PDA

View Full Version : Ping W-TS Wedges?

Veefore
20th May 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I was hoping to use some of the collected wisdom of the members.

I am looking for a new lob wedge and the new Ping W-TS 60° wedges seem like they may make a good replacement for my old Vokey 60.04.

Has anyone here had any experience with the new Ping's and how do they compare to the Vokey's.

Thanks in advance.

GB

gazgolf1
20th May 2009, 11:36 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I was hoping to use some of the collected wisdom of the members.

I am looking for a new lob wedge and the new Ping W-TS 60° wedges seem like they may make a good replacement for my old Vokey 60.04.

Has anyone here had any experience with the new Ping's and how do they compare to the Vokey's.

Thanks in advance.

GB

Not a fan, I prefer Vokeys or Callaway X forged.
I found the Ping Tour W too light and did'nt spin enough.

chappy1970
20th May 2009, 12:22 PM
Veefore welcome.

I very much like the look of the Ping Tour W, but have not used them as yet.

adlo
20th May 2009, 12:25 PM
In general, Ping wedges don't get that much love.

henno
20th May 2009, 12:48 PM
I think virge gave them an emphatic "meh" in his brief review. I think he said they were no worse but no better than the average wedge.

aussiemuggolfer
20th May 2009, 01:01 PM
Iv'e had both and i reckon Vokey, Vokey or a Vokey. If a chopper like me can work one ok they must be good clubs !!!!

razaar
20th May 2009, 01:10 PM
I quite like the Ping wedges, nice weight and balance. The head may be a little big for some but that soon goes with familiarity. Detest wedges that are too heavy, makes it difficult playing the precision & delicate shots they are designed for.

mikezone13
20th May 2009, 03:01 PM
Interesting razaar, I hate light wedges because I can't 'feel' the head when swinging one.

I had a cleveland that was so light even lead tape didn't get it to a decent enough weight.

Everyone that has picked up my Vokeys has said they are heavy (no lead tape) - does anyone know if they're heavier than the norm?

razaar
20th May 2009, 03:12 PM
I like my wedges to be between 300 and 310 gm, the lob being the heaviest head. Anything over 310gms messes with my feel. The Ping wedges feel good to me.

zigwah
20th May 2009, 03:12 PM
Interesting razaar, I hate light wedges because I can't 'feel' the head when swinging one.

I had a cleveland that was so light even lead tape didn't get it to a decent enough weight.

Everyone that has picked up my Vokeys has said they are heavy (no lead tape) - does anyone know if they're heavier than the norm?
Have you found the vokeys heavier that the mp-t raws? Mike

mikezone13
20th May 2009, 03:36 PM
Have you found the vokeys heavier that the mp-t raws? Mike

Nope... both had a nice solid weight feeling to them.

virge666
20th May 2009, 04:03 PM
Gone to Wishon Wedges.

My Ping set is up for sale.

henno
20th May 2009, 04:05 PM
Gone to Wishon Wedges.

Micro CXs? How are they so far?

goonie
20th May 2009, 04:13 PM
I have Nike VR wedges, the are great and they have huge grooves and plenty of spin, great for the hard fast greens at my club.

virge666
20th May 2009, 05:04 PM
Micro CXs? How are they so far?

PCF Micro tour.

They have the kind of sole I like - you can open them up and get zero bounce. bloody sensational. They also have more grooves on the face and are spin milled.

As good as my old vokeys and cost $50 a head.

Enjoy

virge666
20th May 2009, 05:05 PM
I have Nike VR wedges, the are great and they have huge grooves and plenty of spin, great for the hard fast greens at my club.

They have to be better than the SV wedges... they were awful

Bungeye
20th May 2009, 06:03 PM
Virge, you tried the Wishon PCF Micro Tour wide sole ones? I'm giving a 55º one a run and it's a sensational chipping club.

I prefer the PCF Micro Tours to the CX Micros, although, they are both excellent. Keep losing the damn things to playing partners though

virge666
20th May 2009, 06:25 PM
Virge, you tried the Wishon PCF Micro Tour wide sole ones? I'm giving a 55º one a run and it's a sensational chipping club.

I prefer the PCF Micro Tours to the CX Micros, although, they are both excellent. Keep losing the damn things to playing partners though

Hate wide soles mate - they shit me to tears.

I play most of my wedge shots with the club open - so wide soles are a no go.

virge666
20th May 2009, 06:28 PM

This wouldn't be THE Veefore from ISG - would it ?

adlo
20th May 2009, 06:51 PM

Wondered the same thing

Webster
20th May 2009, 06:53 PM
The PING Tour wedges are better.

