PDA

View Full Version : Help! My USB adapter won't work

moree golfer
20th May 2009, 12:38 PM
I bought a Belkin USB adapter to connect wirelessly to my wireless router. I followed the installation instructions to the letter but cannot get the adapter to fire up. The light flashes intermittently but never solid like it's supposed to. I can see my network but it just won't connect. I have had no luck with Belkin help (in India FFS) or my ISP (quite helpful but still no dice). Any ideas from the tech legends on here? If I can't get it going my next step is to get a refund on my purchase and buy an UltraUSB from Freenet Antennas online.

henno
20th May 2009, 12:41 PM
I would say it is simply a network related issue. You are using the wrong protocol, wrong encryption, wrong passphrase, some box is not ticked or field not filled.

That is the most likely cause, especially as it can see your network (which tells me the USB and the wireless chipset are working as they should).

moree golfer
20th May 2009, 12:51 PM
I have checked I am using WPA, passphrase has been altered in the modem setup page to make sure that it is right. My LAN cable is still connected, would it be causing an issue?

henno
20th May 2009, 12:54 PM
try unsecuring the network for just a minute or two and see if you can connect. If you can, you know it's a setting problem.

moree golfer
20th May 2009, 01:14 PM
Already tried that to no avail. Are Belkin crap? I thought it would be easy to connect up, my router talks to my laptop ok (its got a Network card). I have tried the USB on my laptop as well with no joy.

henno
20th May 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm at a loss. Have you tried to beg/borrow/steal another wireless adapter? See if that works, just to ensure it is hardware.

moree golfer
20th May 2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know anyone with an adapter I could borrow. I think it's going back to Hardly Normal and I'll ask for a refund. I like the sound of the Freenet Antennas' UltraUSB, read a bit on Whirlpool forums and it seems like it's worth taking the plunge and buying at $60 delivered (same as the Belkin).

henno
20th May 2009, 01:37 PM
Why are you so set on USB? Get a PCMCIA card instead if your laptop supports it, or a PCI if it's a desktop.

zigwah
20th May 2009, 03:04 PM
options advanced advanced 802.11 B and G mix, try that mate

zigwah
20th May 2009, 03:05 PM
Why are you so set on USB? Get a PCMCIA card instead if your laptop supports it, or a PCI if it's a desktop.

Hard to find these now everything is usb

henno
20th May 2009, 03:13 PM
Hard to find these now everything is usb

Lies. You're telling me it's hard to get a PCI card? Biggest load of bullshit I've heard all week.

zigwah
20th May 2009, 03:17 PM
I just bought one mate, all i could get was usb, same as morees i suspect. DO you always talk like that? or just on the net? Was just explaining my experience oh pci guru.

Cheers

Zig

henno
20th May 2009, 03:21 PM
I always talk like that. Take no offense.

And there is literally a dozen PCI and PCMCIA wireless network cards at Umart. (http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=122)

zigwah
20th May 2009, 03:26 PM
I went to hardly normal

markTHEblake
20th May 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know anyone with an adapter I could borrow.

Take your Laptop and uSB modem anywhwere and try to connect to something/anything. Mcdonalds have free wireless - if they have not updated to open internet you can still get a Bigpond landing page

Belkin are fine, in fact if i was going to buy something i would probbaly choose them over the others.

and like Henno said, turn off all your security and try again.

henno
21st May 2009, 07:36 AM
if they have not updated to open internet you can still get a Bigpond landing page

You now land at a Maccas Free Wifi page, where you need to accept a TOS/AUP, and are then directed to a page which shows you your session duration and amount left out of the 50mb allowance they give you.

Protip for the geeks: It is all based on the MAC address of the device and nothing more. I wrote a little script that assigns a random spoofed MAC address, so effectively it is unlimited free internet. Anyone live next to a McDonalds? :razz: