PDA

View Full Version : Best way to improve club/swing speed

grandmasterb
19th May 2009, 11:13 AM
Just wondering whats the best way to work on improving my club/swing speed???

adlo
19th May 2009, 11:18 AM
I want to beat Mark the Blake to it....

Swing faster

3oneday
19th May 2009, 11:21 AM
Those Speed Sticks are apparently OK for it.

Jono
19th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Don't you already hit the ball 250 meters on the fly? :-k

Or was that a "Grand Masterbation"? :razz:

For what it's worth, I agree with aldo. Swing faster, not harder. Think supple quickness. Make some practice swings and try to make the loudest "swish" you can.

Lucasto23
19th May 2009, 11:35 AM
get a club kite, way cheaper than speed stick and Steve bann gives both of these products a rap on his site

adlo
19th May 2009, 11:40 AM
Swing a broom

virge666
19th May 2009, 11:45 AM
Just wondering whats the best way to work on improving my club/swing speed???

Gym.

Lucasto23
19th May 2009, 11:49 AM
Swing a broom

Yes the triangle shaped straw brooms are great. and provides two levels of resistance in one broom. absolute bargain at $20 from bunnings:lol:

Peter
19th May 2009, 11:50 AM
Jono,

Isn't he going to look a bit stupid yelling out 'swish' every time he takes a practice swing?

sms316
19th May 2009, 11:55 AM
Try to increase your arc. Look at Camilo Villegas - he doesn't get anywhere near parallel, but his wide arc ensure plenty of speed.

Jono
19th May 2009, 12:01 PM
Hmmm ... I was going to keep it simple but ... ;)

get a club kite, way cheaper than speed stick and Steve bann gives both of these products a rap on his site

I don't agree that the club kite will significantly increase your clubhead speed. It might be good for teaching acceleration through impact but not for speed. You have to train to swing fast in order to swing fast. Club kite trains you to swing slow.

Swing a broom

Another aid that will slow you down. Again might be good for acceleration and smoothing your swing but it will slow you down.

Gym.

If you are talking about the standard reps/sets to failure (what I call "bodybuilder's workout") I disagree. Good for muscle hypertrophy but again you are training to move a heavy thing slow. Lifting weights is useful for preventing injuries but not creating speed.

Another thing to stay away from is swinging a heavy club like Momentus.

If anything, make a light club. Swing that fast.

LarryLong
19th May 2009, 12:09 PM
I think Jono's right. It's been proven a couple of times that practicing with something heavier than a normal club (or something with resistance) actually slows down your swing. Well, it does if you warm up with one before hitting, anyway.

My advice is to grunt loudly while swinging.

PeteyD
19th May 2009, 12:10 PM
Virge looks like he reps to failure a lot!

Harvey always said to swing a heavy club, and a broom. So according to him you are totally wrong. I think he knew a bit about golf for a silly old fart.

virge666
19th May 2009, 12:21 PM
Virge looks like he reps to failure a lot!

Exactly - :) :)

High reps - Low weight.

Shitloads of cardio. Rowing and Bike.

dan
19th May 2009, 12:23 PM
Try to increase your arc. Look at Camilo Villegas - he doesn't get anywhere near parallel, but his wide arc ensure plenty of speed.
He's ranked 35th in driver distance. Not bad for half a swing.

Lucasto23
19th May 2009, 12:24 PM
[quote=Jono;318333]Hmmm ... I was going to keep it simple but ... ;)

I don't agree that the club kite will significantly increase your clubhead speed. It might be good for teaching acceleration through impact but not for speed. You have to train to swing fast in order to swing fast. Club kite trains you to swing slow.

I will let you know if the above is true in the next month, i don't agree but the test will reveal all:-k

Jarro
19th May 2009, 12:25 PM
If anything, make a light club. Swing that fast.

Or grab your driver by the head and swing it the wrong way around ..... like Stenson does

zigwah
19th May 2009, 01:29 PM
surely for the most part it's all about technique? I mean I'm about 6" 3' and only weigh in between 75 and 80 kg atm, so not big by any means, but i do have an athletic build, and generate a fair bit of club head speed, not super fast, but i think the secret is to keep that power train going from start to finish?

