PDA

View Full Version : Measuring iron distances

Scottt
18th May 2009, 07:39 PM
Virge mentioned in his thread that he would be using a launchy to get his clubs to an exact 10m gap.

Got me thinking that I would like to work out exactly how far I hit my new S58s. I have always had distances for my clubs, but they were never actually calculated correctly.

I know many will say on a still day go into a flat field/range and measure, but flat ranges and still days a few and far between here.

But I do have an indoor centre near my office with a lanchy.

How trustworthy is a good launchy at telling me my carry distances if I make sure I use the same balls as I use on the course?

luza
18th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Try two different launch monitors and average results.

Mayhem
18th May 2009, 10:56 PM
I have always found it difficult to work out distances with irons. I go to two different ranges and get two different distances. They are different to the course I play and the range at that course is different to the course itself. Averaging them all is all I could do. If I get new clubs or shafts it will all start again.

Does anyone know if where there are launch monitors in Perth?

adlo
18th May 2009, 11:03 PM
I don't rate launchies. Get on the course, use a laser rangefinder to the pin or take a sprinkler reading to centre of green (and then work out pin distance from there).

schanop
18th May 2009, 11:04 PM
Grab a range finder and head out for practice rounds. When the course is quiet is the best time. Mark the flag, pick the stick, fire a few shots, and take yardage measurement.

Mayhem
18th May 2009, 11:08 PM
I don't rate launchies. Get on the course, use a laser rangefinder to the pin or take a sprinkler reading to centre of green (and then work out pin distance from there).

I am not sure they would be effective. It would be an interesting third opinion. I wouldn't mind a lazer finder but.................the cost. How much for an effective finder?

Scottt
18th May 2009, 11:14 PM
I have always found it difficult to work out distances with irons. I go to two different ranges and get two different distances. They are different to the course I play and the range at that course is different to the course itself. Averaging them all is all I could do. If I get new clubs or shafts it will all start again.

Does anyone know if where there are launch monitors in Perth?

Are you using range balls? If so, that'd be why.

Grab a range finder and head out for practice rounds. When the course is quiet is the best time. Mark the flag, pick the stick, fire a few shots, and take yardage measurement.

Hitting maultiple balls is not possible much at my home track, so would have to do it at the course down the road, but still days remain the issue, there's a 1-2 club wind blowing in London 90% of the time.

But if I was in a net and hit 12 pills with each iron, I'd get a good idea of what the yardage is for each club. The question is not what is the best way to do it, but whether a launchy is accurate enough.

adlo
18th May 2009, 11:15 PM
I am not sure they would be effective. It would be an interesting third opinion. I wouldn't mind a lazer finder but.................the cost. How much for an effective finder?
Depends on the US exchange rate :mrgreen:

Seriously, they are way overpriced unless you grab a bargain from the US. Maybe a few hundred bucks if you get a bargain :cry:

adlo
18th May 2009, 11:16 PM
But if I was in a net and hit 12 pills with each iron, I'd get a good idea of what the yardage is for each club. The question is not what is the best way to do it, but whether a launchy is accurate enough.
In my experience, I think they are semi accurate, but never spot on.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 11:18 PM
What is your experience? What sticks have you had a distance from a launchy compared to real life. Using the same balls etc?

I'm not being smart, by the way. The launchy companies would have you believe they are spot on...

Johnny Canuck
18th May 2009, 11:19 PM
i have found launch monitors to be very inaccurate. i wouldn't trust them at all. after a couple of rounds you should have a good idea, and they shouldn't been much different than your old clubs, if the lofts are similar.

adlo
18th May 2009, 11:25 PM
What is your experience? What sticks have you had a distance from a launchy compared to real life. Using the same balls etc?

I'm not being smart, by the way. The launchy companies would have you believe they are spot on...
I have hit irons, hybrids, fairways and drivers.

Not using my ball of choice, but have hit with 2 piece and 3 piece. They are OK, but IMO cannot account for many variables that exist between golfers.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 11:31 PM
Was it telling you longer, or shorter? Or both?!

Moe Norman
18th May 2009, 11:33 PM
most golfers with a hcp over 5 would have a 20 yard spread for any club longer than a 9 iron anyway. So having something close to what you think is an exact yadage would do more harm than good.

adlo
18th May 2009, 11:36 PM
Was it telling you longer, or shorter? Or both?!
I found driver pretty close.

Hybrid was reading longer. Either that or I flush hybrids in the nets.

