PDA

View Full Version : Something totally insane or brilliant.

virge666
16th May 2009, 11:50 PM
OK, here is the plan.

With Lucas' set of cheap blades that look exactly like Mizzy MP67... I am going to make a set of 8 irons that hit the ball exactly, or as close as I can, to every 10m.

So PW will be 110m, 9i will be 120m, 8i will be 130m and so on. I will put a set of stock S300 shafts in and use my little ball speed monitor to see if i can get each club as close to 10m as possible.

So each club will go as close to the 10m breaks as possible. I will use my Lie-Lofter to bend each club to WHATEVER loft is required to make it go that distance.

Anyone heard of this before ? Anone got any reading i can do other than bend with reckless abandon?

simmsy
17th May 2009, 12:01 AM
let me know how that works out for you Virge......
in another 10years or so!:lol:

I can see much frustration coming your way to get perfection.

Unless you were able to source a robot swing machine, i think swing repetition is going to be the hardest thing.

By the way if we are taking a poll on this -

INSANE 1 BRILLIANT 0

Scottt
17th May 2009, 12:41 AM
Brilliant, infinitely frustrating and ultimately soul destroying.

I reckon you should play with length and loft to make them all go an identical distance :lol:

sms316
17th May 2009, 04:47 AM
This thread is useless without a poll.

Dotty
17th May 2009, 07:43 AM
I thought my clubs already cover exactly 10m increments.
What happens in reality, I just put down to user error.

Yippee ... now I can blame my equipment again.

ps. Like all equipment experiments, I'd be interested in reading about the journey ahead.

virge666
17th May 2009, 07:45 AM
I can see much frustration coming your way to get perfection.

That's the ticket !

On a range I can usually get the ball in somewhere about +-3m to a number... BUT, when on a course I still have that urge to make the 9i go 130m.

This change of tack with club selection does two things;

1. I simply look at a shot and with wind/slope and the like call a number, then hit that club.
2. Use the same swing all day long. Anyone who has played with me knows that I play all kinds of weird and wacky shots all day. This way is one swing all day long.

I am hoping to change my mentality on the golf course.

Everyone has this BS idea that each club has 10m difference. In the US everyone believes each club has a 10 yard difference. Personally I will be interested to see what actual lofts make the 10m difference. Then grip down one inch for the XX5m shots.

I am rather excited about this... but there again I am a middle aged married man with 2 kids - so it doesn't take much anymore.

virge666
17th May 2009, 07:49 AM
This thread is useless without a poll.

Ask and you shall receive.

just
17th May 2009, 08:05 AM
I like polls.

Are you going to muck around with length or just loft? Either way it wil be interesting to see the outcome.

virge666
17th May 2009, 09:16 AM
I like polls.

Are you going to muck around with length or just loft? Either way it wil be interesting to see the outcome.

You cannot muck around with length. A particular length suits every player - if you screw around with length then you screw around with the consistancy of the hit. And that defeats the purpose.

I like a 38.5" 5 iron in my other clubs and I will continue with the same length in these clubs.

zigwah
17th May 2009, 09:36 AM
i was always told find out how far u hit ur 7 iron say 150 and add or take 10 metres as you go up or down the clubs.

Maybe thats why i didn't get my handicap down as far as i could?

virge666
17th May 2009, 09:44 AM
i was always told find out how far u hit ur 7 iron say 150 and add or take 10 metres as you go up or down the clubs.

Exactly what most people think - which is a crock of shit. I am yet to meet anyone who REALLY has a 10m gap in their irons.

schanop
17th May 2009, 09:59 AM
OK, here is the plan.

With Lucas' set of cheap blades that look exactly like Mizzy MP67... I am going to make a set of 8 irons that hit the ball exactly, or as close as I can, to every 10m.

Make them a set of nine please :-) and 10 yards gap.

virge666
17th May 2009, 10:02 AM
Make them nine please :-) and 10 yards gap.

You know. . . I was thinking that.

But all Aussie golf is in meters, and 180m is a lot further than 180 yards !!!

:)

schanop
17th May 2009, 10:27 AM
You can make the 2 a two-hundred-yard club :-) With 38.5 "inch" 5 iron and your mastery, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Nowadays I still multiply every marker I see around here by 1.1 or take up the range finder set in yardage up. Old habit dies hard.

Yossarian
17th May 2009, 11:09 AM
What happens when you need to hit 125m?

dan
17th May 2009, 11:34 AM
1. I simply look at a shot and with wind/slope and the like call a number, then hit that club.
2. Use the same swing all day long. Anyone who has played with me knows that I play all kinds of weird and wacky shots all day. This way is one swing all day long.

In theory yes. In practice no. Mentally it will be a tough battle to deal with the wind (that throws out you chart for X club for Y distance) and your emotions (from previous shot/hole).

LarryLong
17th May 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm always interested in stuff like this. I wasn't aware that the current traditional club set-up wasn't done to distribute hitting distances evenly, in fact I'm a bit surprised it isn't. I guess you can go with higher gaps in distance as the shot gets longer because the accuracy isn't there anyway, right?

Lucasto23
17th May 2009, 12:38 PM
OK, here is the plan.

So PW will be 110m, 9i will be 120m, 8i will be 130m and so on. I will put a set of stock S300 shafts in and use my little ball speed monitor to see if i can get each club as close to 10m as possible.

So each club will go as close to the 10m breaks as possible. I will use my Lie-Lofter to bend each club to WHATEVER loft is required to make it go that distance.

Anyone heard of this before ? Anone got any reading i can do other than bend with reckless abandon?

If i knew this is what you wanted to do, I should have charged you more:roll:

good luck with it as i have always used the 10m gap as a rule of thumb but know it's not true .so i wanna know the specs as soon as you get them right:-k

have fun and they will be posted out tuesday and are all wrapped in bubble wrap on heads and the faces and back got a nice clean for you yesterday, just wish i could have buffed them up for you as they always look sweet after a good buff:cry:

markTHEblake
17th May 2009, 12:39 PM
Great idea. but how do you test them?
you need to find a flat range, no wind and be able to measure where the ball lands, not finishes.

Jarro
17th May 2009, 03:55 PM
Virge, you need to check out redtube.com and get some of the tension out

virge666
17th May 2009, 05:08 PM
What happens when you need to hit 125m?

Grip down 1". That bit is easy

Great idea. but how do you test them?
you need to find a flat range, no wind and be able to measure where the ball lands, not finishes.

The launch monitor will take care of that.

A little bit of Tera Patrick and Sophie Moon to while away the later hours. :) Nice.

The plan is to make a set of METRIC clubs. As i said - this could be fun.

sms316
17th May 2009, 05:12 PM

A little bit of Tera Patrick and Sophie Moon to while away the later hours. :) Nice.

Heather Brooke, or for something special - Cytheria.;)

Yossarian
17th May 2009, 05:22 PM
Are you going to do a special set of woods and wedges as well? Can you only putt in 10m units like i already do:lol:

henno
17th May 2009, 05:23 PM
for something special - Cytheria.;)

Never take on this girl in a pissing contest. You'll lose.

virge666
17th May 2009, 05:41 PM
Are you going to do a special set of woods and wedges as well? Can you only putt in 10m units like i already do:lol:

Wedges yes !! - i have some of teh latest Wishon series here. 52,56 and 60

As for Woods - Who cares how far woods go ?

Jenni Lee
Sammy Jayne
&
Hannah Harper

Topper4000
17th May 2009, 09:12 PM
82mph avd iron swingspeed with level AOA gives
lw bent to 52.5deg 100m
gw bent to 49deg 110m
pw bent to 46deg 120m
9i bent to 43.5deg 130m
8i bent to 39.5deg 140m
7i bent to 35deg 150m
6i bent to 30deg 160m
5i bent to 23.5deg 170m
41 bent to 18deg gives extra meter or two. so swing harder to get 180m at 90mph 25degs will do it.
I.M.O. don't bother. 4 degs between each works for 95% of golfers just go and play golf

Tongueboy
18th May 2009, 07:48 AM
get a mistress

idgolfguy
18th May 2009, 09:21 AM

Maybe thats why i didn't get my handicap down as far as i could?

10m gaps is just easier maths and not really true. Those who use yards, use 10 yd gaps. With that reasoning, those that use yards are always going to play shorter.

Jono
18th May 2009, 01:15 PM
Virge, just out of curiosity, when you miss a green, do you miss it long/short or left/right?

virge666
18th May 2009, 01:24 PM
Virge, just out of curiosity, when you miss a green, do you miss it long/short or left/right?

