seen him nail some par threes and greens with it,he is not a long hitter. He is very solid tee to green, he can't putt.

The average golfer is not competent with a 3W off the deck and would save himself a lot of strokes in the long run if he hits a 4 iron and then obviously be 30m further from the green - stuff all

Most average golfers I know will and can hit a 3 or 5 wood a lot better than a 3 or 4 iron, they may not hit the woods perfectly but end up with much better results.
As I said before I think you will find the 3,4 and for some even the 5 iron are there hoodoo clubs that they avoid because they duff, hook or slice them in to the crap every time they use them.

markTHEblake
22nd May 2009, 10:10 AM
And yes he hits is 3 wood very well.

does he hit it better than his 9 wood (4 iron equivalent) : impossible

Most average golfers I know will and can hit a 3 or 5 wood a lot better than a 3 or 4 iron, I aint talking about a 5 wood, so your half arsed attempt to go off tangent doesnt work.

I dont care if they cant hit a 4 iron, they can use their 4 iron equivalent instead which most golfers use now, my point stands. If you can show me a golfer that can hit a 14 degree fairway wood better than a 24 degree golf club, then there is something very strange going on. (probably a poorly fit golf club)

Shorter shaft = easier to find centre of clubface. More loft = easier to hit straight

PeteyD
22nd May 2009, 10:24 AM
I'm with you mate. I've always hit 3&5 woods better than a 3 iron. For me, it's because the longer shaft forces me to swing on a flatter (better) plane than my usual upright, across the line action.

Says the man who hit the best 3 iron I have ever seen ...

BrisVegas
22nd May 2009, 01:12 PM
Says the man who hit the best 3 iron I have ever seen ...

it wasn't as good as the 3 wood on 18 at Kooralbyn though, now was it? ;)

goonie
22nd May 2009, 03:32 PM
does he hit it better than his 9 wood (4 iron equivalent) : impossible

I aint talking about a 5 wood, so your half arsed attempt to go off tangent doesnt work.

I dont care if they cant hit a 4 iron, they can use their 4 iron equivalent instead which most golfers use now, my point stands. If you can show me a golfer that can hit a 14 degree fairway wood better than a 24 degree golf club, then there is something very strange going on. (probably a poorly fit golf club)

Shorter shaft = easier to find centre of clubface. More loft = easier to hit straight

I said a 3 or 5 wood stupid, again you really need to learn how to read, and if you want to talk about half arsed, I'm not the one who has changed my story from 4 iron to 4 iron equivalent.

razaar
22nd May 2009, 04:33 PM
Is there something in the weather causing all this animosity? Please don't stop.
:wink:

markTHEblake
22nd May 2009, 05:45 PM
I said a 3 or 5 wood stupid

Good for you. I never mentioned 5 wood so it pointless to use it as a counter argument.

again you really need to learn how to readLast time you tried trolling that line, you were the one that couldnt read.

I'm not the one who has changed my story from 4 iron to 4 iron equivalent. Trying to make it clearer for you so you could understand the concept.

Here one more time, will try to make it easier (gee even Scottt got it)

Most Golfers woould be far better off not using a 3W off the fairway and their 4 iron instead. If they dont use a 4 iron then whatever is the BLOODY EQUIVALENT that they do use. :roll:

Now if you want to Nitpick further.
Golfers could also use a 4W,5W, 6,7,,8,9,-19W, or Hybrids or 1,2,3,4,-9,W instead of a 3W (when playing 2nd shots on par 5's for example) But to maximise accuracy and distance 'about a 4 iron' would be the most beneficial.

LarryLong
22nd May 2009, 05:58 PM
I don't bother with fairway woods anymore. It's driver - 3h - 4h and the rest irons for me. I figure (along the lines of what's been said already) that I can get around 420-450m out of Driver/3h on a good day and any hole longer than that I've got no business trying to hit in two.

The only issue I have is on holes where I'd like to have a 3w off the tee. I'm looking to develop a bit of a bunt swing with the driver to fix that one up and I'll be sorted.

CobraSS
22nd May 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm looking to develop a bit of a bunt swing with the driver to fix that one up and I'll be sorted.

golfer69 maybe able to help u out with that

goonie
22nd May 2009, 09:22 PM
Good for you. I never mentioned 5 wood so it pointless to use it as a counter argument.

You never mentioned 4 iron equivalent either genius.

Trying to make it clearer for you so you could understand the concept.

Here one more time, will try to make it easier (gee even Scottt got it)

Most Golfers woould be far better off not using a 3W off the fairway and their 4 iron instead. If they dont use a 4 iron then whatever is the BLOODY EQUIVALENT that they do use. :roll:

Now if you want to Nitpick further.
Golfers could also use a 4W,5W, 6,7,,8,9,-19W, or Hybrids or 1,2,3,4,-9,W instead of a 3W (when playing 2nd shots on par 5's for example) But to maximise accuracy and distance 'about a 4 iron' would be the most beneficial.

MTB you can't totally change your statement from 3 wood vs 4 iron, to 4 iron or equivalent, and continue arguing as if thats what you said in the first place. your original statement was a 4 iron, and that is what I have been debating, if you going to change your story you may to deal with your original statement first. example, "yes for the average golfer a 3 wood may be easier to hit than a 4 iron". then you can debate the topic with your modified statement.

acem8
23rd May 2009, 10:43 AM
I was reading in an old edition of Golf Digest yesterday that if you swing 85-100 mph and rarely take divots with your long clubs (ie a sweeper) then you should be playing 3 fairway woods (3, 5, 7) and then a 4H and start the irons at 5. If you have a steeper angle of attack you would replace the 7W with 3H and maybe 5W with 2H.