Irons slightly shorter.

Fairways pretty close too.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 11:38 PM
most golfers with a hcp over 5 would have a 20 yard spread for any club longer than a 9 iron anyway.

Due to swing varying, or off-centre hits?

From hitting balls on a fetch-it-yourself range I know all my irons have a small distance dispersion when hit well, from +/- 3m for 8-W to +/- 5m or so for 4i-6i

The goal, I think, is to get a yardage for flushing it, given no one stands over the ball thinking, "yep, bit of wind, just gonna almost shank it over the front trap and let it release out".

adlo
19th May 2009, 01:26 AM
Due to swing varying, or off-centre hits?

From hitting balls on a fetch-it-yourself range I know all my irons have a small distance dispersion when hit well, from +/- 3m for 8-W to +/- 5m or so for 4i-6i

The goal, I think, is to get a yardage for flushing it, given no one stands over the ball thinking, "yep, bit of wind, just gonna almost shank it over the front trap and let it release out".

:lol:

Agreed that most decent (low-mid markers) players know distances within 5m, although they will not hit it that far every time (mis hits etc.) It doesn't negate the need to know reasonably accurate yardages Moe.

qbnchopper
19th May 2009, 09:47 AM
Have to factor in duffage to every shot !!!

virge666
19th May 2009, 10:16 AM
You need something that measures ball speed.

Everything is ball speed. Even the cheap LM from Zelocity will do the trick.

Avoid anything that has clubhead speed. Clubhead speed is a crock of shite.

virge666
19th May 2009, 10:18 AM

Dumb. Think about that a bit more... then think about the bag setup thread that U8er did.

Scottt
19th May 2009, 04:36 PM
Care to explain, Virge?

I want to know how far I hit each club, so when I do that fancy calculating the distance thing you and uber were on about I know which stick to grab.

Johnny Canuck
19th May 2009, 05:16 PM
I still think the best thing to do it get outside and hit them in proper conditions, ie, off grass where there will be different resistance than a mat, etc..

Start keeping track of distances when you play and over a short period of time you will have a fairly accurate number. If this takes you longer than two rounds, you just might be mildly retarded.

Taking the distances generated by a computer in a perfect environment is foolish in my opinion.

The last launchy I was on told me that I was hitting everything right, even when I tried to hook the ball. I couldn't hit everything right if my life depended on it.

The launchy numbers are only going to be more useful than what you will get on the course if you are going to be playing a simulated course on that monitor.

rebjon
19th May 2009, 06:16 PM

I'm amazed how much more accurate I am when I get a yardage from you Aldo, to the pin rather than using the sprinklers and tee markers alone.....

After comparing the laser to sprinklers i actually think i hit a little further than i estimated....prior to playing with you and using the laser.....

Scottt
19th May 2009, 06:19 PM
I still think the best thing to do it get outside and hit them in proper conditions, ie, off grass where there will be different resistance than a mat, etc..

Start keeping track of distances when you play and over a short period of time you will have a fairly accurate number. If this takes you longer than two rounds, you just might be mildly retarded.

Did you read the OP, JC? Grass fetch-it-yourself range near home really isn't doable, and even if it was, I have no distance measuring device and still days are rare.

Down at my course there is rarely less than two clubs of wind, and most of the away golf I'm playing is on the seaside as well, so taking yardages during games is not going to work - and besides that, I don't really want to be flying greens fotr 36 holes before I get my shit together.

adlo
19th May 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm amazed how much more accurate I am when I get a yardage from you Aldo, to the pin rather than using the sprinklers and tee markers alone.....

After comparing the laser to sprinklers i actually think i hit a little further than i estimated....prior to playing with you and using the laser.....

You are welcome ;)

Scottt
19th May 2009, 08:49 PM
There's a funny story about Virge, MTB and a pair of binoculars waiting to be told...

adlo
19th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Do tell

Scottt
19th May 2009, 08:59 PM
Not mine to tell. Virge would tell it better anyway.

Enjoy.

Johnny Canuck
19th May 2009, 11:11 PM
Are they similar shafts to what you have been using?

How close are the lofts in degrees?

You shouldn't be flying too many greens if they are at all similar to your old set. (Unless Ping has done a 1990s Cobra and lowered the degrees by about 4 per club).

My new irons are an inch shorter than my oldies, the lofts are pretty close. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in distance.

Unless there are some big differences, you'll be fine. Your best thing is going out and hitting what you normally would and seeing if there is a different result. At our level, knowing exact differences doesn't mean too much into 2 club breezes.