Thoughts?

PeteyD
19th May 2009, 01:33 PM
It is the speed at impact that matters.

grandmasterb
19th May 2009, 06:37 PM
Those Speed Sticks are apparently OK for it.

I bought a pair off another member here for a mate and gave them a quick try but still a little skeptical that they can "actually" help increase your speed!!!

Don't you already hit the ball 250 meters on the fly? :-k

Or was that a "Grand Masterbation"? :razz:

For what it's worth, I agree with aldo. Swing faster, not harder. Think supple quickness. Make some practice swings and try to make the loudest "swish" you can.

No "Grand Masterbation" Jono, i've played many a round with "braddles" and there isn't much between us off the tee and i probably hit my irons longer than he does.

Hopefully if i make it upto the Ozgolf champs we can play a round together and you can judge for yourself though :wink:

Of course he gives them a rap, he sells the bloody things and cashes in a nice little profit.

Gym.

Here lies the problem virge, i already train in the gym and have altered my program (originally golf focused) and even though its been a couple of weeks i've noticed a major change in my swing and cant really attribute it to anything else.

I feel like im swinging slower but obviously more balanced but have noticed that with the driver/hybrid im probably 10-15m shorter. Given that my irons haven't lost any distance i just "assumed" that i might be swinging slower with the driver hence the results!!!

Here lies another problem, about 6weeks ago the local pro told me to "narrow" my arc as that was the cause of my inconsistency and lack of fairways hit off the tee.

I dont know if i should of stuck with my old swing and just slowed it down to get the ball in play or work with what i have now and look for a little more club speed???

surely for the most part it's all about technique? I mean I'm about 6" 3' and only weigh in between 75 and 80 kg atm, so not big by any means, but i do have an athletic build, and generate a fair bit of club head speed, not super fast, but i think the secret is to keep that power train going from start to finish?

Thoughts?

Im 6'3" and about 100kgs and i guess you could say i have an athletic build :mrgreen:

I swing at around 100mph but feel that i have more in me but its technique that lets me down (unable to take a full coil) so i tend to swing a little more with the arms. My main focus for the rest of this year is to increase strength/flexibility (mainly in my back) and then work on getting a full coil and follow through to finish.

I'll have to get some video up so you can all pick it apart and help me drop another 4 shots before xmas :mrgreen:

Cheers Ben

Scottt
19th May 2009, 06:42 PM
Work on core exercises. That's where you store power in the first part of the swing, and also where you hold your posture, etc. It is the engine room of the swing.

markTHEblake
19th May 2009, 07:15 PM
Im 6'3" and about 100kgs and ...
... I swing at around 100mph but

I am 5'9", weigh 68kg, and i swing it 102-104mpg at last measure a few months ago. And I am no Carmelo Villegas either - far from it as the other Ozgolfers would attest! As far as strength goes, last time I went to the gym, i could only benchpress 15kg (just managed 10 reps), and most chicks beat me in an arm wrestle.

You got 6" and 30kg on me, So if I can swing it as fast as you, what does that say?

Get a lesson, You are obviously are slapping it like a sheila. :razz:

oh, and what Adlo said.

razaar
19th May 2009, 07:23 PM
Work on your form, a 50 kg kid with good form can easily blast it past much bigger and stronger players who display lesser form. If you don't understand the fundamentals of the golf swing as they pertain to you then sign up for lessons and ask lots of questions. Don't leave any one lesson without fully understanding what you have to work on and why. Its a good idea to have a minimum of 3 weekly intervals between lessons to allow yourself time to work on what you have learnt. No sense wasting your $$$ being told the exact same thing the next week. We learn the golf swing by feel not by pictures; the only thing we can relate to during play is the feel of what we have learnt during practice.

Scottt
19th May 2009, 07:30 PM
last time I went to the gym, i could only benchpress 15kg (just managed 10 reps).