Bungeye
20th May 2009, 08:06 PM
Not up to laying the wedge open yet, just a recipe for me killing someone on an adjacent fairway

virge666
20th May 2009, 08:42 PM
Not up to laying the wedge open yet, just a recipe for me killing someone on an adjacent fairway

LOL.

goonie
20th May 2009, 11:29 PM
They have to be better than the SV wedges... they were awful

I didn't like the look of the SV wedges either, but the VR have the high rev grooves and the heel and trailing edge grind that lets you open them up.

giddyupgaz
21st May 2009, 05:21 AM
Another vote for the Ping Wedges here, got some last year and love 'em.

Have been tempted to buy a set of Wishon's, just don't come across them very often here in Rural Vic.

razaar
21st May 2009, 06:50 AM
The trick is to aim the leading edge at the target then lay the head back (to how open you want it); notice how the butt moves to the right and lowers. Now adjust your alignment so that the butt points to your belly button and maintain more knee flex. Swing normally to where your shoulders are pointing, keeping the face of the club aiming at the target.

Bungeye
21st May 2009, 08:05 AM
I'll give it a go tomorrow. If anyone is playing Wynnum tomorrow arvo, take a helmet :oops:

henno
21st May 2009, 08:06 AM
Wynnum will be a mess tomorrow arvo after all of this rain.

Veefore
21st May 2009, 09:21 AM

G'day Virge. Long time no see. I still remember that 320+ metre drive you hit at Kennedy Bay. :mrgreen:

Yeah. I haven't been to ISG for ages. I really hated the new forum layout that ISG started using and I noticed all the knowledgeable people had disappeared. I found this site while searching Google for the ping wedges.

I kinda lost interest in golf for a while, hardly even playing for the last year and a half. I have been preoccupied restoring an old Norton Commando for myself and helping my Dad restore his Velocette Viper.

Bungeye
21st May 2009, 09:53 AM
yeah true Henno, most likely be a swamp. Might try Carbrook, it drains really well

henno
21st May 2009, 10:02 AM
yeah true Henno, most likely be a swamp. Might try Carbrook, it drains really well

I live not 500m away from Wynnum GC, so I'll drive past and report back this afternoon :)

Bungeye
21st May 2009, 10:52 AM
cool thanks, although don't go out of your way, I can almost see it from my office! Been pretty clear today, so might be OK tomorrow, although, both my kids schools near here were shut yesterday arvo as there was so much rain...

Veefore
29th May 2009, 11:07 AM
Has anyone tried the Eidolon wedges?

They have been recommended to me by someone on an American forum as being suitable for my type swing.

Basically, I used to use a Cobra Greg Norman signature wedge which has a lot of bounce but a very narrow sole. I got very comfortable with it and received a lot of positive comments from others when using it. About two and a half years ago I picked up the Vokey from an ex Euro Senior Tour player and have been using it ever since. About 2 years ago I started to struggle with the Vokey, I would occasionally chunk a delicate shot and naturally, after a chunk the next three shots are thinned trying to "not chunk".
I have started thinking about a wedge with more initial bounce (around 8° or more) at the leading edge but tapering off to a more normal 4°-6°. That way, there is much less likelihood of the leading edge digging in to the soft turf in winter but the leading edge will still be low enough to get under the ball in my clubs firm bunkers and roadbase paths. I thought I was a bit crazy in my thinking but it turns out that this is the exact philosophy behind the Eidolon wedges, hence my question.

simmsy
29th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Veefore,
At hartfield I find Cleveland DSG work great out of our bunkers. Went through a bit of trial and error last year with wedges and these guys work a treat out of the bunkers especially once they bake as you would know they do in summer.
I use a 60/04 for the bunkers around the greens mostly
and a 54/12 for the longer stuff off the edge of the greens.

The DSG's might be worth a look, i get heaps of spin from them and you can work the bounce of the club as to how you like it for the shot.

simmsy..

Veefore
10th June 2009, 09:23 AM
I tried a Ping Eye 2 Plus lob wedge on sunday in our Pennant Fundraiser Ambrose event. I really liked the feel of it and made three crucial up and downs. The ping has a really unusual bounce (to me anyway) but it seems like it really works.

just
10th June 2009, 09:26 AM
I tried a Ping Eye 2 Plus lob wedge on sunday in our Pennant Fundraiser Ambrose event. I really liked the feel of it and made three crucial up and downs. The ping has a really unusual bounce (to me anyway) but it seems like it really works.

i-wedges are supposed to be very similar to Eye 2 wedges.

Veefore
10th June 2009, 10:53 PM
i-wedges are supposed to be very similar to Eye 2 wedges.

Yeah but the eye 2 Plus wedges are different again to the regular eye 2 wedges. I am going to look at the Clevelands as suggested by Simmsy but if a cheap eye 2 plus comes up I might go that way. The 58° seems to suit me as well. Suprisingly, they also spin like a Vokey spin milled for me.