You are better learning them in the conditions that you play in. I know all about windy courses being at Kennedy and there is a demand to play different types of shots in the wind. A launchie won't help you with that.

I did read the original post, but still think you are wasting yout time (and money?) with a monitor. Knowing that you hit a 6 iron 150 according to a computer means f-all with big winds and other variables.

I do admire your ambition though. I wish I was good enough to be able to hit the same club within 5 metres or so every time.

Do you still have your old set? If you really feel the need, compare and iron from each set into the launchie and see what it says. I just wouldn't put too much faith in the actual distances, just the comparison.

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Got my hands on a leica DISTO laser meter from a mate going to measure out some distances tomorrow say 50 100 150 200 250 would anyone else dothese increments or should i do others?

henno
19th May 2009, 11:27 PM
I want to know, with all of this practicing, how you pick up all the balls? And what sort of condition your back paddock is in.

Scottt
19th May 2009, 11:28 PM
Are they similar shafts to what you have been using?

How close are the lofts in degrees?

You shouldn't be flying too many greens if they are at all similar to your old set. (Unless Ping has done a 1990s Cobra and lowered the degrees by about 4 per club).

Shafts in these are ZZ65 (which I am told is like an S300SL) after having R300s in the Mizzies. Might compare lofts and see, though Ping has .5 and .25 of a degree lofts. Dunno why, they can't seriously think their tolerances are that good! The Pings are .25" shorter than ther Mizzies

Unless there are some big differences, you'll be fine. Your best thing is going out and hitting what you normally would and seeing if there is a different result. At our level, knowing exact differences doesn't mean too much into 2 club breezes.

Great point.

Do you still have your old set? If you really feel the need, compare and iron from each set into the launchie and see what it says. I just wouldn't put too much faith in the actual distances, just the comparison.

They're gone, so no can do

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:32 PM
I want to know, with all of this practicing, how you pick up all the balls? And what sort of condition your back paddock is in. 3 wheel motorbike and a ball picker upperer paddocks are ok they nee some soil conditioning if i wanna grow grass Doc says i need to get some hobbies and this way i don't need to talk to anyone.

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:35 PM
This might sound a bit wierd but other than doctors and my partner and children you guys are the only people i really talk too.

Scottt
19th May 2009, 11:38 PM
We're glad to perform a service, Zig.

Who do you play golf with other than your boy?

adlo
19th May 2009, 11:39 PM
This might sound a bit wierd but other than doctors and my partner and children you guys are the only people i really talk too.
Last time we were talking I think something called Cimicky Shiraz was mentioned. How did that go? :mrgreen:

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:40 PM
iv'e played with my partner shes nbo good but she comes out for me and ive played with 2 guys from here, numbers arent my thing atm but getting better.

Scottt
19th May 2009, 11:42 PM
Fair enough mate. It sounds like you went through a fair bit while serving. Golf's a much better thing to get addicted to than a lot of other things out there!

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:43 PM
Last time we were talking I think something called Cimicky Shiraz was mentioned. How did that go? :mrgreen:

yeah, did you want a six pack or 2 bottles i think i have a 2 bottle styrofoam pack somewhere? not sure what postage to where you are would be, last time i got 2 bottles from dubbo it was10 or 15 i think

Maybe ring cimicky first and see if they have any 06, the 07 might be good too low yields strong berries

adlo
19th May 2009, 11:45 PM
iv'e played with my partner shes nbo good but she comes out for me and ive played with 2 guys from here, numbers arent my thing atm but getting better.
Good to hear.

Re: wine, I will PM you. Cheers Zig.

zigwah
19th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Fair enough mate. It sounds like you went through a fair bit while serving. Golf's a much better thing to get addicted to than a lot of other things out there!

yup

just
20th May 2009, 05:59 PM
Its good to know there are folks out there with a lovely sense of innocence Scottt, its a credit to you.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 06:25 PM
Ummmm... thanks?

virge666
20th May 2009, 06:35 PM
Zig !

Grips for Shiraz ? I have two Chimicky 2003 Shiraz's left - frigging awesome.

=====================

The idea is to get a range for each iron. if I flush it - it goes THIS far. If I miss it - it goes THIS far. The better you are the smaller the range.

You can then look at a shot with your laser ranger and see where the best RANGED shot should be played.

Choppers go out with only one number for each club.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 06:49 PM
The question is, Virge - given you have a number for missing it - how often do you pull a club with that intention?