Anyone who thinks a 3 iron is still worthy of a place in their bag hasn't discovered the right head/shaft combo for a hybrid or fairway yet. Times are a changing, people are leaving their egos in their trousers and are being realistic about their swing speed/carry distance, happier to use lighter shafts - even in the irons, happy to use the shaft that matches their swingspeed rather than just going for the one that says 'S' on it.

It winds me up something stupid when I hear people telling me how they hit it 270m and how they need a superstiff shaft. I'm a 6 handicap and an average hitter for that handicap. I use a regular shaft in my driver and carry it a touch over 200m at the range. Rarely do I see anyone hitting it further than that. Be realistic about your standard and buy/build the clubs to suit. And also use a ball suited to your swing speed, not tour players who swing 115 mph+

OK, rant over..:smt013

Moe Norman
23rd May 2009, 11:16 AM
most golfers would find it much easier to hit a 3 wood than a 4 iron.

markTHEblake
23rd May 2009, 11:48 AM
and that is what I have been debating

which means the point went over your head. If Scottt can understand it, anyone can.

You never mentioned 4 iron equivalent either genius. Its pretty hard for a golfer to hit a 4 iron if he doesn't use one, you really are a nit picker. Quite obviously if a golfer hits woods better than his long irons than he shouldnt be carrying long irons.

Instead of handing out the insults, why don't you address the concept. Convince me that a golfer is better off hitting the longest club possible when he cant reach the green, instead of sacrificing approx 15% for a lot more accuracy.

goonie
23rd May 2009, 12:52 PM
which means the point went over your head. If Scottt can understand it, anyone can.

Its pretty hard for a golfer to hit a 4 iron if he doesn't use one, you really are a nit picker. Quite obviously if a golfer hits woods better than his long irons than he shouldnt be carrying long irons.

Instead of handing out the insults, why don't you address the concept. Convince me that a golfer is better off hitting the longest club possible when he cant reach the green, instead of sacrificing approx 15% for a lot more accuracy.

A bit hard when you keep changing your story/point.

I don't need to convince you, just because you struggle with woods doesn't mean everyone does.

So are saying a lot of average golfers are better off 15%+ back and in the crap than closer and in the crap or better because they don't duff or hit a huge curving shot with there 3 wood. Or because they don't hit the ball very long they should turn par 4s and 5s into par 5s and 6s

markTHEblake
23rd May 2009, 12:58 PM
A bit hard when you keep changing your story/point.

No changing the story, i was trying to make it easier for you to understand, but your nit picking wont allow you to get overt that/

Scottt got it first time, but you cant.:roll:

So are saying a lot of average golfers are better off 15%+ back and in the crap than closer and in the crap or better because they don't duff or hit a huge curving shot with there 3 wood. Or because they don't hit the ball very long they should turn par 4s and 5s into par 5s and 6snever said anything like that at all. That is a pathetic strawman argument.

goonie
23rd May 2009, 04:08 PM
No changing the story, i was trying to make it easier for you to understand, but your nit picking wont allow you to get overt that/

Yes you did. You saying you were trying to make it easier to understand just sounds like you covering your arse.

markTHEblake
23rd May 2009, 04:11 PM
Yes you did. You saying you were trying to make it easier to understand just sounds like you covering your arse.

Scottt got it, i didnt have to paraphrase it for him. :roll:

goonie
23rd May 2009, 04:12 PM
never said anything like that at all. That is a pathetic strawman argument.

What's wrong, is it to much like what really happens a lot of the time for the average golfer.

goonie
23rd May 2009, 04:13 PM
Scottt got it, i didnt have to paraphrase it for him. :roll:

I think might have just got sick of your crap

Grunt
23rd May 2009, 04:17 PM
I tried the 3w/5w and I will be going back to the 4w this weekend. I am not sure if I need the extra wedge but will look at other bag changes that meet my game a bit better. I have a 58* Vokey that I may add to my bag.

Sorry for the semi on topic post in amidst of yet another OzGolf cat fight.
Taking the 3w & 5w out and getting the extra wedge helped out today. Played my best for quite some time.

You can now continue the catfight.

Iain
23rd May 2009, 04:30 PM
I think a miss hit with a 4 iron would be straighter than a 3 wood....

markTHEblake
23rd May 2009, 04:47 PM
What's wrong, is it to much like what really happens a lot of the time for the average golfer.

I dont care to discuss that because I never said any such thing, so doing a "so what you are saying ....:" and making something up is a strawman and thats the debating strategy of a loser trying to win crowd points.

I think might have just got sick of your crap

you wouldnt have if you could get over the obsession you have with singling me out often enough. I have no idea where you came from, did I run over your bike when you were a kid or something.

If you cant stand it - stop.

goonie
23rd May 2009, 05:22 PM
:-)
Just keep back pedaling MTB

markTHEblake
23rd May 2009, 06:15 PM
i ran over your bike and then backwards too? wow no wonder you are cut.

I am not going to change the opinion I gave, ever.

goonie
23rd May 2009, 09:13 PM
Why doesn't that surprise me.