Doesn't the bar alone weight 15?

Please tell me you weren't just benching the bar! :lol:

Jono
19th May 2009, 09:00 PM
No "Grand Masterbation" Jono, i've played many a round with "braddles" and there isn't much between us off the tee and i probably hit my irons longer than he does.

Hopefully if i make it upto the Ozgolf champs we can play a round together and you can judge for yourself though :wink:

Sounds good. Please do make it to the Champs. It shows what this forum is about. Unlike other golf forums, we actually play golf together.

As to grand masterbation, I was only joking ... So what does grandmasterb mean anyway? :razz:

BTW, If you drive the ball 250m on the fly, you are probably swinging it faster than 100mph ... more like 110-115mph.

adlo
19th May 2009, 09:06 PM
BTW, If you drive the ball 250m on the fly, you are probably swinging it faster than 100mph ... more like 110-115mph.

I heard it was 2.5 yards for every mph of clubhead swing with the right smash factor.

Jono
19th May 2009, 09:22 PM
I heard it was 2.5 yards for every mph of clubhead swing with the right smash factor.

250m = 275 yards.

adlo
19th May 2009, 09:24 PM
250m = 275 yards.

Thank you Einstein :smt038

1 inch= 2.54 cms
1kg= 2.2lbs

Next!
I wasn't disputing your comments

Scottt
19th May 2009, 09:25 PM
It's actually 273.4 yards, but let's not split hairs :lol:

I'd love to see the bell curve starting at 1pmh up to 100mph.

I can't imagine a 1mph swing would carry the ball 2.5 yards.

grandmasterb
20th May 2009, 11:36 AM
Work on core exercises. That's where you store power in the first part of the swing, and also where you hold your posture, etc. It is the engine room of the swing.

Working on core strength and i've already noticed the difference in balance and set up but as stated still have a lot of work to do here.

I am 5'9", weigh 68kg, and i swing it 102-104mpg at last measure a few months ago. And I am no Carmelo Villegas either - far from it as the other Ozgolfers would attest! As far as strength goes, last time I went to the gym, i could only benchpress 15kg (just managed 10 reps), and most chicks beat me in an arm wrestle.

You got 6" and 30kg on me, So if I can swing it as fast as you, what does that say?

Get a lesson, You are obviously are slapping it like a sheila. :razz:

oh, and what Adlo said.

Thats just the thing, after the pro changed my swing i've only started to notice the difference and loss of distance with the driver. I'll give it some more time and work on the changes and see what happens over the next few weeks i guess and go from there.

Work on your form, a 50 kg kid with good form can easily blast it past much bigger and stronger players who display lesser form. If you don't understand the fundamentals of the golf swing as they pertain to you then sign up for lessons and ask lots of questions. Don't leave any one lesson without fully understanding what you have to work on and why. Its a good idea to have a minimum of 3 weekly intervals between lessons to allow yourself time to work on what you have learnt. No sense wasting your $$$ being told the exact same thing the next week. We learn the golf swing by feel not by pictures; the only thing we can relate to during play is the feel of what we have learnt during practice.

Wanted to get the body right before i take any lessons otherwise it would be a waste of money at the moment.

Sounds good. Please do make it to the Champs. It shows what this forum is about. Unlike other golf forums, we actually play golf together.

As to grand masterbation, I was only joking ... So what does grandmasterb mean anyway? :razz:

Checked it this morning and its a touch over 104mph but still doesn't feel right :-k

Im hoping to make the champs but wont know if i have work committments for another couple of months yet or not.

Oh and "grandmasterb" comes from Married with Children and just stuck for the last 10+ years ;)

mrbluu
30th May 2014, 11:57 AM
Any updates on this???

grandmasterb
6th June 2014, 07:16 PM
Any updates on this???

I haven't played much golf the past 3-4 years so no real updates from me but I'll check back in 6 months ;)

mrbluu
6th June 2014, 07:27 PM
I haven't played much golf the past 3-4 years so no real updates from me but I'll check back in 6 months ;)

Looking forward to it!!!