I have all sorts of knock-downs, choke-downs and stuff, but that all gets calculated from a central point.

I hit x club y distance. Lie, wind, slope and ground conditions give me my effective distance and I relate that to the numbers I have for each club.

From there it's a case of feel to say "I want to keep this under the wind, so it's a punch 6i off the back foot" or something like that.

Where am I going wrong? and
Why do I want to know how far I toe a 6i, given I never draw the club intending to do that?

virge666
20th May 2009, 07:41 PM
I hit x club y distance. Lie, wind, slope and ground conditions give me my effective distance and I relate that to the numbers I have for each club.

Wrong.

Your are a par 3.
- to clear the bunker is 145m,
- the back of the green is 172.
- The pin is 151m.

You think 151m - i can hit 7i 151m, that is my central number. You hit it miss it by a bit and you are in the bunker.

Better way of thinking. I can hit my 7i anywhere from 140-155m. I can hit my 6i 150-165m.

You pull 6i and hit it - this take the bunker out of play. Also you don't take 6i and take a bit off - you just hit it normally knowing that you ain't going to get into trouble.

Working with a RANGE is better than the bullshit idea of i hit my club this number. Because quite honestly - you ain't good enough to hit it to a number. Neither am I for that matter. We just have different skill level in distance control.

Arnold Palmer said this.

A shit golfer comes home thinking of all the good shots he hit today.
A good golfer thinks of all the bad shots he didn't hit today.

So screw trying to find a number. Go and hit 15 shots with a 7i, measure the furthest and shortest and write it down. Don't take an average, take the range.

Now you are armed with good information when facing an approach shot. it takes your stress level WAY down and gets your mental game in gear.

Enjoy

Scottt
20th May 2009, 07:43 PM
Enjoy

Thanks, I always do. Honestly.

Some great points there.

When you doing that swing video for me? I want to know the dozens of things I am doing wrong. I crave public humiliation!

PeteyD
20th May 2009, 08:37 PM
Dickhead!

Just for some public humliation Scottt.

Are the 15 m variances typical Virge, or did you just pull that outa your butt?

virge666
20th May 2009, 08:41 PM
Are the 15 m variances typical Virge, or did you just pull that outa your butt?

Pulled from my butt.

For me - PW is about 6m, my 4i is about 15m. It will change from club to club.

PeteyD
20th May 2009, 10:15 PM
ok. Time for some experimenting, at least once the monsoon ****s off.

u8ergolfer
20th May 2009, 10:43 PM
I See some lights going on here.......

zigwah
20th May 2009, 10:56 PM
Zig !

=====================

The idea is to get a range for each iron. if I flush it - it goes THIS far. If I miss it - it goes THIS far. The better you are the smaller the range.

You can then look at a shot with your laser ranger and see where the best RANGED shot should be played.

The 06 flogs the 03 virge

zigwah
20th May 2009, 11:02 PM
Not sure if i missed something in the translations here but if i did and i'm sorry if i didn't have the ****ing guts to man up and not snipe mofo, this is starting to piss me off **** knuckle

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:17 PM
What are you on about, Zig?

zigwah
20th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Zig !

=====================

Juat got what you meant virge, ive been on the jacks barrel all night if you want some 06 cimicky for some grips let me know.

zigwah
20th May 2009, 11:26 PM
Its good to know there are folks out there with a lovely sense of innocence Scottt, its a credit to you.

I don't know how to take this comment.

A bottle of jacks barrel 4 diazapam and 60 mg of morph mightg have clouded my judgment, and it it has im sorry,

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:28 PM
No Zig, I think he was suggesting you are an addict of some dodgy description. I bite at his crap too often. Ignore the bitter prick.

zigwah
20th May 2009, 11:47 PM
Just for the record i am not an addict, i take what the doctor prescribes and resist requests to up my morphine intake, i'm sure i will have a hard time weaning of morphine as everyone would, i dont take the shit to get high and it shits me that someone may insinuate that, i don take anti d's by choice i resisted all attempts to have them until it was affecting my marriage and atm i am in the middle of a washout before beginning yet another drug, educated people will know what i'm talking about and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy, people high up im the defence force are the people who are sending people like my self over the edge and it has been happening for decades, until the Otama story, then there was a shake up and vet affairs seem to be bending over backwards to help now

This is how bad it is a guy who has never seen action you may have a aasm but you know **** all, i have been fighting vet affairs for years for ptsd and then all of a sudden after 5 years it gets tacked onto the end of a letter that i have been accepted for it after every civvy guy i went and saw said what are they on about how can they say you dont have ptsd and then after i have been accepted i have to wait six months from date of acceptance for permanent impairment, and my doctor says theyre dreaming, ****ing buerocrats they factor there money for bombs but not thr after math and i resent any suggestion i am soft so respectfully **** you.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:49 PM
Fair spray given the veiled accusation that caused it.

zigwah
21st May 2009, 12:07 AM
no one in chat? im up for a chat wine golf whatever?