D... All of the above.

kwantfm
18th May 2009, 03:55 PM
PLEASE IGNORE ME... I CAN'T READ...

I'm thinking that you'll have a lot of trouble bending the irons the required amount (I'm thinking there'll be a bit of snapping going on). Also won't there be big bounce issues for the added loft clubs as well as negative bounce for the lower lofted clubs?

There's a guy in the US who builds clubs like this... I think the website name is 1irongolf.

T

3oneday
18th May 2009, 03:58 PM
There's a guy in the US who builds clubs like this... I think the website name is 1D10Tirongolf.

T;)

henno
18th May 2009, 03:59 PM
There's a guy in the US who builds clubs like this... I think the website name is 1irongolf.

Yep, that's him. Except all of his clubs are the same length as well, I believe. Just the loft changes.

virge666
18th May 2009, 04:39 PM
PLEASE IGNORE ME... I CAN'T READ...

I'm thinking that you'll have a lot of trouble bending the irons the required amount (I'm thinking there'll be a bit of snapping going on). Also won't there be big bounce issues for the added loft clubs as well as negative bounce for the lower lofted clubs?

not at all mate - i own a grinder and they are forged blades.

Just not an issue.

kwantfm
18th May 2009, 04:55 PM
grinder = loss of weight (fixed with lead tape or tip weights?) and rust?

virge666
18th May 2009, 05:44 PM
grinder = loss of weight (fixed with lead tape or tip weights?) and rust?

I am only taking two degree or so of bounce off the club - i will use tip weights anyway to get them up to D4 and D5.

Not too fussed about rust... Hit a few shots in the bunkers to clean them

Enjoy

PeteyD
18th May 2009, 06:11 PM
He is a crack ho, so he is always sure. Nutball Virge, have fun doing it.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 06:20 PM
Virge,

I have an idea.

In honour of the "talent" mentioned in this thread, see-through grips with a pic of each of the girls underneath would be, ummm, tasteful :lol:

Christine Young and Avy Lee Roth.

virge666
18th May 2009, 07:15 PM
Virge,

I have an idea.

In honour of the "talent" mentioned in this thread, see-through grips with a pic of each of the girls underneath would be, ummm, tasteful :lol:

Christine Young and Avy Lee Roth.

OK - i have a set of clear grips. We are going to need stickers and JPG to print on them.

I will need 8 jpgs - tasteful of course... don't want to get suspended.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 07:17 PM
When this set is built, it would attract some spirited bidding in the pro shop.

Listing those wedges tonight?

Kiwi Sweet.
"Oh, I assure you sir, I'm 18!"

qbnchopper
18th May 2009, 08:42 PM
Never take on this girl in a pissing contest. You'll lose.

by a long long long way - she goes off like a .....

virge666
19th May 2009, 10:28 AM
I just realised that I can then give each club a name. "Yes" named all their putters after the PGA tour player's wife name. I will do the same.

I am 154m meters out, that is a "knock down" Sophie. (Rugby League player's club)

or

110m - that one is a "Smooth Tera"
115m - I could lean on Tera for that one or go down a bit on Hannah

I like it !

schanop
19th May 2009, 10:43 AM
Nostalgic, hey! Like the famous Calamity Jane :-D

Jono
19th May 2009, 11:11 AM
Did anyone go down to Calamity Jane?

virge666
19th May 2009, 11:44 AM
Did anyone go down to Calamity Jane?

If she is anything like the chick in "Deadwood" - don't think so.

sms316
19th May 2009, 11:56 AM
I just realised that I can then give each club a name. "Yes" named all their putters after the PGA tour player's wife name. I will do the same.

I am 154m meters out, that is a "knock down" Sophie. (Rugby League player's club)

or

110m - that one is a "Smooth Tera"
115m - I could lean on Tera for that one or go down a bit on Hannah

I like it !
You would be a certainty to spray it with Cytheria.

henno
19th May 2009, 02:48 PM
You would be a certainty to spray it with Cytheria.

Ahahahah :smt038:smt038:smt038:smt038

Scottt
19th May 2009, 04:39 PM
I love it. Virge, how hard would it be to fill in the numbers on the sole and engrave each lovely's name on there?

grandmasterb
26th November 2009, 11:15 PM
How'd this end up going virge???

Scottt
27th November 2009, 01:04 AM
Well he either threw his back out bending over the tool bench for hours at a time or "auditioning" the pics for under the grips...