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2009, 01:04 AM
No Zig, I think he was suggesting you are an addict of some dodgy description. I bite at his crap too often. Ignore the bitter prick.

I took it as just a shot at Scottt, not Zig, but I could be wrong.

Scottt
21st May 2009, 01:18 AM
I thought he was saying I was innocent for thinking Zig wasn't addicted to drugs/booze.

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2009, 01:39 AM
It's very cryptic.

just
21st May 2009, 08:24 AM

Scottt,
I'll make it simple for you. The comment wasn't any reference to Zig's taking of drugs, illegal or otherwise, I have no interest in it if he has does. I believe Zigwah is liar and I have no interest in responding to most of his posts.

The comment was aimed at yourself, although you are not the only one, for believing his stuff. You are free to do so, and I am free to believe you are naive for doing so.

I find it unusual though, because you feel free in delivering your cynicism and insults to others on the basis of lesser evidence. How does that work?

How can you bite at crap when I have not posted anything related to you or anything that could be percieved as negative for a while? You are full of it!

In what way am I a bitter prick? If we are going to throw insults around based on not much, then I think you are childish, shallow and spoiled with an inflated sense of ego. Happy?

Scottt
21st May 2009, 08:34 AM
Of course, Just, you're firing wildly for no reason. All is as it should be with the world ;)

Spoiled?
Shallow?

Now they are strange insults to hurl at someone you've never met. I do look forward to you fleshing that out a bit for me.

3oneday
21st May 2009, 08:41 AM
gee, look what my apathy made me miss.

:roll:

just
21st May 2009, 08:42 AM
Of course, Just, you're firing wildly for no reason.

In what sense Scottt? I've explained my reasons, hardly firing wildly.

Spoiled?
Shallow?

Now they are strange insults to hurl at someone you've never met. I do look forward to you fleshing that out a bit for me.

No less strange than calling me a bitter prick. Happy to meet you anytime Scottt, indeed I would be happy to meet Zigwah if he came to Brisbane. You get a better sense of the real self via meeting in person that does not always translate via the screen.

Mayhem
21st May 2009, 01:15 PM
This post went in a violent direction away from measuring iron distances.

It seams most threads go this way once all of the good info has been comunicated?

sms316
21st May 2009, 01:15 PM
Wait till the narwals get involved.

Mayhem
21st May 2009, 01:25 PM
Wait till the narwals get involved.

Narwals??

just
21st May 2009, 01:31 PM
A toothed whale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narwhal
attractive to Henno.

henno
21st May 2009, 01:34 PM
Did someone say narwhals?

=P~

=P~

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3408/narwhaldm0509800x533.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8058/narwhalpod600.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2138/narwhalq.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/598/narwhal2.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/182/narwhal3.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4850/narwhalinthewater.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8277/narwals.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1420/narwhals.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3658/narwhalw.jpg

henno
21st May 2009, 01:34 PM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5551/narwhalsi.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/66/narwhal1.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7684/narhvaler1003.png

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5086/narwhal.gif

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/916/narwhals04.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6918/noname1p.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7738/13narw1583.jpg

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm soooo happy that they're back!

Also happy that post 2000 was relating to a narwhal!

Henno, can you find me 2000 of them to commemorate this event?

zigwah
21st May 2009, 02:06 PM
Scottt,
I'll make it simple for you. The comment wasn't any reference to Zig's taking of drugs, illegal or otherwise, I have no interest in it if he has does. I believe Zigwah is liar and I have no interest in responding to most of his posts.

The comment was aimed at yourself, although you are not the only one, for believing his stuff. You are free to do so, and I am free to believe you are naive for doing so.

I find it unusual though, because you feel free in delivering your cynicism and insults to others on the basis of lesser evidence. How does that work?

How can you bite at crap when I have not posted anything related to you or anything that could be percieved as negative for a while? You are full of it!

In what way am I a bitter prick? If we are going to throw insults around based on not much, then I think you are childish, shallow and spoiled with an inflated sense of ego. Happy?

That's a big accusation Just, what evidence do you have i am a liar, if you are going to throw around that word maybe you should have evidence?

A you in the services?

I would like to get this sorted out once and for all.

Mayhem
21st May 2009, 04:30 PM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5551/narwhalsi.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/66/narwhal1.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7684/narhvaler1003.png

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5086/narwhal.gif

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/916/narwhals04.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6918/noname1p.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7738/13narw1583.jpg

:smt038

Kind of look like D***heads . Got it.....

PeteyD
21st May 2009, 07:56 PM
Ffs bunch of pricks.

;)

adlo
21st May 2009, 08:09 PM
Narwals??
That is Henno's dream post, right there.

adlo
21st May 2009, 08:10 PM
Henno's face when he saw post #70....
http://i41.tinypic.com/noyphh.jpg

Scottt
21st May 2009, 08:23 PM
So anyway. I am heading to a little nine-hole course near my home tonight to get some distances. It's supposedly pretty quiet on weekday evenings, so I should be able to spend some decent time hitting balls from different distances.

Still, no laser or GPS, so I'll be hoping their distances are correct on the five par threes.

markTHEblake
21st May 2009, 10:06 PM
I believe Zigwah is liar and I have no interest in responding to most of his posts.

opinons are like arseholes, everyones got one, so now its my turn.

Just, am disappointed to read that, the L word should not be used around here even if its the reality. Whatever he said doesnt affect us, we can either believe ue or take it with a grain of salt of varying size according to taste :), but calling someone a liar is just too much.

Most people have credibility to back up what what they have said, there is no need to call em on it. If they are lying or stretching the truth they will get caught out in the end.

AndyP
21st May 2009, 10:26 PM
Dickhead and wanker is still okay though, isn't it?

PeteyD
23rd May 2009, 12:17 PM
Only if there are Narwals.

3oneday
23rd May 2009, 01:54 PM
How many threads are about Zigwah ? it's almost as bad as the number about scottts somethingorother :lol:

Can we just stop encouraging him/them please ? It's beginning to be like talking to my 7 year old !

CARN YOU DOGGIES !

rubin
19th December 2011, 02:54 PM
just a minor amount of thread mining going on here.

not to hark back to the bullshit involved (and no, not digging for the Zig references), but how many people still use this way of measuring (i.e range finder, launchie etc.) and does it still hold up?

idgolfguy
19th December 2011, 03:04 PM
Laser, because GPS is not accurate enough.
Still doesn't help with non-full swings due to lack play and consistency.

IanO
21st December 2011, 03:10 PM
This is an interesting topic for me as I have tried a couple of different methods to measure and in the end I always come back to the same numbers and a decision process on how I am going to hit the ball to the point I want:
PW - 100-110m
9 - 110-130m
8 - 125-140m
7 - 140-155m
6 - 150-165m
4 - 160-175m
3 - 170-190m

With the Launch Monitor I hit 10 or 15 balls with a club and take and average then work a 10-15m spread

With a Laser I hit 10-15 balls then measure from the balls back to the hitting point and work out a 10-15m spread

After I make a club selection it is all about mentally locking in a distance and ball flight.

rubin
21st December 2011, 03:15 PM
granted i'm a chopper - but the shorter the iron, the less the margin for error for me. i.e with a 5 iron, I would allow about a 15 - 20m spread length wise (say 170m - 185/190m), but head on down to the PW and I can pretty much rely on that for 120m give or take a few either way.

Again, it may just be me, but I would have thought this to be the case (probably more so) for the better players/lower cappers.

IanO
21st December 2011, 03:48 PM
I think you are right. I allow the spread as a means of decision making rather than how far I hit an individual club. The shorter the iron the more likely I am to be close.

Pieface
21st December 2011, 03:54 PM
How do you tie this into your club up and swing easy philosophy Rubes?

rubin
21st December 2011, 04:02 PM
How do you tie this into your club up and swing easy philosophy Rubes?

Considering you've seen me swing before - swing easy for me is still about 90% effort (instead of 110%). More recently, the club I go with isnt the club that i have "frickin nail" to get it there. if i've got 155m, i wont take 7i, i'll take 6 and put a smooth swing on it, knowing that it'll go pretty close to the mark, whereas previously i'd take 7i and go after it (meaning it could go anywhere)

Shadesy
21st December 2011, 04:34 PM
I play by Feel!